Chelt Game

Guest sheridans_world

Guest sheridans_world

Crossley - 7/10 - apart from the fact that 'he only has one leg' he did well, good penalty save, unlucky he missed second time.

Eardley - 5/10 not brilliant, he's played much better.

Bertrand - 6/10 Quiet today, wasnt bad, wasnt brilliant.

Gregan - 6/10 no complaints from me.

Hazel - 7/10 give him a contract, solid defending again today.

Taylor - 6/10 Average

Kilkenny - 5/10 not his best game for Latics, was off the pace at times but did make up for it with some of his runs and some of his passes.

Allott - 7/10 MOTM good solid midfielder, tracks back to win balls then takes them forwards

Liddell - well taken ball, his control is brilliant, shame he doesnt have the legs anymore really

Ricketts - 7/10 Good display, nothing too flashy.

Davies - 6/10 I feel his is going off the boil a little bit at the moment.

Wolfy 6/10 He should get more playing time. Simple as.

Macca - 6/10 On the pitch for all of 5 minutes didnt do anything wrong in that time.

Overall a very average performance today, while we didnt look like loosing it, we didnt look like beating them 3-0 either. 1-1 seems like a fair result, two weeks off now, players will be well rested for the annual event of Huddersfield away. Lets hope that 3000 Latics turn up again!

P.s. Has the Rugby finished yet? :grin:

Edited by sheridans_world

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crossley - 7/10 - apart from the fact that 'he only has one leg' he did well, good penalty save, unlucky he missed second time.

Taylor - 6/10 Average

Kilkenny - 5/10 not his best game for Latics, was off the pace at times but did make up for it with some of his runs and some of his passes.

Allott - 7/10 MOTM good solid midfielder, tracks back to win balls then takes them forwards

Liddell - well taken ball, his control is brilliant, shame he doesnt have the legs anymore really

Macca - 6/10 On the pitch for all of 5 minutes didnt do anything wrong in that time.

Overall a very average performance today, while we didnt look like loosing it, we didnt look like beating them 3-0 either. 1-1 seems like a fair result, two weeks off now, players will be well rested for the annual event of Huddersfield away. Lets hope that 3000 Latics turn up again!

P.s. Has the Rugby finished yet? :grin:

Macca 6/10 how??????? The guy went clean through only to toe poke a shot at the keeper.

A complete inept display by the entire 11 considering we played a long period against 10 of the worst professional footballers ever to grace League One. Cheltenham will be relegated. We are in for a long , hard winter.

Absolute rubbish performance, anyone who thinks anything different must of been watching a different game!!!

How can we level the game up so early in the second half then as soon as they are reduced to ten not look remotely interested? Gregan & Hazell look solid together but don't give him a contract he'll only end up another average player, keep him month to month on his toes!!!

Macca 6/10 how??????? The guy went clean through only to toe poke a shot at the keeper.

A complete inept display by the entire 11 considering we played a long period against 10 of the worst professional footballers ever to grace League One. Cheltenham will be relegated. We are in for a long , hard winter.

Absolute rubbish performance, anyone who thinks anything different must of been watching a different game!!!

How can we level the game up so early in the second half then as soon as they are reduced to ten not look remotely interested? Gregan & Hazell look solid together but don't give him a contract he'll only end up another average player, keep him month to month on his toes!!!

Worrying ain't it....but surely they weren't as bad as Walsall the other week? I can't get my head around how some can't see that things aren't right though. As tho, without changing anything, all will come together. Because it won't. Also, said the same about Hazell the other day, on ISZ. If he hasn't got anyone sniffing around, ideally it'd be nice to do that. Could backfire though and to be honest, we need him at the mo.

The game was dire.

The funniest part of the day was when we came out afterwards and saw a few certain individuals. No names mentioned. TITCH, ET ALL! Abusing the ref and players in the Saturday League which went to Penalties. :lol: "are you crossley in disguise."

