minutes applause on saturday

does anybody else view the minutes applause as a bit of a cop out? i understand it drowns out anybody who wants to break it but why not let people break it? thought we lived in a free country (i dont really think this im just making a point). the bbc yesterday muted the sound when people started to shout, now thats even more of an insult than the shouters, its an insult to my intelligence.

theres a minutes applause on saturday for fred ogden but we all know theres a lot of silences/ applauses on saturday for munich, i want to stand in silence on saturday, does that make me a knob for not applauding like everyone else? we have fans who would break the silence on saturday and that would be upsetting for anyone who knew fred.

its a fine line, but i say always silence.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This debate goes on every time someone dies. To applaud or sit in silence is like Marmite – some people are right about it, some are very seriously wrong. For myself I prefer applause, as I would like to celebrate the person’s life rather than mourn the death. As I’ve said before, the silence is very English in my mind, and the English are really crap at dying and all the related stuff. It is a shame that there’s the added issue that applauding covers up people who don’t join in – there are certainly occasions where there could be trouble if some chose to disrespect the silence (Jock Stein’s 20th anniversary when Celtic were playing at Greyskull springs to mind, and I could imagine some Latics fans getting pretty irate if others were chatting away on the mobile during a silence for one of our own) but I’m sure nobody would take offence at anyone choosing to mark it in silence.

Difficult one this, I can see both points of view. I do feel that silence is more respectful but I think at least with applause it 'silences' the idiots who want to shout and be disrespectful.

I think it depends on the circumstances which is more appropriate. If it's something like Munich, Hilsborough or the Bradford fire then I think silence is more appropriate for the tragic loss of life, but with something like Fred Ogden who (whilst it's still very sad) lived to a ripe old age; we should stand up and applaud his outstanding contribution to our club.

One final ponit, I really, really hope City fans show respect on Sunday; come on lads do the right thing.

One final ponit, I really, really hope City fans show respect on Sunday; come on lads do the right thing.

I'd think they will. The sad thing is that you only need one or two to shout stuff for it to ruin the respect shown by the other few thousand City fans there.

Difficult one this, I can see both points of view. I do feel that silence is more respectful but I think at least with applause it 'silences' the idiots who want to shout and be disrespectful.

I think it depends on the circumstances which is more appropriate. If it's something like Munich, Hilsborough or the Bradford fire then I think silence is more appropriate for the tragic loss of life, but with something like Fred Ogden who (whilst it's still very sad) lived to a ripe old age; we should stand up and applaud his outstanding contribution to our club.

have to agree with the above, should be a minutes silence for those who lost their lives tragically at a young age like those lost in munich.

minutes applause for those who lived to a good age and had a good long life to celebrate like by accounts Mr Ogden.

although if i had to choose, i would say minutes silence as i find it a more respectful way to reflect on a persons life. you can celebrate it afterwards in any way the individual wishes

I'd think they will. The sad thing is that you only need one or two to shout stuff for it to ruin the respect shown by the other few thousand City fans there.

You'd hope and expect that anyone starting would be robustly encouraged to shut up by those around them, for the (although it seems like an oxymoron) good name of the club if not for general decency.

I think 99.9% of the City fans will observe the silence, but you can bet your boswelox that there will be one or two who don't.

Am I the only one cynical enough to thing that despite City's requests for a minute of applause, United have insisted on a minutes silence primarily with the 'respect' thing in mind but in full knowledge that they are giving those City fans the rope and an open invitation to hang themselves, and therefore the club by association?

Edited by danoafc

I don't think City as a club,or their fans' organisations, could have done more to prevent any idiots in their midst from breaking the minute's silence. The club is talking about banning any culprits they discover the identities of for life now.

Personally, I'd be very surprised now if anybody fails to respect the silence at Old Trafford.

Very true. As a City fan said on 5 Live this morning, "the Editors have already written the story and thousands of cameras and microphones will be trained on the City fans". Sadly, I think he is right and there will be one or two idiots there just wanting to cause outrage. It would be great to be proved wrong.

Back to the original debate, football is an entertainment business and for that reason, I like the minutes' applause. Munich is a far wider issue and affected more than footballers and their families so in this instance, I believe a minutes' silence is more appropriate.

Clearly, there is no wrong or right answer.

