Fans to blame?

If it's any consolation, I LIKE the way you highlight in red - but I don't necessarily agree with you :)

Brighton had been threatening to score for 20 minutes. Corners, 20 yard free kicks and more posession than 10 men should have been allowed. That was hardly shutting up shop.

Brighton were given enough space in midfield to build a boating lake, yet were on us the moment a player received a pass.

The reason so many posts mention they were expecting an equaliser is that we were being pushed back at home by a 10 man team who hadn't got the confidence of beating Everton to back them up like Latics had.

As I've said elsewhere, the team had 90+ minutes of encouragement from me, but if we were to follow the example of Shez, we would have moaned all through that game. He knows how disappointing we were, and like any manager, will have to shoulder the responsibility - not blame it on the fans.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's any consolation, I LIKE the way you highlight in red -thanks!!!- but I don't necessarily agree with you :)no worries... :)

Brighton had been threatening to score for 20 minutes. Corners, 20 yard free kicks and more posession than 10 men should have been allowed. That was hardly shutting up shop.sorry..i ment that comment before we scored-in the sceond half they certainly chased us.

Brighton were given enough space in midfield to build a boating lake, yet were on us the moment a player received a pass. yep.

The reason so many posts mention they were expecting an equaliser is that we were being pushed back at home by a 10 man team who hadn't got the confidence of beating Everton to back them up like Latics had...but verbals against the team aren't gonna help are they...we all get fustrated at things going wrong during games,but when some feel fit to slag off players for a mistake,is there any wonder things go further down the pan?

As I've said elsewhere, the team had 90+ minutes of encouragement from me, but if we were to follow the example of Shez, we would have moaned all through that game. He knows how disappointing we were, and like any manager, will have to shoulder the responsibility - not blame it on the fans.we all were disappointed after the game..and shez i'm sure will be still thinking why he put on wolfie instead of ...say alexandra...he could have spread the play + held up the ball better, wasting more time...but hey ho-its all happened now....blaming the moaners is not the way i'd put it...id rather say they just arn't helping,and when we continue to lose players like trotters-future stars of the game-and they state fans at home are hard to please(to put it in nice terms)we'll know who the fingers will point to then. "quote]

Rick have to agree with you here my mate - defo a two way street, if at yeovil next week we losing 3-0 say with 5 mins left we will still be singing etc and will still clap em off, it annoys me at home why we remain quiet when we havent scored in the first ten mins or so.

we all might have an opinion on whos goood bad or indifferent etc, but again the support was a pile of old rubbish, so ok the team didnt perfom either but the support at home is getting worse and worse. back to the billiant support at Yeovil next week, cant wait for that.

Leaving aside the boo boys I couldn't believe how many left the Chaddy End early yesterday. Any true supporter knows at 1-0 its game on, true supporters should support the team in defence as well as attack. Psychologically it must have affected the players defending that corner when half the crowd had given up on the game. Supporting the team should at least start with putting a 90 minute shift in, which is what we expect from the players

Loads left early to Q for tickets for the Hudders up game ....... club/fans fault that nobody should have to leave a game early to Q for tickets for the next home game. Time to get online ticket system.

Lost one in 15, just beat Everton / Leeds away and they boo the team FFS. Yep we should have finished them off, some players seemed to lack the passion from last week .... but to boo them off ?????? Not getting tired of 14 hours days for a home game ... getting tired of the fans getting on the teams back / moaning really don't know how they believe that helps the team. what is happening on the field is the teams fault but the more the fans get on the teams back the less likely home form will improve.

Suppose I'm a disgrace didn't sing once yesterday .... better sit in the quiet sorry singing section then against Hudders then next week :wink:

No it is not. That is a long term spectator. A spectator spectates, watches. A supporter supports the team, gives support and encouragement, is supportive.

Massive difference.

So so so TRUE! Nice one Rick :lol: QUOTE "I've supported the team for 30 years blah blah, so I can moan blah blah. As Rick says SUPPORTers

Edited by mr_latics

So so so TRUE! Nice one Rick :lol: QUOTE "I've supported the team for 30 years blah blah, so I can moan blah blah. As Rick says SUPPORTers

doesnt really matter how long you have been going to bp does it really,you still shouldnt slag off the players on the pitch during the game.

there is nothing wrong with constructive critiscism,but down right booing and slagging is out of order.

i have been going to bp since 1972 with my dad.and i can honestly say no matter how bad we have played,or how bad the players have played i have never booed them.and wont.

i may have from time to time cried pass it wide.....take him on,dont pass back.but those arent negative.

on the atmoshpere.....why doesnt everybody on here have a meeting when the next season tickets are due out,then decide if we all want to sit together and create the away day noise at home.if people see a good strong bond of supporters singing together throughout the match pretty soon people will join in and make it better again.....just a thought.

QUOTE ED : on the atmoshpere.....why doesnt everybody on here have a meeting when the next season tickets are due out,then decide if we all want to sit together and create the away day noise at home.if people see a good strong bond of supporters singing together throughout the match pretty soon people will join in and make it better again.....just a thought.

Blimey Ed you after a blood bath!!!

Supporters are those that pay into the ground, they support the club. Those that choose not to sing and don't moan nor boo are not negative. They do not contribute to a players poor performance, not one jot. Now why try to alienate those supporters with this constant "you're no good to the club" attitude. This isn't directed at you ED, just the blood bath bit. It's a question to the "I am a better supporter than you" brigade. For the record, I sing when I want, I follow the boys quite a lot, I am a season ticket holder of many a year and dont never once boo. Still am equal to mi old fella who sings very very rarely and doesnt go to many away from home. Anyone want to till me my dad isn't a supporter?

Edited by Lags

You're missing the point. It's about freedom of choice. I've had season tickets in all parts of the ground. The Chaddy was the place when I was younger for atmosphere, yes but the view is not good. Main Stand seats are too close together and uncomfortable. NSM has more legroom.

Supporters evolve (or fans if you're not a supporter). Now I'm older I don't sing as much, I leave that to the younger ones. All the "old farts in the lookers" are probably lifelong Latics fans.They will have seen it all before, good and bad times. But they still keep coming.

If people want to sing then let 'em but let's move away from the notion that we should all be clones without original thoughts.

You're missing the point. It's about freedom of choice. I've had season tickets in all parts of the ground. The Chaddy was the place when I was younger for atmosphere, yes but the view is not good. Main Stand seats are too close together and uncomfortable. NSM has more legroom.

Supporters evolve (or fans if you're not a supporter). Now I'm older I don't sing as much, I leave that to the younger ones. All the "old farts in the lookers" are probably lifelong Latics fans.They will have seen it all before, good and bad times. But they still keep coming.

If people want to sing then let 'em but let's move away from the notion that we should all be clones without original thoughts.

Here Here. I have to echo these words. I am no less a supporter than anyone else who comes to the Latics. JP seems to think he has the only relevent view on this. I sing occasionally and discuss with all those around me football matters whilst applauding the good bits and berating the bad bits. Thats my right as a paying customer.

Go on Rick, at least redress the balance by admitting the performance was poor. You've said it's a 2 way street - the supporters have paid the wages and got a poor performance in return. It can't ALL be the fault of the fans can it?

I have no problem whatsoever in agreeing that the performance was poor yesterday.

Latics scored, so the team had done their bit. Many people talk about how the atmosphere of the game as whole very much depends on the team. I could understand the rubbish atmosphere at Walsall as we never got going at all.

Now, you have to admit that the atmosphere after we had scored and were winning was very poor indeed. Therefore as we agree that it is a 2 way street, the home crowd should accept some responsibility for the end result - not just start slagging players off left right and centre.

If you look back to Leeds and Everton, the atmosphere was electric even BEFORE a ball was kicked. Yesterday was embarrassing.

Here Here. I have to echo these words. I am no less a supporter than anyone else who comes to the Latics. JP seems to think he has the only relevent view on this. I sing occasionally and discuss with all those around me football matters whilst applauding the good bits and berating the bad bits. Thats my right as a paying customer.

Sometimes this "I pay my money, so I will say what I want" attitude makes me wonder if Saturday afternoon is the time that these people get to put someone else down as they get put down at work and home all week.

If I realised that I was a serial moaner, I would stop going and do something enjoyable with my time.

I am not saying that you shouldn't go - we certainly need as much support as possible - both financially and vocally. I am 39 years old and despite receiving dirty looks off other people when I sing, I do so as I want to help out my team. I enjoy going and I enjoy getting behind the team. Yesterday was disappointing both on, but more disappointingly OFF the pitch.

people can moan at home for free so dont give me the "ive paid my money im entitled to moan crap". You pay your money to get behind the team.

im not defending the players yesterday, they should have gone for the kill and had that game sewn up long before brighton scored, and the players know that, they dont need us to remind them.

