Less than 4,700 home fans today!

When we only had 4,700 fans at the game against Gillingham, I posted the following.

Today, after a convincing second-half home performance against Gillingham and being unlucky not to come away from Brizzle with a point, the stage was set for a decent crowd. The sun was shining, and although it was cold, there was no wind and it was a lovely day if you were well wrapped up. So it was even more disappointing that we had fewer home fans than against Gillingham. :disappointed:

I said when we got beat by Hudds in a sell out match that we had shot ourselves in the foot big style. It wasn't a big team it was Hudds who we have played twice a season for quite a few years. 4th round of the FA cup or not, it was still an impressive attendance. But what did the paying punter get, no heart no passion, nothing that we saw at Everton. For me it doesn't matter how well we have played against Carlisle, Gills and today, the damage had been done against Huddersfield and unless we end up getting in the playoffs, I can't see us getting much more for the rest of the season.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could we not just say i big well done to the 4700 who turned up today to support there team.

and that maybe if we can carry on this kind of form we may get the missing fans back intime for the playoffs.

:OASISscarf: A great performances at home makes the journey home much better (been home 15mins). I took the Gills game off as I needed to take a break from all this ball breaking traveling I do. I know at leat 6 people who didn't make today for one reason or another and several more mentioned they were not there on the forum. This happens from time to time ..... especially looking at the league position at prsent

Finally in recent matches the team have been showing the form that regular away travellers have been seening. Probally 80% of the home regulars don't have the opportunity to go to many aways matches and I can understand why there as been plenty of frustration at BP as they haven't had many wins to sing about. It was nice to see smiles all round today after the game

6 points of the play-offs with at least one game in hand on all above ... I'll take that with Gregan, Lidds and Hughes (our three senior players) to come back.

:OASISscarf: A great performances at home makes the journey home much better (been home 15mins). I took the Gills game off as I needed to take a break from all this ball breaking traveling I do. I know at leat 6 people who didn't make today for one reason or another and several more mentioned they were not there on the forum. This happens from time to time ..... especially looking at the league position at prsent

Finally in recent matches the team have been showing the form that regular away travellers have been seening. Probally 80% of the home regulars don't have the opportunity to go to many aways matches and I can understand why there as been plenty of frustration at BP as they haven't had many wins to sing about. It was nice to see smiles all round today after the game

6 points of the play-offs with at least one game in hand on all above ... I'll take that with Gregan, Lidds and Hughes (our three senior players) to come back.

At last, someone talking some fecking sense. It's tough being a poster on this 'ere message board when you're not all happy-clappy, "we're gonna win the Champions League".

Edited by tactically_naive

When we only had 4,700 fans at the game against Gillingham, I posted the following.

Today, after a convincing second-half home performance against Gillingham and being unlucky not to come away from Brizzle with a point, the stage was set for a decent crowd. The sun was shining, and although it was cold, there was no wind and it was a lovely day if you were well wrapped up. So it was even more disappointing that we had fewer home fans than against Gillingham. :disappointed:

and being unlucky not to come away from Brizzle with a point,

You obviously didn't go, we got mullered in the last 15 mins and were lucky not to get beat by three!!!!

... still think we'll go up!!! Only Swansea are the genuin better team than us in this league.

Think Gas was one of two away games this year we just never got really going..... but I understand what Diego meant about being lucky not to get a point, they did score in the last minute. I think he as only missed Leeeds away this year (broken car) if that answers your question.

Deal with we are not getting the crowds that some of you expect. We are losing the fans but at least we have 4000+ fans that come to every home league game and many part time fans (meaning fans that can't afford every game) its just the same everywhere in the league.

Deal with we are not getting the crowds that some of you expect. We are losing the fans but at least we have 4000+ fans that come to every home league game and many part time fans (meaning fans that can't afford every game) its just the same everywhere in the league.

It's easy for me to deal with not getting the crowds I expect - I don't have to meet the weekly loses out of my bank account. However, that won't stop me commenting on poor attendances.

I know there are many who would love to go to BP and away games, but their current circumstances prohibit that. That's life - we all go through phases where other demands are more important than watching Latics.

On the other hand there are many who can afford to attend and have the time to do so, but just can't be arsed unless it's a big game - home or away. I hoped that some of those who hadn't got a trip to Chelsea yesterday, on which to spend their money and time, would have gone to BP to cheer the lads who did them proud at Everton, and to see the return of the Warne. My hopes were in vain, because those same lads let them down against 'Uddersfield and therefore the Club must now be punished.

At this rate those in the latter category will have saved enough in readiness for a weekend at Wembley if we make the play-off final. The dire 'Uddersfield performance will be put to one side at that stage, but resurrected whenever appropriate. TTA will welcome them with open arms so why should it bother me? Because I think TTA deserve better than that.

By keep pointing out lower and lower crowds, it's my way of dealing with something that isn't really my problem.........so long as we have someone willing to pick up the tab. If one day there is nobody willing to do that, then at least I'll know that I didn't deal with it by keeping silent.

It's easy for me to deal with not getting the crowds I expect - I don't have to meet the weekly loses out of my bank account. However, that won't stop me commenting on poor attendances.

I know there are many who would love to go to BP and away games, but their current circumstances prohibit that. That's life - we all go through phases where other demands are more important than watching Latics.

On the other hand there are many who can afford to attend and have the time to do so, but just can't be arsed unless it's a big game - home or away. I hoped that some of those who hadn't got a trip to Chelsea yesterday, on which to spend their money and time, would have gone to BP to cheer the lads who did them proud at Everton, and to see the return of the Warne. My hopes were in vain, because those same lads let them down against 'Uddersfield and therefore the Club must now be punished.

At this rate those in the latter category will have saved enough in readiness for a weekend at Wembley if we make the play-off final. The dire 'Uddersfield performance will be put to one side at that stage, but resurrected whenever appropriate. TTA will welcome them with open arms so why should it bother me? Because I think TTA deserve better than that.

By keep pointing out lower and lower crowds, it's my way of dealing with something that isn't really my problem.........so long as we have someone willing to pick up the tab. If one day there is nobody willing to do that, then at least I'll know that I didn't deal with it by keeping silent.

I admire your support to the TTA, very noble. However people keep going on about it is not going to change it.

you do have a very valid point,and always construct your arguments for and against very well,and structured.

i myself havent been to as many games as i would like to this season,mainly as i got sacked in october,and going from almost 400 pound a week to 59 a week doesnt really allow for luxuries like football matches.

at the end of the day thats what it is these days,a luxury.

and yes your defence and worrying for the tta is valiant,and you must do what you have to to as you put it,deal with that,but ultimately at the end of the day they are buisnessmen,and have put a lot of time and effort into what they have done,and will walk away from this club eventually with there money back,and maybe even a few extra quid.

i doubt for one moment that they have the same concerns about you and other fans as you do of them.

nobody in there right mind would pump upward of 18 million pounds of there own money into something that was just a black hole of expenditure,they will get it back.

the huddersfield game is a genuine reason why people wont come,it was a bad performance,they paid there money and now there taking there choice.

of course if we got to a wembly final in the playoffs,the town would be out in force,as they would probably make a weekend of it and take the wife etc and go to a show or sightseeing.

you know as well as i do,until the stadium is developed,and were sat midtable in the championship with what people percieve as quality players,our attendances will be lucky to breach 6.5k

....you know as well as i do,until the stadium is developed,and were sat midtable in the championship with what people percieve as quality players,our attendances will be lucky to breach 6.5k

What I don't appear to know as well as you do, if indeed you do know, is how we become a mid-table Championship team, with what people perceive as quality players, on attendances of less than 6.5k. Please enlighten me so that I can stop worrying about low attendances and owners who are willing to cover losses, but not daft enough to throw money at problems, as the previous owner did.

Guest sheridans_world

Crowds are always going to be a problem. It looks like this season is petering out into nothingness, then we go and get a few wins at home strung together. It's a shame we have three home games on three tuesday nights in a row because if we get a decent run together, beat Brighton on Saturday then do the same next Tuesday, we have the chance of attracting people back for the Tranmere game and the Millwall game.

If we are in with a shout of the playoffs, we make up at least 4 out of those 6 points then i imagine we will breach the 6k barrier easily.

After October last season we only had three attendances less than 6k (for league games). They were Bournemouth, Cheltenham and Crewe (on a Tuesday night).

Wait! I hear you cry, 'these are all long distance(except Crewe) and wont have brought too many fans'. True, I say but the rest of the crowds still broke 6k (which is what we are aiming for) It means we had around 5500/5600 average. So only dropping 900, rather than 2000 (as some would like it to appear)

But also look at last season, now October and before.

Port Vale 4,975

Swansea City 4,708

Carlisle 6,080

Scunthorpe 4,812

Gillingham 4,652

Rotherham 4,880

Leyton Orient 5,014

Brentford 4,708

One game above 5k. It shows how fickle our fans our, however, when a run is put together, they will come to watch.

Its not a sudden drop in the number of fans, people are just jumping on the Huddersfield loss bandwagon here and blaming the low crowds on that when the figures actually say different.

One would hope that a win on Saturday, a win next Tuesday and a win (eesh) at Port Vale would bring some fans back for the Tranmere game (if not the Tuesday night before that).

Dont think 4700 is too bad for us considering there wasnt gonna be a lot of away fans. I am realistic and know roughly how many we are gonna get - only a real chance of a bit of glory eg cups/play-offs are gonna get more bums on seats. Remember, third tier of English football, average crowd of about 16000 in the Premier League - reality check!

I totally agree with the sentiment of what you say but the point is the people that you refer to just don't have the commitment that some do. They are casual fans; they only have a desire to turn out for the big occassion, the important thing is that when they choose to do so it is at BP and not with our 'friends' down the road.

I know it's a self perpetuating thing but if they club start to progress forward, and I mean in terms of league position rather than the sound(er) financial footing we are on, these people WILL start to come back on a more regular basis. At the start of the 91-92 season we had close on 11,000 season ticket holders; if you go back only a few seasons before this we were getting similar crowds to those which we get now. There is a level of support in the town if the standard of football is there.

I guess the crunch will come with the new stadium, this is our big chance to get some interest back in the club. It seems to have worked even for Shrewsbury (although the wheels have come off a bit now) who have a better home league attendance average than us!

To be honest I fear the worst for the next home game attendance , Swindon Town which will be on a cold Tuesday evening.

That won't be too bad as it's the first of a 3 game home run. The last, a week later at home to Bournemouth is bound to be lower.

Unless we win all our games and suddenly find ourselves thrust into the play-off zone?

What I don't appear to know as well as you do, if indeed you do know, is how we become a mid-table Championship team, with what people perceive as quality players, on attendances of less than 6.5k. Please enlighten me so that I can stop worrying about low attendances and owners who are willing to cover losses, but not daft enough to throw money at problems, as the previous owner did.

maybe if you stopped sounding so smug and pias people would take up your cause more valiantly and back you more.

i dont know more or less than any other fan or supporter,i dont know the inner workings of the club and its financial structure and profit and loss sheets.

i do know you will never please all the armchair supporters unless your playing top teams.

quality players are out there at the end of every season,these days with the transfer system blown away a lot more players move on free transfers or go on pay as you play deals.

the owners of our club were ready to sanction a budget busting move for kilkenny and also give shez 200k for leon clarke,how can a club which is on its arse with attendances of 4700 manage that??? if were losing money why blow a whole lot more on 2 players.

the answer is because they want the club to succeed,and was probably working on the theory that these two players could of given us the boost we needed to get into the playoffs,where if ya manage to get into the final you go to wembly for a payday,then go up.where you get more money from the leage and more than likely attract 1500 extra fans on the strengh of it.

which would take you to 6.2k fans plus...the away support,clubs in the championship normally have larger fan base,so suppose your playing a team like preston blackpool burnly all local the attendance would finally hit the magic 8k mark,which is what the owners have always said is the break even figure.

the club to many intents and purposes are still in the dark ages regarding marketing and pricing strategys,and until you drop the £20 pay on the day price you wont get them back.

From a personal point of view I'd rather give the home matches a miss and save my money for days out, such as Vale in a few weeks.

I'm impressed at Bradford's attendances. 13 K to watch that them play mid-table 4th divison football, fair play to them.

Guest sheridans_world

maybe if you stopped sounding so smug and pias people would take up your cause more valiantly and back you more.

Watch it Ed. No Personal Attacks Remember.

i dont know more or less than any other fan or supporter,i dont know the inner workings of the club and its financial structure and profit and loss sheets.

Not many people do, but you can find out alot very easily. The trust directors are a good contact point, Barry Owen will always answer questions. Whatever your thoughts of him.

i do know you will never please all the armchair supporters unless your playing top teams.

Not true, you can never please everyone, even playing in the champions league final and how does pleasing airchair fans improve our attendances?

quality players are out there at the end of every season,these days with the transfer system blown away a lot more players move on free transfers or go on pay as you play deals.

Shez now has a warchest of cash, not spent alot since he came in, i imagine he has somewhere north of £500k to spend this summer.

the owners of our club were ready to sanction a budget busting move for kilkenny and also give shez 200k for leon clarke,how can a club which is on its arse with attendances of 4700 manage that??? if were losing money why blow a whole lot more on 2 players.

We automatically improve attendances just by going up a divison, Sheffield Weds and United, Burnley, Preston, Stoke, Wolves. All these teams have decent away followings and are not that far away. Plus extra TV cash, going up a division is a priority. We already know the club are loosing money every week.

the answer is because they want the club to succeed,and was probably working on the theory that these two players could of given us the boost we needed to get into the playoffs,where if ya manage to get into the final you go to wembly for a payday,then go up.where you get more money from the leage and more than likely attract 1500 extra fans on the strengh of it.

1500 on our home supporters? 1500 on away fans visiting BP, more likley.

which would take you to 6.2k fans plus...the away support,clubs in the championship normally have larger fan base,so suppose your playing a team like preston blackpool burnly all local the attendance would finally hit the magic 8k mark,which is what the owners have always said is the break even figure.

See above.

the club to many intents and purposes are still in the dark ages regarding marketing and pricing strategys,and until you drop the £20 pay on the day price you wont get them back.

Wrong, the club want to be a championship club. Brighton are charging £22.50 remeber, Leeds was £25 i think? Clubs charge more money to be able to pay for better players. You wont find many (if any) clubs in the championship charging less than £20 a game.

Wrong, the club want to be a championship club. Brighton are charging £22.50 remeber, Leeds was £25 i think? Clubs charge more money to be able to pay for better players. You wont find many (if any) clubs in the championship charging less than £20 a game.

Yes but the point I think Ed is making is mainly about pricing structure. Why not try something like £15 Adults and £5 for kids at home games against the likes of Yeovil, Gillingham and Bournemeouth etc. or when we have 2 home games in a week. And then £20 - 25 for Adults and £10 -15 for kids against Leeds and Forest and this likes. This is what Leeds have done this season, they have catagory A,B & C matches depending on the oppostition.

If an armchair fan thinks he/she can get in to BP with a child for £20 you never know they might just get out of that armchair!

Edited by ghostofcecere

From a personal point of view I'd rather give the home matches a miss and save my money for days out, such as Vale in a few weeks.

I'm impressed at Bradford's attendances. 13 K to watch that them play mid-table 4th divison football, fair play to them.

THATS BECAUSE THEY ARE CHARING £5 PER GAME IF YOU BOUGHT A SEASON TICKET

Guest sheridans_world
bradford season tickets were really low, something like £100, the theory being that 10000 at £100 plus programmes etcetera is better than 4000 at £350.

Bradford have done really well with their season tickets. Its brilliant, they make the cash that 4000 would bring in and also make money on programmes/shirts/pies/beer etc.

I think Stoke ran a scheme as well, something like 'pledge £450 and we'll give you some back depending on how many buy'.

Good initiatives, will bring a lot of cash in. We wont do it until we have two/three new stands now though.

Watch it Ed. No Personal Attacks Remember.

Not many people do, but you can find out alot very easily. The trust directors are a good contact point, Barry Owen will always answer questions. Whatever your thoughts of him.

Not true, you can never please everyone, even playing in the champions league final and how does pleasing airchair fans improve our attendances?

Shez now has a warchest of cash, not spent alot since he came in, i imagine he has somewhere north of £500k to spend this summer.

We automatically improve attendances just by going up a divison, Sheffield Weds and United, Burnley, Preston, Stoke, Wolves. All these teams have decent away followings and are not that far away. Plus extra TV cash, going up a division is a priority. We already know the club are loosing money every week.

1500 on our home supporters? 1500 on away fans visiting BP, more likley.

See above.

soory,sometimes i say what im thinking before thinking what im saying,gets me in trouble most of the time.

of course the club wants to be in the championship,thats the first goal,but at the moment were not in the championship,so championship prices dont apply.

like i said if we get there,with a lot of hard work n effort we will see people come back,my figure of 1500 was home supporters coming back,meaning our home attendance would rise to 6.5k,and obviously like i and yourself pointed out,any away following on top of that would take us past the break even figure of 8k.

pleasing armchair fans,if they see that our results are improving and the team is moving up the table they will want to see for themself what is happening,and will come back to watch the odd game or 3,at present there isnt any incentive to come to bp other than to support your team.

for me to take myself n my lad it would cost me over £30 a home game.you get 2 sometimes 3 home games in a week people havent got that kind of cash to throw about.

if you introduce something where by come twice get the 3rd visit half price n kid for a quid people might be tempted.

you see in our own local papers man united and man city always advertising something to do with there next games and offers,but you never see anything to do with latics.

the club does have its it learning centre and other things happening,but it doesnt really advertise itself enough to get the public thinking something is going on.

maybe once the new stadium is done those things can be thrown into the mix,but until then there are a lot of oppertunitys being missed

Guest sheridans_world

Fair points.

maybe once the new stadium is done those things can be thrown into the mix,but until then there are a lot of oppertunitys being missed

New Stadium now, for the next 30 odd years or short-term revenue?