What Type Of Player Is Lee?

Guest M_OAFC

Guest M_OAFC

Despite bringing in some good players in the last few summers I've found my main criticism to be a failure to prioritise the positions most in need rather than using up some of the budget on positions in which we were already not too badly off. So when Sheridan announced the positions in which he was looking to make signings this summer I was pleased to note that his list looked a lot like mine.

I'm glad to see us bring in a keeper because whilst I feel cruel saying it I just don't think Josh Bell is tall enough to make it. In all other areas he looks a promising keeper but he just struggles too much in the air for me so I didn't feel that we had 2 keepers who could provide genuine competiton to each other for a first team place. Whilst I've never seen Fleming play I'm now hoping we've got that.

The remainder of Shez's list was a left back, a left winger, a creative central midfielder and a striker. If that striker is to be a target man then the only adaptation I'd advocate to that list would be the addition of a centre back with pace, so......so far so good. But I can't make my mind up about the merits of signing Lee because I don't know how Shez intends to use him. Which if any of the above roles do we intend him to fulfill?

Now I know managers like to go on about how they've brought a player in because he's really versatile and can play x number of positions etc etc but I'm convinced that is nothing more than standard manager speak. I'm not denying it's handy to call on when injuries and suspensions bite but I don't honestly believe that managers bring players in without knowing exactly where they want them to play when availability in other positions permits. So where does Shez intend to use Lee and is it one of the positions on his list?

If he intends to use him at full back is he left or right footed? If he's right footed how many bloody right backs do we need? Eardley, Lomax, Hazell and now Lee! If however he's left footed then that's another one ticked off the list. If on the other hand we intend to use him in midfield is he a defensive midfielder, in which case I'm not convinced of the wisdom of using up part of your budget on the position presently occupied by your player of the season - even if he is better than Allott, whilst all improvements are welcome surely we've got higher priorities - or is he in fact a creative one in which case that's another one ticked off the list.

Personally, being unable to remember ever seeing the guy play I couldn't answer any of the above questions but I was wondering if there is anybody on here that can?

Latics World - doesn't cost that much, get signed up lad! You'll be able to answer your own questions there - lad says he's a creative midfielder who likes to get the ball down and pass it, and chip in with a few goals. Happy Days.

Good Days effort Latics - that's all we can ask at this level and we're havin a go at least.

I agree, and all I have is that he can play at left or right back, and is a central midfielder...

On his latics world interview he indicates his prefernce is as a ball playing midfielder, when asked if he is creative he is a little cautious, but says he likes to get his foot on the ball and play it simple... people who sees him play describes him as quite cutured, so i would dispute he is anything like Allott (in the best possible way!)

he was moved to fullback at United reserve team level - which i have to say will be higher than league 1, which is an obvious step for someone who doesnt quite have a perfect position.... i'm sure at our level he is more than capable of playing the ball around in the centre of the park... Creative - I dont know, but better than what we have already....

In my mind i'd say he is similar to livermore, he will be a more than competant left back... but looks most accomplished in centre midfield, which is probably his best position... however, i'd hope, as you say, he was signed for left back with the option to move into the centre if needed...

Also, the fact we are looking at this darlo guy who is a ball playing midfielder, indicates that Lee ticks the left back box...

I'd also like to see him in the livermore position of the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation on the left of a defensive three, allowing Taylor to bomb forward...

No questions answered, but a good adidition... and also dont discount the fact the positions Shez said are in addition to what we have already got... and we have lost Macca and JP since then... i'd imagine Lee will easily fill either of thier boots...

Plus... with the rise of Eardley the midfielder - perhaps we do need anothe versatile full back...

Edited by BigfinLatic

I think he is right footed.

Think he will be a good replacement for Mcdonnald and JP but we still need a good ball player.

Couldnt agree more with M OAFC. We need to sign in the correct positions which we havent in previous seasons.

We have signed good players for the squad but we cant afford a good squad. We need to focus on a good team.

I just don't think Josh Bell is tall enough to make it. In all other areas he looks a promising keeper but he just struggles too much in the air for me..........

............ is he (Lee) left or right footed?

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm for Fleming's height advantage over Bell, but if his Wiki and Bell's Latics player profile are correct, Bell is 2 inches taller than Fleming. So lets hope your "taller = better goalie" theory isn't correct, although it is obviously an advantage to be taller.

K Lee was on the right wing and scored a cracker with his right foot for Utd against Crewe. So maybe he prefers his right foot.

