• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that this idea is pure genius... mainly because it is something that I have been in discussions with the club about for several days.

At the moment it is a non-starter for reasons that I would rather not go into at the present time (as I think the potential uproar from divulging what the sticking points are might derail the whole process).

I am hoping to have further discussions with Alan and the Chief safety officer next week to see if anything can be sorted.

How are you privi to this infomation????

I know this is an age old debate and I'm probably making this point for the 100th time, but it won't matter how many people sing in the Chaddy it won't create a good atmosphere around the ground, just watch old video's when it was packed , it was rocking inside the stand but it was never really picked up by the TV mic's.

We hear every week what an atmosphere even 1 or 200 singers can make in the RRE and the same would apply to the chaddy. It seems simple to me, all that has ever been require is a new roof on the stand that projects the noise like the RRE; and with the new development that's what we should get. The pressure we need to apply to the club is to make sure in the design of the new Chaddy the accoustics are considered.

I know this is an age old debate and I'm probably making this point for the 100th time, but it won't matter how many people sing in the Chaddy it won't create a good atmosphere around the ground,

From a purely selfish point of view, when I'm in the Chaddy End I really don't care what the atmosphere is like around the ground. If the Chaddy End is rocking it will enhance my enjoyment of the game. If the players on the pitch can hear us as well then that's a bonus (as long as the support is positive :) ).

Can't hear us in the rest of the ground? Not my problem, make your own noise.

The problem at the moment is that even under a roof that supposedly keeps all the noise in, there's no atmosphere in the Chaddy End itself. The number of singers has dwindled over the years, for a number of reasons, such as singers moving to other stands, starting to bring young kids with them, or simply stopping going. The challenge now is to do something about it. In my opinion those of us prepared to make some noise need to group together. At present I believe there are too many factors stopping this from happening e.g. people are settled where they currently sit. The re-development of the ground will force first the NSM dwellers, then the Chaddy Enders, to move elsewhere. The impression I get is that the 'Paddock Army' are likely to move to the RRE. I'm prepared to do likewise, on my visits to BP. I'm not a ST holder so have the freedom to do this. Problem is, without the club's blessing, ST holders in the other stands won't be able to.

From a purely selfish point of view, when I'm in the Chaddy End I really don't care what the atmosphere is like around the ground. If the Chaddy End is rocking it will enhance my enjoyment of the game. If the players on the pitch can hear us as well then that's a bonus (as long as the support is positive :) ).

Can't hear us in the rest of the ground? Not my problem, make your own noise.

The problem at the moment is that even under a roof that supposedly keeps all the noise in, there's no atmosphere in the Chaddy End itself. The number of singers has dwindled over the years, for a number of reasons, such as singers moving to other stands, starting to bring young kids with them, or simply stopping going. The challenge now is to do something about it. In my opinion those of us prepared to make some noise need to group together. At present I believe there are too many factors stopping this from happening e.g. people are settled where they currently sit. The re-development of the ground will force first the NSM dwellers, then the Chaddy Enders, to move elsewhere. The impression I get is that the 'Paddock Army' are likely to move to the RRE. I'm prepared to do likewise, on my visits to BP. I'm not a ST holder so have the freedom to do this. Problem is, without the club's blessing, ST holders in the other stands won't be able to.

me me me me my my my my i i i, glad YOU'RE happy. The point of a good atmosphere is not just to enjoy it but to give the team a lift. Having said that you are quite correct that singers should get together. :shock:

Can't hear us in the rest of the ground?

If they can't hear the Chaddy they should get to the docs really. Shez, Tommy Wright, Dux et al never seem to fail to hear when their names are sang....also players on the pitch when singing their name and they acknowledge it....they don't seem to have a problem hearing. Oh well....

me me me me my my my my i i i, glad YOU'RE happy. The point of a good atmosphere is not just to enjoy it but to give the team a lift. Having said that you are quite correct that singers should get together. :shock:

I'm not claiming to be happy, anything but. What I am saying is that the atmosphere is a massive contributing factor to my enjoyment, whereas others just want to watch the football and it doesn't matter either way to them what the atmosphere is like. I totally agree with what you are saying about giving the team a lift and I can see that didn't come across in my post.

