Horners in admin - players to leave?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK :wink: Rumour Ryder & Dutton in trouble? Reported as malicious rumour in press BUT someone who has just been finished by Ryder and Dutton says another 49 also given push so rumour has some substance? Does latics have any commercial links/sponsorship with Ryder & Dutton? PS Having been stuck up in Scotland for weeks my minds going :grin:

Noticed our old friends BOVIS also in trouble financially.

Ryder & Dutton were subject to a hoax recently where someone claimed they had goine into Liquidation. The article is below. Latics Director Ian Hill is a Partner at Ryder & Dutton I believe.

Estate agent foils hoaxer sabotage bid

3/ 7/2008

AN ATTACK by a mystery hoaxer, who claimed a major residential and commercial estate agent had gone into liquidation, has been foiled.

Police have been called in after the hoaxer sent fax massages to more than 500 key clients and institutions alleging long-established Ryder and Dutton, who have a dozen offices across parts of Greater Manchester, including on Market Place, Heywood, was being wound up.

The hoaxer backed his attack with a falsified document claiming a compulsory winding up order had been presented and advertised in last Friday´’s London Gazette.

On Saturday, the hoaxer emailed the company’s key clients with a copy of the notice and on Monday Ryder and Dutton received calls from companies named on the list.

Investigations by the estate agents’ directors and their legal team proved the notice to be a sham and they were helped by the backing of many of the clients contacted.

A spokesman for Ryder and Dutton said: "We have received dozens of calls from clients who are totally sympathetic. They, like us, are totally amazed by these allegations which are completely untrue. We are grateful of our clients’ support."

North Ainley Halliwell, the legal firm which represents Ryder and Dutton, was one of those on the list who received a copy of the alleged notice on Saturday.

John Ainley, a senior partner in the firm, said: ¨"Fortunately, my clients’ long-standing reputation in the local property market meant that most people in the business community were sympathetic and also questioned the validity of the announcement.

"In other cases, it could have had disastrous consequences.

"Greater Manchester Police have been most helpful and hopefully the culprit will be traced and dealt with.

"However, it may be the law in this area needs to be looked at again so commercial sabotage of this nature can be dealt with swiftly and effectively."

He continued: "Initially, the notice appeared to have been sent from a firm of lawyers but I became suspicious when there was no trace of them in the Law Society register. It quickly became clear the notice was completely fictitious.

"We checked notices advertised in the London Gazette of Friday and found a notice for a different company which referred to solicitors at the same address as that on the fictitious notice – but the name of the solicitor and name of the firm had been slightly distorted.

"Clearly, the person concerned had copied the advert word for word but changed the name of the company to Ryder and Dutton and altered the names of the solicitor and firm.

"I have traced and spoken to the lawyers who represented a client involved in a completely different petition and they confirmed the case has absolutely nothing to do with Ryder and Dutton.

"The notice is purely malicious. The grounds for a winding-up petition do not exist and it is business as usual at Ryder and Dutton. We have called in police at a high level to investigate.

"Naturally, Ryder and Dutton are very concerned about the possible impact this could have on their business, particularly in the present financial climate.

"It would seem to have been sent in a most vindictive way by a person who may have a grudge against the company."

Concerned clients should contact Geoffrey Maybank, a director of Ryder and Dutton, on 0161 925 3241 or 07976 365328

Tonight's rarely wrong Chron jumps on the bandwagon with those hinting at player sales (my bold type).

Athletic hit by double whammy

Athletic news, by Tony Bugby

THE loss of two major sponsors will blow a huge hole in Athletic’s budget for the new season.

Hillstone Developments and Horners Motor Group have both entered into administration due to financial difficulties caused by the downturn in the economy.

And Athletic chief executive Alan Hardy admitted it is a worrying time for the Boundary Park club, especially as they have frozen admission prices for a third successive year.

