Crowd safety

I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned this but it appears that we have some new 'safety' people/stewards at Boundary Park. One of them, who bore more than a passing resemblance to Hitler, was going along the back of the chaddy telling people to sit on their seats. Now I'm 6'5" and I have a 37" inside leg and I find it impossible to sit for 90 minutes, given the lack of gap to the seat in front. For that reason, my season ticket is on the back row of the chaddy and I always ask for a back row seat when buying tickets for an away game. This means that if I sit on the top of the seat, then I'm not blocking anyone's view. The only ground where I have experienced problems is Bradford City, where the steward told me I would have to sit on the seat or leave.

So, this guy was telling everybody to sit down and at first I tried to sit in my seat. I was very soon uncomfortable so returned to sitting on the top of the seat. He came back and told me to sit on the seat again. I tried to explain the problem and he walked off mumbling to himself. Just after half-time he was back and he had a big lad with him. I thought "here we go". Anyway, he had been to see the head steward (at first I thought he said Ed Stewart,, which caused some confusion) and he had said that it was ok for me to sit on the top of the seat. In fairness he did apologise and I'm hoping that's the end of it. We'll see.

I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned this but it appears that we have some new 'safety' people/stewards at Boundary Park. One of them, who bore more than a passing resemblance to Hitler, was going along the back of the chaddy telling people to sit on their seats. Now I'm 6'5" and I have a 37" inside leg and I find it impossible to sit for 90 minutes, given the lack of gap to the seat in front. For that reason, my season ticket is on the back row of the chaddy and I always ask for a back row seat when buying tickets for an away game. This means that if I sit on the top of the seat, then I'm not blocking anyone's view. The only ground where I have experienced problems is Bradford City, where the steward told me I would have to sit on the seat or leave.

So, this guy was telling everybody to sit down and at first I tried to sit in my seat. I was very soon uncomfortable so returned to sitting on the top of the seat. He came back and told me to sit on the seat again. I tried to explain the problem and he walked off mumbling to himself. Just after half-time he was back and he had a big lad with him. I thought "here we go". Anyway, he had been to see the head steward (at first I thought he said Ed Stewart,, which caused some confusion) and he had said that it was ok for me to sit on the top of the seat. In fairness he did apologise and I'm hoping that's the end of it. We'll see.

Are they the people who wear the purple and illuminess jackets?

That's them.

Yeah, I think they draft them in because i've heard we already have a shortage for stewards as it is.

But i agree some of them need to show a bit more common sense. If anything they should be appreciative to you that you have sat on the back row rather than asking to sit down. Nothing wrong in my eyes on the back row standing.

It was pointed out to me yesterday by Latics and England that the only people who did not observe the minute's applause in memory of Fred Ogden were the stewards. :mad:

I saw the stewards observing it at least the ones in the RRE, NSM Upper and Mainstand Paddock did

I saw the stewards observing it at least the ones in the RRE, NSM Upper and Mainstand Paddock did

It was the three stewards stood in the corner between the Chaddy and main stand that I noticed, stood there having a chat completely oblivious to what was going on.

Each to their own but personally I thought it was a bit of a poor show.

Guest sheridans_world
Eve the dibble in the NSM paddock were applauding. Probably clapping the overtime they get for making sure the "Paddock Army" sit down like good little opera fans. Easy money.

Not too sure they get overtime for it...

Guest sheridans_world
Yeah its usually just a set payment per event.

We pay the police to provide cover.

The policemen themselves dont get overtime, they are on basic time.

Not too sure they get overtime for it...

Football duties are extra to normal duties and as such they cannot effect the manning of routine police duties, all officers on duty for football games are brought in from Rest Days/Days off etc and paid overtime rate of time and half.

The one exception to this is the TSG/TAS officers who are on duty anyway and have nothing better to do.

Edited by AMO

Yep, that is true, they do football games as overtime.

Speaking of coppers at Latics..........

Anyone ever seen the female one with blonde hair who is VERY good looking :shock: , i think she usually hangs around the police box?...........

I was added as a friend to someone who used to live nextdoor to me from the age of 6 until i was 14, she was a couple of years younger than me.......Turns out it is her :grin: . Oh, happy days, if thats not an excuse to run riot near the away fans without fear of being linched then i dont know what is. :wink:

Yep, that is true, they do football games as overtime.

Speaking of coppers at Latics..........

Anyone ever seen the female one with blonde hair who is VERY good looking :shock: , i think she usually hangs around the police box?...........

I was added as a friend to someone who used to live nextdoor to me from the age of 6 until i was 14, she was a couple of years younger than me.......Turns out it is her :grin: . Oh, happy days, if thats not an excuse to run riot near the away fans without fear of being linched then i dont know what is. :wink:

Surely you mean you want to run riot near this police box? :wink: