The other Athletic in my roots

What do I have in common with pygmy shrews, badgers, mountain hares and pine martins? We all have ancestors who originally arrived in Ireland via boats from northern Spain.

Genetic studies of Irish fauna show Irish badgers are Spanish, but British badgers are not, and a DNA test has revealed that I have genetic roots in the Basque region of Spain.

The Basque people (the oldest in Europe according to anthropologists) can trace their roots back to the Stone Age and have been living in a small territory known as Euskal Herria, Navarre or the Basque Country-Navarre for 30,000 years. :shock: They are fiercely proud of their ancestry and traditions, and stubbornly hold on to an ancient language: Euskara or Basque.

The most likely explanation is that the island we know as Ireland was settled by migrants from northern Spain as the glaciers that covered it from the last ice age melted away.

Milesian Genealogies from the Annals of the Four Masters reveal that my family surname has been traced back to Milesius of Spain, King of Braganza, through the line of his seventh son Heber. Milesius bore three Lions on his shield and standard, because in his travels through Africa, he killed three lions in one morning.

The Book of Invasions from the 8th century referred to an invasion by the Spanish King Milesius. Milesius’s eight sons travelled to Ireland to avenge the death of their uncle Ithe, who had been slain by the inhabitants, but five of the sons drowned off the treacherous west coast. The surviving brothers were Amergin, who was a Druid, Heremon and Heber, the eldest of the three.

The island invaded and conquered by the three brothers, and Heber Donn, son of Ir (one of the brothers lost in the storm), with their numerous well-manned and equipped fleet, was already named ‘Eire’ after the wife of MacCuill, who ruled and governed the country at the time. So the island inhabited by people of a Basque origin was conquered by people from close to the Basque Region in Northern Spain.

Heber and his younger brother Heremon were jointly the first Milesian (or Clan-na-Milé) monarchs of Ireland. They began to reign in 1699 B.C., the first of 183 Kings or sole Monarchs of the Gaelic, Milesian, or Scottish race that governed Ireland, successively, for 2,885 years from the first year of their reign, to the submission to the Crown of England in the person of King Henry II, who was also of the Milesian race by his mother Maude, of lineal decent from Fergus Mor MacEarca, first King of Scotland, a descendant of Heremon. Heber was slain by Heremon in a quarrel, caused by their wives. Amergin was also slain by Heremon over an argument over territory.

My ancestors’ Clan members were in powerful positions in Ireland long before the Spanish Armada, becoming famous brehons (lawyers/advocates) of Leinster, ranging from judges downwards. They held the position of Chief Brehon of Leinster for generations, until being persecuted by the English, who dispossessed the established clans of Ireland.

Anyway, enough about my family history, I’ll get to the point. :blink: The discovery of my Basque roots reinforced an admiration I have had for many years for Athletic Club Bilbao, the club with the English name, formed at a time when the only English club named ‘Athletic’ was Latics. One mustn’t refer to the club as Bilbao – it has to be Athletic. Athletic's earliest line-ups featured names like Mills, Langford and Evans, and the club has had several English coaches, including the legendary bowler hat-wearing Freddie Pentland

5729621811_2b2779a436.jpg

Mr Pentland profile

and, more recently, Howard Kendall - a thirsty traveller asking for a ‘Kendall’ in his former local The Bridge, is presented with a very large gin and orange.

In 2000 Mrs. S. and I saw Athletic Bilbao beat Derby County 2-1 at Pride Park. Before the game, I explained to a couple of Athletic Club officials the association of Oldham Athletic with the origination of their Club’s name, and presented to their son an Oldham Athletic badge. Eleven years later, we visited Bilbao, to realise my ambitions of seeing the region from where my ancestors originated and to watch Athletic play at home.

Bilbao is a cosmopolitan city of contrasts, from its industrial past and grey buildings to its beautiful parks, wide avenues, and the picturesque River Nervion, which runs through its centre. The colourful and historical Old Town District is located only a short distance from ultra-modern buildings, including the world-renowned Guggenheim Museum. The city has undergone a renaissance and has become a popular centre for culture and the arts – we went to see The Jim Jones Revue supported by the all-girl band Las Culebras (The Snakes). B)

las+culebras.jpg

There was a lively feeling about the city and its warm-hearted inhabitants made us feel very welcome - dare I say, like long-lost relations? :grin:

What Athletic means to the city was evident in every bar we entered, and saw the team photos and other memorabilia hanging proudly on the walls. The connection between club, players and fans is far closer than at almost any other club. The Athletic Club has effectively become the unofficial Basque national team; the representatives not just of a city or a region, but a country, a people.

