Overconfidence from Sharp?

Sharp was a great player for us no doubt,but we needed a stronger more experiemced manager at the time.When Sharp took the Bangor job I was living in Anglesey and bumped into him theday he went for the interview.

I had put two and two together about his pending appointement at Bangor, he was very bitter about Latics, not with the fans,the club in general,just one man.We all know who that was.

I had a latics top on so he knew i was a fan, and have to say he was very cordial and took the time to talk to me for twenty minutes or so ,the conversation ended with me shaking his hand and wishing him well at Bangor at which point he smiled and thanked me.

I think he was on a hiding to nothing at BP,following in JR's shoes and a penny pinching chairman.However events since have proved he was a poor appointment and would probably have never made it as a manager even with money to spend.

He was a good target man though probably a class above anything else we have ever had.

My only regret is I didnt go to bookies and put a bet on him becoming Bangors manager as it was a week before the news was released.

Robert

History has proved that he couldn't cut it as a manager, but to be fair to him we could have put anyone in that position and they would still have struggled the rot had firmly set in and we were going backwards quickly. History has also proved that JW Lees should have sold up when we went down from the premier league because a) They would have got a better price for their shares B) They had no plans to do anything with the club anyway. Imagine had someone with the vision such as TTA took over us at that point things might just might have been alittle different.

Sharp getting the manger's job after Royle is one of the main reasons for our continued plight since relegation in 1994, we needed a really good managerial appointment to steady the ship and we got that tool. He slagged us off for not backing him but I remember the scramble to sign him up as manager after we sacked him, a race I think Bangor City won which I think sums things up.

Agree entirely with this post - when this fool took over all our passsing on the deck football went out of the window - and the complete lack of passion was laughable - stick to be a second rate pundit mate!

he was very bitter about Latics, not with the fans,the club in general,just one man.We all know who that was.

I'm not sure about that, wasn't he once quoted as saying something along the lines of "I've been critiscied before by much more knowlageable supporters than those of Oldham Athletic."

As mentioned (and I'm glad to see it amidst the criticism he often got at the time), Sharp was a very good player for us and a crucial factor in us staying in the top division as long as we did.

To a degree, I always felt he was a victim of circumstance as a manager. ANY manager would have struggled in that period. Yes we should have gone for someone more experienced, and yes he made some awful mistakes... from his point of view, whatever the circumstances, if you find out you can't deal with the bad times as a young manager you soon realise it's not for you.

I never liked him either after he flicked the V's at the terrace during the 2nd replay. Most of them were pretty smug and disrepectful during each game - Southall, Cottee and Sheedy spring to mind, not to mention Whiteside trying to cut Milligan in half. Still they got their reward. Ha!

I never liked him either after he flicked the V's at the terrace during the 2nd replay. Most of them were pretty smug and disrepectful during each game - Southall, Cottee and Sheedy spring to mind, not to mention Whiteside trying to cut Milligan in half. Still they got their reward. Ha!

spot on! Everton were nasty over those three games, tried bullying us out of it but failed. I'll never forget Cottee and Sharp giving us the v's and I'll never forget what a set of eejits their supporters were either. Also, the only time Mr G.Sharp ever spoke to me personally he said 'shut your f****** mouth'. 'Orrible git!

spot on! Everton were nasty over those three games, tried bullying us out of it but failed. I'll never forget Cottee and Sharp giving us the v's and I'll never forget what a set of eejits their supporters were either. Also, the only time Mr G.Sharp ever spoke to me personally he said 'shut your f****** mouth'. 'Orrible git!

You should have given him a slap!!

:boxer: