minutes applause on saturday

Dog walks into a DIY store.

'Got any jobs' he asks.

'Sorry we don't employ dogs' the tiller replies. 'Have you tried the circus?'

'What would the circus want with a plumber' the dog replies confused.

You either hate it or love it, I fall into the latter category and always laff when I tell it!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be Mr Nasty here - but children get murdered from time to time. It's just because Jamie Bulger was a scouser that his death was in any way connected to a football game. Boris Johnson was right. If some poor kid in Hartlepool had been killed before we played them there would have been no silence.

WRONG

We had a silence at boundary park for all those children murdered at dumblain..... That had nothing to do with football but i remember seeing people very visibly upset during that silence at boundary park..... So boris idiot johnson was very much wrong....

WRONG

We had a silence at boundary park for all those children murdered at dumblain..... That had nothing to do with football but i remember seeing people very visibly upset during that silence at boundary park..... So boris idiot johnson was very much wrong....

Single murders happen quite often, a sizable proportion of the kids in a small town getting wiped out in one go doesn't. Boris was right.

Single murders happen quite often, a sizable proportion of the kids in a small town getting wiped out in one go doesn't. Boris was right.

No way he was right.....

You dont often have children murdering and torturing children..... It was a very shocking event.... People where touched by it.... Nothing to do with him being scouse.....

EDIT: Well you didnt used to.....happens every week in london now....

Edited by oafc0000

:censored: he was right.....

You dont often have children murdering children..... It was a very shocking event.... People where touched by it.... Nothing to do with him being scouse.....

EDIT: Well you didnt used to.....happens every week in london now....

And happened every week just down the road in Manchester when I was a kid. I must have got to the games late back then, I don't remember the silences.

What two kids taking a little boy, toruting and murdering him.....yeah right mate....

There was an area not 15 miles from Boundary Park where literally scores of kids were shot, all within a few streets of each other, within a year or two. The residents of Greater Manchester didn’t wallow in self-pity, nor have a silence before football games.

There was an area not 15 miles from Boundary Park where literally scores of kids were shot, all within a few streets of each other, within a year or two. The residents of Greater Manchester didn’t wallow in self-pity, nor have a silence before football games.

What was the reasoning behind the shootings ? Drug / Gang related ?? Where they little kids or teenagers ??

I cant belive people cant see why Jamie Bulgers cause mass upset.....I wasnt at that everton game but personally i thinks its silly not to relaise they wanted a mins silence....to just dismiss it as "typical scousers" is very very wrong...

If the exactly same thing happens to a little boy in Oldham do you not think we would have a silence ??

Edited by oafc0000

And happened every week just down the road in Manchester when I was a kid. I must have got to the games late back then, I don't remember the silences.

i hope it never happens to a member or very close friend of your family,if thats your attitude to a very innocent life.

there is time and place for both silence and applause.i think the whole applause thing is better as you are celebrating that persons life and achievments.

I don't think it was a scouse thing myself, but is certainly a case of football being up itself. WTF does it matter that a bunch of people watching a sport have a minute saying nothing because a couple of kids beat another to death? If people feel strongly they'd do something about the causes. They don't, and that was just a way of making themselves feel aloof and better about themselves.

we have fans who would break the silence on saturday and that would be upsetting for anyone who knew fred.

its a fine line, but i say always silence.

why would are fans break the silence???

(some of) our fans would break the munich aspect of the silence and that would upset freds family as they would think they were disrespecting fred.

i hope it never happens to a member or very close friend of your family,if thats your attitude to a very innocent life.

there is time and place for both silence and applause.i think the whole applause thing is better as you are celebrating that persons life and achievments.

I don’t believe that no young children have been murdered in the Oldham area (or to draw the Merseyside parallel, Greater Manchester) in the approx 25 years since I first went to a Latics game. Do you want to finish my point for me? I'm not suggesting that it isn't very sad. My point is that certain deaths get grabbed by the media, or are hijacked because the victim has scouse links, or is particularly photogenic, or is a celebrity. I find the ones that don't fall into those categories as sad as the ones that do, and I don't think it's practical to have a minutes silence (or applause) for each one, so I think it would actually be more respectful not to have ones for the headline grabbers whilst ignoring the others.

