Suggestion for fans that cant always make it to BP

Right im not too sure how this suggestion will go down but its worth a try.

As stated in an earlier post from me i was supposed to be going to hull for the weekend to see a mate but have since changed plans to make sure i get down to BP to help get somewhere close to the target of 6,000. Now this is costing me an additional £40 in train fares which the club wont make anything from but does sting me in the pocket. How viable would it be to set up a matchday donation scheme where exiled fans or fans that would normally go but cant make it could pay into???????

If this was available i would certainly pay my £18 for my ticket into this donation scheme if i couldnt make it. Now either i am just mad or would there be other exiles who would be willing to do this to help the club out on matchdays?

Over the years this may not have worked as the whole purpose of this is to create revenue to keep the exciting squad we have built together. In past years there wasnt a great deal to keep together but we really are on the verge of something very special in my opinion. Surely all these fans we have based down south who generally only buy away tickets would be interested in investing in such a scheme?????

Would be interesting to hear what people think about this

Chris

So fans pay, even when they don't go? That's a serious challenge, I'm just making sure I've not missed anything! :lol:

It certainly is a different slant, but I'm not too sure that it would work...

I love the club.

But not THAT much where I pay when I don't go.

Reckon you have lost your marbles cab!!!!!!

This is where things like the Lottery come in.

In fact , that reminds me, I certainly was a bit indifferent when it was shared between other clubs, and it seems to have gone quiet, what is the latest on that?

Edited by singe

If this was available i would certainly pay my £18 for my ticket into this donation scheme if i couldnt make it. Now either i am just mad or would there be other exiles who would be willing to do this to help the club out on matchdays?

Over the years this may not have worked as the whole purpose of this is to create revenue to keep the exciting squad we have built together. In past years there wasnt a great deal to keep together but we really are on the verge of something very special in my opinion. Surely all these fans we have based down south who generally only buy away tickets would be interested in investing in such a scheme?????

:shock::huh::blink::wacko::lol:

Sorry Cab - but I think i echo singe exactly!

I bloody love the club, and the amount of my harded earned money that has been ploughed in there, and on travel to see them, is hughe - however the concept of paying when I dont go is just, well, ridiculous!

Now, dont get me wrong, in different circumstances of course I would be willing to dip in my pocket, ie if we are heading tot the wall again, or even if they said 'if we dont get £100k by end of the month we will sell taylor and hughes" but to just pay for not turning up... well it just aint going to happen!

I still think there are other more realistic options - ie. a 10 match mini season ticket which will increase revenue from exiles - or even how about a new membership scheme - where we pay £30-£50 odd a season to get dibs on match tickets quicker for big games..... Money is never the issue stopping me going to Latics but to just throw money in the pot is unreal!

Also - why are you picking on the exiles? Surely the stay at homes who live in oldham and just cant be bothered turning up are more 'to blame' (if anyone is) than someone who ahs to pay £100 for the round trip...

Finally - are you Simon Corney? :tongue1:

Edited by BigfinLatic

:shock::huh::blink::wacko::lol:

Sorry Cab - but I think i echo singe exactly!

I bloody love the club, and the amount of my harded earned money that has been ploughed in there, and on travel to see them, is hughe - however the concept of paying when I dont go is just, well, ridiculous!

Now, dont get me wrong, in different circumstances of course I would be willing to dip in my pocket, ie if we are heading tot the wall again, or even if they said 'if we dont get £100k by end of the month we will sell taylor and hughes" but to just pay for not turning up... well it just aint going to happen!

I still think there are other more realistic options - ie. a 10 match mini season ticket which will increase revenue from exiles - or even how about a new membership scheme - where we pay £30-£50 odd a season to get dibs on match tickets quicker for big games..... Money is never the issue stopping me going to Latics but to just throw money in the pot is unreal!

Also - why are you picking on the exiles? Surely the stay at homes who live in oldham and just cant be bothered turning up are more 'to blame' (if anyone is) than someone who ahs to pay £100 for the round trip...

Finally - are you Simon Corney? :tongue1:

At which point did i pick on exiles???????????? The exile bit wasnt that they dont want to go to home games its that they possibly cant awlays afford the train fares so normally end up going to local away games instead hence the club dont make any money.

The point i was trying making here was that for me to go on saturday its costing me an extra £40 in train fares but there is no way i wouldnt go when the club are pleading for support the way they are. The whole purpose of such a scheme was to hopefully generate enough money to not have to sell a player such as Tay in january which would be some way funded by fans who cant get to home games (our main revenue stream). With family who live in NZ who are oldham mad i know for a fact they dont put anything into the club in a financial way at present but may well if something was in place. I personally feel everything has to be geared towards keeping this squad together but without. Maybe the whole matchday ticket when not attending is a none starter but i think we have to try and come up with something before january.

I have said this before and im sure i will say it again when we were in the Prem we had 5 season tickets in my household now we have zero. Now that isnt that they dot love the club anymore there are various different reasons most related to cost of getting to home match's i.e. traveling from bristol, NZ etc. I just wish i could think of way of getting them to dip their hands in their pockets. There must be 100's if not 1000's in this position

Ok mate! Not having a go!

At which point did i pick on exiles???????????? The exile bit wasnt that they dont want to go to home games its that they possibly cant awlays afford the train fares so normally end up going to local away games instead hence the club dont make any money.

Err...

How viable would it be to set up a matchday donation scheme where exiled fans .... Surely all these fans we have based down south who generally only buy away tickets would be interested in investing in such a scheme?????

There....

I have said this before and im sure i will say it again when we were in the Prem we had 5 season tickets in my household now we have zero. Now that isnt that they dot love the club anymore there are various different reasons most related to cost of getting to home match's i.e. traveling from bristol, NZ etc. I just wish i could think of way of getting them to dip their hands in their pockets. There must be 100's if not 1000's in this position

Unfortunately, you ahve to give some sort of value for any donation... lottery, gift, gimmick etc... as stated for me, i'd love to see some sort of membership scheme introduced - say £30 a year, access to tickets after ST's but before general public, 10% Reduction on items from the club shop, Brirthday gcard from Shez etc... whatever... I know we have this clubcard thing but its pretty pointless....

As you rightly say there are thousands.... you can do things, but the stay-away at Oldham are a bigger issue...

The point i was trying making here was that for me to go on saturday its costing me an extra £40 in train fares but there is no way i wouldnt go when the club are pleading for support the way they are. The whole purpose of such a scheme was to hopefully generate enough money to not have to sell a player such as Tay in january which would be some way funded by fans who cant get to home games (our main revenue stream). With family who live in NZ who are oldham mad i know for a fact they dont put anything into the club in a financial way at present but may well if something was in place. I personally feel everything has to be geared towards keeping this squad together but without. Maybe the whole matchday ticket when not attending is a none starter but i think we have to try and come up with something before january.

:nnnng: My brain is capsizing!

What you are suggesting here is along the same lines as war savings bonds? They won't be used to control inflation of course, but they will be used to stablise OAFC's economy. No maybe not on second thoughts, oh I don't know. I can't get my head around it.

Hang on, so it'll be like a Charity?

Hang on, so it'll be like a Charity?

There you go Rummy... instead of helping the needy in africa we will be helping the needy in Oldham's boardroom... getting that warm fuzzy feeling inside...

Some of my biggest clients in my line of work are charities, and most of them are screwed as people are cancelling donations left right and centre - the first thing that goes in an economic downturn are peoples donations to good causes.... unfortunately this defo is not the time to ask people to just pay for nothing....

Let me say from the outset I can't afford to donate any more money, what with following Latics home and away, buying stuff in the shop and Mrs. S. being in the Lottery. However, I don't blame Cab for making the suggestion, on the basis that everything is worth considering.

As readers know I'm a member of MyFootballClub and there is a similar suggestion under consideration at the moment. I realise it's different because all its members are co-owners of the Club and have equal voting rights, but I thought I'd explain how it works.

When Ebbsfleet United needed a £20,000 transfer budget, members were invited to donate through the website over a short period and the fund was raised. From that experience of the mechanics of donating, this is how the new proposal will work:

A donate button would be located in the MyFC shop area of the website, a selection of four different donations would be possible:

1) General MyFC finances

2) Youth team

3) Away trip travel and accommodation

4) Ground repairs and improvement

A real time cash counter could be incorporated into this area to enable members to keep up to date with the current totals.

At four points throughout the year (Feb, May, Aug, Nov) the cash situation would be evaluated if enough funds were available the members would utilise this money at their discretion, with the exception of option 1, which will go straight to the MyFc membership fund.

Every 2-3 weeks the donation area could be highlighted in MyFC daily news email.

It is not expected that a millionaire member will donate hundreds of thousands of pounds, but this facility will enable willing members to contribute no matter how little or how often.

I would add that, apart from my annual membership fee and buying a t-shirt, I do not donate to MyFC, as I cannot afford it.

This is where things like the Lottery come in.

In fact , that reminds me, I certainly was a bit indifferent when it was shared between other clubs, and it seems to have gone quiet, what is the latest on that?

The lottery is no longer connected with any other club and has been relaunched as the Latics Lotto.

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16308&hl=lotto

This is an excellent way of putting money into the Club, with a chance of winning some back to spend on ......er......tickets for home matches or stuff in the club shop.

Ebbsfleet United has over 30K members, so just in annual membership fees alone they raise over a million.

If Latics had 30K fans, we wouldnt need threads like this.

I appreciate that, but there are many thousands of stay-aways in Oldham who claim to be Latics fans. It's their money that is needed.

Hadnt thought about joining the lottery. Anyone got a link for it????

In my defence you will see my 1st post was about 11.30pm so maybe it was about time i went to bed at that time rather than thinking of ways to keep this squad together.

Anyway we wont need my silly idea when 8,000 tics turn up on saturday will we :wink:

Simple really - buy a ticket for someone you know back home who doesn't go much (or at all). Maybe pick on someone with a young kid, try and capture them that way.

Good idea in theory but im not from oldham got introduced to the mighty from the number 1 fan at the time and even he doesnt go anymore after following them everywhere in the world.

I live in preston but from cleveleys originally. I pay quite a few of my 'premiership following' mates in throughout the season and they do enjoy it everyime they come. Think we all need to try to bring as many mates as possible through the gates although be a lot a better if we didnt have to pay them in.

Good idea in theory but im not from oldham got introduced to the mighty from the number 1 fan at the time and even he doesnt go anymore after following them everywhere in the world.

I live in preston but from cleveleys originally. I pay quite a few of my 'premiership following' mates in throughout the season and they do enjoy it everyime they come. Think we all need to try to bring as many mates as possible through the gates although be a lot a better if we didnt have to pay them in.

It's a cross we have to bear - I'm due to meet one of the :oasissign1: in 5 hours time to go and get a half hour tube journey to meet a couple of other :oasissign1: to drive up. I might be sober come Tuesday morning :wink:

We'd better win :latics:

I think there are a few options here.

Personally I'm far too selfish to give my money away but:

1) You could buy a season ticket - thus if you miss games you have already made your contribution

2) Rather than donating directly to the club, is this something that the Supporters Trust could drive?

http://www.keep-the-faith.co.uk/default.aspx

Just strikes me as a better home for this sort of money than providing a direct subsidy for players' wages - at least then the club only get the money as and when the Trust sees fit and for purposes that the Trust sees as appropriate for supporters

Examples for me would be:

1) Digging the club out of a short term financial hole with an interest free loan should this ever be needed

2) Improving fans facilities (e.g. wheelchair views not blocked by supporters standing up in front)

3) Betting shop in the RRE (!!)

4) Wider turnstiles in the RRE for ladies and gentlemen of a stouter nature

5) Subsidising marketing activity aimed at growing the fan base.

It's a cross we have to bear - I'm due to meet one of the :oasissign1: in 5 hours time to go and get a half hour tube journey to meet a couple of other :oasissign1: to drive up. I might be sober come Tuesday morning :wink:

We'd better win :latics:

i take my hat off to you all. that is mighty impressive.

Really hope we get a decent turnout today and a good result to go with it

Ok, donations are not gonna work.

How about a DVD subscription for exiles / stay aways. A DVD for every game posted out within 48 hrs (depending on tv rights rules) for say £5 a game? Or maybe a bit less?

Also how about making "teamcard" an option for ANY latics supporter, with an annual sub of £10 but with that including an end of season highlights DVD. This would be a way of linking the stay aways back to the club whilst guaranteeing a set number of DVD sales. You could then link membership to other discounts on multiple ticket purchases, e.g buy tickets for 2 games for £34, 3 games for £50, 4 games for £64. A potential saving of £16 over matchday prices.

??

• 1 month later...
Right im not too sure how this suggestion will go down but its worth a try.

As stated in an earlier post from me i was supposed to be going to hull for the weekend to see a mate but have since changed plans to make sure i get down to BP to help get somewhere close to the target of 6,000. Now this is costing me an additional £40 in train fares which the club wont make anything from but does sting me in the pocket. How viable would it be to set up a matchday donation scheme where exiled fans or fans that would normally go but cant make it could pay into???????

Would be interesting to hear what people think about this

Chris

I've resurrected the cabjones post to report that, thanks to a successful member proposal, MyFootballClub (Ebbsfleet United) has decided that members can now purchase Virtual Tickets for Stonebridge Road. Virtual Tickets will be donated to good causes, such as disadvantaged children who cannot afford admittance. Members can purchase as many Virtual Tickets as they wish and they will be added to the bank of tickets to be donated. These tickets do not expire and will carry over to the next season should any be unused in the current season.

Is this a way of those supporters, who wish to put money into Latics ,doing so and getting more bums on seats, with the hope that the beneficiaries might become the supporters of the future when they're older and able to afford it?