He said: “There is a very difficult economic climate in the country and we have lost two major sponsors who have suffered financial problems and been forced to enter administration.

“It looks as though it is going to get tougher before it gets better and it is going to be a challenging period.

“We have held admission prices for a third year in a row so we are not getting more revenue through the turnstiles and we are also losing sponsorship.

“If that continues we will have to look at other ways of bringing in revenue.”

That suggests Athletic could have to reluctantly cash in by selling players.

Athletic’s owners currently budget to make an annual loss - it was about £400,000 before last season kicked off. But the sale of Neal Trotman and an FA Cup run helped the club’s finances.

Mr Hardy added that the owners cannot afford to increase losses and have to keep a check on the deficit.

Main club sponsors Hillstone Developments paid some of their sponsorship for the 2008/09 season before entering administration.

Some money - believed to be a sum well into five figures - is still to be paid and Athletic are resigned to losing that balance of the sponsorship.

Horners have sponsored Athletic for 10 years and currently have the main stand named after them in return for the provision of vehicles for staff.

That deal is worth up to £20,000 per year and Athletic will either have to find a new motor dealership as a sponsor or lease/ purchase vehicles themselves.

Mr Hardy paid tribute to both companies saying: “They have both been very good supporters of the football club for which we are very grateful. We are sorry to see them having financial difficulties which is a sign of the economy.

We will have to make sure our performances on the pitch are such that they attract more spectators to make up the shortfall, though the coming season will be a massive challenge.”

The stay-at-home fans will take the Chron's suggestion as gospel and sit back saying "I'm not goin' down there if they're selling more players!".

chron reports a loss of about 20,000 for horners is this really so big a loss that we will be forced to sell? fair enough we are making a loss but the sale of best players will only further decrease fans wanting to watch along with how the team does on the pitch

That deal is worth up to £20,000 per year and Athletic will either have to find a new motor dealership as a sponsor or lease/ purchase vehicles themselves.

We will have to make sure our performances on the pitch are such that they attract more spectators to make up the shortfall, though the coming season will be a massive challenge.” [/i]

The stay-at-home fans will take the Chron's suggestion as gospel and sit back saying "I'm not goin' down there if they're selling more players!".

All we need is 1000 of those stay-aways to turn up just once this Season and the drop in income will be neutralised.

That's just 50 extra per League game or thereabouts.

Hopefully, a new Sponsor can be found - and we can add to the average gate. That may give TTA a bit more of a warm feeling as they continue to dip their hands into their pockets to subsidise our Club. With the investment this closed season, they have been doing their bit and I can understand entirely why OAFC are looking for a bit of support from the local public.

For us, they are preaching to the converted but we can probably all do our bit to encourage those who have stopped going to turn up again once in a while.

chron reports a loss of about 20,000 for horners is this really so big a loss that we will be forced to sell? fair enough we are making a loss but the sale of best players will only further decrease fans wanting to watch along with how the team does on the pitch

That's not actual income. It's value to the club of lease deals on cars - so it could theoretically be made up in two ways:

another motor dealer being sourced for a similar deal

actual sponsorship of the naming rights to the main stand

Interestingly if the Horners deal was worth £20000, and we're short of , say, £50000 from Hillstones (and that's a guess, probably on the high side) then we're talking more in the realm of player wages rather than a Taylor or Eardley sale. Although the extra cash that would bring in would be useful.

That's not actual income. It's value to the club of lease deals on cars - so it could theoretically be made up in two ways:another motor dealer being sourced for a similar deal actual sponsorship of the naming rights to the main stand

Interestingly if the Horners deal was worth £20000, and we're short of , say, £50000 from Hillstones (and that's a guess, probably on the high side) then we're talking more in the realm of player wages rather than a Taylor or Eardley sale. Although the extra cash that would bring in would be useful.

I would imagine that including PAYE; Tax; Fringe benefits; Insurance etc, JP Kalala costs Latics considerably more than £70k per annum. I know it isn't increasing revenue but it certainly would be cost reduction particularly if Shez has no plans to play him.

