Clarke - Done Deal?

to be honest after hearing it I thought we would be a better proposition than southend being oop north and the fact hes already played for us but if his agent is touting him around and holding out for better offers then I would rather have someone not quite as good but who would crawl through broken glass to play here and no I don't know who

Sadly pal, those players are few and far between, especially in this day and age!

I've heard two competing rumours over why he didn't sign for Southend. One was that he had a godawful game in his last loan appearance and they decided the money wasn't worth gambling with. The other is that it was a done deal and his agent demanded an extra £30,000 in fees for arranging it (there was no suggestion that this was illegal, I should point out, just fairly sharp business practice), which put backs up at Southend.

Either way I'm not too concerned if the transfer fee is any more than £100,000; I don't rate him more highly than that.

The Sheffield Star reports:

"Francis Jeffers has joined Akpo Sodje in a fitness fight after missing the defeat at Cardiff - and manager Brian Laws may have to decide whether to give Leon Clarke a Hillsborough chance or recall Deon Burton.

Laws believes that the lack of a settled strike partnership is having an adverse effect.

His selections will depend on whether Sodje and Jeffers are fit. Both have ankle problems, and Jeffers' unexpected blow resulted in a surprise start for Clarke on Saturday.

Clarke is eligible to face Derby as the Owls declined permission for to him to play for Southend while he was on loan with them.

Laws plumped for Clarke on Saturday and felt that an away game could be the right environment for the 22-year-old who has not been a favourite of the Hillsborough fans.

Burton was on the bench but took over from Clarke in the 76th minute and may be in contention to face old club Derby."

So if Clarke plays and becomes cup-tied it would affect his value if he moves to a club still in the F.A. Cup. Watch this space!

From today's Yorkshire Post:

"RUMOUR... Wednesday striker Leon Clarke could be returning for a second spell on loan with Oldham Athletic after the collapse of his proposed permanent switch to Southend United."

Tonight's postponement of the game against Derby means that he is still not cup-tied.

if he was any good some other club would have had him by now (leeds).probably another rickets.

please oafc let the fans know if there is anything happening, like a watch this space,they say no news and all that but its killing us!!!! :angry:

The last thing we need is for the club to come out and tell the world who they are after - we don't want Doncaster coming in and nicking them, do we now?

The last thing we need is for the club to come out and tell the world who they are after - we don't want Doncaster coming in and nicking them, do we now?

Exactly... but I dont really think this one is "under the radar" anymore, really....? Agree that a loan is the best option, to see if he can have the sustained impact he had last time round... the only worrying thing is that I hope the terms of the loan can be season long as discussed before... not just the usual 3 months... i for one still have not given up that playoff flame yet...

To be honest... dont think donny are sniffing on this one... not thier style of player, leeds would be the worry, but thay have that Norway international on trial so I imagine the eggs are in that basket.... you never know but looks as if Latics or the wednesday boo boys are his only options (ironic really! - as Latics have such welcoming fans...) .. plus the wendies need to ship him out if they want to bring anyone else in....

I'm just looking forward to him standing next to Davies... will be like a before and after weight-watchers photo.... :wink:

And end of season loan is a lot better than signing him to be honest.

But if he is succesful then his desirability will increase, other clubs come in for him, he may move on, fans here start slagging him for his lack of loyalty......

Neil Kilkenny , deja vu.