England to play Ashes test in Wales!

Just read that the ECB have decided to scrap Old Trafford from the Ashes next year in preference for Cardiff! :censored:ing wankers!!! Makes my blood boil!!!.....Was looking forward to getting tickets at Old Trafford next year for the Ashes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/7342217.stm

Just read that the ECB have decided to scrap Old Trafford from the Ashes next year in preference for Cardiff! :censored:ing wankers!!! Makes my blood boil!!!.....Was looking forward to getting tickets at Old Trafford next year for the Ashes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/7342217.stm

Yep, they announced that early last summer.

Sofia Gardens only holds 15,000, which IMO is not big enough for an Ashes test. Fair enough, let them hold a test as it is the England and Wales Cricket team, but not an Ashes test. The Ashes should be played at the 5 biggest grounds- Lords, The Oval, Edgbaston, Old Trafford and Headingly.

Yep, they announced that early last summer.

Sofia Gardens only holds 15,000, which IMO is not big enough for an Ashes test. Fair enough, let them hold a test as it is the England and Wales Cricket team, but not an Ashes test. The Ashes should be played at the 5 biggest grounds- Lords, The Oval, Edgbaston, Old Trafford and Headingly.

Why should they have 2 matches in London,Old Trafford has been a good ground for England(even Harmisson bowls well there) and also Trent Bridge should be in

Why should they have 2 matches in London,Old Trafford has been a good ground for England(even Harmisson bowls well there) and also Trent Bridge should be in

But Trent Bridge only has 15,000 seats. The Oval is a quality ground, and you cant have a series without a Lords test, its just not cricket.

The Welsh were able to pay to get the Test their, with money the English-funded sports and Government agencies gave them. Not the best. Hopefully Good Old Trafford will finally get done up properly and be too good for them to even think about missing it. Have to say though, I’ve a feeling that attendances there haven’t been the best in recent years (apart from when people heard BB80 was going and wanted to be a part of it :wink: ) which doesn’t help the cause.

its done on a bidding basis, sofia gardens paid a reputed £3m with our aforementioned tax payments, dont think ot would even break even on the tickets at that price. but as regards attendances its always full for england and has got to be one of the best fast bowlers wickets in the country as was proved by harmy v pakistan when he cleaned them up inside 3 days and a whole load of us had tickets for the 4th day grrrrrr. it even spins, its a classic example of money over thought and it really irks botham, which admittedly carries little or no weight with the toffs in crap ties and crapper blazers.

its done on a bidding basis, sofia gardens paid a reputed £3m with our aforementioned tax payments, dont think ot would even break even on the tickets at that price. but as regards attendances its always full for england and has got to be one of the best fast bowlers wickets in the country as was proved by harmy v pakistan when he cleaned them up inside 3 days and a whole load of us had tickets for the 4th day grrrrrr. it even spins, its a classic example of money over thought and it really irks botham, which admittedly carries little or no weight with the toffs in crap ties and crapper blazers.

True, they paid a fortune for it and were awarded it with an undeveloped stadium (which I think has since been built). I am not too bothered Old Trafford hasn't got it. It is a wake up call that we have long needed to update our ground (which has now been taken note of). But what I will question is why the Rose Bowl didn't get it. They seem to have said it is due to parking issues. Why not Durham? These are Counties that are doing all they can and aren't given any chance of getting worthwhile cricket at their grounds. What is there to make them want to improve their stadiums. They get little to nothing for doing so. At least Lancs are nigh on guaranteed test cricket if they update their stadium.

As for Glamorgan. Look at who made this decision and it will tell you all there needs to be told.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Actually the test being moved to Sofia gardens (or whatever it is called these days) doesn't bother me too much. If i want to go i could probably get tickets (my uncle knows some big glamorgan honcho) and it has forced Old Trafford to update itself. Old trafford has quite bad facilities for a test match with only 1 or 2 bars outside the members pavillion not the greatest parking and it uses temporary stands which don't look great and never feel all that safe. Although it has good public transport facilities the metrolink is appalling unless you get on before victoria as they never really put on extra trains and getting away is bad too and it doesn't really have any parking during the week. Having been to the Riverside (for a 20-20) I wasn't all that impressed. It uses a huge temporary stand, facilities looked very limited for food/beer, additional car parking is in a grass field which looked fairly full with the ground only having about 5,000 people in it (capacity is 15,00) and was a right pain to get out off. Chester-le-street does have a main line train station but over half the trains which stop in Durham (and that's not all of them) don't stop in CLS, the station is a good way from the ground and bus routes aren't all that great. Sofia Gardens however does have some parking (fairly certain its home to a park and ride) and Cardiff's station is quite big and provided you go the right way is only about 10 minutes from Sofia Gardens. Personally this is something which shows progress as it will allow different fans to watch England and should force some grounds to update their facilities.

why? 2 games so far this season one rained off and no play today in cc so almost certain 2 out of 2 rained off so far

But the weather is part of the game. You'd be eliminating the conditions that make the ball swing, spin, or do none of the above, it's all that variation that goes to making the game so unpredictable and fascinating. Granted it would probably help Lancy, although on current form maybe not...

9,999 and myself :disappointed:

We were there for the Saturday Game at OT, been looking forward to it for month and it bucketed down all day, finally saw some play at about 3.30 then the rain started again, decided that was that for the day so went into Town for some beers, looked at the telly and they were out again. Not happy

But the weather is part of the game. You'd be eliminating the conditions that make the ball swing, spin, or do none of the above, it's all that variation that goes to making the game so unpredictable and fascinating. Granted it would probably help Lancy, although on current form maybe not...

yes very true, i now include the word retractable! although i do think we try and play to much domestic cricket at the mo and am an advocate of getting rid of the friends provident trophy