If we can't offload him, then sending him out on loan would recoup some of that outlay. Same for Wolfy.

I'm sure the Club are already looking at this though!

That's why the rarely wrong Chron should not state:

"That suggests Athletic could have to reluctantly cash in by selling players."

The average reader goes away with the impression Alan Hardy has said that. If he had meant that, he would have said it.

The Chron claims to be a loyal partner of Latics, but in real terms it may well cost the Club more in loss of income through this and other unfounded speculation in the middle of an interview/Club statement, than it pays to the Club in its sponsorship/advertising deal.

I await BigFin's defence.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

That's why the rarely wrong Chron should not state:

"That suggests Athletic could have to reluctantly cash in by selling players."

The average reader goes away with the impression Alan Hardy has said that. If he had meant that, he would have said it.

The Chron claims to be a loyal partner of Latics, but in real terms it may well cost the Club more in loss of income through this and other unfounded speculation in the middle of an interview/Club statement, than it pays to the Club in its sponsorship/advertising deal.

I await BigFin's defence.

Spot on Diego. Those words in bold above did not appear on the OS yesterday when this news was broken. Unnecessary negative spin from an organ meant to be a loyal partner and supporter of Latics. How much better it would have been to read "this loss of income could be negated by getting just an extra 50 pay-on-the day fans through the turnstiles for each League game". Doesn't take much effort to be positive rather than negative. Then again, I think the Club could have made more effort as well. I suspect that the sale of either Taylor or Eardley is likely though and perhaps we are being "readied" for that eventuality.

As this thread shows, we can make up our own minds regarding the implications of Alan Hardy's comments. Generally speaking though, the people posting on here will make every effort to attend matches and wouldn't be put off by a simple statement whereas the casual Chron Reader could use the spin as a further reason to stay away.

Mike Yarwood is on holiday by the looks of things and we know that Tony Bugby doesn't share his enthusiasm for Latics.

It's obvious that a number of building contractors will be scaling back / going bust over the next 12 months or so (although after so many years of inflated house prices it makes you wonder where all the rich pickings went!).

It therefore strikes me that an opportunity will arise for the incorporation of a new building company, combining the collective talents of those people likely to be looking for new employment or the directions to the dole office.

This company would have a large contract for the commercial and residential development of, I don't know, Boundary Park for instance. Sub-contract and material prices would be successfully haggled with suppliers and manufacturers, desperate for business.

The development would grow slowly in line with confidence in the economy.

All that is needed is funding from a group of businessman who have dealt with recession before and come out at the other end stronger. Businessmen who's personal assets have been chosen wisely to protect against world economic downturns.

LaticsBuild Ltd, anyone?

If anyone would consider stopping going just because we sold Taylor or Eardley then that person is a prize :censored:.

but we have already established previously that we have a large percentage of prized twats as fans judging by the abuse deano, davies, eardley, taylor get. it may not be that selling is the reason to stay away but it may be the final straw. if that is the case then hopefully it is the final straw for those 'fans' who feel the need to verbally abuse the players.

Guest oa_exile

The reported £20K has theoretically already been clawed back with Gorrell departing.

This ongoing worry about Sponsors going bump etc is realistically making "Mountain's out of a mole hill".

If player(s) were sold on the strength of this then basically it's a load of bull:censored: :)

Edited by oa_exile

Like it or not, the average floating voter is far more likely to read the Bison than the Official site, so rather than have a bad rapport with the REarely Wrong, I think we need to build up on our PR in that respect.

I think the Chrons reporting of this type of thing is scandalous, and they know the impact, but they have a different agenda, and so it is up to club to resolve that.

I think that in general, this aspect is the only criticism I have of the TTA, they're stewardship of the club in excellent. I am sure it is not for the want of trying, just I'd like to know if the club see it is a problem.