Byrne or Stam?

Who is likely to replace our fabulous captain, who we are extremely lucky to have, this Saturday, and for the Stockport and Hereford games?

It could be a tough decision for Shez but I think he will plump for Byrne. Tough on a fit again Stambo though....can't imagine he will be too happy. I haven't seen Byrne play yet, could it be a 'horses for courses' decision? Who is the better passer? A lot of our good play at home has stemmed from Greegs passing the ball out of defence, something Stefan does well when he is on form. I (stereotypically yes) assume Byrne is quick? Because Keigan Parker is.....

NB. The above is based on the assumption that 'Thommo' will be overlooked.

Would be Stam for me who when fit is a good player. All our CB's make mistakes...it's why they're with us. Ala Gregan who had a quality 1st half on Sat then a very poor 2nd. Difference is, people forget his mistakes or Hazells much easier than Stams. Simply put, Stam has his fan club and also has his "not good" enough club...and it'll be that which makes peoples mind up regardless of who has seen Byrne play and who hasn't. Byrne looked very capable on Saturday but for me, he's behind Stam who is more than able. The pecking order is Gregan, Hazell, Stam, Byrne........Tho(won't go there)....but I reckon Shez will play Byrne above Stam. Just got that feeling.

Would be Stam for me who when fit is a good player. All our CB's make mistakes...it's why they're with us. Ala Gregan who had a quality 1st half on Sat then a very poor 2nd. Difference is, people forget his mistakes or Hazells much easier than Stams. Simply put, Stam has his fan club and also has his "not good" enough club...and it'll be that which makes peoples mind up regardless of who has seen Byrne play and who hasn't. Byrne looked very capable on Saturday but for me, he's behind Stam who is more than able. The pecking order is Gregan, Hazell, Stam, Byrne........Tho(won't go there)....but I reckon Shez will play Byrne above Stam. Just got that feeling.

I'd say that depends on how well Stambo has recovered from his thigh/groin strain or whatever it was. Was he on the bench with Byrne on Sat?

Who is likely to replace our fabulous captain, who we are extremely lucky to have, this Saturday, and for the Stockport and Hereford games?

It could be a tough decision for Shez but I think he will plump for Byrne. Tough on a fit again Stambo though....can't imagine he will be too happy. I haven't seen Byrne play yet, could it be a 'horses for courses' decision? Who is the better passer? A lot of our good play at home has stemmed from Greegs passing the ball out of defence, something Stefan does well when he is on form. I (stereotypically yes) assume Byrne is quick? Because Keigan Parker is.....

NB. The above is based on the assumption that 'Thommo' will be overlooked.

What a shame Gregan wont get to face Parker again:(

Got to be Bryne for me ... Stammy didn't look his old self in pre-season or against Burnley - losing Greegs is a big loss and will say a lot about our squad as we will lose the big players (Greegs, Hughes, Taylor) at times this season, and we need to continue picking up the points ... lets hope Hudds comeback on Sat wasn't a sign of things to come

OH WHEN THE BLUES !!!!

Got to be Bryne for me ... Stammy didn't look his old self in pre-season or against Burnley - losing Greegs is a big loss and will say a lot about our squad as we will lose the big players (Greegs, Hughes, Taylor) at times this season, and we need to continue picking up the points ... lets hope Hudds comeback on Sat wasn't a sign of things to come

OH WHEN THE BLUES !!!!

i think the way shez is talking at present it will be byrne on saturday,with maybe stam on the bench.....

dependant on performance considering he is only here for an initial month,if he does well then he has seized his chance,if he doesnt and has a mare then stam should get a look in.

i dont think stam is as good or as bad as people make out,he does lose concentration but to me he is just an average defender,or a squad player.

As mentioned above i'm very much in the 'stam isnt good enough' brigade... gives me heart attacks every time he plays, his positioning is terrible, he isnt strong enough, and people generally only think he is any good when he has sonmeone mopping up his mistakes... his passing is also worse than gregan or hazel...

... sounds pretty harsh, but just think against the strength of Booth and pace of Parker he will get battered... Byrne looks a strong quick player, like to see him given a shot... dont need subtlety when playing against Andy Booth.... and the Dons fans seemed to indicate he is a decent centre back, just a bit dodge with his distribution... all we need until the big G is back...

Anyone know if Trotman is available on loan? :wink:

As mentioned above i'm very much in the 'stam isnt good enough' brigade... gives me heart attacks every time he plays, his positioning is terrible, he isnt strong enough, and people generally only think he is any good when he has sonmeone mopping up his mistakes... his passing is also worse than gregan or hazel...

... sounds pretty harsh, but just think against the strength of Booth and pace of Parker he will get battered... Byrne looks a strong quick player, like to see him given a shot... dont need subtlety when playing against Andy Booth.... and the Dons fans seemed to indicate he is a decent centre back, just a bit dodge with his distribution... all we need until the big G is back...

Anyone know if Trotman is available on loan? :wink:

i dont really mind with this, they both have something tp prove if they want to stake a claim for a permanent spot, this is their chance

Stammy didn't look his old self in pre-season

Did any of our defence? Gregan included?

or against Burnley

His first start after sitting in the reserves (I say sitting, coz he wasn't playing as was none of them) and having no match fitness at all. Like Maher that day. Yeah, judge him, but do it fairly...like on last season. I don't think under the circumstances Stams played in, neither he, nor Gregan, nor Byrne nor even most defenders would've been able to perform anywhere near their ability this season. As for last season, he did have a dip in form but still did well enough for me. BigFin can say he makes him panic but if Gregan doesn't also make you panic at times, then there's a hint of bias going on.

Edited by boundaryblue80