I am not having a pop at the lad, just after a discussion about his form, or the lack of it.

Is it the captains armband?

Is it the " I am a Welsh international"?

Is is because he has been dropped a few times?

Is Shez telling him to become a ball player, rather than the easy pass?

I think he has been well out of sorts all season. He is only a young lad and people forget that, but his passing last night and on Saturday was hopeless, desparate and shocking. And the lad knew it. Nothing wrong with his defending though.

I personally think the armband should be given to allott, as I think he needs to concentrate on his football for a bit

Thinking of the games I've seen him play in lately, I wouldn't actually say he's lacking form. He played a genuine captain's role at Goodison, and I think he's been solid all season. His distribution isn't always the best, but that's as often the fault of those ahead of him, and at least if there's nowt on he makes sure he clears it properly. I think he's flourishing with the armband, and I think he's doing far better than most give him credit for.

On being rested/dropped, you have to remember he is still a growing kid. At 19, he needs a rest occasionally otherwise he'll be burnt out come March. And his improvement in performance when coming back from a rest has been noticeable.

The guy has had to adapt to playing behind many different faces this season Allot, McD taylor Smalley etc and quite often nobody! where as when he looked so outstanding he played game after game behind the experienced old pro liddell. He's learning and doing well - just look at our defensive record - which after all is his main job !!!!

I have never got and will never get on the backs of our lads, but at the minute Eardley looks well out of place he is by far the weekest link in the team, Thankfully in the paddock last night nobody got on hus back, although had we have been losing or playing badly as a team he would have took the flack, apart for the assist he couldnt pass to a blue shirt! and hes been like that all season. I just hope he gets back to the form he showed last season.

I have never got and will never get on the backs of our lads, but at the minute Eardley looks well out of place he is by far the weekest link in the team,

The weakest link in a team that has conceded only 5 goals in its last 10 games? I'm failing to recall a single defensive mistake from Eardley in that time.

The guy has had to adapt to playing behind many different faces this season Allott, McD, Taylor Smalley etc and quite often nobody!

I'm going with this part myself. In the main he has been behind two different scenarios. Liddell in front of him was doing him no favours. Constantly turning back on Eardley's runs leaving him wildly out of position. Secondly, behind no one. With no easy out ball he is forced to lump it more often than not.

Both these make him look poor as they would any player. Given an attacking type (e.g Taylor) I reckon he'd have a field day and look ten times the player he is forced to look at the moment.

The guy who sits behind my dad was having a moan at him all game non-stop and even started doing ironic cheers when he passed the ball the crosselly once. The guy is an absolute tool he only singles out Eardley for abuse when anyone else missed place a pass there was nothing. Im sure Eardley would be the first to admit his distribution isnt always great but for God sake people remember his age.

IMO he shows great maturity for a 19 year old, I mean how many that age want to be writing the programme notes etc, thats something usually saved for the more experienced members of the team, he is clearly passionate about the club as well.

As for his defending he is very solid even when he isnt playing particularly well, I think thats why he is prefered to Lomax at RB, who can probably pass a ball better. He's playing a major part in one of the best defences in the division so id like to hope people will cut him some slack. Im sure he will continue to train hard and improve the weaker aspects of his game.

the problem with Eardley is what he does well he does very well, and what he does badly he does very badly.

there's no in between with him.

coming out of defence with the ball at his feet he looks fantastic, til he kicks it!

his crossing goes from the sublime to the ridiculous several times in every game, last night being a prime example.

his defending, especially backpasses, leave you with your heart in your mouth at times yet rarely ends up in an opposition chance/goal.

IMHO I think he struggles to concentrate at this level, rightly or wrongly thinks it's too easy - he didn't put a foot wrong at Everton.

Edited by dfOAFC

Thinking of the games I've seen him play in lately, I wouldn't actually say he's lacking form. He played a genuine captain's role at Goodison, and I think he's been solid all season. His distribution isn't always the best, but that's as often the fault of those ahead of him, and at least if there's nowt on he makes sure he clears it properly. I think he's flourishing with the armband, and I think he's doing far better than most give him credit for.

On being rested/dropped, you have to remember he is still a growing kid. At 19, he needs a rest occasionally otherwise he'll be burnt out come March. And his improvement in performance when coming back from a rest has been noticeable.

He lumped 5/6 passes towards the chaddy in the second half into a space with no blue shirt in sight. I wasnt having a pop at him, he is only 19. His distribution has been awful on many occasions this season. I felt for him last night because he knew he can do better, his hands were on his head each time.

He lumped 5/6 passes towards the chaddy in the second half into a space with no blue shirt in sight. I wasnt having a pop at him, he is only 19. His distribution has been awful on many occasions this season. I felt for him last night because he knew he can do better, his hands were on his head each time.

His radar was certainly out, I'll give you that. But the cross for the goal was sublime. So all things considered, it's balanced out.

And I wouldn't look at any of those reasons you gave earlier, because sometimes when your radar is out, it's out. He had games like that last season too.

His radar was certainly out, I'll give you that. But the cross for the goal was sublime. So all things considered, it's balanced out.

And I wouldn't look at any of those reasons you gave earlier, because sometimes when your radar is out, it's out. He had games like that last season too.

i think he's lost his radar, hasn't he?

I'm glad it counts for nothing then.

dear me,are the mods going to allow this kind of ridiculous style of posting to continue un-abaited?i thought this was a mesage board for fans if your philosophy holds sway mr shankly there would be no point in all of this as NONE of out opinions count,or do yours count?

Guest sheridans_world
dear me,are the mods going to allow this kind of ridiculous style of posting to continue un-abaited?i thought this was a mesage board for fans if your philosophy holds sway mr shankly there would be no point in all of this as NONE of out opinions count,or do yours count?

Knock it off