Out Of Contract

I know Shez is very much focused on transfer window signings, but now is also the time to review who he wants to stay for next season. By my reckoning we have 11 players out of contract in the Summer.

They are: Pogs, Crossley, Stam, Trotman, Lomax, Liddell, MacDonald, Smalley, Kelly, Alessandra, Wolfenden.

We don't have a recent good record of retaining out of contract players, so if there are some/all that still interest him, he should get talks underway sooner rather than later.

My view is - Pogs - release.

Crossley - retain as goalkeeping coach and player but remit is to leek for a long term replacement.

Stam - depends on whether he keeps doing it until the end of the season, which is at odds with talking about contract extensions now. I'd wait on Stam.

Trotman - sort an extension NOW!

Liddell - either release or retain on an appearance based contract.

MacDonald - retain.

Smalley - retain. He's not there yet, and needs more time to develop. I'd give him another year. Kelly - no idea - anyone?

Alessandra - retain - same as Smalley.

Wolfy - I'd retain, for the same reasons as Smalley, but I think it may be his last year with us. He needs pitch time - the sooner the better.

What do you think?

I know Shez is very much focused on transfer window signings, but now is also the time to review who he wants to stay for next season. By my reckoning we have 11 players out of contract in the Summer.

They are: Pogs, Crossley, Stam, Trotman, Lomax, Liddell, MacDonald, Smalley, Kelly, Alessandra, Wolfenden.

We don't have a recent good record of retaining out of contract players, so if there are some/all that still interest him, he should get talks underway sooner rather than later.

My view is - Pogs - release. Crossley - retain as goalkeeping coach and player but remit is to leek for a long term replacement. Stam - depends on whether he keeps doing it until the end of the season, which is at odds with talking about contract extensions now. I'd wait on Stam. Trotman - sort an extension NOW! Liddell - either release or retain on an appearance based contract. MacDonald - retain. Smalley - retain. He's not there yet, and needs more time to develop. I'd give him another year. Kelly - no idea - anyone? Alessandra - retain - same as Smalley. Wolfy - I'd retain, for the same reasons as Smalley, but I think it may be his last year with us. He needs pitch time - the sooner the better.

What do you think?

Just to add to that - isn't Hazell out of contract too? He's been great since we signed him but the last two games at Everton and Leeds he has been immense, good to see him excelling at right back against Leeds too as there is always going to be speculation around Eardley so it's good that we have another option - another we need to get tied down asap.

Half the problem is seeing where we finish in the league, IF, and I mean IF we keep up the run and make the play offs, even better, get promoted, do we want to keep alot of these players on? Surely promotion would mean squad strengthening etc. We have to pick who we think is capable of making the step up, not just keeping people on because theyre doing well at the mo.

My view is - Pogs - release. Crossley - retain as goalkeeping coach and player but remit is to leek for a long term replacement. Stam - depends on whether he keeps doing it until the end of the season, which is at odds with talking about contract extensions now. I'd wait on Stam. Trotman - sort an extension NOW! Liddell - either release or retain on an appearance based contract. MacDonald - retain. Smalley - retain. He's not there yet, and needs more time to develop. I'd give him another year. Kelly - no idea - anyone? Alessandra - retain - same as Smalley. Wolfy - I'd retain, for the same reasons as Smalley, but I think it may be his last year with us. He needs pitch time - the sooner the better.

What do you think?

pretty much agree but id release Wolfy, i think however good at football is he is just not good enough for his height...id love to be proven wrong but i think he might be getting in the way of other youngsters progress, hes only a year younger than Davies i think and look at the gulf in talent!! Id give Stam a new contract, hes worth it for when he is fit!Lomax is a good squad player i think but he may want to move on to play week in week out somewhere else, he is definitely good enough to stay in the professional game from what i have seen.

pogs - dont think he would sign if we offered him a deal, wants to be no 1 keeper only no 2 here, so foregone conclusion i thinl

crossley - retain as a no2 and gk coach,

stam - barring any more major injuries to him, retain

trotman - RETAIN!!!!

lomax - will decide at end of season

lids - i'd personally offer another year

smalley - retain

kelly, allesandra, wolfy - retain on 1 yr deals but loan out to league 2 club for more exp, then decide

Pogs will be back off to Australia in the summer, don't think there is any chance of him staying. I'd keep Crossley but I agree a new number 1 may need to be found. I'd sign up Stam and Trotman as soon as possible and give Liddell a contract for another year so long as he can get over his injury problems. Got to keep McDonald, need players like him in the squad. I'd also keep three of the four youngsters, Kelly doesn't seem to be making the grade and I can't see playing for Barrow doing him any good for us. Wolfy needs to go out on loan.

