Horners in admin - players to leave?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the use of the word forced is not a good sign. probably eardley.

Selling our best players> poor results > worse crowds.

Swings and round abouts init.

The joys of trying to run a football club.

Edited by Butter

the use of the word forced is not a good sign. probably eardley.

Whoa there cowboys.... this 2+2=5 ..... how about trying to look for other sponsors before we sell our entire team!!!???

Think this will be bout being more creative on the commercial side, rather than shipping out players.... at least for this season anyway... this will massively impact in the long term though...

Again though... I think this is an erm.. interesting piece of PR from the club - and you have both reacted in the way i would expect, to panic... again I would hope that the club would be a little more astute, and rather than panicing fans they would turn it around to say they are looking for new sponsors...

Theres preparing for the worst, and then there is looking for other options... however this to me is a rubbish piece of commercial acumen, lets announce the books are screwed - yeah great, brilliant for any potential investor....

... and as you say.. everyone is int he same boat...

Whoa there cowboys.... this 2+2=5 ..... how about trying to look for other sponsors before we sell our entire team!!!???

Think this will be bout being more creative on the commercial side, rather than shipping out players.... at least for this season anyway... this will massively impact in the long term though...

Again though... I think this is an erm.. interesting piece of PR from the club - and you have both reacted in the way i would expect, to panic... again I would hope that the club would be a little more astute, and rather than panicing fans they would turn it around to say they are looking for new sponsors...

Theres preparing for the worst, and then there is looking for other options... however this to me is a rubbish piece of commercial acumen, lets announce the books are screwed - yeah great, brilliant for any potential investor....

... and as you say.. everyone is int he same boat...

Sadly since Jarvis left, we've hardly been creative on the commercial/marketing side of things!!

Sadly since Jarvis left, we've hardly been creative on the commercial/marketing side of things!!

Does anyone have any idea what these contracts are worth? I mean, I cant see them being anywhere near the value of a Taylor or an Eardley???

Surely by looking for new sponsors, trying to push merchandising, whilst attracting more fans to the games by winning football games is the way forward?? Not to restart an old arguement...

Also - whack away fans prices up like every other league 1 team...

Plus... I know the bar takings in the rocky should compensate for the loss of a shorts sponsor! :wink:

Guest oa_exile
panic? lol lucky i had this brown paper back to stop me hyperventillating! maybe i expected him to leave anyway? especially after we signed lee

Put some glue in it :lol: then you will feel OK :grin:

agree there BF...

get the commercial dept to pull its finger out and find more sponsors.

selling a player should be the last resort.

it should also signal the time to gently push the dead wood further out of the door.

I'm more inclined to believe that it'll see the end of Kalala before it sees one of the family jewels out of the door. Can see him being offered on loan very soon, if it isn't a permanent move.

Oh, and Alan's newborn ration is being shortened too. It'll be toddlers soon, they're cheaper and easier to source.

Guest oa_exile
Oh, and Alan's newborn ration is being shortened too. It'll be toddlers soon, they're cheaper and easier to source.

lol :grin:

"I dont mind toddlers but could not eat a full-un"

For right or wrong the club will already be doing whatever they feel is right in terms of earning money. We all have ideas about what they could do better and no doubt some ideas would work, but some would also be impractical and costly, and regardless of what they do on the commercial side the fact remains that they have less money coming in from other sources. It’s all very well asking Mr Corney to make it up out of his own pocket, but he’s already facing the fall in value of the BP project.

If one of them has to go, I’d rather it be Taylor. He’s a very good player at this level but I think if Eardley plays CM for a season he might be a £2m proposition at the end of it.

lol :grin:

"I dont mind toddlers but could not eat a full-un"

They need to buy him a slow cooker, that way he'll be able to make a delicious lunch from the tougher and more economical cuts of child. They develop more flavour with age in any case.

If selling star players for something which affects the "short-term", thus affecting our long-term future, then something is clearly wrong with the mentality amongst the club officials. They're acting as though we're some Blue Square Premier side, when in fact we're a decent League 1 side. There are plenty of other sponsors.

Probably about £40k in a year - wages?

nobody wants him or hed already be gone considering weve told him and all the other clubs in the country that hes available. we cant just sack him either he would need paying off, he may also be willing to play in the reserves and see out his contract if nobody offers him the same as hes on here. i suggest we fit low energy lightbulbs, that might help.

If selling star players for something which affects the "short-term", thus affecting our long-term future, then something is clearly wrong with the mentality amongst the club officials. They're acting as though we're some Blue Square Premier side, when in fact we're a decent League 1 side. There are plenty of other sponsors.

We've lost 3 stand sponsors in 1 season though!

There are plenty of other sponsors.

Are there though? The last two were large local businesses with Latics fans in charge, and you would struggle to say that they have reaped huge commercial benefits from the deals. We would be doing very well to find more of the same willing to spend as much money.

Every company is tightening their belts though and are less willing to sponsor. I work for a very large well known media company our share price and advertising revenues are falling because people are spending less.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Are there though? The last two were large local businesses with Latics fans in charge, and you would struggle to say that they have reaped huge commercial benefits from the deals. We would be doing very well to find more of the same willing to spend as much money.

Well, exactly. The last two were local businesses with Latics fans in charge - it's all very selective to me. Push the boat out, actually try and attract a wide range of firms from a larger range across England and the rest of the UK. These commercial fellas shouldn't be paid for just crossing the street to a buisness, they should be paid for getting out and around, spreading the word we're 3 sponsors down, and make sure it gets further than the top of Sheepfoot Lane.