shez biting his tongue

I agree it is definitely a factor, but also I think it just suits us more away from home whem teams are more likely to come at us and we can open them up easier. Our defense is very strong imo so we can deal with most teams attacks even on their own turf without much trouble, so it's in attack that away games really suit us.

Totally agree and it is to do with no creativity from midfield without a Wellens/Kilkenny type player and the fact we seem to always cross the ball from too deep.

This means the defenders are facing away from their own goal when having to deal with crosses, which is much easier to do, and the likelyhood is it's a more lofted cross which gives them time to get in position. This is in part to do with no left footed players on the left which means they have to constantly run in field and more often than not into trouble.

Just a point of the atmosphere/crowd at BP; Taggart has bemaoned the lack of atmosphere amongst the prawn sandwich brigade down the road, but it doesn't seem to have done them much harm sitting pretty at the top of the Premier League :mmm:

i understand all that but its no good saying so and so did this is the 90's or gregan did this once. none of them were teenagers finding their feet in a team were they?

If you read my post fully i did put at the end of my post "Unnfortunately we have some young, inexperienced players in our team who haven't yet learned how to cope with the crowd, they will do though, just takes time."

Fact is if they want to keep their place in the team they need to learn now. I know it sounds harsh but its their job. If we could get some more experience in the team then it would come easier for them and the likes of Smalley etc would be able to come through to the first team gradually. Shez needs to get their confidence up and get one of the more experienced players in the team to take charge on the field and not let there heads drop when things don't go there way. Eardley is captaining the team and has played international football, his confidence should be sky high and i think we will see a different Taylor after his injury, he should come back refreshed and hopefully his lack of confidence in running at defenders that he's had so far this season should be a thing of the past

i wholeheartedly agree, smalley probably wouldnt be starting if tayls was fit. so i stick with shez on this one and reitterate my hatred for abusing the youngsters and i dont mean wadsworth

Abusing them no, a bit of shouting from the crowd they have to get used to. The way Smalley was treated a short while ago was pathetic, the same with the way Forbes and Butcher were treated not all that long ago. I just think that there is more to our poor home form than just some moaning fans. Anyway hopefully Shez and the players can it right in time for Saturday. Now that Taylor is back it will give us the option to play two wide players in Smalley and Taylor which will give us some width, with Allot playing out on the left, it seems to work ok away but at home there is not enough width in the team as he drifts inside too much

Edited by Gemma06

I agree wholeheartedly with palmer1 and Frankly Mr Shankly.

We are totally unbalanced at home, where we are expected to go for the away side. In that midfield we have 3 CM's, who aren't attacking players. Macca is, but also sits back, and was made to do a lot because of Mr. Wellens.

So, we've got to pass around, and when the fans start to moan because we're "playing too slowly" or "not taking it to them", what happens? We lump it forward, and the fans pressure more because we've lost it. I know we have a right to voice or opinion, but we need to work with what we have. We go out at home not to lose the game, as it's on tehir minds. We need to play how we do away, and I'm sure we'll start getting results

We're a fantastic counter-attacking side because of Allott, Macca and JP. Kilkenny was attacking, yes, but if he only had the 2 lads up top to aim at, it was bloody tough. However, he would long it, also. So, when teams come for us, the lads in the middle get the ball and get it forward, but on the floor, where Tayls/Hughesy/Davies can exploit slack defending. Away from home, all of our goals are either from set-plays or perfectly times counters.

At home, the lads at the front can't break down a defensive set-up on their own. Hence why we need an attacking creative man. The lack of a man in the box also means we can't get balls into the box at home, but away, their defenders play up the pitch, and we can go through the middle, without needing to get balls across.

I agree wholeheartedly with palmer1 and Frankly Mr Shankly.

We are totally unbalanced at home, where we are expected to go for the away side. In that midfield we have 3 CM's, who aren't attacking players. Macca is, but also sits back, and was made to do a lot because of Mr. Wellens.

So, we've got to pass around, and when the fans start to moan because we're "playing too slowly" or "not taking it to them", what happens? We lump it forward, and the fans pressure more because we've lost it. I know we have a right to voice or opinion, but we need to work with what we have. We go out at home not to lose the game, as it's on tehir minds. We need to play how we do away, and I'm sure we'll start getting results

We're a fantastic counter-attacking side because of Allott, Macca and JP. Kilkenny was attacking, yes, but if he only had the 2 lads up top to aim at, it was bloody tough. However, he would long it, also. So, when teams come for us, the lads in the middle get the ball and get it forward, but on the floor, where Tayls/Hughesy/Davies can exploit slack defending. Away from home, all of our goals are either from set-plays or perfectly times counters.

At home, the lads at the front can't break down a defensive set-up on their own. Hence why we need an attacking creative man. The lack of a man in the box also means we can't get balls into the box at home, but away, their defenders play up the pitch, and we can go through the middle, without needing to get balls across.

Very good summary IMO. Only thing I would add is that away from home, as the oppositions defence is generally higher, long balls over the top and into the channels work a treat with the pace of Davies and Hughes. At BP games, there is no room behind the back four who will generally clean up against our aerial threat.

Due to our current style of play at home, we need a big target man. Oh for a Steve Howard or someone similar. I thought Ricketts would be that man but we never got chance to see him play alongside Hughes.

Spot on that man.

I interpreted what Shez said as the extra pressure placed with home fans and unrest as soon as we lose the ball. You can sense it every time it happens so it's understandable, especially with younger players, that they've it on their mind whenever a mistake is made.

But, you're never going to get rid of that - it's always been there. The way we play football which is plenty of passing through midfield, at this level occasionally someone will mis-control it, hit a bobble and it goes back to them. Cue sighs, grumbles and shoulders dropping by some players as we fight to get the ball back.

I think we're also pretty easy to play against at home. Teams have obviously done their homework, pack defence and midfield and go for the opportunists goal, or at the worst they get a draw. We've not closed games out either when we take the lead - last season usually when we took the lead we went on to win the game, but all too often this season we've taken the lead and the mistakes and edginess have crept in.

Away from home it's a different prospect. The onus is on the home team to attack so it leaves more areas for us to exploit which is evident in our good form. Also add in the fact that sighs, grumbles and groans aren't there (well, not from our fans anyway) when an attack doesn't come off and confidence rises.

But Shez only wants to play one way, which is fine but we do need a midfield player with a brain and good passing range to execute it.

Where do you reckon the edginess comes from Jay? How come we defend really well for 90+ mins away, but get nervous at home?

Surely nothing to do with the support (or lack of it)....

:mmm:

Where do you reckon the edginess comes from Jay? How come we defend really well for 90+ mins away, but get nervous at home?

Surely nothing to do with the support (or lack of it)....

:mmm:

I can't tell whether that's tongue in cheek or genuine Rick.

I actually think our defending is on the whole pretty good at home, but the mistakes we make are usually punished. If we were scoring goals at home conceding at the rate we do wouldn't be an issue.

Do you notice it? The general reaction and mood of people when we squander possession, or the ball pings off our feet like it's spring loaded?

People have always moaned but a way to prevent the players, management etc... from hearing is to cheer more for example on Saturday we will probably get a result because you probably not hear the moaners. :mad::(<_<

Edited by spadam

Ronnie Moore said something very similar a few months before he left and got slated for it, yet most people seem to be agreeing with Shez now that he has said it

Indeed....and Coco was saying how he was right and fans were out of order for abusing him. So was I. Personally, I think Shez is spot on. We've got a poster on here who is a mate of Smalleys (nesbitt) and even he's said that he feels more nervous at home. I personally think heads are in sands if people think it doesn't make a difference. Like was said on another post by OAFC_OK recently....if we're drawing at HT, a lot of times they're getting some boos (minor amount maybe but sometimes some strong ones)....and the kids will be going off thinking, I know I've lots to learn and I've tried my best so far etc. Often leading to a poor 2nd half at BP.