Fans fixture

I see they have started the bidding again to get in on the action at B.P against a staff team, just wondering if anyone has played in one of these games before, and what was the required standard of fitness?

I know that there were at least four OWTBs player in it last time (Eastley, Davegtt, Chaddy (for the staff) and Edinburgh Latic) and they are all good players. Granted the more modern approach to training and lifestyle management they have had since joining OWTBs and the visionary decision to convert Eastley from GK to CB has improved them considerably since then but the raw material was there.

Yep, ive played in it. I was playing for the clubs team last year, as for me playing in it this year..........You will have to wait and see.

To sum up the fitness needed.............

Last year on the way back in at half time some young lad who had been marking Tommy Wright said to him "Hey Tommy, your pouring in sweat" and started laughing. Tommy replied "Yep, you would be sweating too if you managed to keep up with me or get anywhere near me" :grin:

Be warned, it is all made to look like as a bit of fun leading up to the game, but once we all get in the changing room before the game starts that all changes VERY quickly. Simon Corney and Shez will not stand for anyone not putting in 100%. And even when you try your best you still get shouted at......As i found out :disappointed:

Yep, ive played in it. I was playing for the clubs team last year, as for me playing in it this year..........You will have to wait and see.

To sum up the fitness needed.............

Last year on the way back in at half time some young lad who had been marking Tommy Wright said to him "Hey Tommy, your pouring in sweat" and started laughing. Tommy replied "Yep, you would be sweating too if you managed to keep up with me or get anywhere near me" :grin:

Be warned, it is all made to look like as a bit of fun leading up to the game, but once we all get in the changing room before the game starts that all changes VERY quickly. Simon Corney and Shez will not stand for anyone not putting in 100%. And even when you try your best you still get shouted at......As i found out :disappointed:

Yes i played last year and marked Chaddy out of the game hence why he got so many rollickings ;) no really in all seriousness, it was a good laugh but taken pretty seriously as you could of seen with some of the challenges.

Wayne, the lad your talkin about with regards to Tommy was Dave lol, couldn't stop laughin all the way to the changin rooms.

You didnt do the best job of marking me did you :grin: i managed to get about 5 shots at goal. If it wasnt for Rob saving everything i threw at him i would have scored a few.

Very interesting lately to see all the comments on here about Shez being dismissive of his players ability. I was obviously trying my best, but on the one hand i had Shez screaming his balls off at me at every oppertunity, but on the other i had Tony P, and Tommy telling me i was doing very well and to keep it going. No wonder some players feel like cracking him one sometimes :lol:

Im really looking foward to this game, just don tknow which team im going to be on yet.

Make a habit of that, dontcha! <_<

:D

To be fair we didn't have the best team did we? lol. We put up a good fight first half then went to pieces second half. I'm trying my best to get the funds together and hopefully i'll be able to look forward to it again.

I think you all did extremely well. Some might say that you were playing against players who were past it (No not me you cheeky git <_< ) but just playing in that team was unreal, it was like playing with mind readers, they knew exactly what i was abou tto do and was there waiting for the ball. And Shez's passing is something else, and he was playing on a knee that he had just had an operation on.

It could have gone anyway in the first half, but i think the fitness showed in the second half.

Make a habit of that, dontcha! <_<

:D

Ooh, whats this that my crystal ball is saying..............There is a falling out on the horizon :mad:

Lets have a look at my choices..........Playing in a team with my hero's and doing it for nothing. Or paying at least £250 and getting earache off the missus for using money from the savings account to "Play a game of football" with some lads i could play a game with anytime?

Ooohhhhh.........Tough call :grin:

Edited by chaddy the owl

I think you all did extremely well. Some might say that you were playing against players who were past it (No not me you cheeky git <_< ) but just playing in that team was unreal, it was like playing with mind readers, they knew exactly what i was abou tto do and was there waiting for the ball. And Shez's passing is something else, and he was playing on a knee that he had just had an operation on.

It could have gone anyway in the first half, but i think the fitness showed in the second half.

Totally agree, playin against Shez, Dux, Tommy or Tony P was brilliant so on the same team i bet it was awesome. Still i got a couple of good tackles in on shex, dux and tommy and even megged dux so that made my night, even if he did get me back lol.

Hopefully i'll be able to get revenge this time!

I still havent made my mind up as to what i will do yet, in all honesty i think it's wrong to charge so much and make so much money out of working class people like us who love the club.

You dont have to bid. Like me it seems you probably cant afford it but if it was free hundreds would want to play - I think it's a good scheme.

There could be a system were you buy a raffle ticket or maybe draw all season ticket holders into a hat. It just seems like lets see how much we can get all the time with latics/

Nah, disagree - if people have the dosh then let them have the chance of a lifetime playing against their heroes.

In the USA they have baseball fantasy camps that costs thousands of dollars and you have to spend a week at the place. The Fans Fixture is aimed about right I think.