The random abuse that followed the Leeds fan who'd tried winding the Oldham lot up by wearing a Leeds top was pretty funny as well. "I'm a cheltonion but my heart is in leeds." - "then why are you here in a leeds top rather than at Elland Road?" - A very brief we all hate leeds sc*m chant and he toddled off. Only to walk past once again with his jumper covering his shirt up barely 5 minute's after. Very much similar to Hartlepool with plenty of so called locals wearing premiership colours of teams no where near their ground. We spotted Liverpool amongst others.

That first half. I do not know what was going on. Awful to watch and should have been nil nil. Everyone just wanted it to be over. Not helped by the 4 minute's added time which got one almighty groan. No idea why the ref gave the penalty. Down the opposite end to us and the 2nd big chant they'd made for a handball.

I said during the week about Franny being bad, but thankfully we dont have the laughable lot that Cheltenham have.

We should have stuck Chaddy/Wayne upfront in the first half, given his pin point accuracy to crack the back of the head of the lad stood with his back towards the pitch before the game. :grin:

Kilkenny was off the pace. Taylor tries to much when the simple ball is all that is needed. Davies was the same. Kilkenny misplaced a fair few passes but when he wanted he ran the midfield.

I seemed to be the only one who saw Ricketts get swung for over that left hand side of the away end. Everyone was pretty much baffled and I found myself the only one stood up. Definate red. Luckily for the lad he threw a punch like a girl and completely missed as Ricketts would have eaten him for his tea. Ricketts did well not too retaliate in all honesty. Just kept him at arms distance, tried to calm him down and took his booking on the chin.

Cheltenham played well after they went down to ten. That said. They're an awful side. Definately on the way down. Crossley didnt have a save to make the entire 2nd half. Good job really because he was in a right old state.

Bertrand and Gregan were solid. Then again. The back four looked comfortable all game.

Wolfy should have at least put one of those chances away. Cracking finish for the goal by lidds.

we should have won today. More clear cut chances against a side who didnt test our keeper. Dodgy penalty decision that should never of been made to be retaken.

Oh and for those wondering about the atmosphere. Absolute pants!

Finally. Cheltenham has to be the only place i've ever been where ive not got offended at being told to "eff off". We just laughed. Ala this girl when a friendly comment was made in her direction whilst stuck in traffic.

By the way. Was told by a few who got told by the stewards that a Latics fan was thrown out of the home end at the end of the first half and decided to go and punch cars. Hence why so many old bill and stewards rushed about in a hurry. 'Punching Cars'.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Taylor - 6/10 Average

Funny how we all have different views

Crossley - 8/10 - didn't really have anything to do, but an extra point for being the grateful recipient of a "3 chins, he's only got 3 chins" chant after one of the "only one leg" chants.

Eardley and Bertrand - 6/10 each - not much got past them, but a few too many wayward passes

Gregan - 9/10 - MOM for me. Only remember one real mistake, won just about everything in the air, sprayed some superb passes and made sure Crossley was protected. A true captain's performance.

Hazell - 7/10 - looks the perfect partner for Greegs - quick to cover when Eardley or Bertrand needed him. Give him a contract NOW, before some other bugger does.

Taylor 6/10 - lost some of his control. Can still skin a full back with ease but final ball is lacking. Should leave left wing corners to Lidds - too near the 'keeper to many times and forget about the short ones to Bertrand.

Kilkenny - 4/10 - very disappointing. Seemed to lack his usual creativity and flair. Passing was woeful and didn't use space well when they went down to 10.

Allott - 6/10 - not great but not bad but, like Kilkenny, too many misplaced passes.

Liddell - 7/10 - superb control, intelligent use of the ball, but now lacks pace to beat a full back. Still be on my team sheet every week, though.

Davies - 6/10 - worked hard and ran his socks off but let down too often by poor first touch. Can scare defenders into mistakes with pace and will improve again.

Ricketts - 8/10 - often showed great control. He is class and demonstrates it with passes into areas that other players don't see, which makes him look the numpty. He also found space which others didn't spot - even Lidds missed him create about 20 yards for himself at one point.

Wolfenden - 7/10 - should have added another one to his name, but didn't really have enough opportunity to settle into the game. Looked hungry though and always prepared to have a dig.

McDonald - 5/10 - didn't really make an impression, but should have beaten the 'keeper from close in to win it.

