Beckett!

Huddersfield striker Luke Beckett insisted his winning goal which dumped Oldham out of the FA Cup was not a revenge attack on his former club.

The shaven-headed 31-year-old scored 24 goals in 36 starts for the Latics while on loan from Sheffield United between March 2005 and May 2006.

The reward for his rich return was being ushered out of the door by Latics boss John Sheridan in the summer of 2006 and sent back to Bramall Lane.

"John Sheridan took over from Ronnie Moore as manager and wanted to go in another direction," said Beckett.

"He made it public that he wasn't that interested in signing me on a permanent basis so I moved on.

"But I've got no problem with Shez because budgets are tight down in this league.

"Sheffield United wanted money for me and I think Shez thought he could bring in two or three players for what he would be paying for me.

"I enjoyed my time at Oldham and have got a lot of respect for the club and hope they do well."

Beckett's goal against the Latics - a predatory near-post header in the 10th minute - continued his run of having scored in every round of the competition so far this season.

It also sent a Terriers side managed by Oldham legend Andy Ritchie into the fifth round for the first time in nine years.

That Beckett celebrated his goal raucously and with a clenched-fist salute towards the huge travelling contingent said everything about where his allegiances now lie.

"To get a goal - any goal - is a great emotion and I was just happy that I had scored," explained Beckett.

"We had 4,500 fans here supporting us and they want to see players with a bit of passion. Hopefully we showed that."

An archetypal English centre-forward, Sheffield-born Beckett has spent the majority of his career in the third and bottom tiers of English football.

But his strike record throughout his seven-club career is impressive and close to a goal every two games.

He led the line with aplomb at Boundary Park and revealed he defied a back strain to feature in the fourth-round clash.

"I had a really bad back before the game but took about 100 paracetamol because nothing was going to keep me out of this one," said Beckett.

His eighth goal of the season for the Terriers has encouraged hopes of a place in the quarter-finals for the Yorkshire club.

Beckett - a Manchester City fan - added: "You never know, it could be my year and our year.

"I've scored in every round and if we get a big club in the fifth round - we've already beaten Birmingham - you never know what might happen.

"Manchester United would be nice but with a few Premier League clubs already knocked out, maybe we could have an easier route to the quarter-finals."

...................What we would give to have Beckett back at boundary park now?

Huddersfield striker Luke Beckett insisted his winning goal which dumped Oldham out of the FA Cup was not a revenge attack on his former club.

The shaven-headed 31-year-old scored 24 goals in 36 starts for the Latics while on loan from Sheffield United between March 2005 and May 2006.

The reward for his rich return was being ushered out of the door by Latics boss John Sheridan in the summer of 2006 and sent back to Bramall Lane.

"John Sheridan took over from Ronnie Moore as manager and wanted to go in another direction," said Beckett.

"He made it public that he wasn't that interested in signing me on a permanent basis so I moved on.

"But I've got no problem with Shez because budgets are tight down in this league.

"Sheffield United wanted money for me and I think Shez thought he could bring in two or three players for what he would be paying for me.

"I enjoyed my time at Oldham and have got a lot of respect for the club and hope they do well."

Beckett's goal against the Latics - a predatory near-post header in the 10th minute - continued his run of having scored in every round of the competition so far this season.

It also sent a Terriers side managed by Oldham legend Andy Ritchie into the fifth round for the first time in nine years.

That Beckett celebrated his goal raucously and with a clenched-fist salute towards the huge travelling contingent said everything about where his allegiances now lie.

"To get a goal - any goal - is a great emotion and I was just happy that I had scored," explained Beckett.

"We had 4,500 fans here supporting us and they want to see players with a bit of passion. Hopefully we showed that."

An archetypal English centre-forward, Sheffield-born Beckett has spent the majority of his career in the third and bottom tiers of English football.

But his strike record throughout his seven-club career is impressive and close to a goal every two games.

He led the line with aplomb at Boundary Park and revealed he defied a back strain to feature in the fourth-round clash.

"I had a really bad back before the game but took about 100 paracetamol because nothing was going to keep me out of this one," said Beckett.

His eighth goal of the season for the Terriers has encouraged hopes of a place in the quarter-finals for the Yorkshire club.

Beckett - a Manchester City fan - added: "You never know, it could be my year and our year.

"I've scored in every round and if we get a big club in the fifth round - we've already beaten Birmingham - you never know what might happen.

"Manchester United would be nice but with a few Premier League clubs already knocked out, maybe we could have an easier route to the quarter-finals."

...................What we would give to have Beckett back at boundary park now?

He didnt show much respect the way he celebrated after his goal....

Edited by oafc0000

He didnt show much respect the way he celebrated after his goal....

What ran towards the lookers to be surrounded by his team mates ? Beckett did not direct his celebration to any Latics fans so I cannot see why he showed a lack of respect.

Drphibes

And for all those sheep-like plebs who were chanting theres only one greedy b*****d,who got the last laugh yesterday eh?

Well done Luke & good luck in the next round & for the rest of the season.

Some Latics know a good player when they see one & appreciate what you did for us.Others however have short memories & feel obliged to shout obscenities(and I`m not just referring to the young chavvy scum either!).

I was in the Lookers and he ran directly towards me, he didnt give it to us so get over it.

I would have him back :unsure:

Anyone who can score is welcome just now

Looks like he is a bit of a lardy at the moment

Have to admit i gave him some stick after he scored As i would with anyone who scores against us

I was in the Lookers and he ran directly towards me, he didnt give it to us so get over it.

Drphibes

why should he not celebrate his goal as normal......

it could of been a lot worse and he could of stood in front of the chaddy gloating,but he didnt.

i would take him anytime over a micheal ricketts,he will always score goals and his record speaks for itself.

good luck to him and good luck to stitch.

why should he not celebrate his goal as normal......

it could of been a lot worse and he could of stood in front of the chaddy gloating,but he didnt.

i would take him anytime over a micheal ricketts,he will always score goals and his record speaks for itself.

good luck to him and good luck to stitch.

Yes I agree that Beckett did nothing wrong at all and I did comment at the time to my mate that Luke went up in my estimations for his controlled celebration after he scored.

Drphibes

No, no contract was ever offered to Beckett.

I just wanted this point re-itering a bit more boldly, hope no-one minds.....I was still being told yesterday that we had supposedly offered him one, despite the fact Shez has categorically stated he never offered one (see March 2007 fans forum).

Many thanks!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Yes I agree that Beckett did nothing wrong at all and I did comment at the time to my mate that Luke went up in my estimations for his controlled celebration after he scored.

Drphibes

And anyway, even if you show no emotion when you score the muppets still sing for your death.

Drphibes

No nonsense Northern Lad,Reminds me more of a Rugby League Player than a Footballer, one of a few bright moments in the Post Dowie era.

Would have had him back any time.