I'm a bit puzzled...

Why everyone seems so keen to see the back of Neil Eardley. Last season he played consistently well, and although his form may have dropped off slightly this year, he hasn't all of a sudden lost that potential.

I know for a fact that last season he was watched by a number of premier league clubs and speaking to a scout for one of those (who i know through my work) he recommended that this club sign him as he really rated him. I think it would be shortsighted for the club to offload on the basis of a drop in form, when he's only 19 years old and is yet to reach him full potential!

Seems he's becoming a bit of target for the boo boys at the club same as Smalley.

Everyone is raving about Trotman - i'll judge him when he's played a full season instead of the 15 or some games he's played so far. For me if someone offers 500k for him, i'd sell him as we have amble cover at centre back, and i'd keep Eardley.

Just an opinion....

I don't think anyone wants either to go but if a ver very generous bid was made for either I can see TTA considering it. If that was the case it would be harder to replace Trotman than Eardley. Both are good players but we have a ready made right back in Lomax whereas Thompson isn't anywhere near as good as Trotman, not many players are.

Guest oa_exile

Realistically i dont think anyone wants any of our players to leave but it's that time of year and a lot of "Speculation" about our youngsters.

We have also have ample cover at right back .......... Lomax , Hazell , Thompson and also Macca can play there.

This time last year it was Taylor off to Leeds for £750K and Eardley off the Liverpool for £1M

I think it's just a general discussion on IF we have to lose one who would we prefer to lose and how could we cover that postition.

Totally agree with Blue79.

The lad is 19 and has already achieved so much in his career. With more experience, he will play at a much higher level than Latics. I think the fact he has been in the team for so long makes people forget just how young he is. The stick that he was getting from a numpty behind me at Everton (you know, that 5th placed Premier League team with a top South African International left-sided midfield player) was quite unbelievable.

In my opinion, Eardley should be playing every game and the CH pairing at the moment for me would be Trotman and Hazell. That would be tough on Stam who has been doing well but for me, he's not as good (lacks pace and makes too many silly mistakes) as the other two CHs.

Why everyone seems so keen to see the back of Neil Eardley. Last season he played consistently well, and although his form may have dropped off slightly this year, he hasn't all of a sudden lost that potential.

I know for a fact that last season he was watched by a number of premier league clubs and speaking to a scout for one of those (who i know through my work) he recommended that this club sign him as he really rated him. I think it would be shortsighted for the club to offload on the basis of a drop in form, when he's only 19 years old and is yet to reach him full potential!

Seems he's becoming a bit of target for the boo boys at the club same as Smalley.

Everyone is raving about Trotman - i'll judge him when he's played a full season instead of the 15 or some games he's played so far. For me if someone offers 500k for him, i'd sell him as we have amble cover at centre back, and i'd keep Eardley.

Just an opinion....

Totally agree big man... and after my full back rants earlier this season I am going to back down and say, for me, we are a far better side when we have eardley at Right back and Hazell at centre back.... just look so much more controlled, composed, and more of a threat going forward.... for me positionally Hazell is superb... i've said it before he reminds me of a lower division jamie Carragher - and for people to say he can cover eardley at right back is just an absolute waste of hazell's talents..

Positionally now eardley is pretty perfect, his distribustion is still dodgy but at least he gets things moving going forward, and without a natural right winger I am stunned he is not the first name on the teamsheet...

For me, if you are looking who is expendable it is Trotman - Hazell is a better CB (at the moment!) than him, and eardley is a better right back than hazell....

I think again eardley is a victim of his age by the fans - like Davies and Smalley people forget how old he actually is, and suddenly expect him to be the finished article... eardley will still improve much more than Trotman as he has more ability - and will play at a higher level than trotman will.... for me, there is only one of the two i would fight off a £500k offer for.....

Just an opinion....

I wouldnt worry about the club being shortsighted im sure they are aware of Eardleys talent... i dont think we will be seeing the back of him to soon. i think hype and expectations have shot through the roof this summer hence the overreactions and overanalysing of all our players this season. We have a good young squad and with a few more additions if Shez can keep it together we should be looking good!

The stick that he was getting from a numpty behind me at Everton (you know, that 5th placed Premier League team with a top South African International left-sided midfield player) was quite unbelievable.

Still the funniest part of the day... eardley had just outstripped Pinaar to a ball, and put a reasonably accurate ball forward to hughes... "Eardley you're a numbnut" - the whole section of the crowd just stared at him with contempt - Idiot...

The lad is 19 and has already achieved so much in his career. With more experience, he will play at a much higher level than Latics. I think the fact he has been in the team for so long makes people forget just how young he is. The stick that he was getting from a numpty behind me at Everton (you know, that 5th placed Premier League team with a top South African International left-sided midfield player) was quite unbelievable.

In my opinion, Eardley should be playing every game and the CH pairing at the moment for me would be Trotman and Hazell. That would be tough on Stam who has been doing well but for me, he's not as good (lacks pace and makes too many silly mistakes) as the other two CHs.