But the support was terrible. No ifs, no buts, no arguements. We had better support when we were getting drubbed 3-0 at home every week under ritchie than what we have been getting this season. The away support/ results just proves the players play an awful lot better without the serial moaners getting on their backs, and when they have positive fans who will get behind them from start to finish, yes even when, surprise surprise, we are not quite producing football brazil should be proud of and we are shock, horror, a goal down!!!!!

We are playing in the third tier of english football and have been doing for over ten seasons now. We are not a big club, and pretty football doesnt always win games.

If we as fans raise the roof and get behind em ALL THE WAY, and we have still played crap or not tried, then i will have a go at players, but even then i will save it till the final whistle!!!

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Here Here. I have to echo these words. I am no less a supporter than anyone else who comes to the Latics. JP seems to think he has the only relevent view on this....i don't hold any such view...i m just telling you your "right to moan i pays my money" attidude stinks and if i hear anyone moan at latics purely on a "because i can -i pays my money-attidude"-i tell em...i've paid my money too-and i haven't come to listen to your bull:censored:e-support the team or shut up. I sing occasionally and discuss with all those around me football matters whilst applauding the good bits and berating the bad bits. Thats my right as a paying customer.

and my paying right is to watch the game without idiots like yourself coming out with crap for the sake of it...so whos right now,mr "seen latics for 3 decades and no one else has"super spectator?

but you dont constantly slate the players at every opportunity, and fair enough you dont always sing but i bet (take note many from NSM other) look at people who do want to sing as if they have just arrived from the circus.

assuming you dont do either of the above, your post pretty much spot on, but there is a time and a place to birate players if needs be, which is after the final whistle when the result is a foregone conclusion

Edited by Lookers_Carl

yeh but bertie, fair enough you dont want to sing, you leave that to the others. But do you begrudge others singing? Do you think it is wrong that the small group of singers trying to create a bit of atmosphere are getting the sort of look from people as if they went and shat on your own lawn? That seems to be the attitude of many in the lookers upper.

Im not, and never will begrudge any supporter who wants to stay quiet. But I will come down like a ton of :censored: bricks on any supporter who is always on the players backs, always moaning, never happy, never any words of encouragment. I was convinced the thurs before the everton game we were going to get a mauling. Convinced!!!! But i still sang my heart out and got behind the team.

I was far from happy with how we played yesterday, and I let out a few f words when brighton scored, but i got behind them and shouted encouragment for the younger players like smalley etc, and still clapped them off at the end.

If I ever come into serious money I would gladly tell all the moaners to :censored: off home and subsidise the revenue created from their tickets out of my own pockets.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

people can moan at home for free so dont give me the "ive paid my money im entitled to moan crap". You pay your money to get behind the team.

im not defending the players yesterday, they should have gone for the kill and had that game sewn up long before brighton scored, and the players know that, they dont need us to remind them.

But the support was terrible. No ifs, no buts, no arguements. We had better support when we were getting drubbed 3-0 at home every week under ritchie than what we have been getting this season. The away support/ results just proves the players play an awful lot better without the serial moaners getting on their backs, and when they have positive fans who will get behind them from start to finish, yes even when, surprise surprise, we are not quite producing football brazil should be proud of and we are shock, horror, a goal down!!!!!

We are playing in the third tier of english football and have been doing for over ten seasons now. We are not a big club, and pretty football doesnt always win games.

If we as fans raise the roof and get behind em ALL THE WAY, and we have still played crap or not tried, then i will have a go at players, but even then i will save it till the final whistle!!!

100% entirely correct! Spot on that man. With being a fan, supporter or spectator there's a responsilibity. When the lads are on the pitch, you urge them on, not hold them back. It's clearly in the heads of some players that they can't do anything right at home to please some of our fans. Sadly, that's built up through a number of games, not just yesterdays. But it's games like yesterdays that highlight it more than most...purely due to how we cocked it up. I'dve been happy with a less than convincing win, which we were on for. Disappointed that we threw away 2pts, but look at every single player when we did and that'll tell you how much it hurts them. And I hope it gets a reaction at the next home game!

I have no problem whatsoever in agreeing that the performance was poor yesterday.

Latics scored, so the team had done their bit. Many people talk about how the atmosphere of the game as whole very much depends on the team. I could understand the rubbish atmosphere at Walsall as we never got going at all.

Now, you have to admit that the atmosphere after we had scored and were winning was very poor indeed. Therefore as we agree that it is a 2 way street, the home crowd should accept some responsibility for the end result - not just start slagging players off left right and centre.

If you look back to Leeds and Everton, the atmosphere was electric even BEFORE a ball was kicked. Yesterday was embarrassing.

Sure Rick, I agree the atmosphere was poor for a team who were leading 1-0. Maybe the moaners are expecting what happened to happen.

Chicken and egg syndrome I suppose - moaners want something to cheer about and the team need cheering on to produce something for the moaners.

We can only hope as a group of supporters that the right thing happens soon.

Lookers Carl, I don't begrudge any Latics fan who wants to sing. And I didn't say that I did. I am making the point that I am no less a supporter because I don't usually sing and I have said elsewhere that I have never booed any of our players.

What happened on the pitch yesterday is down to the Manager and the players. And for many games this season, referees and linesmen have had an impact. We go to watch them.They aren't paid to come and watch us.

And don't try and tell me that everyone sings in the Chaddy. The level of noise of support will always be relative to what's happening on the pitch.

Yesterday could have been different without the Davies substitution and to my mind Shez made a mistake.

Lookers Carl, I don't begrudge any Latics fan who wants to sing. And I didn't say that I did. I am making the point that I am no less a supporter because I don't usually sing and I have said elsewhere that I have never booed any of our players.

What happened on the pitch yesterday is down to the Manager and the players. And for many games this season, referees and linesmen have had an impact. We go to watch them.They aren't paid to come and watch us.

And don't try and tell me that everyone sings in the Chaddy. The level of noise of support will always be relative to what's happening on the pitch.

Yesterday could have been different without the Davies substitution and to my mind Shez made a mistake.

wasnt meant as an aggressive post mate, I assumed you wouldnt begrudge anyone, and im not saying everyone sings in the chaddy, and not saying you are any less of a supporter than me or anyone else. The point I was making is that there was quite a few ppl in the lookers upper who were begrudging them, and im sure I heard some ppl telling them to be quiet, and those are the fans I am getting at

Fully agree also that the davies wolfenden sub was the wrong move and we could have hung on, and I think we should have gone for the kill and had we have got a second we wouldnt have had to try to 'hang on'/

The point I was making is that the supporters I have an issue with are the ones who constantly shout abuse, never any encouragement, and that as fans we can influence the way a game goes by getting behind the team. Yesterday being no exception.

Apologies if my post implied anything other than this

YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put your handbags away!!! As i recall, when this site first started it was a refreshing change from going on (cant remeber its name now, not JK, the other one) and reading drivel from wiggum and scunny fans. Seems to me that there is as much yelling at each other on here as fans v players at BP! Why dont you all go cyberkick 6 colours of cyber:censored:e out of each other then kiss and make up, because, if i'm allowed an opinion, its getting really boring.........

Bottom line for me ...... its nothing to do with atmosphere but at any time but, especially after the week we have just had, ........... booing the team off is totally unacceptable and damaging.

Looking forward to Yeovil, no moaners, no boo boys ....... just supporters of this club, those we'll be singing all the game and those silently watching the team they love.

Problem is the mentality some people have going into games that it'll be a cakewalk. Then wonder why we're not cruising it and subsequently get on players backs. People cant say it doesnt happen as it's been evident at loads of games this season. Including Saturday. Is it any wonder one of our only two wins came against arguably the best side in the division - Swansea, where most people would have probably been happy with a draw.

Going into games against Walsall, Northampton, Bristol Rovers to name but a few - How many people thought it'd be nothing but a win??

Isnt it funny in games that rarely anyone thinks we'll win, we up our game and get a result. Funny enough, most of them happen to be away games where no doubt opposition fans look at us as a winnable game.

but you dont constantly slate the players at every opportunity, and fair enough you dont always sing but i bet (take note many from NSM other) look at people who do want to sing as if they have just arrived from the circus.

assuming you dont do either of the above, your post pretty much spot on, but there is a time and a place to birate players if needs be, which is after the final whistle when the result is a foregone conclusion

I never look at People who are singing like that and usually join in. I am older now so feel a little self conscious when trying to start the singing. I never berate the players whilst they are playing and come on sites like this to discuss the game and its good and bad points. Its just that other posters seem to think their view is the only one which is correct. I didn't even shout anything at Davies on Saturday. Just sat with my head in my hands......