I still havent made my mind up as to what i will do yet, in all honesty i think it's wrong to charge so much and make so much money out of working class people like us who love the club.

it's all about value!

from what i gather it's the whole shebang....... kit, pre game build up .... drinkie poo's in the bar after etc, etc!

not many people get the opportunity to do stuff like that... if you do, you inevitably have to pay for it!

into context....... i won the training day at celebration sunday...

if my memory serves me right.. 5 prizes

1. two airline tickets to america

2. £1,000

3. 2 season tickets

4. £250 sports shop voucher

5. a day's training with the players

when i went to get my prize... drawn by the midfield terrier himself (quick quiz! anyone??????) the bloke who won the airline tickets offered to swap!!

nah!! have been to america loads of times, and besides, it's not the fare that costs you money! it's the hotel and spends!!!

my prize is something that money simply cannot buy (apart from the odd charity job!)...

and another reason why i have no qualms about re-newing and S-I-L tickets at every home game.... i'm still paying for that day 4 years ago..

Celebration Sunday? Oh that would be the day when I turned up with my season ticket and couldnt get in.

Train with the players definately the pick of the prizes....what was involved?

yep that is what i couldn't understand....... by far the ultimate of prizes yet was advertised as number 5??

err..... told to turn up one particular monday. had tea and toast with the team (made to feel very welcome i may add too!).

then took on a guided tour of sorts.. then into home changing room and given a multitude of kit to get into!!

was fortunate to be invited by shez (him and eyrsie were c/takers at the time if you remember!) into their monday meeting..

and believe me that was no holes barred!!!

i picked the wrong monday as it was brass monkeys outside, so had a 'light' (yeah right!!!) training session in the clayton gym..

got to find out who were the characters and who took even the 'light' training sessions the most seriously...

was then invited to join them for lunch, which was their daily butty run upto that place on rocky rd...

i offered to take my chance with the 'pick the X from the hat' as that is how they decided to pay for said butties..

told in no uncertain terms by muzza that i was not going to pick... bonus really as only three left, and still one X in the hat..

Q duty hero adam griffin and then had a natter with the players over lunch...

got a few shirts signed before i left! thanked everyone for the day etc etc...

best moment was when i was getting into my car outside... killen and will were getting berated by some nimby sort for parking their cars outside the ground. to responses of " have you scratched any cars recently?" he turned his attention to me!

my response! " do i look like a footballer????" ...

was still getting down the stairs at home on my backside, even as late as thursday!! not too fit ya see!!!

'light' training my arris!!

priceless every single minute of it!!!

yep that is what i couldn't understand....... by far the ultimate of prizes yet was advertised as number 5??

err..... told to turn up one particular monday. had tea and toast with the team (made to feel very welcome i may add too!).

then took on a guided tour of sorts.. then into home changing room and given a multitude of kit to get into!!

was fortunate to be invited by shez (him and eyrsie were c/takers at the time if you remember!) into their monday meeting..

and believe me that was no holes barred!!!

i picked the wrong monday as it was brass monkeys outside, so had a 'light' (yeah right!!!) training session in the clayton gym..

got to find out who were the characters and who took even the 'light' training sessions the most seriously...

was then invited to join them for lunch, which was their daily butty run upto that place on rocky rd...

i offered to take my chance with the 'pick the X from the hat' as that is how they decided to pay for said butties..

told in no uncertain terms by muzza that i was not going to pick... bonus really as only three left, and still one X in the hat..

Q duty hero adam griffin and then had a natter with the players over lunch...

got a few shirts signed before i left! thanked everyone for the day etc etc...

best moment was when i was getting into my car outside... killen and will were getting berated by some nimby sort for parking their cars outside the ground. to responses of " have you scratched any cars recently?" he turned his attention to me!

my response! " do i look like a footballer????" ...

was still getting down the stairs at home on my backside, even as late as thursday!! not too fit ya see!!!

'light' training my arris!!

priceless every single minute of it!!!

Sounds awesome you're a lucky lad!

As said, I played last year, although it wasnt actually me who said that to Tommy, Wayne, but you are correct. For what you would class as an old guy he is bloody quick and tricky. I did find it hard work keeping up with him for the majority of the game. Hardest work out Ive had in a long time lol. I do 5 miles running twice a week. Cycle 7 miles a day, play football twice a week and still found it hard work trying to play against what you have to class as professionals. You have to take in account a proper pitch like BP is or at least feels twice the size of a sunday league type pitch.

If youre worried about fitness Id bid on a striker slot cause you wont have to do much running considering the amount of time we had in their half last time lol.

Im really considering doing it again this year but Ive lost so much fitness this year with my injury Im not sure its worth me even trying to keep up with the likes of Tommy, probably the worse position on the pitch that day lol

Edited by davegtt