I don't think it was a scouse thing myself, but is certainly a case of football being up itself. WTF does it matter that a bunch of people watching a sport have a minute saying nothing because a couple of kids beat another to death? If people feel strongly they'd do something about the causes. They don't, and that was just a way of making themselves feel aloof and better about themselves.

....if hundred of thousand people standing in silence across the country in memory of a brutal act isnt taking a stand then I dont know what is.....

I really dont like the way some people have become hardened to this stuff......

....if hundred of thousand people standing in silence across the country in memory of a brutal act isnt taking a stand then I dont know what is.....

Sorry, but that is rubbish in my opinion. It achieves nothing and is forgotten as quickly as it is done.

What would be a stand is figuring out why this was done. Boredom? Parenting? Work it out and do something about it (e.g. raise taxes to spend money on play facilities/parenting issues). Where there is a will...

Sorry, but that is rubbish in my opinion. It achieves nothing and is forgotten as quickly as it is done.

What would be a stand is figuring out why this was done. Boredom? Parenting? Work it out and do something about it (e.g. raise taxes to spend money on play facilities/parenting issues). Where there is a will...

Well you opinion is million miles away from mine and i dont think we are going to agree....

I belive that people standing up against such acts is a posative thing..... If thats a min in a football groun in silence.... Or if thats peacing demostarting outside the houses of parliment .... Its all good stuff..... The other stuff need to happen alongside people rejecting such acts on mass....

I don’t believe that no young children have been murdered in the Oldham area (or to draw the Merseyside parallel, Greater Manchester) in the approx 25 years since I first went to a Latics game.

I can remember about one. Oddly enough she was also called McCann.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

I don’t believe that no young children have been murdered in the Oldham area (or to draw the Merseyside parallel, Greater Manchester) in the approx 25 years since I first went to a Latics game. Do you want to finish my point for me? I'm not suggesting that it isn't very sad. My point is that certain deaths get grabbed by the media, or are hijacked because the victim has scouse links, or is particularly photogenic, or is a celebrity. I find the ones that don't fall into those categories as sad as the ones that do, and I don't think it's practical to have a minutes silence (or applause) for each one, so I think it would actually be more respectful not to have ones for the headline grabbers whilst ignoring the others.

well said. however sad the recent one is that the media have latched on to, i think all the footballers wearing a training top asking us all to 'look' must be very upsetting for the scores of parents whos child has been taken or killed in the time since with not even a passing reference in the national media and maybe one paragraph in the local press :angry:

I really dont like the way some people have become hardened to this stuff......

Just as you are sick of people getting hardened to it, I am sick of people getting all mawkish about certain incidents to the ignorance of those that don’t make a good headline. Try this for an uncomfortable fact: if Madeline McCann was an ugly child with thick ugly parents on the dole in a slum estate, you wouldn’t remember she existed. Would you care to share the names of the other children that have gone missing in the last year? Standing up against child murder is like standing up for motherhood and apple pie. I doubt that a groundswell of public opinion is going to stop a sick weirdo from killing a kid.

Just as you are sick of people getting hardened to it, I am sick of people getting all mawkish about certain incidents to the ignorance of those that don’t make a good headline. Try this for an uncomfortable fact: if Madeline McCann was an ugly child with thick ugly parents on the dole in a slum estate, you wouldn’t remember she existed. Would you care to share the names of the other children that have gone missing in the last year? Standing up against child murder is like standing up for motherhood and apple pie. I doubt that a groundswell of public opinion is going to stop a sick weirdo from killing a kid.

I find your comments very offesnsive..... Maddie going missing was awful.... But I dont feel any less upset and sorry for all the other familes that have lost children..... You are suggesting that I wouldnt care if Madeline was a ugly child and if her parents where thick/ugly....that is a tad out of order mate..... You dont know me....

thats what ive just said but i think that it should do be done for all snathched kids or none

im loathe to say this but i honestly dont believe that if the recent spanish incident was a fat black kid with buck teeth we would even know about it.

Now I accept this point...some what... You would know about it...it would be on page 3 or 4.... No doubting that the media scrum is very selective....

Edited by oafc0000