There you go. Many will disagree, but opinion is what makes discussion interesting.

:ktf:

Funny how we all have different views

Crossley - 8/10 - didn't really have anything to do, but an extra point for being the grateful recipient of a "3 chins, he's only got 3 chins" chant after one of the "only one leg" chants.

Eardley and Bertrand - 6/10 each - not much got past them, but a few too many wayward passes

Gregan - 9/10 - MOM for me. Only remember one real mistake, won just about everything in the air, sprayed some superb passes and made sure Crossley was protected. A true captain's performance.

Hazell - 7/10 - looks the perfect partner for Greegs - quick to cover when Eardley or Bertrand needed him. Give him a contract NOW, before some other bugger does.

Taylor 6/10 - lost some of his control. Can still skin a full back with ease but final ball is lacking. Should leave left wing corners to Lidds - too near the 'keeper to many times and forget about the short ones to Bertrand.

Kilkenny - 4/10 - very disappointing. Seemed to lack his usual creativity and flair. Passing was woeful and didn't use space well when they went down to 10.

Allott - 6/10 - not great but not bad but, like Kilkenny, too many misplaced passes.

Liddell - 7/10 - superb control, intelligent use of the ball, but now lacks pace to beat a full back. Still be on my team sheet every week, though.

Davies - 6/10 - worked hard and ran his socks off but let down too often by poor first touch. Can scare defenders into mistakes with pace and will improve again.

Ricketts - 8/10 - often showed great control. He is class and demonstrates it with passes into areas that other players don't see, which makes him look the numpty. He also found space which others didn't spot - even Lidds missed him create about 20 yards for himself at one point.

Wolfenden - 7/10 - should have added another one to his name, but didn't really have enough opportunity to settle into the game. Looked hungry though and always prepared to have a dig.

McDonald - 5/10 - didn't really make an impression, but should have beaten the 'keeper from close in to win it.

There you go. Many will disagree, but opinion is what makes discussion interesting.

:ktf:

I would agree with all those marks.

Clearly judging from some othe earlier comments on this and other threads, you and I were watching a different game Bristolatic! No way was it (or were we) as bad as some are making out. Ricketts; Gregan and Hazell played well and the fact we managed to restrict the home side from putting the injured Crossley under any form of pressure shows how much we controlled the game.

Of course, as is the want of the Oldham fans, that is clearly down to the poorness of the opposition as opposed to good Latics play - particularly in defence. I cannot believe that people are slagging Eardley - or that some are accusing Ricketts of being lazy today. Unfortunately, we have seen the power of the Messageboards in action. It is a shame that some go to matches wearing blinkers. Take them off - I'm sure that you will enjoy it more. Still, that's supposing that you actually want the team to succeed and listening to some comments, I remain to be convinced.

Kilkenny was absolutely shocking today and that really surprised me. Plus, Wolfy did more in 10 minutes as a partner for Ricketts than Davies did in the previous 80. I hope that his dip in form is temporary.

Interestingly, there were 4 players who had their names sung today and they appeared to take something out of it since all 4 have been the subject of a fair amount of stick today:-

Ricketts; Gregan; Liddell and Crossley.

I seemed to be the only one who saw Ricketts get swung for over that left hand side of the away end. Everyone was pretty much baffled and I found myself the only one stood up. Definate red. Luckily for the lad he threw a punch like a girl and completely missed as Ricketts would have eaten him for his tea. Ricketts did well not too retaliate in all honesty. Just kept him at arms distance, tried to calm him down and took his booking on the chin.

Yeah I saw that as well but everybody else was confused why it was a red. Ricketts was holding that guys arms and when he got one free he swung for Ricketts but missed. Not sure why Ricketts was holding his arms in the first place though as I didn't see how it first started.

Worrying ain't it....but surely they weren't as bad as Walsall the other week? I can't get my head around how some can't see that things aren't right though. As tho, without changing anything, all will come together. Because it won't. Also, said the same about Hazell the other day, on ISZ. If he hasn't got anyone sniffing around, ideally it'd be nice to do that. Could backfire though and to be honest, we need him at the mo.

Been saying we have problems in the midfield for weeks. Our movement is terrible in there excluding Kilkenny but we can't rely on him to run everything all the time. I'm surprised people are giving Allott such a high rating (relatively) as I wasn't that impressed by him today as he drifted through most of it imo without really doing all that much. A few impresive meaty challenges but not really what we needed imo today.

I posted the other week about how we lack players who are willing to move into the spaces beyond the opposition midfield and get close to Ricketts and Davies and get the ball back off them. Too many times the midfield are too far away from the strikers and when they play the ball into them they don't look to move after the ball and cause the opposition problems. This is especially evident with Allott who often plays the ball and stands still and wnats the ball back in the exact same position he just released it from. Kilkenny is the perefect example of a centre midfielder for me as he always wants the ball. He gives it and looks to move into space and get it back to progress the play up the pitch. Unfortuntately he can't do it all on his own. I'm glad we have started utilising the quality of Ricketts a bit now though (or at least the likes of Bertrans and KK have anyway). We've started looking for his chest or feet where he can get it under control and really hurt the opposition by bringing others into play either by laying it off or by truning and making them commit men towards him. That is one positive out of the last couple of games. Unfortunately though that isn't going to be enough to see us rising up the table. One of the 3 Kalala, Allot or McDonald need to step upto the plate. Either Gary Mac has has to recapture that form from the start of last season or Kalala needs to be willing to push on a bit more and look for the ball. To me it is obvious that we are strongest when JP and KK play together. JP's energy helps us keep a good tempo and win the ball higher up the pitch, which to an extent covers up for our lack of movement.

Looking at the team selection as well I think we need to drop taylor for the moment. Liddell has raised his game, Davies isn't working all that well with Ricketts and to me it seems natural to move him out onto the left. I'd like to see Wolfy given a chance up front alongside Ricketts. Today we saw some sort of partnership form between the two. A number of us have been saying for weeks that Ricketts has been winning plenty of flick ons in good areas and putting the ball into places where you would hope his partner would be looking to run into. Davies doesn't seem to be anticipating the flicks at all and the defender has already moved across to cover by the time he has set off. Wolfy gambles and today it very nearly paid off at the end. His movement is superb and he seems to always look dangerous everytime he comes on. Going back to Taylor he is looking flatter and flatter imo. Maybe his confidence is dropping through having had a few bad appearances in a row or through not being comfortable crossing on his left foot (which has been truly awful) I think a decision has to be made either way on the Taylor situation. We all know he has a lot of potential and can cause teams in this division alot of problems so we shouldn't give up on him by any stretch, just think about moveing him to the right, maybe in a cameo role late in the game when he can run at the tired full back.

Main problem though as I have said is the distance between the midfield and strikers and the overall movement through the midfield. We saw the danger caused by KK when he managed to get onto the ball beyond the opposition midfield. But he is being relied on too much. Shez needs to drill it into the other 3 that we need them to stand up and be counted. Allott is fine when we are winning as he is perfect as a combative midfielder and he slows the tempo of the game, but when we can push on for a win like today, we should be getting Kalala on as soon as possible imo as then we can force errors higher up the pitch and keep the tempo high. Today was too slow and stagnant.

There are the makings of a good team, one that could sneak into the play offs imo, but we do have obvious limitations that we need to find ways round.

By the way. Was told by a few who got told by the stewards that a Latics fan was thrown out of the home end at the end of the first half and decided to go and punch cars. Hence why so many old bill and stewards rushed about in a hurry. 'Punching Cars'.

Wondered what that was all about. First thought was that Gregan might've booted the ref through the back of the stand ... :grin:

'Punching cars' - odd behabiour ... probably from Diggle. :lol:

I think a decision has to be made either way on the Taylor situation. We all know he has a lot of potential and can cause teams in this division alot of problems so we shouldn't give up on him by any stretch, just think about moveing him to the right, maybe in a cameo role late in the game when he can run at the tired full back.

