Team Fitness

Watching the Latics World interview with Mark Crossley, he touched upon a great point which I consider intergral to our promising start to the season; Team fitness.

Our fitness levels, particularly towards the end of games has been nothing short of fantastic, which has brought back comparisons to Dowie's play-off team. The energy and tempo we've shown, whether it be coming back against Millwall and Colchester, or grinding out a result against Rochdale with a man short is exactly what we need to show if we're going to be serious promotion candidates.

Much of this is surely down to the new physio, bringing in his own regime, fitness plans and rehabilitation/injury prevention ideas. It just seems to me a very stark contrast to the last couple of seasons where we regularly switched off late on in games and simply burnt out at a crucial time in the season. Many times last season I cursed yet another late, late goal for DirtyLeeds but, and luck does play a part here, a good amount is because of superior fitness levels and moving up a gear as your opposition starts to sag.

We're never really going to go through injury-free all season, but as long as our fitness levels remain the same until May then I'm developing a good sense of burning optimism* right now.

It just goes to show that the recruitment of a first-rate physio is as important as any signing we've made over the summer.

* Also potentially known as 'pride comes before a fall'

yes i agree that the new physio is doing the trick and his regime is working.

i thought that the team were very strong under dowie and his fitness ideas,the players ran for the whole game and it showed in our position under him,then when he went so did the fitness,shez was in tempory charge and stopped all what dowie had been doing,and went back to old fashioned ways,then talbot and moore brought there own ideas,again very old fashioned and the team suffered.....

you could say that shez's first 2 seasons in charge have been fitness wise nightmares,and im guessing again that his reluctance to try new things and his stubborness didnt help....so i am amazed he brought in this new guy and basically let him get on with it and sorted out new ideas and a new way of thinking,if we go up this season that will be shez's biggest achievment,finally realising he needed to change things for the better,and actually doing something about it.

we know he is more than capable of getting the right players to play the right way,but the rest was decidely iffy to say the least.

yes i agree that the new physio is doing the trick and his regime is working.

i thought that the team were very strong under dowie and his fitness ideas,the players ran for the whole game and it showed in our position under him,then when he went so did the fitness,shez was in tempory charge and stopped all what dowie had been doing,and went back to old fashioned ways,then talbot and moore brought there own ideas,again very old fashioned and the team suffered.....

you could say that shez's first 2 seasons in charge have been fitness wise nightmares,and im guessing again that his reluctance to try new things and his stubborness didnt help....so i am amazed he brought in this new guy and basically let him get on with it and sorted out new ideas and a new way of thinking,if we go up this season that will be shez's biggest achievment,finally realising he needed to change things for the better,and actually doing something about it.

we know he is more than capable of getting the right players to play the right way,but the rest was decidely iffy to say the least.

It was John Harbin who was fitess coach under Dowie.