wellens yesterday

could not go to the game yesterday but my dad went and said that wellens played. now I know i`m not a football manager but why would Wellens not be in the Doncaster side on Friday and they still have the second leg to go but he was allowed to play in a meaningless game yesterday. I find it a very strange decision from O`Driscoll. Either that or he has signed for someone else(and I don`t mean us.)

Don't quote me, but someone said Donny didn't even know Wellens was here. :blink:

If he's carrying a knock, you could understand him not figuring on Friday but being able to have a gentle kickabout on Sunday (which is all it was). Most energetic thing he did was debagging the Corrie cabby! :laught16:

It does kinda raise more questions than answers though... or are we just being too hopeful? :grin:

spoke to richies dad this morning he said donny dont know he played & he need an hernia operation!!!!

VERY STRANGE

i did ask if he as signed for someone else but he said a firm NO, so god knows

but richie dad did ask how long he played for tho so even he doesnt know the real problem!!

i think he just played through the pain barrier for ernie...

well done wellens for turning out tho.!.!.!.!

Guest oa_exile
What's the obsession some latics fans have with Wellens? People loved him before he even played for us and still do. Decent player yes but i think people seriously overate him.

Really , he is the best Midfielder in this Division and yes he was a good player when he played for the Lashers as well.

IMO he should still be wearing a Latics shirt and the club did not do enough to keep him ......... IMO of course :)

Edited by oa_exile

What's the obsession some latics fans have with Wellens? People loved him before he even played for us and still do. Decent player yes but i think people seriously overate him.

He has that creative spark that is very difficult to find in players at this level.

He's not some kind of Messiah - but he would definitely improve our midfield.

He could be the little extra that gets us promoted. Of course, we still have no idea if he'd then cut it in the Championship.

The only real problem I see is that unless we play a three in the middle his arrival could upset a very promising midfield pairing in Allott and Eardley.

But this is all pure speculation - I honestly doubt a move is on the cards.

Wellens will not come back to us he will move on soon enough from Doncaster even if they do get promoted.

RW is a big fish in a poor pond that is League 1. The way that football is going now, better players are having to drop down leagues as a typical club are now releasing more players after each season.

Wellens is a good player but if he was the difference between winning promotion or not wouldn't every club be breaking the bank to sign him ? RW has had 3 clubs in 6 years IIRC - On his day he is a touch of class at this level but over a season "on his day" is a few games here and there. We have witnessed him going missing when the ball is lost or if we were losing !

We offered Wellens the salary he wanted ! But we couldn't and I agree shouldnt pay a stupid signing on fee of over 100k to a player who is already on our books just because some other chairman wants him to become his new player !

Sorry to say but there is NO LOYALTY left in football ! Its all about the money !

Wellens isnt happy at DRFC but his signing on fee over 3 years is worth more or the same as most players in League annual salary - So that makes it worth it to him !

His own contemporaries have voted him into the PFA Team of the season for the last 2 seasons (and I suspect in other seasons when he was running the Lashers midfield)...so I guess all these other players overrate him aswell?

Personally I think he is one of the best midfielders in our division and one of only a handful (from this division) that I think would improve our current squad. He won't come back though, and there are plenty of other targets out there. Shame he went, but I'm not one of those that dwell on player moves - after all it is just a job to them. He's an excellent league one midfielder don't see anything 'overrated' about that.

I'm pretty sure people on this thread are commenting on the slightly odd situation of him playing in Ernies kickabout yesterday and yet not turning out on Friday for a crucial Donny game...plus the fact that he was reported as missing due to hernia and yet the Donny site contradicted it's own earlier statement (hernia) by saying it was a bad back...seems they aren't entirely sure???? Love to see the Donny fans response when they find out...but I reckon Donny must've known - he was obviously going to be photographed on such an occasion, no way he'd have got away it.

Edited by lookers87

his dad was defo not impressed with his actions this morning because he said donny defo dont know he has played!!!!!

his face said it all this morning tho!!!!!

go on richie haha

...I'm really looking forward to those Donny reactions then

From one Donneis board

Richie was due to play Friday evening just gone, however about 1 1/2 hours prior to kick off he had lets just say 'bad guts' and was unable to turn out (for obvious reasons) barring injury im sure RW will be back in the side this coming friday, so any further rumours/fantasy stories that come out please ignore.

plus :grin:

http://www.vikingsc.co.uk/donny.mpl?id=224712

Thought it was great that Richie turned out for Ernie when perhaps he shouldn't have.

I for one would love to see him back but can't see it.

was a nice thing to do and next season when he returns to bp to play AGAINST us i will clap him just for that. such a good thing to do.