To You "Sheridan Outers"................A Call To Arms!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd find a totally illogical reason to still hate him and become bitter and twisted like BB80. :grin:

Difference....I'm bitter and twisted about people being hated when they shouldn't be....you'd be being bitter and twisted simply for hating someone. Bit different. Only persons related to Latics (off top of my head) that I hate are Mark H*****, Mark R*****, Chris M****, Adrian Littlebastard and Brian Talbot. Hated for very, very logical reasons :grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80

and finally,big sam....doesnt need the money after his massive pay off from the toon,would love him to come in and put the club right from top to bottom,works both ways he gets us up and established in championship,puts him back in line for higher jobs,everyones a winner.

Hahaha....please tell me you were a Ronnie-outer....would piss myself laughing if you were and think Fat Sam is worthy of gracing our club! If you thought it was bad under Moore, Christ, you'd be slitting your wrists in Boundary Park with that :censored:! I take it you've forgotten his bile about Crofty in that FA Cup tie a few years back. He's the last manager on earth to have a go about tackles.

Fat Sam??? No thankyou!!!

Call me controversial, but if a manager (doesn't matter who) came in and got us playing a physical long ball game that hadus winning every week and top of the league, I think there would be very few complaining bitterly about our style of play.

Winning is what counts. To the vast majority the 'how' doesn't matter a toss.

Call me controversial, but if a manager (doesn't matter who) came in and got us playing a physical long ball game that hadus winning every week and top of the league, I think there would be very few complaining bitterly about our style of play.

Winning is what counts. To the vast majority the 'how' doesn't matter a toss.

Totally agree....infact, that's exactly what I said about Ronnie about getting results after the shave with relegation the season before. But it mattered not one bit. Hence, why I'm laughing at the irony of Fat Sams name being brought up. Our fans would complain like :censored:....like Chelski complained Jose's play was dire to watch! I honestly do think the majority would be whinging no matter where we were in the league, to watch that football. I wouldn't.....but I'm not assessing Fat Sam on that, I'm pointing it out in relation to what "our lot" want to watch.

As for Fat Sam's abilities (thank god we're talking about him for this level, than the ridiculous thought of him for England!) just not convinced he would do that at this level. His "foreign policy" at Bolton will have cost more than some think. He didn't keep them up on a small budget. Also, when he was at this level, he shat all over Notts Co. and could've seen it through, got them up and been playing on the same level as Bolton....instead, he deserted them. Never proving if he could see it through and get them out of this division (and in a different time in football, where the gap wasn't as big between the divisions.)

Fat Sam? No thanks!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Please not Ritchie or Royle...this is one season ticket holder who will not be returning for a long time if Shez is replaced by either of these!! Im fully behind Shez and if he does go i am not gonna get a season ticket next season on the principal (however stupid or obsurd) that we cant keep chopping and changing managers when a club our size is finishing in the top half of the division. Shez was the legend everyone wanted in so please stick by him at least for the start of the next season. Bringing in either of these would IMO not guarantee success look to the future not the past!!!

Hahaha....please tell me you were a Ronnie-outer....would piss myself laughing if you were and think Fat Sam is worthy of gracing our club! If you thought it was bad under Moore, Christ, you'd be slitting your wrists in Boundary Park with that :censored:! I take it you've forgotten his bile about Crofty in that FA Cup tie a few years back. He's the last manager on earth to have a go about tackles.

Fat Sam??? No thankyou!!!

no i wasnt a ronnie outer,thought he got a raw deal actually as season tickets fell away not only due to him.

so some manager says something derrogitory about someone who plays for us and thats that then....

fair enough he isnt one of your choices,but he may well be one or two other peoples choices as he fits the bill about being available,and knows a fair amount about getting players fit and beyond.

at the end of the day if the owners do decide to change things it wont matter one bit who you me or anybody else want,it will be who they think can improve the team and move us forward.

Working on the basis of we need change, please nominate candidates who are available, realistic and would see OAFC as a step forward.

Excluding Ritchie I can't think of anybody, but I remain very interested as to your shortlist.

I dont think he needs to go I just think he needs someone more experienced to help him out...someone who knows how to man manage and can help him become a top manager

Shez to stay at least one more season to show signs of improvement. However I don't think this club would have gone wrong appointing Gary Johnson when shez was appointed, back then I reckon they'd have got him too from Yeovil. However now he's outta this clubs league at present (pardon the pun).

EDIT: Oh and Norm will make a good manager. His interviews are always good.

Edited by Lags

I don't see how you can say you want Shez to stay and then reel off 5 names of possible replacements. Not the best support there. I know its a discussion board but it just made me laugh.

An answer to a hypothetical question maybe???

Perhaps a slightly diffefrent structure would help and may have helped Sheridan. Royle as Director of Football, but give the job a proper clear definition - he's in charge of all aspects. His experience is now huge. He knows the politics of the game inside out. Ignoring his stint here, he has won things at City and Everton and he kept Ipswich afloat at a very difficult time. He also has enormous affection and passion for the club, including all us miserable gits. Allow him to manage young coaches. Sheridan would've been perfect under his tutelage. Other possible coaches under his control might include Philiskirk or Bunn. Rithcie's track record leaves a question mark, but he did a great job initially at Barnsley and he kept us up in very difficult circumstances.

Two other points. The idea that criticism of Sheridan has not and could not be constructive is ignorant. It has and is. You may want him to stay, but he is far from protection from what has generally been justified criticism. To put up a blanket defense without recognizing the many flaws is plain ignorant if not arrogant.

Second, the idea of Brian Horton is one of the most wonderfully outrageous suggestions I've come across.

Not a Shez outer - but he was given too long on his contract. Giving him 3 years means we cant afford to sack him. (I wouldn'tthough)

You can't be serious Ryan?!

Ok, so we give him what? 2 years? Ok, so hypothetically he makes a fist of it last year and gets us into the playoffs (which he did), and then this year - again hypothetically) he gets us into the playoffs/auto spots but we fall at the final hurdle. At this point his contract is up but he's been attracting attention from above from the likes of Wednesday and dare I say Leeds, so he opts to go there on the promise of bigger bucks, better facilities etc. That leaves us back at square one looking for a new manager and going through the 'circus' of wholesale team rebuilding every 2 seasons. Everyone is bleating about how TTA were'stupid' for not tying a promising young manager down for more than 2 years blah blah blah.

3 years was exactly right, that way he gets a min 2 years with his own squad and the bonus year of his first year with half of Ronnie's squad. That hopefully provides him with enough time to get all the building blocks in place.

If he's doing badly by Christmas next year then maybe we have to review the situation - at which point he only have 6 months left on his contract and paying him off becomes less of an issue from a financial standpoint.

I don't want Shez out and the only way I could see him leaving in the near future (i.e. next 3 months or so) would be if Laws got the sack at Wednesday. But if he did I only see there being one realistic replacement.

Ritchie.

If you look at the types of managers that the TTA could hire you'll see why;

We could go for an experienced manager who has proven to be a success at a higher level in the past? (e.g. Allardyce)

Well, realistically, no we couldn't. There's no way we could afford someone like that.

We could go for a proven/journeyman manager at this level?

What happened to Ronnie Moore then? Most proven managers at this level play similar football to Moore's teams and us fans loved that didn't we? TTA won't want to hire another Moore.

We could go for a successful lower league manager?

Affordable, but didn't TTA try that with Talbot? Again, the fans didn't like him and a year later he was out the door.

We could go for a crowd pleaser?

The owners tried this with Sheridan and in his two years in charge he has done better than his two predecessors and the majority of fans are satisfied with him still managing us. Best of their three choices without a doubt. Tbh the only way that any manager is going to get the patience needed to do his job from our fans is if he's a fans favourite from the past (as proven in the past four years).

The main two choices are Ritchie and Royle (Dux is another possibility but Ritchie is similar and has more experience) and I don't think it would be right to bring back Joe because if it went wrong it would damage his good reputation here and I'm not convinced that he would be motivated enough to emulate the fantastic yet difficult job that he did before.

So onto Ritchie, a known quantity, he's won promotion from this division before, obviously a crowd favourite, plays a similar style of football to Shez and affordable. On the other hand he's just been sacked by a similar club to ours recently and he didn't set the world alight last time he managed here (regardless of the circumstances).

Finally, I must point out that I think hiring Ritchie would be a step backwards from Shez. Therefore proving that Shez is the best man for the job at the current time.

I agree 100% with that Dan, but the 3 year contract was given last may. Not the year before. So at Christmas he has another 18 months to run on his contract.

Last may he had been in the job a year. He should have been given a 2 year contract from then, not 3 IMO.

I agree 100% with that Dan, but the 3 year contract was given last may. Not the year before. So at Christmas he has another 18 months to run on his contract.

Last may he had been in the job a year. He should have been given a 2 year contract from then, not 3 IMO.

Fair do's Ryan, didn't realise he had 2 yrs left not one yr.

well scholes has 1 yr left at united, after this could it be possible for him as player manager? he definately would have contacts and cares for the club

Scholes IMO hasn't got the right attributes as a person. Being a great manager isn't about how good a player you are. Its about how you are as a person. A leader, articulates well and has a nasty streak are all high on the agenda. Gary Neville looks like he'd make a good one, but if he got it - I wouldn't go.

We could go for a successful lower league manager?

Affordable, but didn't TTA try that with Talbot? Again, the fans didn't like him and a year later he was out the door.

Sorry, but not having that. He was sacked simply coz he had us staring down the barrel of relegation! Nothing to do with liking him or not, but obviously that makes him dislikable. Had he had us up the table, he would've had support (mine also.) But after a disasterous run after our FA Cup exit, the 2-0 home defeat to soon-after relegated Stockport and a slapping at Bristol City (shipping 5 goals) he got the bullet. And rightly so. We were going down under him and was sacked solely on that basis.

So onto Ritchie, a known quantity, he's won promotion from this division before, obviously a crowd favourite, plays a similar style of football to Shez and affordable. On the other hand he's just been sacked by a similar club to ours recently and he didn't set the world alight last time he managed here (regardless of the circumstances).

Now that I do agree with some of the above. Well, the positives you've mentioned. The bits about not setting the world alight here last time....well after pulling us away from relegation on a shoestring, playing decent stuff, he was then sacked just 3wks after taking us to top of the league. Sadly, CM had been waiting for a reason to sack him and appoint his own team and it came when we had a tough 4 game run of Reading, Bristol City, QPR and Uddersfield. All which we lost to slip to 8th. I've every belief we would've bounced right back.

Regarding his managerial stints elsewhere, Barnsley shat all over him after taking them up while Uddersfield have given him practically :censored: all to spend. Hence why over the hills, they're fairly split into either wanting Ritchie out or Davey out. Those who stick up for Ritchie know that it's Davey only caring about the Ruggers that's tied Ritchies hands. And is no slant on Ritchies abilities in their or my eyes. It's ridiculous that some people (not yourself, but others) think he's a bad manager....but that's football.

I'd rather Shez get another 8/9 months til Christmas and see where we are really.

And the final point from me on this is. Who's to say any of the managers mentioned would want it?

Sorry, but not having that. He was sacked simply coz he had us staring down the barrel of relegation! Nothing to do with liking him or not, but obviously that makes him dislikable. Had he had us up the table, he would've had support (mine also.) But after a disasterous run after our FA Cup exit, the 2-0 home defeat to soon-after relegated Stockport and a slapping at Bristol City (shipping 5 goals) he got the bullet. And rightly so. We were going down under him and was sacked solely on that basis.

Yeah good point actually, I should've made it more clear that results were the main reason for the sacking rather than the fans driving him out. But the point was that if the TTA have to make another managerial choice they'll look back at the Talbot situation and think that someone with lower league success isn't necessarily going to be successful at our level.

Yeah good point actually, I should've made it more clear that results were the main reason for the sacking rather than the fans driving him out. But the point was that if the TTA have to make another managerial choice they'll look back at the Talbot situation and think that someone with lower league success isn't necessarily going to be successful at our level.

True, that's a fair point. I'd like to think it was the endless bankrolling that BT had at Rushden that got them where it did than BT's tactical abilities etc. And thus, hopefully, if they did ever need to appoint us another manager and wanted to choose a successful lower league one, they'd look at one that's done wonders on a shoestring in future. Hope we don't need to do that for a good time to come though.