Paul Gascoigne Sectioned

Shame to see how my childhood hero has turned out.....I even had a spurs shirt once upon a time! THAT freekick still the best ive ever seen....

Glad my mates have stopped comparing me to him anyway! :drinking45:

In his day he was a great player and I will never forget THAT freekick its such a shame things have gone this way for him. Hope he can sort things out.

Shame to see how my childhood hero has turned out.....I even had a spurs shirt once upon a time! THAT freekick still the best ive ever seen....

Glad my mates have stopped comparing me to him anyway! :drinking45:

If only referee Milford (a Bristolian and big mate of Spurs captain Gary Mabbutt) had sent him off for his first assault on a Forest player in the 1991 Cup Final, instead of allowing him to assault Gary Charles and inflict that bad injury on himself, putting him out of the game for sixteen months, perhaps none of this would have happened. Bloody top-flight referees - another conspiracy theory example for I_C.

I quote from a Sports Injury Bulletin:

"In 1991, Paul Gascoigne was stretchered off the field in the F.A. Cup Final after committing a serious foul on Gary Charles of Nottingham Forest. Gascoigne suffered a complete rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament which threatened his £5m transfer to Lazio in Italy.

If you viewed the incident in isolation, it was quite clear the injury was sustained by a completely mistimed challenge. It might then be considered an accidental collision that happens from time to time in contact sports. However, when looking at the match prior to this point you are presented with an entirely different explanation. In subsequent interviews Gascoigne has admitted to being over-aroused (too psyched-up) and his actions on the field comply with a classic case of behavioural frenzy.

From the first minute, it was clear that he was pumped-up and intent on making his mark. However, this energy led to a number of impetuous challenges which culminated in a serious knee-injury. In this case it is likely that psychological dysfunction did contribute to the outcome.

Looking at the research literature, it is evident that personality factors, stress levels and attitudes have all received attention as possible psychological antecedents of injury. In trying to unravel the relationship between psychological factors and injury, investigators have often taken a similar approach to that of geneticists. Modern scientists will often search for patterns or trends that establish relationships between two variables, such as a mutated gene and a specific disease, although just because a relationship exists it does not follow that one causes the other. Similarly, psychologists have assessed the personalities of injured athletes to try to identify common factors that may be linked to incidents of injury."

Gazza was one of the best players I've ever seen - right up there with George Best, but not blessed with Best's good looks - another case of what a waste! Obviously he would have been better to take advice for treatment of his problems rather than continuing to associate with the likes of Jimmy Five Bellies.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

If only referee Milford (a Bristolian and big mate of Spurs captain Gary Mabbutt) had sent him off for his first assault on a Forest player in the 1991 Cup Final, instead of allowing him to assault Gary Charles and inflict that bad injury on himself, putting him out of the game for sixteen months, perhaps none of this would have happened. Bloody top-flight referees - another conspiracy theory example for I_C.

Wasn't Roger Milford the ref who mysteriously allowed seven minutes injury time giving Second Division Latics time to conjure up a late equaliser at the "Top Flight" Dell? The rest, as they say, is history and I've got a scarf, mug and T-Shirt to prove it. :grin:

That's the problem with conspiracy theories. Some smart arse always finds irrefutable facts to disprove them. :wink:

Wasn't Roger Milford the ref who mysteriously allowed seven minutes injury time giving Second Division Latics time to conjure up a late equaliser at the "Top Flight" Dell? The rest, as they say, is history and I've got a scarf, mug and T-Shirt to prove it. :grin:

That's the problem with conspiracy theories. Some smart arse always finds irrefutable facts to disprove them. :wink:

Rather than "disprove", I think you've just proved my point that refs have hidden agendas, some of which benefit Latics, but it doesn't make it right! Cheating barstewards in the black!!

always thought his goal at wembley against scotland was one of the best goals ever!!!

I'd agree there, that goal was just all about a natural footballer playing with his instinct. The free kick was an awesome goal, but also a lot of it was down to sheer brute power, repeatable (outstanding) technique and a stroke of luck, a bit like the once-only Roberto Carlos banana shot*

*which I think he might have done twice

always thought his goal at wembley against scotland was one of the best goals ever!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/euro2008/2008/0...s_you_with.html

Theres a clip of it on the bbc, they had it as no.2 in an top ten goals in the euro's.

He was a fantastic player but he really needs some help now, he's been released from hospital again, i wonder how long until he ends up back there. The best football player i have ever seen

IMO Gazza when fully fit was the best English talent I have seen in my lifetime, at his best he was almost un-playable. It just a shame that the stigma against mental illness has probably resulted in him finding himself at this point in his life. It saddens me to see this.

Get well soon Gazza.