First Black Player for Latics

Wonder what they call rednecks? B)

Rednecks love being rednecks these days. On a similar theme, I read a supposedly serious article the other day by some academic tart who was saying that the term, "chav," should be banned as it denigrates working class people. How very offensive to working class people.

It's old Army nicknames isn't it? Anyone called White would be Chalky, hence the irony of calling a black feller it. Unless I'm still drunk and making things up.

You probably are still drunk and making things up never the less drunk and correct on this occasion ;-)

actually it was chalkie not choccy - but it is all a throw back to another era!!!!

I mean the pc brigade do create issues but we can't seriously condone some of the old style racism - remember hostile leeds or rangers throwing bananas at mark walters - there's no place for any of it within an educated society

It wasn't Rangers fans who threw bananas at Walters - it was the vast majority of neathandarls at Celtc. Mark Walters is an ambassador and an absoulte legend for Rangers. During his debut for Rangers at Celtcs home ground, he was subjected to the worst racial abuse in British Sporting history. He was booed and monkey chants came from the celtc support, every time he touched the ball

Evidence of the abuse Walters got from Celtc fans (booos everytime he touched the ball from Celtic fans, and throwing bananas at him).

Edited by slurms mckenzie

I was going to say this for a laugh,Grovesy wasnt Black, Half caste,mixed race or qiuarter caste!!!!

Car Valentine was the first non white player I can remember.

Wasn't Chalkie (great player - i loved him) mixed race? That's why he was called chalkie wasn't it?

The world has changed, thankfully in cases like this.

It wasn't Rangers fans who threw bananas at Walters - it was the vast majority of neathandarls at Celtc. Mark Walters is an ambassador and an absoulte legend for Rangers. During his debut for Rangers at Celtcs home ground, he was subjected to the worst racial abuse in British Sporting history. He was booed and monkey chants came from the celtc support, every time he touched the ball

Evidence of the abuse Walters got from Celtc fans (booos everytime he touched the ball from Celtic fans, and throwing bananas at him).

What's a 'neathandarl' you cretin?

Walters would have got a similar reception if he was in a Celtic shirt at Ibrox. Don't kid yourself. Those were awful times. Thankfully some of us have moved on. Some haven't and still disgrace their country at every opportunity.

Edited by Guernica

Don't you think "vast majority" is overdoing it a little? There was some disgraceful banana throwing, but even on the video you supply as evidence there is a load of booing when Walters gets his first touch as a Hun, and quite rightly so, and very little that I could hear afterwards. He was also abused by his own supporters. I have been told that it was Rangers' cousins in Edinburgh who gave him the worst stick.

Don't you think "vast majority" is overdoing it a little? There was some disgraceful banana throwing, but even on the video you supply as evidence there is a load of booing when Walters gets his first touch as a Hun, and quite rightly so, and very little that I could hear afterwards. He was also abused by his own supporters. I have been told that it was Rangers' cousins in Edinburgh who gave him the worst stick.

That Henrik Larsson copped a load of stick at Parkhead as well. They really hated him.

That Henrik Larsson copped a load of stick at Parkhead as well. They really hated him.

He did smash dozens of fantastic goals against them though. Maybe that was why. Although it doesn't account for the horrific abuse Bobo Balde received from them every time.

i always thought at the time as a kid,he was called chalky cause he always seemed to have "chalk" or lime from the pitch markings all over him during games,but most noticably in his hair!

i hope thats the reason anyway!

Lol Johnny...I never had you down as that naive! :wink:

Wasn't Chalkie (great player - i loved him) mixed race? That's why he was called chalkie wasn't it?

The world has changed, thankfully in cases like this.

The world of TV used to have popular programmes such as these:

Love Thy Neighbour

'Til Death Us Do Part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOhXpmozpbE

By highlighting prejudice and bigotry which were openly commonplace, we have reached today's more balanced view of the many skins which go to make up the onion world in which we live.

Actually it was just vrap typing I mean't whilst at Rangers and got distracted....apologies for any confusion

Guest oa_exile

>>Where Are They Now?<<

Carl Valentine (1976-80) started as a 17 year old with the Latics, and the exciting young winger caught the eye of Vancouver Whitecaps' Tony Waiters, who signed him to help spark the club to a thrilling defeat of the New York Cosmos on their way to the club's first NASL championship. After a successful stint back in England with the West Brom Baggies, Carl returned to Canada and played for his new country (he became a citizen in 1983) in 1986, setting up the two Canadian goals on corner kicks to defeat Honduras 2-1 and move Canada for the first time ever into the finals of the World Cup. He was a solid performer for the Vancouver 86ers, scoring the first ever goal for the club, and sinking the first goal in the 1988 final during their powerhouse years as reigning CSL champions from 1988 to 1992, when he retired as a full time player. Carl continued as the Vancouver 86ers' player manager, retiring in 1999. Since then he has been coaching youth soccer in North Vancouver, helping to bring a new approach to youth soccer on the North Shore that combines professional coaching with a holistic approach to young athletes. Carl Valentine was elected to the Canadian Soccer League's Player Hall of Fame in 2003.