minutes applause on saturday

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find your comments very offesnsive..... Maddie going missing was awful.... But I dont feel any less upset and sorry for all the other familes that have lost children..... You are suggesting that I wouldnt care if Madeline was a ugly child and if her parents where thick/ugly....that is a tad out of order mate..... You dont know me....

You wouldn’t remember because you wouldn’t see it all over the media, not because you don’t care. Name me the other kids.

You wouldn’t remember because you wouldn’t see it all over the media, not because you don’t care. Name me the other kids.

Well there are two totally different issues....

1, The media coverage of events. All these crimes are reported but only some are made headlines and reported for weeks.

2, People feeling upset and grief about it. I think this is posative.

To be honest mate. I read this stuff and I feel awful for the familes. But then I forget it, you cant go around carrying grief for ever. So I cant name the other children. But I read about alot of different cases involving children. I dont belive any are more importan / less important and I felt greif about them all. I think the ones that stick in the head and are lacthed onto by the media are the ones involving very young children who have been murdered. Dameilo Taylor, Jamie Buldge, Maddie, these two young girls from Soham.... I think the violence we are seeing in london is usally drug / gang related (but not always) and people lose less sleep other this becaus the (sometimes) turn out to be questionable characters.....

well said. however sad the recent one is that the media have latched on to, i think all the footballers wearing a training top asking us all to 'look' must be very upsetting for the scores of parents whos child has been taken or killed in the time since with not even a passing reference in the national media and maybe one paragraph in the local press :angry:

Its all about money and media manipulation in the McCann situation. I remember some 10-15 years ago a little lad disappearing in Greece or somewhere whilst his family were on holiday. There was a bit of press for a short time but Jordan got her boobs out or something and the newspapers lost interest. Plenty of money been has been raised to keep the McCann child in the public eye. I am not hard hearted but I feel for the first family whose kids been missing for ages but have become a little hardened towards the McCanns because of their manipulation of the media. As far as a minutes silence is concerned I agree with several posters who have said that some one like Mr Ogden should have his life celebrated with a minutes applause whilst tragedies like Dumblane and Munich should be respected with a minutes silence..

Its all about money and media manipulation in the McCann situation. I remember some 10-15 years ago a little lad disappearing in Greece or somewhere whilst his family were on holiday. There was a bit of press for a short time but Jordan got her boobs out or something and the newspapers lost interest. Plenty of money been has been raised to keep the McCann child in the public eye. I am not hard hearted but I feel for the first family whose kids been missing for ages but have become a little hardened towards the McCanns because of their manipulation of the media. As far as a minutes silence is concerned I agree with several posters who have said that some one like Mr Ogden should have his life celebrated with a minutes applause whilst tragedies like Dumblane and Munich should be respected with a minutes silence..

I find it hard to critise the McCans for manipulated the media... If it was my child I would of probably done the same.... There is no doubt that overall it massivly backfired... The portugues police felt besiged and they end up getting named suspects....

I find it hard to critise the McCans for manipulated the media... If it was my child I would of probably done the same.... There is no doubt that overall it massivly backfired... The portugues police felt besiged and they end up getting named suspects....

I'm not knocking the McCanns for what they are doing. Just railing at the injustice of a society which lets money talk so loudly. .... (Ouch that hurt me head. Felt like Tony Benn for a minute!!!!!)

Just as you are sick of people getting hardened to it, I am sick of people getting all mawkish about certain incidents to the ignorance of those that don’t make a good headline. Try this for an uncomfortable fact: if Madeline McCann was an ugly child with thick ugly parents on the dole in a slum estate, you wouldn’t remember she existed. Would you care to share the names of the other children that have gone missing in the last year? Standing up against child murder is like standing up for motherhood and apple pie. I doubt that a groundswell of public opinion is going to stop a sick weirdo from killing a kid.

You've gone to the other extreme from the McCanns to the kid in the slum going missing, but your point is correct. I personally find it sick how the McCanns have become the celebrities of 2007.....ok, they haven't asked to become that but the point LL makes is spot.....the media have totally eaten up the story and made millions from the McCanns....they're now thinking over doing paid interviews etc in America now.....WTF??? Just everything is wrong about the McCanns case....so much I could say, but probably best I don't!

Just everything is wrong about the McCanns case....so much I could say, but probably best I don't!

Same here, if I said what I thought on here about the McCanns case a few people might take offence, what ever has happened to that little girl is not going to be pretty. Across the world on a daily basis kids go missing or kids are killled or die through extreme poverty yet no one bats an eyelid or slags off those that try and help and label them as "do-gooders".

As for the minutes silence/applause there are some occasions when silence is the only thing to do, on armistice day silence is the only thing to do yet for someone like George Best applause was very fitting. I doubt that anyone would have abused the silence for George yet it somehow was right that people clapped. As has already been said when someone has a good innings and shuffles of this mortal coil at the end of their life applause fits as we are recognising their life. If someone loses their life prematurely then it would feel wrong to applaud, however there will be exceptions to the rule. Cloughie should have had a minutes applause but that trend hadn't started yet, without tempting fate Bobby Robson will get a minutes applause rather than silence and this will be most fitting.

I thought it was wrong to have a minutes silence for Holly and Jessica at football grounds as they are nothing to do with football yet as they were murdered in a high profile case they got a silence. We haven't had a silence for the 5 prostitutes killed in Ipswich, are they less deserving than Holly and Jessica?

You've gone to the other extreme from the McCanns to the kid in the slum going missing, but your point is correct. I personally find it sick how the McCanns have become the celebrities of 2007.....ok, they haven't asked to become that but the point LL makes is spot.....the media have totally eaten up the story and made millions from the McCanns....they're now thinking over doing paid interviews etc in America now.....WTF??? Just everything is wrong about the McCanns case....so much I could say, but probably best I don't!

I think at first they did everything they could to get her in papers and keep her there hoping she would be spotted (a flawed idea as it proved but nether the less I can understand where they was coming from). Now I think they need to come to terms with there lose. She isnt coming home. And they now need to go away and get on with there lives (however hard that might be). Going to america to do interviews, whilst will raise money to keep the search on, really is pointless. Now I dont belive they would do it to just "profit" but I do question if the money will help them find them and will just act to keep them from accepting what they clearly need to accept. I belive she has gone. The rule of thumb is if you dont find them in 24 hours, your not getting them back alive. I think were watching a couple not being able to let go. I think the media are sick to keep selling papers off them and making stories about them, even if they are partly to blame for this themselves by keeping the story alive.

I thought it was wrong to have a minutes silence for Holly and Jessica at football grounds as they are nothing to do with football yet as they were murdered in a high profile case they got a silence. We haven't had a silence for the 5 prostitutes killed in Ipswich, are they less deserving than Holly and Jessica?

Totally agree....again, another one I walked out on. The only reason that got a minutes silence was because of the picture of them in the papers with a Red Scum shirt on. Terrible what happened...but absolutely nothing to do with football.

Well thats a private question for everyone. I could tell you my asnwer to that question but I know it will upset people :)

I don't remember one for Fred and Rose's children, are they less deserving too? Some of their other victims may have been sex workers which I guess you would feel the same way as the Ipswich lot about but their children were victims too.

Totally agree....again, another one I walked out on. The only reason that got a minutes silence was because of the picture of them in the papers with a Red Scum shirt on. Terrible what happened...but absolutely nothing to do with football.

I personally dont feel that it has to be linked with football. Didnt we have a min silence for the people killed in the london bombings. I felt that was fitting and was happy to "pass on" my condolences. I dont blame people for being against it. But I think BB80 is right to walk away if your against. But at the same time, I think its noble and fitting and want it to continue.

.............Mr Ogden should have his life celebrated with a minutes applause whilst tragedies like Dumblane and Munich should be respected with a minutes silence..

This is, for me, where the issue gets blurred.

United fans would no doubt dismiss the idea, but what is wrong with a minute's applause to remember the victims of the Munich accident?

To assimilate this complete accident (tragic though it was) with the premeditated murder of school children is, in my eyes, lucacy.

It was tragic, of course it was, but if people can't see the difference between premeditated incidents like 9/11, Dunblane etc and tragic accidents in which innocent people were killed, then there is no hope of ever finding a happy medium.

I don't see the problem in celebrating the lives of people by applause, particularly in the cases of people like Fred Ogden and Chubb who both died of natural causes. Even in the case of Munich, it's 50 years ago now. can we not be sensible and move away from mourning and grieving to celebrating the lives of the brilliantly talented players who paved the way for English clubs to play in Europe.

There will always be one or two slightly grey areas such as Hillsborough and Bradford which of course weren't pre meditated and were tragic accidents, where a period of silence is wholly appropriate etc, but on the whole I don't see the issue with the applause thing.

Edited by danoafc

I don't remember one for Fred and Rose's children, are they less deserving too? Some of their other victims may have been sex workers which I guess you would feel the same way as the Ipswich lot about but their children were victims too.

The death of someone is horrible and is almost always a awful thing (Suddam Hussian etc aside)

If a death warrants a min silence is not a fluid thing. I dont think if you have one for one and not the other it deems the other less deserving.

If your asking me who I felt worse about / more for....five prostitutes hooked on drugs and breaking the law or two innocent little girls. Then i think you know the answer.... Although I do feel for the those five people.

The rule of thumb is if you dont find them in 24 hours, your not getting them back alive. I think were watching a couple not being able to let go. I think the media are sick to keep selling papers off them and making stories about them, even if they are partly to blame for this themselves by keeping the story alive.

Spot on! I personally feel the poor thing was dead within 24-48hrs. I feel that the exposure there has been, the sightings would've been far higher than has been. You're probably right, it is probably a lack of acceptance and the media/mercenaries around them offering endless false hope which has led to what it's become.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I think they are wracked with guilt. Either guilt that they shouldn't have left their children alone in a room (with windows and doors unlocked) in a foreign country or guilt...

NB: Words in bold are mine, not attempting that to look like I'm putting words in BT's mouth...

If your asking me who I felt worse about / more for....five prostitutes hooked on drugs and breaking the law or two innocent little girls. Then i think you know the answer.... Although I do feel for the those five people.

I know. Was a bit apples and oranges but you get my point. None of them should have a minutes silence within a football ground, none of them played football at a decent level and regardless of whether some lived a good wholesome family life and some, well it gets a bit blurry they still shouldn't have had a minutes silence at Boundary Park.

This seems to have moved to the media side of things now, and clubs obviously follow the media (like we all do). The McCann's were very media friendly to acheive their goal. Like everyone, I am unsure of what this is. To find their child or to cover the guilt of having done it themselves? Either or, I feel we may never know. The media fed on this as it is free news. They can fill space in their tabloid trash at no cost (see Big Brother etc.). If you disagree with what they have done then you know what to do.

The whores of Ipswich aren't quite the same. Their families had largely disowned them and they were law breaking trash. Not much sympathy there from the general public. Not going to sell newspapers. Obviously whilst on the run this bloke was a risk and posed as news, but once that was done it was relegated to the back of nowhere.

NB. Children are obviously more worthy of our pity than someone who has knowingly put themselves in a dangerous situation.

Edited by OldhamSheridan