question....?

Latics is a short form of the suffix or corruption of the word Athletic. :titanic: Originally used by US at the beginning of the last century. It was later adopted (stolen) by Wigan in the 1970s with the word plastic preceeding it!!!!

Latics is a short form of the suffix Athletic. :titanic: The name was originally used by Oldham Athletic at the start of the twentieth century. It was later adopted (stolen) by Wigan in the 1970s with the word plastic preceeding it!!!!

yep that is what I thought but just wanted to double check :blush: This girl ask me so I thought I would just make sure and you never know... :wink:

I always thought that it was because, back in 1895, education in the town was so poor that lot of people could not pronounce the word 'Athletic'. Hence the nickname 'Latics'.

What the :censored: Wigan's excuse is I don't know.

Edited by Guernica

I always thought that it was because, back in 1895, education in the town was so poor that lot of epople could not pronounce the word 'Athletic'. Hence the nickname 'Latics'.

Thats how I understand how the name came about. Wigan are ***** and a set of scab :censored:.

Latics is a short form of the suffix or corruption of the word Athletic. :titanic: Originally used by US at the beginning of the last century. It was later adopted (stolen) by Wigan in the 1970s with the word plastic preceeding it!!!!

Cockney version = Addicks

Guest oa_exile
I always thought that it was because, back in 1895, education in the town was so poor that lot of epople could not pronounce the word 'Athletic'. Hence the nickname 'Latics'.

In 1895 were the people of Oldham called "epople's" ? you learn something everyday :lol:

I reckon though that the "epople" could not pronounce "Pine Villa" so changed it to "Oldham Athletic" , still had problems pronouncing it so they said " :censored: it" let's just go with "Latics" and keep it simple for the epople :grin:

I'm here all week

:getmecoat:

That was confusing, I was sitting in front of my screen thinking, 'Why did the US use the name 'Latics'? Time for bed, methinks.

That was confusing, I was sitting in front of my screen thinking, 'Why did the US use the name 'Latics'? Time for bed, methinks.

:sleeping:

"Roughyed" is also a nickname from the 18th century something to do with felt (the rough kind to be correct) used to make hats in Oldham :shock:

Haha - I was thinking the same, oh dear - and I've only been up a couple of hours so no excuses...! :ohno:

Cockney version = Addicks

im pretty sure that charltons nickname of addicks comes from an owner they had way back in the day who was a fishmonger or something of the sort. He gave staff haddocks as bonuses and in the south london accent that they all have around there haddocks was pronounced 'addicks' and this became the nickname.

I'm pretty confident of this but could well be proved wrong, take your best shot!

:sleeping:

"Roughyed" is also a nickname from the 18th century something to do with felt (the rough kind to be correct) used to make hats in Oldham :shock:

You only know that because I told you the other week, egg-chaser-boy :mad: Apparently Roughhead was a general term for Oldhamers, both because of their tendency for being stroppy violent types and because felt hat-making was the towns main industry before cotton.

im pretty sure that charltons nickname of addicks comes from an owner they had way back in the day who was a fishmonger or something of the sort. He gave staff haddocks as bonuses and in the south london accent that they all have around there haddocks was pronounced 'addicks' and this became the nickname.

I'm pretty confident of this but could well be proved wrong, take your best shot!

I've heard that one, but I thought it was an urban myth?