My point really was in reply to ghostofcecere that the Chaddy End is not solely responsible for the creation of an atmosphere. It is the latest in a long line of posts saying "We can't hear the Chaddy". If there is no atmosphere in, say, the NSM, that is surely down to the fans in the NSM, not the Chaddy Enders.

You shouldn't be able to hear the Chaddy in the rest of the ground, above the noise of those around you roaring on the team :mainstand::lookers:

It is in the club's interests financially to assist in creating a better atmosphere, as it surely contributes to lower gates.

Edited by oafc_ok

You shouldn't be able to hear the Chaddy in the rest of the ground, above the noise of those around you roaring on the team :mainstand::lookers:

It is in the club's interests financially to assist in creating a better atmosphere, as it surely contributes to lower gates.

Agree 100%

I think that the Chaddy suffers a bit from history on this one - it used to be the main hub of singing and atmosphere, but sadly not any more.

Guest oa_exile
If they can't hear the Chaddy they should get to the docs really. Shez, Tommy Wright, Dux et al never seem to fail to hear when their names are sang....also players on the pitch when singing their name and they acknowledge it....they don't seem to have a problem hearing. Oh well....

Eh ? :ass3:

BIG-EARS.jpg

Agree 100%

I think that the Chaddy suffers a bit from history on this one - it used to be the main hub of singing and atmosphere, but sadly not any more.

And also has a direct correlation to those numbers (and there's a hell of a lot of them) who say they don't sit in the Chaddy anymore but used to and used to sing. I know loads, some who left in the mid-90's (these are my older Latics mates who I didn't know then but know now and tell me about mad trips they've had to places like Falkirk away in a friendly etc.) Then there's plenty who are still leaving now who are around my age and stood there as kids singing away. And it's often them that say to me how bad the atmosphere is in there and worse still they then complain about the atmosphere around them where they sit now. The whole ground (ok, 3 sides of it) are in this together. And as Rick says, it really is only history that is a hanging weight around the Chaddy End in this debate.

Edited by boundaryblue80

And also has a direct correlation to those numbers (and there's a hell of a lot of them) who say they don't sit in the Chaddy anymore but used to and used to sing. I know loads, some who left in the mid-90's (these are my older Latics mates who I didn't know then but know now and tell me about mad trips they've had to places like Falkirk away in a friendly etc.) Then there's plenty who are still leaving now who are around my age and stood there as kids singing away. And it's often them that say to me how bad the atmosphere is in there and worse still they then complain about the atmosphere around them where they sit now. The whole ground (ok, 3 sides of it) are in this together. And as Rick says, it really is only history that is a hanging weight around the Chaddy End in this debate.

Correct. And as I've said on another thread (or it might have been earlier on this one!) where is the new generation? Surely it has always happened that fans have 'cut their teeth' in the Chaddy then moved as they got older, but there is always a new group of teenage lads to take their place. It strikes me that there are less of them coming through now. It becomes a vicious circle - No atmosphere, therefore the type of lads likely to create an atmosphere don't get hooked on coming to the game, leading to less atmosphere, and less youngsters coming through etc etc.

There's enough of us willing to start chants, as is proved regularly at away games. Unfortunately for many of us at home games there is no point as we know it will be met by silence (or a request to keep the noise down) from those around us. The only solution is to group together at home games. For me the demolition of the NSM provides a great opportunity to do this.

I agree that it shouldn't be up to just the chaddy to set the atmosphere for the whole ground but you miss my point slightly. Even with only a few hundred singers in the chaddy with the right accoustics like the RRE then the atmosphere we crave would be there. And you never know, it might have a domino effect on the rest of the ground.

I also know that Shez etc. do respond to shouts from the chaddy, but I can assure you the players cannot hear any noise from the chaddy when they are up at the RRE. They have to rely on Rick and his noisy lot for encouragement :lol:

I agree that it shouldn't be up to just the chaddy to set the atmosphere for the whole ground but you miss my point slightly. Even with only a few hundred singers in the chaddy with the right accoustics like the RRE then the atmosphere we crave would be there. And you never know, it might have a domino effect on the rest of the ground.

I also know that Shez etc. do respond to shouts from the chaddy, but I can assure you the players cannot hear any noise from the chaddy when they are up at the RRE. They have to rely on Rick and his noisy lot for encouragement :lol:

They have to rely on Rick and his noisy drunken lot for encouragement :lol:

nowground redevelopment has been given the go ahead this debate is irrelavent.

there will be so much upheaval in the next three-four years, every single one of us will be forced to change stands at some point. this will be the greatest chance we have ever had of grouping everybody together, and getting a singing section going. i have no doubt whatsoever that once the new chaddy is open, this will become the new hub of singing, and it will have a roof that shows off our singing capabilities as well.

as for the fact of nobody can hear the chaddy, well i sit in the upper main stand towards the rocky road end (i would rather sit on the side and get a half decent view at home rather than sit in the chaddy with posts and see very little of the play towards the rocky), and it is a myth you cant hear the chaddy, but i must say it is nowhere near the level it should be at. it isnt a roar, its more like a squeak. nothing against the chaddy enders, just stating a point.

When we get the new ground i will be in the new main stand probably, or the current main stand depending if we get a singing section on the sides of the ground. nothing would get me sitting behind the goals at home, the view alone doesnt make it worthwhile

The club could officially or unofficially dub a couple of turnstiles to one block 'The Singers Gates' or something. Then those who wanted to gather could quite easily do so. Well worth doing in my opinion for the new opening - any who didnt want to be there could relocate and it wouldnt cost a penny.

Correct. And as I've said on another thread (or it might have been earlier on this one!) where is the new generation? Surely it has always happened that fans have 'cut their teeth' in the Chaddy then moved as they got older, but there is always a new group of teenage lads to take their place. It strikes me that there are less of them coming through now. It becomes a vicious circle

Is it that there is less of them? Or is that society and more importantly football has changed. Those from pre-1994 (not all, but more the majority) I imagine either didn't expect success like society demands now and therefore accepted what we got a bit more readily, or we got success and just lived the dream in Royle's later days. Since then, I'd say that the generations coming through have a SKY/Premiership mentality.....that you must win every game etc. It's unacceptable to be dropping points etc. I suppose cost also dictates the mentality to succeed in every game at BP. But it doesnt happen....and for them it's deflating and turns the atmosphere ugly. I think some see the season as a 46-game meandering journey (less now than used to)...whereas a lot more do live by the "you're only as good as your last game." The young generations won't tolerate the mediocre the same than in the past, when I think it was more tolerated and thus didn't impact on the fans outlook...hence most tried to be positive at all times.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Is it that there is less of them? Or is that society and more importantly football has changed. Those from pre-1994 (not all, but more the majority) I imagine either didn't expect success like society demands now and therefore accepted what we got a bit more readily, or we got success and just lived the dream in Royle's later days. Since then, I'd say that the generations coming through have a SKY/Premiership mentality.....that you must win every game etc. It's unacceptable to be dropping points etc. I suppose cost also dictates the mentality to succeed in every game at BP. But it doesnt happen....and for them it's deflating and turns the atmosphere ugly. I think some see the season as a 46-game meandering journey (less now than used to)...whereas a lot more do live by the "you're only as good as your last game." The young generations won't tolerate the mediocre the same than in the past, when I think it was more tolerated and thus didn't impact on the fans outlook...hence most tried to be positive at all times.

Mmmm, I see what you're saying - when I say there are less it really is referring to that section to the right of the goal which for years has been where much of the singing has come from. There just seems to be a smaller group than ever in that area, making noise.

Also, it seems to me to often be the older generation who are more likely to abuse our players, although I'm sure everyone has a different experience based on where they sit. I know what you mean about the mentality though. You can guarantee at half time if we are not winning there will be some boos, and I think these often come from the younger end. It doesn't seem to matter how we have played or how unlucky we have been it seems to be win=applause, anything else=boo. Could be the Big Brother influence (i.e. booing at evictions)

The idea that people won't move from the Chaddy isnt as strong as people might think. Loads have moved in the past couple of years mainly to the Lookers. The Chaddy End was outsung a few years ago by the RRE when the club decided to open it up for 1 game to people who thought it should be the new stand to be in. Only when the club forced fans to sit in it and leave the Chaddy then there was problems.

