Starting XI - 3pm, August 9th

Can't believe it's only 4 days until season starts again. This may have been posted elsewhere so apologies for Titanic moment but who would be in your starting eleven plus subs? A packet of spangles for the nearest to the pin answer come 3pm.........................

GK - Crossley

LB - Lomax

CB - Hazell

CB - Gregan

RB - Eardley

LW - Phillips

CM - Whittaker

CM - Maher

RW - Taylor

ST - Davies

ST - O'Grady

Subs - Fleming, Stam, Allott, Smalley, Alessandra

Who's your choice?

Can't believe it's only 4 days until season starts again. This may have been posted elsewhere so apologies for Titanic moment but who would be in your starting eleven plus subs? A packet of spangles for the nearest to the pin answer come 3pm.........................

GK - Crossley

LB - Lomax

CB - Hazell

CB - Gregan

RB - Eardley

LW - Phillips

CM - Whittaker

CM - Maher

RW - Taylor

ST - Davies

ST - O'Grady

Subs - Fleming, Stam, Allott, Smalley, Alessandra

Who's your choice?

That would be my choice but switch Allot for Whitaker!

But I think Shez line up will be

GK - Crossley

LB - Taylor

CB - Hazell

CB - Gregan

RB - Eardley

LW - Phillips

CM - Allot

CM - Maher

RW - Liddell

ST - Davies

ST - O'Grady

Subs- Lewi Smalley Whitaker Fleming Stam

Then that leaves out. Hughes (of course his injury but im thinking squad size) Stephens, Lee , Wolfy , Thompson , Black,

Edited by razza699

Agree Liddell will start with either Taylor or Phillips at lb should he sign other wide left. I think Maher and Mark will be in the middle with Danny on the bench. O'Grady and Davies up top Eardley rb Gregan and Rueben in the middle.

I'll be very surprised if Liddell does start on Saturday, I can only see him being used from the bench in the main this season.

This is wot i think he'll do .....

..................................Crossley.............

Eardley..........Hazell.............Gregan...............Taylor

Liddell...........Allott..............Maher...............Whittaker

..................Davies...............O'Grady

Subs.

Lewis,Fleming,Smalley,Stephens,Stam

This is wot i'd play.....

.........................Fleming

Eardley............Hazell.............Gregan................Lomax

Taylor.............Allott..............Maher................Phillips

...............Davies..............O'Grady

Just reckon Phillips wont end up coming. Think Lids is almost certain for a start, but as almost all latics fans know there is only one player who shud be occupying the right wing. Lomax is doing an excellent job at LB ... seems Shez was convinced Kelvin can't defend this pre-season cos' of one performance against a Craig Fagn against Hull, w/o a LB signing this shud be the line-up given i'm wrong about demar.

I just can't see Liddell not starting with Shez drooling over him after Saturday.

...........................Crossley...........................

Eardley.........Gregan........Hazell..........Lomax

Liddell...........Maher.........Allott............Taylor

....................O'Grady.......Davies.................

Subs: Fleming, Stam, Lee, Whitaker, Smalley

Depends on Phillips coming I guess... Maybe it won't happen. If Shez is that worried about Lomax's defensive ability then he'll sign up some young, unproven left back from the leagues above and annoy Lomax.

We'll win 3-0 regardless of our team and then go on to win the league. Keep the faith...

This is wot i think he'll do .....

..................................Crossley.............

Eardley..........Hazell.............Gregan...............Taylor

Liddell...........Allott..............Maher...............Whittaker

..................Davies...............O'Grady

Subs.

Lewis,Fleming,Smalley,Stephens,Stam

This is wot i'd play.....

.........................Fleming

Eardley............Hazell.............Gregan................Lomax

Taylor.............Allott..............Maher................Phillips

...............Davies..............O'Grady

I agree eyres_28, although I'm happy with either Norm or Fleming in goal.

I really hope we don't start with Liddell right mid and Taylor either LB or LM, it'll show that we haven't filled in all the gaps from last season. The signing of Phillips could be crucial to that. Also does anyone know if Lee will be back for Saturday? I think he will eventually fill the LB position because of the logjam in centre midfield and even though I'm happy with Lomax in that position for now I only see him as a stop gap.

Also I can't seem to be able to buy the LW commentary from the OS for the whole season (not the whole LW package just the matchlive bit is what I want), anyone else having any problems doing so?

I just can't see Liddell not starting with Shez drooling over him after Saturday.

Subs: Fleming, Stam, Lee, Whitaker, Smalley

Depends on Phillips coming I guess... Maybe it won't happen. If Shez is that worried about Lomax's defensive ability then he'll sign up some young, unproven left back from the leagues above and annoy Lomax.

We'll win 3-0 regardless of our team and then go on to win the league. Keep the faith...

I atill think Allott and Maher are too similar, so that would open the door for Whitaker, however I'm sure Kieran Lee didn't sign to sit on the bench. I agree that Liddell is NAILED on to play on the right this Saturday. I hope i'm wrong but I don't think I will be. Back to Allott and Maher, Allott is best at breaking up attacks and camping out on the edge of either box. Maher is similar, but a better passer but does his main stuff in the middle third. What I do like about Whitaker is that he is prepared to get beyond the forwards, something neither Maher or Allott do. Whilst it'd be harsh to drop our hero from last season, there's no room for sentiment if you want a serious crack at promotion. So this would be my line-up:-

Crossley - Fleming has done nowt wrong, but Norm proved me wrong in the 2nd half of last season, he was superb and deserves to start the season as he has done well in pre-season.

Eardley- A given

Gregan- On his day the best centre-half in the league, despite what his growing army of detractors say.

Rubes - Perfect foil for Sean and has been impressive in pre-season

Black - Kelvin scares Shez, well grow some bollocks and give the one and out LB we have a chance to stake HIS claim.

Taylor - His cameos on the right in pre-season have shown the damage he can do IF unleashed in his favoured position

Maher - Gets the nod as he's a better passer than Ratman

Whitaker - Gets his chance due to Lee's lack of match practice, up to him to hold onto the shirt

Demar - Pace to burn, not convinced about his end product, but pace scares the living :censored: out of defences in this league, see Scunthorpe away in Jan '07

O'Grady - The one outstanding striker in pre-season, deserves his chance

Davies - Hope he ups the ante as he's looked disinterested and if there had been a little more application from Lewi he would've got my nod. Place hanging by a thread, but only imo.

So that's who i'd pick. However I'm convinced Shez will pick this team:-

Crossley

Eards

Greegs

Rubes

Kelv

Teflon Lidds

Maher

Ratman

Ginge

O'Grady

I wanna take the pen

for me the balance isn't right, but Shez succeeds or fails by his own hand, hard decisions to make Shez, have you got the balls to make them or are you going to continue to play it safe?

Guest oa_exile

From what I have seen pre-season and what everyone is posting here one thing is for sure , it will be 4-2-2 :)

As posted already it worries me that the "Problem" left sided area is still not cut and dried :(

Edited by oa_exile

Guest oa_exile
From what I have seen pre-season and what everyone is posting here one thing is for sure , it will be 4-2-2 :)

As posted already it worries me that the "Problem" left sided area is still not cut and dried :(

Is it taken as given that Demar Phillips will have signed for us by the weekend?

Exactly IF it does not come off then we are back to square one , no LB and no LW apart make shift options

If that is the case I would go 4-3-3 BUT we have not practised with Allott , Whitaker and Maher in the middle.

Edited by oa_exile

Guest oa_exile
Crikey Exile we will struggle then playing with 9 men. :wink::grin:

lol :grin:

I am from the era of 2-3-5 before all these fancy systems

Edited by oa_exile

I think it will be:

GK Fleming

DR Eardley

DL Lomax

DC Gregan

DC Hazell

MR Liddell

ML Phillips

MC Maher

MC Allott

ST Davies

ST O'Grady

Subs: Crossley, Stam, Whitaker, Smalley, Taylor.

I would have thought Lee would be left-back but isn't he still injured?

id pick:

crossley

eardley

hazell

gregan

lee/black if lee not fit

smalley

allott

stephens

phillips

davies

o'grady

subs: fleming stam maher taylor alessandra.

just think allott and maher are the same type of player and both aren't the quickest so we need some legs in there, so stephens in the middle for me.

I think it will be:

GK Fleming

DR Eardley

DL Lomax

DC Gregan

DC Hazell

MR Liddell

ML Phillips

MC Maher

MC Allott

ST Davies

ST O'Grady

Subs: Crossley, Stam, Whitaker, Smalley, Taylor.

I would have thought Lee would be left-back but isn't he still injured?

he playing some part tonight

id pick:

crossley

eardley

hazell

gregan

lee/black if lee not fit

smalley

allott

stephens

phillips

davies

o'grady

subs: fleming stam maher taylor alessandra.

just think allott and maher are the same type of player and both aren't the quickest so we need some legs in there, so stephens in the middle for me.

Stephens won't start on sat - he'll feature at some point this season, but not in the first game IMO

think this is what SHEZ will go for:

Swap Lomax for Phillips if he signs; and Taylor scaryly goes to LB - shez's potential team not mine!!!!

For me, Liddell goes nowhere near the starting X1 these days; purley a bench player in my eyes. Taylor has to start on the right, with Demar on the LM & either Kelv or Black @ LB.

O'Grady & Davis up top, with Smalley & Lewis unlucky to miss out, but game time together means Davis sneaks in with the certain starter of O'Grady.

Allott & Maher need work as a partnership, but i think its the "safe" bet at the moment; but we'll see what happens over the coming weeks - like others have said i think they're too similar, but that is where Whittaker comes into it i think, if its not working in a game, we now have serious options on the bench instead of kids.

good point there slystallone - id have maher and allott in there myself but just dont think they give us what we need in the middle, yes they can both pass and tackle well but we still need that player who will make runs/break away quickly. Hope Allott and Maher does work but im sure we'll see after 4 or 5 proper games if these two can get up and down the pitch and work effectively. Like you say if not then its one of allott and maher and another from lee stephens and whitaker, definately able to change things around this time!