Agree Geoff, the abuse Smalley and Eardley have been getting from the clown who sit behind me is a joke. They wouldn't know a player if he kicked him in the gonads. (They're not young these morons either all in their 50s)

They're kids learning their trade in the first team, one is already a full-international and that says its all for me. Whilst Eards distribution sometimes lets him down he's probbaly the best striker of a ball we have at the club (after Liddell). As for Smalley at times he was our only threat against Everton and will be a superb player if the boo-boys let him develop into one. As for your CB paairing spot on. Stam is not the player he was last season, looks leggy, clumsy and very prone to dropping large goolies and spends a remarkable amount of time on his backside.

Edited by oafcprozac

... and after my full back rants earlier this season I am going to back down and say, for me, we are a far better side when we have eardley at Right back and Hazell at centre back....

I am glad I didn't buy you that pint at Everton now

:tongue1:

as good as I think Eardley already is, how much more would he be worth if he could learn to put a decent cross in??

Put some belters in last season, particularly for Porter at Brighton, but we had a forward who could win headers in the oppositions box. Think Eards like Chris Taylor benefitted from playing on his respective side of the pitch with Simon Charlton and Liddell, their experience is paramount when helping young kids along and we reaped the benefit for most of last season. IMO thats why both have, haven't been as free-flowing or as confident as last season.

we have amble cover at centre back

the funniest typo I've seen for ages...... when are Gregan and Thompson fit again?

I'd argue 500k for Trotman isn't enough based on recent figures for young defenders, and given that we'd have to replace him

for example Dan Gosling £2mill

reason for edit - fresh evidence

Edited by OminousPoultry

I think that Eardley gets targeted as still makes the odd mistake (as you would expect for his age) and he plays in a position that I would argue involves more know-how than perhaps any other. If the numpties could see beyond that they might notice a player who looked like a Premiership player when he was playing against a Premiership team. Everybody played out of their skin that day but I thought Eardley looked the most natural at that level.

If the numpties could see beyond that they might notice a player who looked like a Premiership player when he was playing against a Premiership team. Everybody played out of their skin that day but I thought Eardley looked the most natural at that level.

Absolutely agree. That was one of the key things I took from that performance. He settled quicker than anyone else, and I think that went along way to getting the whole team going. Proper captain's performance.

which makes dropping him look even stranger

Must admit I was surprised he didn't start on Saturday. Made me wonder if we were about to discover he'd gone. But also, Brighton had an aerial threat (particularly at set pieces) which meant it made sense to bring Trotman back in, plus you couldn't really drop Hazell after his performance at Everton.

If he was left footed problem would be solved! :grin:

This may seem like a shot in the dark but didn't Stam play left back when he first came to the club?

Eardley rb

Hazell cd

trotman cb

stam lb

Sure he lacks some pace but Simon Charlton wasn't a speed demon.

Personally i am more worried about who we are bringing in for the centre of the park because we need that creaitvity that Kilkenny had and Wellens before him.

Sure he lacks some pace but Simon Charlton wasn't a speed demon.

Charlton is the player we still miss most at the back. He wasn't the quickest but he knew exactly where he had to be and bossed the other players.

We are still missing that.

No way does Stammy (who I rate) come even close to Charlton.

It's sad knowing that secretly, there is an element at the club who are only waiting for Eardley's next pass astray for them to launch into a tirade of abuse to prove their right about him being "not good enough", "only plays for Wales!" and "he's so overrated." To think that we've had players at RB like Michael Clegg, Dean Holden and Terrell Forbes and these same people still want to pick at Eardley when, as a kid or maybe even just as a human, he makes a mistake. It said everything when Shez gambled and rested Eardley at Leeds and the rewards were a Premiership class performance from the lad at Everton. Only a fool would call Eardley. And to sell him for less than a million would also be foolish.....given a player like Ryan Taylor went for that amount from Tranmere a few yrs ago (and that lad from Stockport, Andy Welsh?) and as said, his understudy for Wales has been sold for more than that lately. I'd still be upset if we accepted it, BUT....the realism is we'd have to. That's just who we are.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Where is all this cover at centre half people are talking about?

Thompson - Injured, god knows how long, would need games if he did get fit

Gregan - Quality but could be out until march, then needs to gert fit

Stam - Quality at this level, but when is the next injury, lets be honest

Hazell - Looks a great signing

If we sold Trotman, where is the decent cover?

Trotman cant be on more than 500 quid PW, if we cant get him tied up, it would be very sad. He is a young lad who isn't putting a foot wrong at the moment, the likes of him, Eardley, Taylor, Smalley etc should be rewarded imo because they are the future of our football club and should be kept for as long as possible. 500k is a decent fee, but that could be made in a week if we get past Huddersfield next week, so puts things into priority. Nobody should be getting on the backs of these kids, they are quality players, I for one are proud of.

COME ON PLAY THE GAME!