Overconfidence from Sharp?

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/shar...ts-cup-win.html

Sharp expects us to shut up shop???

http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1205519,00.html

Praise for Shez from Andy Holden, one of my favourite ever players despite him only ever playing 20 odd games. A true 100%er to coin a phrase and helped turn the 88/89 season around.

I cant stand Sharp. Even more so when at Crimbo, I came across his book where he basically slagged us of no end about how he didnt want to come here.

The feeling was mutual. It would be mean on puppets to call him one.....He is the reason I refuse to listen to Century FM

I cant stand Sharp. Even more so when at Crimbo, I came across his book where he basically slagged us of no end about how he didnt want to come here.

Yet he was the one who agreed to the move didn't actually drive and really had no intention to learn either, then complained about the travel time. Plank :blink:

I remember that, totally slagged everyone off! He can sod off for all I care!

It was a spell he enjoyed and a Club he still has great affection for

Yeah right! :angry:

Who we beat in the 2nd round....

Yeah but we didn't beat them in our last game did we? Why would be buoyed by the fact we beat Crewe weeks back when we've had quite a few away victories since then.

We've been better sides since then.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Sharp getting the manger's job after Royle is one of the main reasons for our continued plight since relegation in 1994, we needed a really good managerial appointment to steady the ship and we got that tool. He slagged us off for not backing him but I remember the scramble to sign him up as manager after we sacked him, a race I think Bangor City won which I think sums things up.

For those young enough not to remember:-

Whilst being a tosspot of the highest order and the general consensus being that he was a a crap manager to boot, my own feelings re: Sharp are somewaht mixed. He is probably the finest out and out target man this club has had, due to the fact he did it consistently in the top-flight. His 15 goals in 91/92 saw us to safety in our first season back in the big time and his brace at Maine Road will live with me forever! As will his stunning 4 goal haul vs Luton in April '92 and the fact he consistently scored against the Scum, albeit to no avail as they usually scored 5 or 6! However his miss at Wembley at 1-0 will haunt me forever too! My main gripe with him was when subbed by Royle he threw away his shirt and the armband, (can't remeber the oppo, think it was either 93/94 or early 94/95) that to many was unforgivable.

His time as manager culminated in the acceleration of a decline that began in the 92/93 season under Royle, tbh after relegation we had been very poor under Royle and the change if i'm honest was best all round and probably 18 months too late. Sharp wasn't my choice, I wanted an experienced man but he did temper this to a point by bringing in Colin Harvey and for a while from late November to mid-Jan the play-offs looked a real possibility, then injuries and the Boundary park sand-pit kicked in and at one stage relegation looked a real possibility too, we recovered sufficiently to finish in mid-table, but not before we had been treated to the footballing brilliance that was Neil Moore! He then proceeded to let Andy Ritchie, Andy Barlow, Rick Holden and Neil Pointon all leave (probaby at the behest of Stott and with only kids to replace them the writing was on the wall.) He did sign the awesome Simon Webster on loan though, even tougher than Andy Holden methinks!

95/96 started promisingly but then Jobbo had to be sold and we had to make do with loan signings such as Michelle Vonk (Big regret we didn't sign him), Paul Wilkinson (although a tart, weas just the sort of striker we needed at the time), before he paid a ludicrous £350k for jigsaw Barlow and around the same time we rejected a chance to sign triallist Sami Hyppia!) The fact we never replaced Jobbo cost us, but strangely not really in the goals gainst column - in fact in the League we didn't concede more than 2 goals in ANY game all season!

96/97 started under a cloud, with the long-forgotten JOhn Morrow our only summer signing, again we'd lost player (s) Paul Gerrard, Paul Bernard, Mark Brennan, Lee Riochardson wanted out, Darren Beckford etc.. and after an horrendous start (We didn't win until 5th October!) we had recovered to give ourselves a fighting chance by mid-December, then we sold Gunnar Halle to Leeds and the wheels well and truely came off! After being hammered by a lousy Grimsby Team at BP 3-0 on my 20th Birthday, Sharp resigned, but quite rightly imo tookm a swipe at the board's penny-pinching."you can only chop at a tree so many times before it will fall". He was right and not even Colin could save us despite much wheeling and dealing in the transfger market!

Sharp as a manager wasn't as bad as we thought at the time, it was the wider picture that killed us, he did bring in some very good players and some crap ones! Ian Snodin was probably his best signing. Whilst JOhn Gannon, John Morrow and Neil Moore being amongst his worst! He also gave young lads like Rickers, Serrant and McNiven there chances and signed great servants like Garnett and Kelly.

Edited by oafcprozac

Whilst being a tosspot of the highest order and the general consensus being that he was a a crap manager to boot, my own feelings re: Sharp are somewaht mixed. He is probably the finest out and out target man this club has had, due to the fact he did it consistently in the top-flight. His 15 goals in 91/92 saw us to safety in our first season back in the big time and his brace at Maine Road will live with me forever! As will his stunning 4 goal haul vs Luton in April '92 and the fact he consistently scored against the Scum, albeit to no avail as they usually scored 5 or 6! However his miss at Wembley at 1-0 will haunt me forever too! My main gripe with him was when subbed by Royle he threw away his shirt and the armband, (can't remeber the oppo, think it was either 93/94 or early 94/95) that to many was unforgivable.