Edited by laticsrblue

Guest M_OAFC
Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm for Fleming's height advantage over Bell, but if his Wiki and Bell's Latics player profile are correct, Bell is 2 inches taller than Fleming. So lets hope your "taller = better goalie" theory isn't correct

Don't worry about it, you haven't dampened my enthusiasm at all. I'd already seen the stats you refer to and have long learned to take the heights of players as given on the multitude of websites out there with a pinch of salt. If you do a google on almost any player's height you will find wild variations from one website to another. In Fleming's case wikipedia has him at 5'11 but the majority of sites have him at 6'2. And having seen Bell play plenty of times, never in a month of Sunday's is he the 6'1 that the OS claims.

I'm not suggesting taller necessarily equals better but I do believe there is a limit to how short a keeper can get away with being before high balls become a weakness that you can do little to overcome. Some shorter keepers can lessen the impact of the problem by having a good leap and timing their jump well, Gary Kelly was a good example but it was still a weakness even for him, but I've seen plenty of Bell and for me he struggles with the size issue.

I don't know for sure that Fleming has solved our problem in terms of either height or ability. Like I said in my original post I've never seen the guy I'm just hoping he's solved the problem but I do think it was a position that needed to be addressed.

Edited by M_OAFC

Guest M_OAFC
Latics World - doesn't cost that much, get signed up lad! You'll be able to answer your own questions there - lad says he's a creative midfielder who likes to get the ball down and pass it, and chip in with a few goals

In my experience Latics World tells you very little you can't find out for free a couple of hours later.

I saw that he'd said he likes to get the ball down and pass it but I don't think of that as necessarily being creative, there's plenty of centre halves that would probably say that about themselves. That's not to say he isn't creative I just don't think it really tells us much one way or the other.

I was hoping somebody might have seen a lot of him in action but if not it will make the first glimpses of him in action in an Oldham shirt all the more interesting.

I used to work at MUTV and have seen a lot of Kieran Lee. First and foremost, like most of their graduates, he is an excellent footballer. Physically he is quite small but is extremley comfortable on the ball. He is right footed but coming through the ranks he mainly played at left back.

I have been abroad to film the youth team games at the Milk Cup & another tournament in the costa brava which United won both. Kieran Lee even scored a few goals - one was a sublime chip - and his team mates included players like Fraser Campbell, Danny Simpson, Paul McShane & Ryan Shawcross (who's been great at Stoke).

He is definitely ready for football in League One & certainly better than any left back we currently have.

Brilliant signing.

Guest oa_exile
He is right footed but coming through the ranks he mainly played at left back.

He is definitely ready for football in League One & certainly better than any left back we currently have.

Brilliant signing.

Our new LB then :)

Am I missing something here.....

all reports suggest he is a great player working his way up within Man Utd and could easily have found a place in a championship side.

Why has he dropped down to league one on a permenant move? (Not that I am complaining)

all reports suggest he is a great player working his way up within Man Utd and could easily have found a place in a championship side.

Why has he dropped down to league one on a permenant move? (Not that I am complaining)

Because of the closeness to the Royton raves.

I think this is a key question, and a bit of a worry, heard he's taken his eye off the ball this season. Hope being shown the door at Utd is a wake up call

I think this is a key question, and a bit of a worry, heard he's taken his eye off the ball this season. Hope being shown the door at Utd is a wake up call

QPR (possibly the richest Club in England?) liked him enough to offer him a Contract and many of their fans were raving about him on their Messageboard when quizzed yesterday. They couldn't believe that he was going to League One as he impressed so much in The Championship when given the opportunity.

Let's face it, very few make the grade at Old Trafford where you are competing for a position against the best players in the World and for them to release someone doesn't necessarily mean they are a Clegg or a Cooper! :unsure:

I understand that he struggled to settle in London - not surprising for a 19 year old lad from Vegas - which is why he turned down QPR's offer.

I think this is a massive coup for Latics and he certainly came across well in the interview. He definitely seems to have his feet firmly on the ground.

QPR (possibly the richest Club in England?) liked him enough to offer him a Contract and many of their fans were raving about him on their Messageboard when quizzed yesterday. They couldn't believe that he was going to League One as he impressed so much in The Championship when given the opportunity.

Let's face it, very few make the grade at Old Trafford where you are competing for a position against the best players in the World and for them to release someone doesn't necessarily mean they are a Clegg or a Cooper! :unsure:

I understand that he struggled to settle in London - not surprising for a 19 year old lad from Vegas - which is why he turned down QPR's offer.

I think this is a massive coup for Latics and he certainly came across well in the interview. He definitely seems to have his feet firmly on the ground.

i agree,he said in his interview he wanted to play for a local team which is why he chose us,maybe he just wants to play and not chase the money,going from utd is no shame when he has to compete with nani and anderson etc who cost millions what chance has the local boy got.