Am I the only one cynical enough to thing that despite City's requests for a minute of applause, United have insisted on a minutes silence primarily with the 'respect' thing in mind but in full knowledge that they are giving those City fans the rope and an open invitation to hang themselves, and therefore the club by association?

No :peepwall:

I still cannot believe the thing you told me regarding 9/11 the other week either Dan :shock:

I think you are confusing United with a Club that give a crap about Man City.

Arsenal maybe, Liverpool definitely but City? They are irrelevant in their scheme of things and have been for years.

We are having a minutes applause on Saturday to celebrate the life of one of our own and I like the fact we are celebrating his life rather than mourning his passing. In some ways the club is fortunate as I believe we would have been having a minutes silence for Munich otherwise and you can guarantee at Oldham it would have been spoiled (we sing Munich songs too). It seems silly that the Beeb muted the crowd noise during the minutes silence yesterday only to mention it in their report (i watched the game in a pub without the sound so i didn't notice it at the time). Like the majority of people on here i'm only old enough to remember Munich as an anniversary but I can vaguely recall Hillsbrough as it happened (i was busy watching Latics and didn't understand what was going on elsewhere until I got home). I do think its very hippocritical for Man Utd to go on about the lack of respect for Munich when they sing songs about Hillsbrough (and although its never come up I'm sure they've spoiled a minutes silence for it before and will no doubt do it again). Respect is something you earn and although the people who lost their lives have earned theirs i'm not sure Man Utd has.

Plus I'm sorry and this is going to offend people but it was a plane crash in bad weather which killed 27 people worse has happened before and will happen again if it was any other plane we wouldn't be talking about it. AIDS kills more people around the world every hour of every day but did we have a minutes silence on December 1st (world AIDS day) did we :censored:. I'm not even sure we had a minutes silence on September 11th 2001 (but I will stand corrected if we did).

Plus I'm sorry and this is going to offend people but it was a plane crash in bad weather which killed 27 people worse has happened before and will happen again if it was any other plane we wouldn't be talking about it. AIDS kills more people around the world every hour of every day but did we have a minutes silence on December 1st (world AIDS day) did we :censored:. I'm not even sure we had a minutes silence on September 11th 2001 (but I will stand corrected if we did).

Whoa there. The Munich tragedy is a focal point in Man Utd's history and the 50th Anniversary was a massive thing. Everything they did was for the Club, by the Club just as they do every year on 6 February.

As far as I'm aware, they haven't asked for silences around the Country or at the England game last night. The fact that this game was played on the Anniversary of when England players were killed or involved in the tragedy is why the FA considered their own tribute as important and respectful?

Is the Munich silence at all grounds or just OT?

It should be at OT, but there is no reason for it to be anywhere else.

We have no connection with this other than that our team kick a ball. It was a long time ago and is part of another clubs history. Let them mourn, but no-one else should really be asked or feel the need to.

Mr Medic, I believe it's something like five a minute dying of AIDS.

Is the Munich silence at all grounds or just OT?

It should be at OT, but there is no reason for it to be anywhere else.

We have no connection with this other than that our team kick a ball. It was a long time ago and is part of another clubs history. Let them mourn, but no-one else should really be asked or feel the need to.

Mr Medic, I believe it's something like five a minute dying of AIDS.

That just emphasises my point I was fairly certain the death rate was worse than what i said but i wasn't sure it was as bad as a Munich disaster every minute so i used every hour instead.

Was I the only one who as a result of all yesterday and its events found out that Torino too had been involved in an air crash that killed all their players on board. :blush:

Reading up on it today, they were top of the league at the time with a few games to go. They continued to play and fielded their reserve side. Basically all they had left. The teams they were playing also fielded their reserve sides too in the spirit of fairness and in respect and they won the league.

I still have no idea why I have never heard of this before.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

That just emphasises my point I was fairly certain the death rate was worse than what i said but i wasn't sure it was as bad as a Munich disaster every minute so i used every hour instead.

Putting it more aptly is it is more than two and a half twin towers A DAY. Easily the most ignored problem in the World, but it is largely in Africa so who cares?

Someone tell a joke I'm getting morose.

I think you are confusing United with a Club that give a crap about Man City.

Arsenal maybe, Liverpool definitely but City? They are irrelevant in their scheme of things and have been for years.

If you truly think that City are irrelevant to United, you've been living out of the area for too long IC. Particularly where the fans are concerned.