Athletic Bilbao is said to be more than a football club, it is a feeling, and as such its ways of operating often escape rational analysis. It sees itself as unique in world football and this defines its identity. It does not say that it is either better or worse than others, merely different. It is the most exclusive club in world football and proud of it, because it only allows the sons of its soil to represent the club. So if you're not Basque, you can't play for the club. It has a saying: “Con cantera y aficion, no hace falta importacion”. It translates as: “With home-grown talent and local support, you don't need foreigners”. In so doing it stands out as a sporting entity, not a business.

We know that for most players nowadays, their loyalties lie with wherever the money is, and there is no powerful bond within the players in the squad. Each of the Athletic players is a part of something greater than the individual player and, by supporting the club, the fans have become a part of that something as well.

The club’s cantera (youth academy) is still one of the strongest in Spain. The spirit among young men, who grow up together playing for the club they supported as boys, is something every club envies. It is said that when Athletic is losing, its crowds grow bigger. The club is owned by its 35,000 members, who connect with the players in a way that fans of clubs with foreign imports or loanees cannot. They've watched them come through the academy; been to their confirmations; bumped into them in the shopping mall – it’s like Latics having a team of Chris Taylors (not necessarily all with red hair).

The important role of the supporters was demonstrated recently when the club unveiled its new away shirt for the 2011/12, by giving its fans the opportunity to wear the new kit before the players. For two weeks, 88 fans wore the shirt in and around Bilbao and were filmed and photographed as they moved around the area.

Athletic-Bilbao-REX_265193a.jpg

This photograph shows the 1984 'double' celebrations which occupied both banks and every bridge over the River Nervion, as the players' barge ‘Athletic’ led a fleet of vessels reminiscent of the Armada.

A few days before last Sunday’s match against Malaga, we went on a tour of the club's stadium San Mamés (‘The Cathedral’ to locals), opened in 1913 and with a main stand that dates from the 1950s. The Exhibition Centre, a long, wide hallway stuffed with trophies and shirts (originally blue and white) gave a real taste of what a key role the club has played in the history of Spanish football: Athletic has won the Copa del Rey 24 times, La Liga 8 times and one Cup Winners’ Cup. Four of the League titles were won in the first 10 years that the competition existed, making the club Spain's first football great. In fact it is one of only three clubs to retain its position in the Primera División of La Liga since its inception in 1928, the other two being Barcelona and Real Madrid. According to La Liga statistics, Athletic is the 4th greatest Spanish football club of all time. However, since winning the Spanish Super Cup in 1985, it has not won anything.

5730180704_378cfc692d.jpg

This is a bust of Pichichi, the club's greatest legend, facing the pitch, at which opposing captains place flowers in tribute before every match. Another example of how special this club is.

The club is planning to move to a new stadium, El Nuevo San Mamés, in 2014, on an adjoining site, and hopes to obtain a five-star UEFA rating for the new venue so that it can host Champions League finals.

On the day of the match we followed the supporters’ traditional route, starting with lunch in the old town (El Casco Viejo), then a walk to the tiled Café Iruña. From there we headed towards San Mamés and the streets surrounding the stadium, where the big-match atmosphere heated up amidst the hordes of red and white shirts, including some playing traditional Basque musical instruments.

5736559334_754c61031b.jpg

Thanks to oafc_ok, I had a Latics official badge and several ‘Keep the Faith’ badges to give to suitable Athletic ‘soul brothers’. I gave the Latics badge to a local legendary character wearing a large Basque hat covered in Athletic badges. In return he gave me a badge bearing a picture of himself wearing his hat.

5736783869_41fe7578ab_z.jpg

I gave one of the KTF badges to another supporter wearing a Basque hat covered in Athletic badges, and in return he gave me a Supporters’ Club badge (above right) from his hat and replaced it with my badge.

5736558490_24fc2565f3.jpg

Other recipients of KTF badges were three Athletic supporters visiting from Italy and the supporter I sat next to in the stadium, and to whom I may be related – who knows? :unsure:

The match v Malaga was important in Athletic’s quest for fifth place in La Liga and the prize of a place in the Europa League, to repeat that achievement in 2009. While the economic inequities between Real Madrid and Barcelona and the rest of La Liga may prevent Athletic from challenging for titles as they did in the 1980s, the Euskaldunak have a team of which they can be proud not just for their heritage but also for their football.