Simple really, when we pull the Lookers down the club should state that this shall be the 'official' singing area however they arent forcing fans to leave the Chaddy. Soon, if it all goes well, the singers in the Chaddy might want to join in and decide to move too. I think though that we should be given the large part of the RRE as we'd have more freedom to move about, plus a better view of the game. Theres a few large banners aswel knocking about now which would look the dog's Boll*cks all spread out behind the goal. The question is though would the club do it? Should do really - better atmosphere, higher sales of beer and it might encourage a few more part timers to turn up more.

Simple really, when we pull the Lookers down the club should state that this shall be the 'official' singing area however they arent forcing fans to leave the Chaddy. Soon, if it all goes well, the singers in the Chaddy might want to join in and decide to move too.

By all means, everyone from the Lookers and Main Stand go in there if they wish. Very happy with that. Those in the Chaddy are happy enough there....coz the ones who weren't have mostly confessed (on here) to moving out of it (the atmosphere going with it.....?!?!) So open the RRE for them then rather than calling the Chaddy End for not wanting to relocate.

Or...they might decide not to move, but to join in with the RRE chants.....both ends behind the goal, singing for the boys....now that would be fantastic!

Edited by boundaryblue80

xbox 360's

PS 3's

Sky Tv with wall to wall matches.

Cost of tickets.

Intolerant fans

Stewards

All seater stadia.

Expecting the players in Div 1 to be at the same skill level as those in the Fab four in the Premier.

Some but not all the reasons for our young un's not being bothered.... :huh::huh:

So, open up the small section of the Rocky Road End to Latics supporters.

BUT give non-seat specific season tickets - you could even allow Season Ticket holders from other areas to use it.

Therefore,

1, You don't get the issue of more quiet fans taking up space next to singers and therefore singers too dissipated to join in with each other

2, Singers don't upset those with small childern or who don't want it to be too noisy

3, Atmosphere improved due to proximity to away fans

4, Beer served, so eveyone is tanked up :blush:

5, Accoustics are better (providing there is some sound - as if there is no sound it doesn't matter what the accoustics are like)

6, If you get wet due to being too near the front, you don't have to go in again if it is raining

7, More intimidating to away teams as we have fans on all 4 sides of the ground

I am sure that there are more reasons why I am a genius......please feel free to agree and add other reasons why this is a great idea.

:grin:

We could then e-mail the club and ask for a short term trial to prove or disprove the outcome.

PS Jus because The Beatles recorded at Abbey Road doesn't make them loud :huh:

Agree 100%!

My thoughts on the Chaddy end and its accoustics are well documented. However I would never advocate moving to the RRE for the following reasons. BP has a slope on it which runs down from the RRE to the CE. It is usually advantageous to play with the slope in the second half of a game and the players prefer playing towards their own fans in the second half. Keep it as it is but open up the roof. Theirs nowt wrong with the singers. It's all to do with the pitch of the roof.

Think the real reason behind lack of atmos is doom and gloom of people. Not enough smiling and siliness going on. Too much moaning n groaning. Would help a lot if we started winning at BP and even scoring a few goals - too much tension - even when we score we are not comfortable we are gonna keep in front. Up to the lads on the pitch to start doing the biz and put a smile on uz faces as we go WALKING DOWN SHEEPFOOT LAAAANE TO SEE THE SHEZZA ACES!!!

Think the real reason behind lack of atmos is doom and gloom of people. Not enough smiling and siliness going on. Too much moaning n groaning. Would help a lot if we started winning at BP and even scoring a few goals - too much tension - even when we score we are not comfortable we are gonna keep in front. Up to the lads on the pitch to start doing the biz and put a smile on uz faces as we go WALKING DOWN SHEEPFOOT LAAAANE TO SEE THE SHEZZA ACES!!!

the only time there is a decent atmosphere in the chaddy is when its a big game,like the playoffs last year,the chanting was awesome and i admit i had a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye for 95%of the game,my lad loved it.

but then you get the mundane ceremony of the league and its gone again,you try an keep it going but get looked at like your stupid.

most of the people i used to sit near have gone to the lookers paddocks,because it was a cheaper ticket,plus they get first pick of where to sit in new stand.

when the chaddy gets done,it will have the same roof as the rre,so you will here more noise.