His time as manager culminated in the acceleration of a decline that began in the 92/93 season under Royle, tbh after relegation we had been very poor under Royle and the change if i'm honest was best all round and probably 18 months too late. Sharp wasn't my choice, I wanted an experienced man but he did temper this to a point by bringing in Colin Harvey and for a while from late November to mid-Jan the play-offs looked a real possibility, then injuries and the Boundary park sand-pit kicked in and at one stage relegation looked a real possibility too, we recovered sufficiently to finish in mid-table, but not before we had been treated to the footballing brilliance that was Neil Moore! He then proceeded to let Andy Ritchie, Andy Barlow, Rick Holden and Neil Pointon all leave (probaby at the behest of Stott and with only kids to replace them the writing was on the wall.) He did sign the awesome Simon Webster on loan though, even tougher than Andy Holden methinks!

95/96 started promisingly but then Jobbo had to be sold and we had to make do with loan signings such as Michelle Vonk (Big regret we didn't sign him), Paul Wilkinson (although a tart, weas just the sort of striker we needed at the time), before he paid a ludicrous £350k for jigsaw Barlow and around the same time we rejected a chance to sign triallist Sami Hyppia!) The fact we never replaced Jobbo cost us, but strangely not really in the goals gainst column - in fact in the League we didn't concede more than 2 goals in ANY game all season!

96/97 started under a cloud, with the long-forgotten JOhn Morrow our only summer signing, again we'd lost player (s) Paul Gerrard, Paul Bernard, Mark Brennan, Lee Riochardson wanted out, Darren Beckford etc.. and after an horrendous start (We didn't win until 5th October!) we had recovered to give ourselves a fighting chance by mid-December, then we sold Gunnar Halle to Leeds and the wheels well and truely came off! After being hammered by a lousy Grimsby Team at BP 3-0 on my 20th Birthday, Sharp resigned, but quite rightly imo tookm a swipe at the board's penny-pinching."you can only chop at a tree so many times before it will fall". He was right and not even Colin could save us despite much wheeling and dealing in the transfger market!

Sharp as a manager wasn't as bad as we thought at the time, it was the wider picture that killed us, he did bring in some very good players and some crap ones! Ian Snodin was probably his best signing. Whilst JOhn Gannon, John Morrow and Neil Moore being amongst his worst! He also gave young lads like Rickers, Serrant and McNiven there chances and signed great servants like Garnett and Kelly.

Was the Grimsby game when Clive Mendonca ripped us apart? That was embarrassing.

Whilst being a tosspot of the highest order and the general consensus being that he was a a crap manager to boot, my own feelings re: Sharp are somewaht mixed. He is probably the finest out and out target man this club has had, due to the fact he did it consistently in the top-flight. His 15 goals in 91/92 saw us to safety in our first season back in the big time and his brace at Maine Road will live with me forever! As will his stunning 4 goal haul vs Luton in April '92 and the fact he consistently scored against the Scum, albeit to no avail as they usually scored 5 or 6! ...

I completely agree. He was still a very very good top flight player when he signed for us. During one of our Premier League seasons (think it was the one we got relegated) Sharp was out for about 10 games in a row due to an injury (back if I recall) - which co-incided with us picking up about 1 point from 30.

His contribution was much underated, but if he'd been fit all season I firmly believed we'd have managed another year in the top flight.

However his miss at Wembley at 1-0 will haunt me forever too!...

Arrrggghhh. Its almost as painful a moment as 'THAT' goal.

His time as manager...

Is best forgotten.

I completely agree. He was still a very very good top flight player when he signed for us. During one of our Premier League seasons (think it was the one we got relegated) Sharp was out for about 10 games in a row due to an injury (back if I recall) - which co-incided with us picking up about 1 point from 30.

The injury was from January-October 1993, his last appearance being on the bench in a 2-1 win at Ipswich in Jan '93, before he made his comeback at Citeh in Oct' 93 and scoring our goal in a 1-1 draw. Sharp's absence is what gets my goat when people criticise Olney, he played up front alone (as along with Sharp, Stitch was out with a serious back injury, linked to his perennial muscle strains) from Jan-Late March '93 when we signed Beckford and IMO did a grand job (Olney), when still quite a young man and along with Neil Adams scored the goals which kept us up. As whilst the Great Escape treble clinched safety, it was the tide turning during late-Feb that gave us that fighting chance.

Edited by oafcprozac

When I think of Sharp, the first thing that comes to mind is that miss at Wembley when we were one up against Manure... a moment recalled earlier in this thread by OAFCPROZAC. That miss still makes me feel ill...

So I reckon him and his opinions are best avoided for the good of my health.