Hold The Front Page

I have a request and it could lead to us grabbing Front Page News in The Chron on Tuesday.

I don't want to go into detail but I believe it is vitally important that we find someone to stand against Councillor Philip Harrison in The Royton South Ward at the next Council Elections. His seat is up for re-election in May 2008.

What we need is someone who would be prepared to put themselves forward as an Independent Candidate.

Please, please, please think very deeply before putting your name forward. You will need to be prepared to work really hard over the coming months and also, if succesful, you will have a duty to work on behalf of all your constituents. It will mean meetings; surgeries; appearances etc. and will probably mean you have little free time.

In return, you will get a lot of the privileges given to a Local Councillor. You will also get total support in your Campaign for Election from myself and many others. That will include professional advice as to how to go about the job from people already involved in Council Business.

In other words, you would not be alone and will be helped and assisted.

We need to act quickly though. We have the manpower to make it happen and as we have seen so far, we really can make the difference.

Ideally, I would like to unveil this candidate on Monday afternoon in front of the Press. I will assist in the writing of any Press Releases and Speeches. I know there are hundreds of others who will help also in whatever way that they can.

If you are serious and interested, please PM me or email me at inspiral_carpet@owtb.co.uk. While it may not be a job for you, perhaps you are aware of someone who doesn't use the Messageboard who would be ideal. This isn't just about Latics and so the Candidate we choose may have other ambitions.

The main thing is to show Philip Harrison that he has real and serious competition for his seat in Royton South between now and next May.

This is a brilliant idea. I don't actually live in Oldham any more but do have experience of one issue candidates (as this could be called) They can be very effective in concentrating the mind of our elected representatives. It's usually the threat to their expenses which has the most effect. I am more than happy to help in any way with canvassing, leaflets etc and will do what I can to help. I just hope we can get someone to stand against the Councillors who voted against this proposal.

Is that not true of all our respective proffessions??? All because of this damn board..... :wink:

Exxxccuussee Me... I have taught myself the fine art of Multi tasking (usually the wifes claim to fame). So that I can organise my case notes. Speak to Providers and have some office banter. All whilst reading this fine message board...

:mainstand:

I was going to stand for election in hollinwood but have since given up and left the town....its a shame because I would of been really up for it!

Can I just say, whoever is going to stand then you must have a real commitment to do the job properly and repersent the people that vote for you! It would be great to have Oldham fans in postion of power but the council is failing because it has people on the council who do not care enough about the people they repersent. If you do this with just the aim to get Oldham a new ground / sway future decisions Oldham Athletics way then you really shouldnt stand.

Edited by oafc0000

I was going to stand for election in hollinwood but have since given up and left the town....its a shame because I would of been really up for it!

Can I just say, whoever is going to stand then you must have a real commitment to do the job properly and repersent the people that vote for you! It would be great to have Oldham fans in postion of power but the council is failing because it has people on the council who do not care enough about the people they repersent. If you do this with just the aim to get Oldham a new ground / sway future decisions Oldham Athletics way then you really shouldnt stand.

I can't say I agree with you there OAFC. As long as you make it patently clear you are a one issue candidate, you stand on that basis. If people decide to vote for you then they are left in no doubt as to what you are there for. A local guy stood in Calderdale on the platform of Save Our Hospital and got voted in. He worked on that issue only and was successful. When he had finished he resigned. If our candidate made it clear that he was going to work only on OAFC's bid for planning permission he wouldn't be diverted by all the other council crap. It all depends on the support he would receive.

If your a one issue party you wont get in, hence making the whole affair pointless....

I personlly wouldnt vote for someone standing in my ward saying there only concern is the Club.....and im a Oldham fan! Oldham, as a town is more important its just that in this case what the football club is trying to achive benefits the club and the town!

We have to fight this from the point of view of the council failing the town and this is one massive example. Please only stand if you care about the TOWN and want to improve Oldham. Are councilors need to offer more than one issue concerns otherwise you just become another Bashforth but from a different side of the line.

Edited by oafc0000

If your a one issue party you wont get in, hence making the whole affair pointless....

I personlly wouldnt vote for someone standing in my ward saying there only concern is the Club.....and im a Oldham fan! Oldham, as a town is more important its just that in this case what the football club is trying to achive benefits the club and the town!

We have to fight this from the point of view of the council failing the town and this is one massive example. Please only stand if you care about the TOWN and want to improve Oldham. Are councilors need to offer more than one issue concerns otherwise you just become another Bashforth but from a different side of the line.

Either you're missing the point - or this is the point.

Earlier you said "whoever is going to stand then you must have a real commitment to do the job properly and repersent the people that vote for you!"

Unless you are standing on one issue in a ward, you will be duty bound to do what the incumbent Councillors have done ie protect their voters/constituents. If you stand on a single issue, then such conflict and responsibility won't arise.

It's doubtful whether a single issue candidate would get elected in a ward - if the issue is getting the new ground built for OAFC then I think it unlikely that a candidate would get elected. If the single issue is regeneration of Oldham in line with strategic policies then that's something else entirely, and I might add goes a little off what was envisaged at the start.

I thought the point wasn't to get someone elected, but to make sure someone else isn't? It's very tricky doing this to get the, "right," votes and not to take as many from someone else as you do from your targetted person

might be - but that wasn't what was in Jeff's original post.

Would 1000 votes for a Boundary Park candidate even knock Harrison out of the ward?

How many residents rejestered there objections to the plans ? 590 or something wasnt it ?? That still leaves a hell of alot of people who didnt vote against it in that ward!!! The decision that was taken would of been good for Oldham and the local area!!! It certainly would of improved the image and look. The nimbys couldnt see this, to worked up over traffic and 60's flats.....

A strong councilor should vote for what is RIGHT and thats not always listening to who is the most vocal!!! So my point stands in my eyes. There is probably alot of support from people in his area they just arent as vocal.

If you stand and dont give a dam about the ward you repersent then you are no better than the likes of Bashforth.

If you still dont agree me and still want to stand then I think this idea it is a VERY bad one because its only for the good of the club and not the town, which is one of are strongest arguments FOR the development to happen.

Edited by oafc0000

How many residents rejestered there objections to the plans ? 590 or something wasnt it ?? That still leaves a hell of alot of people who didnt vote against it in that ward!!! The decision that was taken would of been good for Oldham and the local area!!! It certainly would of improved the image and look. The nimbys couldnt see this, to worked up over traffic and 60's flats.....

Doesnt matter how many residents voted against the application, when talking about a candidate standing, because our candidate would be in a different ward i believe.

Depending on the split, 1000 votes could feasibly be a winning vote - but with an average turnout in the word of around 2,500 it's a pipe dream.

hang on before you shoot me - I have absolutely no idea how big the ward is, how many vote in council elections, how many would vote for an issue party. The 1000 is notional - I might have said 200. Is that better?

Doesnt matter how many residents voted against the application, when talking about a candidate standing, because our candidate would be in a different ward i believe.

Thats correct but I was trying to make a wider point. That a councilor needs to stand up for whats right for the local AND the town. I belive the development would of been good for both! 590 residents moaning shouldnt of stopped Bashforth voting for something which would of been good for the majority, including is own ward. Unfortunantly 590 very vocal people were probably the sort that would of voted him out hence he :censored: himself.

If we are doing this we need to be bigger than one issue. Are issue should be improving the local area and Oldham as a hole. People would vote for that. This would also grantee the football club as it is the fabric of the town and can only improve the place etc.