Just to add to that - isn't Hazell out of contract too? He's been great since we signed him but the last two games at Everton and Leeds he has been immense, good to see him excelling at right back against Leeds too as there is always going to be speculation around Eardley so it's good that we have another option - another we need to get tied down asap.

no he isnt out of contract, signed untill 2009

Edited by Lookers_Carl

pretty much agree but id release Wolfy, i think however good at football is he is just not good enough for his height...id love to be proven wrong but i think he might be getting in the way of other youngsters progress, hes only a year younger than Davies i think and look at the gulf in talent!! Id give Stam a new contract, hes worth it for when he is fit!Lomax is a good squad player i think but he may want to move on to play week in week out somewhere else, he is definitely good enough to stay in the professional game from what i have seen.

Yes, I missed out Lomax. I think he needs games - badly. If Shez doesn't play him after the Everton display and brings in another loanee, then I think he'll release him come June. I'd definately retain - but then, I'm not a football manager!

My view is - Pogs - release.

Crossley - retain as goalkeeping coach and player but remit is to leek for a long term replacement.

Stam - depends on whether he keeps doing it until the end of the season, which is at odds with talking about contract extensions now. I'd wait on Stam.

Trotman - sort an extension NOW!

Liddell - either release or retain on an appearance based contract.

MacDonald - retain.

Smalley - retain. He's not there yet, and needs more time to develop. I'd give him another year. Kelly - no idea - anyone?

Alessandra - retain - same as Smalley.

Wolfy - I'd retain, for the same reasons as Smalley, but I think it may be his last year with us. He needs pitch time - the sooner the better.

What do you think?

I'd keep them all.

With a decent defence in front of him Pogs is a very good keeper at this level. Keep Crossley too

If we get another striker in i would try and get Wolfy out on loan for the rest of this season as he needs some first team football to enable him the progress.

Kelly i've not seen that much, just a couple of youth and reserve team fixtures this season and last and he looked ok, hasn't played any first team games for us except pre-season so its difficult to say about him.

I know Lids isn't popular on here but if we are getting a big striker who is good in the air then Lids will be able to put decent balls in the box for him all day long, you have to remember at the beginning of the season we had Ricketts who wanted the ball in to his feet and Davies who isn't the best in the air so Lids had no-one to aim for. If we get a big striker in and Lids comes back from injury i think people will notice the difference

Smalley we should definatly keep, he could go far

McDonald/Trotman/Stam should keep all three, they are very good players

Alessandra, a one year deal and try and get him out on loan for a few months this season

Lomax keep, though i doubt he will be first choice, so it depends whether he is willing to stay and fight for a place

Edited by Gemma06

Pretty sure Hazell has a contract till 2009 now,wolfy needs to go out on loan as does Alessandra. A lot of these younger players get so far and then come to full stop worked for trotters.

Pogs, let go

crossley, keep as no 2

Stam, keep

Trotman,keep

Lomax, keep

Liddell, keep if fit on a 1 year deal

MacDonald,keep

Smalley, keep

Kelly, 1 year deal

Alessandra, keep

Wolfenden.keep 1 more year loan out if we sign Clarke

Robert

Pogs, let go

crossley, keep as no 2

Stam, keep

Trotman, Keep - WE MUST KEEP!!

Lomax, keep

Liddell, Let go, been a good servant, but he will be on a decent wage and pass

MacDonald,keep

Smalley, keep

Kelly, 1 year deal

Alessandra, keep

Wolfenden. Let go

Wolfy needs games but we're in the awkward position of only at present having Hughes and Davies as strikers. Smalley is covering the wings when needed and Alessandra isn't going to threaten just yet.

Ideally we could send Wolfy on loan somewhere like Trotman and give him a year next year dependent on how his loan move went. Shez seems to rate him but sadly unless he gets the games be it with us or on loan with another side I think he'll be out in the summer.

on another thread I'm bleating on about players being loyal and then I read this lot. I know for a fact that the players read this forum and how would you feel as one of them if you saw that the fans were calling for you to be released. It would do my motivation no good whatsoever for the rest of the season. Loyalty works both ways and I feel we should encourage every player to improve with us. Lets get up a division and then see what we we need to do. Jeeze

My view is - Pogs - release, or keep as backup.

Crossley - release, not good enough.

Stam - offer new contract.

Trotman - 4 year contract extention

Liddell - release to free up wages.

MacDonald - offer new contract.

Smalley - offer new contract.

Alessandra - offer new contract.

on another thread I'm bleating on about players being loyal and then I read this lot. I know for a fact that the players read this forum and how would you feel as one of them if you saw that the fans were calling for you to be released. It would do my motivation no good whatsoever for the rest of the season. Loyalty works both ways and I feel we should encourage every player to improve with us. Lets get up a division and then see what we we need to do. Jeeze

Agree with that 100%. If people expect loyalty from the players then the very least the players can expect is some loyalty shown to them

Edited by Gemma06