Agree with quite a lot of what you've said. The only thing I'm not sure about is the "cameo" role bit on Taylor during games. He's been moved sometimes (in losing situations) onto the right and been asked to go and save us. He hasn't and hasn't looked comfortable there. But we know what he can do there, as we saw it in his early days in the first team. If Taylor is moved, he needs a few games to get his head back on playing on the right. It must be a complete reversal in thinking going from the right to the left....so if we do try it, he'd need a little time. Lids meanwhile, would go into midfield with KK for me. KK would have to sit a little deeper and tackle a bit more.

Agree with quite a lot of what you've said. The only thing I'm not sure about is the "cameo" role bit on Taylor during games. He's been moved sometimes (in losing situations) onto the right and been asked to go and save us. He hasn't and hasn't looked comfortable there. But we know what he can do there, as we saw it in his early days in the first team. If Taylor is moved, he needs a few games to get his head back on playing on the right. It must be a complete reversal in thinking going from the right to the left....so if we do try it, he'd need a little time. Lids meanwhile, would go into midfield with KK for me. KK would have to sit a little deeper and tackle a bit more.

Moving Taylor to the right I am in full favour of. Moving Liddell to anywhere other than the subs bench is a no-no with me. His legs have gone and he is more of a hinderance than a help in my view*. Keep him on the SB until Smalley is alright and then another decision has to be made.

I reckon Taylor would benefit, but more importantly Eardley would too. Eardley can't venture forward as (a) Liddell can't track back and (B) Liddell can't play a ball forward as he is constantly facing in the wrong direction.

I sound like a real anti-Liddell bloke here, but I honestly can'ty see how he improves our side anymore. In the past he has been good, and I don't like being harsh, but it's just the way I see it. the sooner he is gone the better.

Moving Taylor to the right I am in full favour of. Moving Liddell to anywhere other than the subs bench is a no-no with me. His legs have gone and he is more of a hinderance than a help in my view*. Keep him on the SB until Smalley is alright and then another decision has to be made.

I reckon Taylor would benefit, but more importantly Eardley would too. Eardley can't venture forward as (a) Liddell can't track back and (B) Liddell can't play a ball forward as he is constantly facing in the wrong direction.

I sound like a real anti-Liddell bloke here, but I honestly can'ty see how he improves our side anymore. In the past he has been good, and I don't like being harsh, but it's just the way I see it. the sooner he is gone the better.

Plenty of my thoughts on this one, on the Ricketts thread. I still think Lids has a place in a starting XI, preferably though behind the front two. Some games last season, he was moved there and looked useful. Most notably the Northampton home game...just couldn't pick them off, Shez made the move and it paid off within 30 seconds. As a right winger though...you're spot on...9/10 he passes the ball backwards into midfield and the defence have plugged up any gaps our attack has created.

Interesting that you say Lids for centre mid. I believe he played there a few times just behind the front 2 in a couple of the pre season friendlies but I didn't see any of them so I'm not sure whether that worked out or not. I'm guessing it did to an extent if you would be willing to stick him in there. Personally I would be worried about us defensively if we had Kilkenny and Liddell as our 2 centre mids. Not saying that a DM is a necessity, but I would be more comfortable with someone like JP in there. On the other hand though, creatively we would be much stronger and Liddell would always offer himself as an option to the strikers, then you would have KK moving in and around them as well and asking for the ball as always. KK reads the game very well also, so maybe his positional play and anticipation would be enough to counter our lack of a classic 'battling' midfielder in there. As we have all seem to have identified though, our problem isn't getting possession or keeping it for that matter, we always see plenty of the ball, but we have lacked a cutting edge for much of the season.

Lids in the centre may combat that though and whilst the other 3 options each with their own limitations expecially in an attacking sense I guess it's definitely worth a try. We certainly aren't going anywhere in this division this season until one of those 3 really 'step up' or we take a different direction as you suggest. We all said at the start of the season, defence wouldn't be our strong point. So an attacking midfield duo of KK and Lids ahead of him may well be the way we can utilise our strikers and take the game to the opposition. Definitely have to get Wolfy in the side up front at least until hughes returns from injury as well for me. That's an important part of the jigsaw. Ricketts is being wasted at the moment.

Interesting that you say Lids for centre mid. I believe he played there a few times just behind the front 2 in a couple of the pre season friendlies but I didn't see any of them so I'm not sure whether that worked out or not. I'm guessing it did to an extent if you would be willing to stick him in there. Personally I would be worried about us defensively if we had Kilkenny and Liddell as our 2 centre mids. Not saying that a DM is a necessity, but I would be more comfortable with someone like JP in there. On the other hand though, creatively we would be much stronger and Liddell would always offer himself as an option to the strikers, then you would have KK moving in and around them as well and asking for the ball as always. KK reads the game very well also, so maybe his positional play and anticipation would be enough to counter our lack of a classic 'battling' midfielder in there. As we have all seem to have identified though, our problem isn't getting possession or keeping it for that matter, we always see plenty of the ball, but we have lacked a cutting edge for much of the season.

Lids in the centre may combat that though and whilst the other 3 options each with their own limitations expecially in an attacking sense I guess it's definitely worth a try. We certainly aren't going anywhere in this division this season until one of those 3 really 'step up' or we take a different direction as you suggest. We all said at the start of the season, defence wouldn't be our strong point. So an attacking midfield duo of KK and Lids ahead of him may well be the way we can utilise our strikers and take the game to the opposition. Definitely have to get Wolfy in the side up front at least until hughes returns from injury as well for me. That's an important part of the jigsaw. Ricketts is being wasted at the moment.

Yeah, Shez tried it 2 or 3 times in pre-season. At Clyde he moved there later in the game and looked handy, but ok, it was only Clyde. But we saw him there last season once or twice briefly in games. Shez seemed to be eyeing Lids up as the man who'd play in place of KK (as it took till the last day of pre-season to get him.) So I find it odd that when KK was injured, Shez didn't move him into the middle. As it is, I definitely would be trying it now. Yeah, we may be lighter in the middle defensively but hopefully, the back line is solid enough to cope now and KK can do some of the tackling that a CDM would.

I'd love it to be an option, but if you are struggling to run enough as a winger, then you are certainly not going to be able to cope as a CM, where the running about is alot more (look at Allott, Kilkenny and JP). I, personally, think JP has been a very good addition to the squad (either him or Davies being the best) and would be hard to displace with Neil being the attacking midfielder.

As for the waste of Ricketts, it's justa metter of time bfore others get on his wavelength in my view. It'll come good.

Maybe.

I'd love it to be an option, but if you are struggling to run enough as a winger, then you are certainly not going to be able to cope as a CM, where the running about is alot more (look at Allott, Kilkenny and JP). I, personally, think JP has been a very good addition to the squad (either him or Davies being the best) and would be hard to displace with Neil being the attacking midfielder.

As for the waste of Ricketts, it's justa metter of time bfore others get on his wavelength in my view. It'll come good.

Maybe.

I get what you mean, but for me , he'd be more of an attacking midfielder that roams the line of our attacking 3rd, rather than a man in the middle, getting up and down the pitch. Or....maybe use him from the bench in that position if we can't unlock a team.

I get what you mean, but for me , he'd be more of an attacking midfielder that roams the line of our attacking 3rd, rather than a man in the middle, getting up and down the pitch. Or....maybe use him from the bench in that position if we can't unlock a team.

From the bench I wouldn't mind. I am unsure of whether he can run away from players enough when they are knackered and he is fit enough to get a cross in, but it would be better than the status quo.

I think with Smalley, Hughes and Allessandro to come back there are a whole load of option about to open up. I've really liked the looks of Smalley so far, so let's hope he doesn't get stiffled.

From the bench I wouldn't mind. I am unsure of whether he can run away from players enough when they are knackered and he is fit enough to get a cross in, but it would be better than the status quo.

I think with Smalley, Hughes and Allessandro to come back there are a whole load of option about to open up. I've really liked the looks of Smalley so far, so let's hope he doesn't get stiffled.

Spot on about Smalley...as I said in the Ricketts thread...I was gutted when Smalley got injured at Burnley. He was slowly looking like he was about to take over that RW berth....then bang....that happens! Typical Latics luck :disappointed: