May be a transfer in the pipeline?

Not yet i'd at least try keep hold until the summer at least. Numerous reasons:

1) Try increase his stock, if he can help us push on for a play off place i think his value will go up a bit more

2) We've already got a small squad, reducing it is not an option

3) Not long enough left in transfer window for Shez to find a good replacement

Although if we dont sell him will he become disillisuioned and stop playing to his potential? (I think he'd be daft to do that)

Although if we dont sell him will he become disillisuioned and stop playing to his potential? (I think he'd be daft to do that)

It's not long since he signed a contract extension. I fully expect him to be off in the Summer but I reckon it would take a big bid to shift him now. It doesn't look like Shez fancies Lomax that much so we aren't as well covered in defence as it looks on paper.

It's not long since he signed a contract extension. I fully expect him to be off in the Summer but I reckon it would take a big bid to shift him now. It doesn't look like Shez fancies Lomax that much so we aren't as well covered in defence as it looks on paper.

If ths bid is big then yes aka £750k+ otherwise i would wait....

750k? what do you think this is - Bottom Dollar?

the club may well cash in on Eardley, but not now for that figure.

I would ask for a million plus add on's, that would would be an acceptable figure and that is pushing it I think, but he is a full international after all.

This isn't a suprise and the club will almost certainly have been expecting bids in the window.

If we have a saleable asset in our squad who would command a sizeable fee then the exit of Eardley is probably the one we could cope with best.

I think you have to be looking at upwards of £750,000 for a club captain and full Welsh international. He looked very good against Everton in the cup and think he would be a very good buy for the right club.

Mcdonald, Hazell and Lomax can all cover that position. We would need another left back but have Black as cover and Gregan, and Thompson to return from injury.

The money received would help us compete in the window to attract the the players Shez has targeted.

Guest sheridans_world

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/sto...2006525,00.html

Review from this time last year, rated as £750k - £1m then.

Must have risen since, no?

Neal Eardley, Oldham Athletic

Steve Claridge runs his eye over Oldham Athletic's up-and-coming Welsh right back

Tuesday February 6, 2007

The Guardian

This lad can play for a right-back, so much so that his defensive qualities were not the first thing to strike me. I have rarely seen a right-back have such an impact on the game offensively and, after talking to one of his opponents, found even he was surprised at how influential he had been and how many problems he had caused.

At 5ft 11in and 11st 8lbs his physique is hardly remarkable but put him near a ball and he comes alive. He was always willing to push on and link up with his right-winger, Andy Liddell. They have built up a partnership and understanding that allows them to get the best out of each other.

I've seen many a midfielder and right-winger pushed back to full-back and, in most cases, when you are watching them, it is obvious they are playing out of position. Neal Eardley, however, has great ability and uses the ball in advanced areas excellently but remains an out-and- out right-back.

I say that for one main reason - he is not the sort of player who can stop with the ball, face his opponent and then use a trick or his pace to go past him. What he is good at is joining attacks late or setting off moves where the ball is switched, then attacking his opponent at pace. When he gets upfield he exploits his quality by either putting the ball in first time or using the momentum gained to build up a head of steam before feinting with his right foot and crossing with his left or vice versa.

His crossing was exceptional with both feet and his choice of when to release the cross showed great maturity. Speaking as a centre-forward I am a great believer in quality rather than quantity when the ball is being sent into the danger zone and there were not too many times when he took the easy option, preferring to give his attackers the best possible opportunity to make the most of his fantastic delivery.

Another real bonus for his team-mates is the quality of his passing, particularly to his forwards. I felt they did not do enough for him with their movement but he was still able to drop the ball between their two markers with ease.

His judgment and weight of pass to his midfielders was exceptional and he always tried to play, in wide areas too. He does not even know where row F is, unlike most full-backs.

There are one or two weaknesses in his game: he was caught out of position once due to a lapse in concentration and should have been punished and he does not look a natural in the heading department. He also tends to play in front of his centre-halves, so they have to cover him. Although this allowed a centre-half to be pulled out of position occasionally, the benefits gained from his runs are obvious.

For all that, his positioning and organisation were very good in the main and his strength and pace rarely left him caught out defensively. When I was a kid there was always one player who was not as good as the rest and he inevitably had to play at right-back. After watching Eardley it is nice to know things have changed .

Vital statistics

Age 18

Born Llandudno

Position Full-back

Height 5ft 11in

Weight 11st 8lb

From Trainee

Awareness 8/10

Heading 7/10

Attitude 8/10

Tackling 8/10

Passing 9/10

Team responsibility 8/10

Value £750,000-£1m

Let's hope the scouts are all Northern based and didn't make the long cold trip down to Gillingham...

Definitely.

Any scout who saw that performance on Tuesday from him would be straight on the phone telling his chairman to put his cheque book away for the time being!!

£750k yes please.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/sto...2006525,00.html

Review from this time last year, rated as £750k - £1m then.

Must have risen since, no?

I'd be suprised if his value has risen since then, he's been no where near as good this season as he was last. But oone line in that article stands out for me, as it is something I have said for a while and that is the line about him and Liddell. I think it's glaringly obvious that they bring the best out of each other, neither seems to play as well without the other one.

£750, 000? 1 million pounds? Come on chaps do you really think he is worth that much? Put side club captain welsh international nonsense, how much would you really pay for him? I suggest £300000 tops, or £200000 plus a player would be far more realistic at the this stage in his career.

Hope I am wrong of course and some muggins pays huge amount of money for him.

£750, 000? 1 million pounds? Come on chaps do you really think he is worth that much? Put side club captain welsh international nonsense, how much would you really pay for him? I suggest £300000 tops, or £200000 plus a player would be far more realistic at the this stage in his career.

Not really much point in selling if those sort of offers come in. Hardly tempting.

i know what you are saying, and i dont think he has improved at all since last season.

but for market value you cannot put aside the facts that he is an international and captain at the moment.

look back at the fullbacks we have had over recent years , Holden comes to mind, he is head and shoulders above them and they all went at various times for good money alot based on potential , and thats one thing, i think we all agree on , neil has bags of potential

1 million plus add on's, if you dont ask you dont get!

Guest oa_exile

Can i just remind you all about this recent >>DEAL !<<

He is very similar to Eardley , RB , Welsh International , Young lad ONLY played about 20 first team games plus sub app ..................but is worth approx £3M with the add on's.

So .............how much is Eardley really worth ???

You can bet one thing though WE wont get anywhere near to £3M for Eardley because we arent lucky with transfer deals !

You can bet one thing though WE wont get anywhere near to £3M for Eardley because we arent lucky with transfer deals !

I don't really think it's a case of being un-lucky we just haven't had the players worth that sort of amount over the years. The one scandelous transfer was Denis Irwin at £650K (especially considering Earl Barrett went for £1.7M) but apart from that who else have we had who's gone on to acheieve that sort of success in the game?

When you watch Eardley, can you honestly say you are watching a £3M footballer?

Guest oa_exile
I don't really think it's a case of being un-lucky we just haven't had the players worth that sort of amount over the years. The one scandelous transfer was Denis Irwin at £650K (especially considering Earl Barrett went for £1.7M) but apart from that who else have we had who's gone on to acheieve that sort of success in the game?

When you watch Eardley, can you honestly say you are watching a £3M footballer?

Andy Goram , Paul Warhurst , there are a few mate when you get yer thinking cap on :bulb:

.........and the last question is NO not worth £1M , but , shhhhhhush !...... dont let the Championship clubs know that :grin:

Andy Goram , Paul Warhurst , there are a few mate when you get yer thinking cap on :bulb:

.........and the last question is NO not worth £1M , but , shhhhhhush !...... dont let the Championship clubs know that :grin:

I was a bit dissapointed with Warhurst, he never acheived the success his talent deserved. I think it was a mixture of him thinking he was a striker when he was the English Beckenbauer in the sweeper position, and also his injury record that stopped him reaching the very top. I also thought that Jobson and Andy Linighan before him would go on to great things but it never quite happened for them.

Goram........... yeah agree with that one, I think Hibs paid £350K for him. I think that was a bit of bad business on Latics part too, but I think at the time it was probably that or going bump!!

The thing with Eardley is he (and I really hope I'm wrong here) could be the next in a long line of Latics youngsters who look like world beaters when they break into the team, but their progress seems to plateau and they just don't improve. There have been loads over the years such as Bernard, Tipton, Innes, Salt, Hall etc. I think if we can get any sort of decent fee for him we should let him go, before the Championship clubs get wise to it :wink: