Don't get too disheartened, playoffs are still on!

Yeh I know but lets hang onto the dream for now. If we could just get a decent run and with Hughsie, greegs and lids all back we could just be the team that takes the form into the play offs. With the run of fixtures coming up, I feel that in 5 games time we will be higher up the league than we are now. How much higher we will have to see.

not wanting to sound disrespectfull or anything,but greegan and lidds havent played for months,so they will be nowhere near match fitness,so hardly the knights in shining armour we need now.

hughes is at least ten days away,and again hasnt played for a bit so shez himself said he is nowhere near match fit,add to that the possibility that davies could in the worst be out for 4 weeks and where do you see us getting these wins from.

we have a good few young hungry players coming through,but shez himself has admitted they looked tired and we lack a cutting edge upfront.

i will be still hoping were in the playoffs come may,however i just cant see it at the moment.

not wanting to sound disrespectfull or anything,but greegan and lidds havent played for months,so they will be nowhere near match fitness,so hardly the knights in shining armour we need now.

hughes is at least ten days away,and again hasnt played for a bit so shez himself said he is nowhere near match fit,add to that the possibility that davies could in the worst be out for 4 weeks and where do you see us getting these wins from.

we have a good few young hungry players coming through,but shez himself has admitted they looked tired and we lack a cutting edge upfront.

i will be still hoping were in the playoffs come may,however i just cant see it at the moment.

I agree that the shortage of fire power up front is worrying and we don't have the players who will score enough from other areas of the pitch. Fortunately, our defence is good and if we could just get through the next few weeks until hughes is match fit we could still be in with a chance. However, in todays current climate with people moving on when out of contract, I am a great believer that you have two years in which to get a team together which can gell before its back to the drawing board. We're in the first year of our transition and thats why it took us until december or january before we started to get some consistancy. If we don't make it this year and lets face it is unlikely, come next August with a fit Lee Hughes (that guys a 25 goal a saeson man in this division) and the experience gained this year by some of our younger players and with Shez strengthening the squad in the summer with the money from the cup run, we should be a strong force next season.

Is there any news on Davies?

Talk about jumping the gun, it's one defeat, in the greater scope of things this was the second hardest match we had remaining.

Aint nothing over til it's over.

yeh, but its one defeat every two games nowadays and that aint good enough. mid-table finish now for me.

Play offs?

You're joking, right?

Come on, we just aint good enough. Our squad is the thinnest it's been for a long time. Look at our regular bench of late...Wolfy, Smalley, Black, Lomax and Bell. Now Smalley wil be thrown in due to Davies being out so add another young un to the subs.

God forbid an injury to Crossley. Or Stam or Ruben. We're even down to the bare bones in our 'strongest' top-heavy area of centre mid.

Nope, not having it, play offs are a pipe dream. Mid table mediocrity.

E4e

DEPTH

Nope, not having it, play offs are a pipe dream. Mid table mediocrity.

If some players were 'tired' and showed little desire at Brighton I would want to know why, anyone would think they were part time non leaguers working a full week and also on the morning of the match.

I am tired - tired of when players don't put a full shift in.

Anyone think that Shefki Kuqi could be what we looking for on loan, strong powerful striker who knows where the goal is.

Just been transfer listed by Crystal Palace, I know he's probably be on a few quid but worth an enquiry? <_<

Kuqi would be fantastic... but have a feeling there will be a queue of lower champ clubs looking at him.... He will be on a fair wedge, but it really is time to gamble, even a months loan to put him in the shop window would be good for both us and him.... he can stay fit, and Hughes and davies would be back by then....

At the moment I'm not looking to the playoffs... we just need reinfrcements now... a months loan would do just fine, then Davies, Hughes and possibly even (god-forbid :wink: ) Lids would be back... i'm not going to get precious about someone coming in temporarily, as long as they are another experienced body we can put next to the kids... we really need to stop thinking about the playoffs, and just get through the next month....

... and Kiqi's nationality would make me (an my mum!) very happy! :wink:

Anyone think that Shefki Kuqi could be what we looking for on loan, strong powerful striker who knows where the goal is.

Just been transfer listed by Crystal Palace, I know he's probably be on a few quid but worth an enquiry? <_<

No. I don't rate him.

No....... Strikers left

No....... Experience on the bench

No....... Movement in the loan transfer market

No....... TV/Cup run money spent

No....... replacement for Pogs

No....... Replacement for Ricketts

No....... Way will we see Taylor on the right wing

No....... Chance of the play-offs

SEMTRRWC - dont get it?

Extracted from Michael Yarwood's match report in tonight's rarely wrong Chron:

"EVERYBODY knows it’s a bad idea to go to the supermarket when you haven’t eaten for ages.

You end up buying loads of things which seem a good idea at the time but which also, in the cold light of day (or the warm glow of a bacon butty after you get home), are destined to fester in a cupboard before being chucked in the bin or composter, depending on your relationship with the planet.

Likewise, for anyone hoping to see Athletic sprint into the end-of-season play-offs, going to Brighton on Saturday was not advisable.

They looked a long way short of top-six material as the gulf between home and away results widened again.

....... 221 Latics fans had little to cheer them after spending £22.50 to sit in an open stand literally 40 yards from the pitch — a disgraceful rip-off, by the way."

£22.50 is a disgraceful rip off on the face of it, but it's probably the only way the club has survived so long, so I don't really begrudge it (much).

There's lots of reasons for a performance and result like that, but I think a big factor is that we have a total lack of threat from set pieces. Wherever you are in the league, you NEED goals from set pieces, particularly away from home when the other side is likely to have most of the ball.