There was the display of red and white squares held up as the teams entered the pitch

5736118807_89bfb0da35_z.jpg

and then a minute’s silence for the victims of the Spanish earthquake

One of the supporters acted as cheerleader to orchestrate the singing behind the goal, which was very impressive.

5736248991_1a4285bfc2_b.jpg

We joined in the English part of the chorus of the Athletic song:

In typical Latics fashion, with a large expectant crowd’s nervousness transmitting itself to the players, and vice versa, Athletic put in a terrible performance. After going a goal behind in the first half, things looked more optimistic when a penalty was awarded and a Malaga player was shown the red card for deliberate hand-ball.

5736126863_8a78b52237_z.jpg

The penalty was struck against the bar and, after bouncing back into play, it was handled again by a Malaga defender for a second penalty. This time it was scored, but Athletic’s performance deteriorated more as Malaga’s ten men controlled the game.

For several months, Liverpool have been tracking Athletic’s Iker Muniain, the 18 year old whizzkid winger dubbed ‘Bart’ by his team-mates, who reckon he’s a dead ringer for Homer Simpson’s young lad. Even he was unable to work his magic on this occasion.

The point from the 1-1 draw secured a place in next season's Europa League but wins for nearest rivals Atletico Madrid and Seville, have taken the fifth place initiative away from Athletic with one game to play this weekend.

AUPA ATHLETIC!

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Milesian Genealogies from the Annals of the Four Masters reveal that my family surname has been traced back to Milesius of Spain, King of Braganza, through the line of his seventh son Heber. Milesius bore three Lions on his shield and standard, because in his travels through Africa, he killed three lions in one morning

I never knew Sideburns was an Irish surname, it certaintly explains the Diego bit though. :wink:

• 9 months later...

and athletic won tonight beating the scum 3-2 at cold trafford :grin:

From tonight's MEN:

Manchester United have upset the Spanish team they play in the Europa League tonight – by calling them ‘Athletic Club Bilbao’ on their website. The Reds received a ‘terse’ complaint from officials of the firecely-proud Basque side who say they are only known as ‘Athletic Club’ – and demanded ‘Bilbao’ was removed.

B)

Meanwhile, the M.E.N. can reveal United fans travelling to Bilbao for next Thursday’s return leg will have to fork out £77.50 for a ticket. Reds officials contacted Uefa to object, but it emerged that Athletic Club charge home fans the same amount. However, the Basque club give fans who are members a 66.7 per cent discount whereas United members could expect a £5 reduction. The United source said: "There’s not much we can do. It’s not against Uefa rules."

:)

But it's ok to fleece the away fans? S04 are a members club too but they realise football is a game for all,not just the rich or those who can afford the membership fee.they hiked the price after many already committed to buying one but I bet very few others now go.There comes a point when you have to just say no(or nein as the case may be!)

But it's ok to fleece the away fans? S04 are a members club too but they realise football is a game for all,not just the rich or those who can afford the membership fee.they hiked the price after many already committed to buying one but I bet very few others now go.There comes a point when you have to just say no(or nein as the case may be!)

• 2 weeks later...

I won out in the Europa League Final lottery today and have myself a ticket for Bucharest. If your lot get there and you want to go you can have it - at Bilbao prices that is - €99. Still cheaper than you'd get elsewhere - have a think about it! Although,Schalke will crush them in Spain - obviously.

banner at Schalke tonight:

"€90 for tickets = €1 per minute. Football is not telephone sex".

Edited by help_shiny

I won out in the Europa League Final lottery today and have myself a ticket for Bucharest. If your lot get there and you want to go you can have it - at Bilbao prices that is - €99. Still cheaper than you'd get elsewhere - have a think about it! Although,Schalke will crush them in Spain - obviously.

banner at Schalke tonight:

"€90 for tickets = €1 per minute. Football is not telephone sex".

Dank aber kein Dank.

Brilliant banner! :lol:

Athletic Club have only picked up only one point in La Liga since playing ManUre in the first leg. It doesn't say much for the standard of the Greedy League and the Bundesliga. B)

it was a real smash and grab raid. Schalke were on top but Bilbao went 1-0 up. Schalke were well on top when Bilbao made it 2-2. They then had further chances before rapier like Bilbao attacks put paid to a non existant Schalke defence. Ho hum.

I think Spanish Ebay will be getting a visit from me ;-)

• 4 weeks later...