Lee Hughes Interview

Channel M

I'm gonna give the footage to Stu to use on Latics World.

If you're based in the Manchester area you can tune in Ch M through a terrestrial arial.

www.channelm.co.uk for info on how. The programme will actually be going on the website too by Monday morning at the latest

Friday 19.00 - 20.00 & repeated 23.00 - 00.00

About a 10 minute interview with Lee Hughes.

That's longer than Posh Spice got on GMTV this week but hey, i'm biased!

Ch M

Sky 203

Qualiteeee - had me virgin cut off and only got about 7 channels - M is one of them - will be watching - then Radio listening to Southend hammer the Yorkies so we can play em again next season!!

I'm a big fan of Lee, and the Club for signing him despite the media nonsense it was bound to cause.

However ..... having watched the interview, I am slightly concerned that he will be off at the end of the season if we don't win promotion. I have a couple of problems with that - firstly he was a GREAT signing, but it feels as if he has hardly played. Given the crap we took, I would have hoped that we would have got more of a return.

My second concern is about his contract - I assume that he signed for 2 years, and that if we don't go up, and he leaves, we don't get a penny. I'm not going to call HIM a greedy barsteward - I would do the same, probably even in the circumstances - but maybe, just MAYBE, the Club should be thinking about this, and either try to tie him up for a longer period, or see if we could get a reasonable fee for him now.

I don't want him to go, and I'm not being negative, but there's no guarantees in this world and 500K (??) for a 31 year old is better than 0 for a 32 year old.

Finally, can I just say that it was good to see him laughing, and to hear an interview where they didn't drag up stuff from 4-5 years ago.

Well done Channel M.

However ..... having watched the interview, I am slightly concerned that he will be off at the end of the season if we don't win promotion. I have a couple of problems with that - firstly he was a GREAT signing, but it feels as if he has hardly played. Given the crap we took, I would have hoped that we would have got more of a return.

I didnt see the interview. However you say you hoped for more in return but i dont agree. Yes he was a great signing but he is a top striker and we were only ever going to be his route back into professional football. He needed someone to take a chance and that someone was Oldham Athletic. If he stays fit next season and starts banging goals in for fun he is only going to attract attention and if we are lucky he goes in Jan for a fee and if not he goes at the end of the season for nothing.

I like you think he was a great singing but just cant see him being here after next season. He is easily a championship striker and on his day maybe a prem one.

I didnt see the interview. However you say you hoped for more in return but i dont agree. Yes he was a great signing but he is a top striker and we were only ever going to be his route back into professional football. He needed someone to take a chance and that someone was Oldham Athletic. If he stays fit next season and starts banging goals in for fun he is only going to attract attention and if we are lucky he goes in Jan for a fee and if not he goes at the end of the season for nothing.

I like you think he was a great singing but just cant see him being here after next season. He is easily a championship striker and on his day maybe a prem one.

will watch the interview later on.

so shez is saying next season we have to do something...and now hughes is saying we have to do something.....obviously he still has ambitions and wants to return to playing at a higher level,cant fault him for that.

lets hope we do go up next season and he sticks around for a further 2 years,what a championship team that could be with hughes and scholes in it.

Yeah picked up same vibes, will sign again if we go up - but we godda be realistic - if he DOES have a good season but we dont go up, who realistically thinks he will be here the season after? Would be brill if he would sign another contract, really do like the fella's humble and grateful down to earth attitude!

It is easy to read too much into this (ie he will leave if we stay down).

He says he will definitely stay if we get promoted and he would love to get Oldham into The Championship and them establish them there. He never says "that's it" though if we stay down this Season. In fact, he talks about West Brom, the Team he idolises and the interviewer asks if he would return there. His answer is "no, I owe the people at Oldham too much."

Add to that the fact he is happy in Saddleworth, loves the fans for their reaction to him; has never enjoyed training as much; thinks the manager is fantastic; believes the Youth set-up is excellent and says the players are a great bunch of lads and the omens look good in my opinion.

It is a very good interview and he comes across extremely well. It also says an awful lot of good things about the Club; management and playing staff - particularly the senior leaders like Gregan; Liddell and Hazell. It also perhaps kills a few myths about the training regime and assorted bust ups!

From what I hear, next Season, the players will be expected to work hard in the afternoons on fitness and other issues. Currently, they only train in the mornings generally. The new Physio is really planning to make his mark by all accounts and again, that is something that Hughes touches upon as a real positive about Latics.

It is easy to read too much into this (ie he will leave if we stay down).

He says he will definitely stay if we get promoted and he would love to get Oldham into The Championship and them establish them there. He never says "that's it" though if we stay down this Season. In fact, he talks about West Brom, the Team he idolises and the interviewer asks if he would return there. His answer is "no, I owe the people at Oldham too much."

Add to that the fact he is happy in Saddleworth, loves the fans for their reaction to him; has never enjoyed training as much; thinks the manager is fantastic; believes the Youth set-up is excellent and says the players are a great bunch of lads and the omens look good in my opinion.

It is a very good interview and he comes across extremely well. It also says an awful lot of good things about the Club; management and playing staff - particularly the senior leaders like Gregan; Liddell and Hazell. It also perhaps kills a few myths about the training regime and assorted bust ups!

From what I hear, next Season, the players will be expected to work hard in the afternoons on fitness and other issues. Currently, they only train in the mornings generally. The new Physio is really planning to make his mark by all accounts and again, that is something that Hughes touches upon as a real positive about Latics.

I picked that bit up as the most interesting point in the interview, along the line of ' the physio is a good lad and he has some great new ideas for training'........

All pretty positive stuff from Huuuuughesy, came across pretty well.

ALSO A BIG WELL DONE to ChannelM for the interview, no same old same old questions about the crash / his time inside etc....just football related questions like interviews with LH should be now, the time has past for all those questions & issues to be asked again.

• 2 months later...