Playing with two wingers away from home

So... once again Shez surprises me with a recall for Smalley and a start for Ormerod last night.

Smalley first - he stuck to the line well and a lot of the play went through him - though he rarely went past his man, he did get a few crosses into the box and had a reasonable game.

Ormerod - looked like he had some skill bit still lacking sharpness - touch let him down but that will come back - only thing that did worry me is he is a bit lightweight and seemed to be knocked off the ball easily - maybe that is just a temporary thing.

The question is - can we play with two wingers away from home? Would it be better to have that third midfielder and allow the fullback to bomb on? At home the two winger tactic seems to work well - but maybe a time for a rethink on our travels?

One final thing - the statistics from last night:

Gas versus Latics

6 Goal Attempts 14

3 On Target 7

3 Off Target 7

0 Hit Woodwork 0

4 Offsides 1

6 Corners 11

14 Fouls 15

If we had scored one, I'm convinced we would have scored more :blink:

Edited by TheBigDog

--------------------Crossley-----------------------------

---Eardley----Gregan-----Rubes-------Byrne/Jones--

--------------Maher----Allott----Whitaker--------

----Lidds/Smalley-------------------------Taylor---

------------------------Hughes---------------------

Don't need the second striker up front, as most of our link up play is with the out wide players and not the second striker. And when Davies plays he usually drifts out wide anyway rather than stay in the middle making the whole reason of playing two up top redundant. Hughes can hold the ball up, turn with it and run at defenders and given the amount of support he gets from Taylor, Lidds and Whitaker I don't think he'd miss another striker playing along side him. That also gives us the solid midfield and the usual defence. I'd play that formation away, definitely.

I think the problem is the lack of support from the FB's to the wingers....painfully evident in the 1st half and once we addressed that in the 2nd we were far better for it. We were getting the ball in the middle, during the first 45, then turning back and playing it to the FB and they never went forward with it. Or if they did, there was nobody to pass it to and just meant we lumped it forward. It works both ways though, Taylor should've offered to drop back for Jones to overlap but never did in the 1st half (don't think we can say that about the right side as I wouldn't be comfortable with Smalley and Lomax playing the overlap game). As I say though, this all changed in the 2nd half and we improved due to it.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Don't need the second striker up front, as most of our link up play is with the out wide players and not the second striker. And when Davies plays he usually drifts out wide anyway rather than stay in the middle making the whole reason of playing two up top redundant. Hughes can hold the ball up, turn with it and run at defenders and given the amount of support he gets from Taylor, Lidds and Whitaker I don't think he'd miss another striker playing along side him. That also gives us the solid midfield and the usual defence. I'd play that formation away, definitely.

The key to that formation is the role of the supporting players - Taylor does get into the box often and Whittaker has a mean shot on him - by playing an extra midfielder it would allow Whittaker to get much further forward.

I'd agree that could possibly have worked last night...but it wouldn't have at Leeds or Tranmere etc...so I wouldn't say it's a case of one formation at home and one away from home. I was calling for 3 upfront for most of the 2nd half last night...which could've incorporated what you've put there. To break them down, we needed sustained pressure and 2 upfront wasn't giving us that...when we threw the kitchen sink at it, they rattled and we deserved a goal. Was one of those nights where it just wouldn't happen for us though.

Ive said it once, after Stockport i think it is, i`d like us to play 4-4-1-1, something like:

Crossley

Lomax

Greegs

Hazell

Byrne

Taylor (rw)

Jones (lw)

Allott

Maher/Whittaker

Whittaker/Liddell (just behind Hughes)

Hughes

With that formation youve got the wingers, but also it can turn into a 5 man midfield, with the man behind Hughes stopping the play between there defence and midfield. When weve got the ball the wingers and man behind the ball can provide support for Hughes, or whoever plays up there.

The problem with the 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 whatever you want to call it, is we tend to miss the wingers out and just hoof it long, which is what happened at Burnley for long periods.

Gas versus Latics

6 Goal Attempts 14

3 On Target 7

3 Off Target 7

0 Hit Woodwork 0

4 Offsides 1

6 Corners 11

14 Fouls 15

for me. those statistics answers your original question as an emphatic yes.

A change in the middle is needed at the moment, thats all. Given Danny W is scoring maybe it's time to give Maher a run (would prefer Lee) in place of Allott.

I'd not be against that. Just to give A.Lot a rest and see what Maher or Lee could offer us. Even a poorer A.Lot performance is usually half decent...but he's not been the same player as last season so far. He seems to have inherited a little of what I criticised Lids for last season...that pass backwards that stops our forward momentums. If we've got the chance to change things and try something a little different, I'd say give it a whirl. Maybe that'll be Shez's next surprise switch for Swindon.

I'd not be against that. Just to give A.Lot a rest and see what Maher or Lee could offer us. Even a poorer A.Lot performance is usually half decent...but he's not been the same player as last season so far. He seems to have inherited a little of what I criticised Lids for last season...that pass backwards that stops our forward momentums. If we've got the chance to change things and try something a little different, I'd say give it a whirl. Maybe that'll be Shez's next surprise switch for Swindon.

It's an interesting time for us now really after 1 win in 6, having the strongest squad of players we've probably had for a number of years, It'll now be good to see if it is that strong, when lads come in and fight for their place (ala Smalley, Eardley, Davies/Alles, Maher, Lee etc)

Edited by futchers briefs

So... once again Shez surprises me with a recall for Smalley and a start for Ormerod last night.

Smalley first - he stuck to the line well and a lot of the play went through him - though he rarely went past his man, he did get a few crosses into the box and had a reasonable game.

Ormerod - looked like he had some skill bit still lacking sharpness - touch let him down but that will come back - only thing that did worry me is he is a bit lightweight and seemed to be knocked off the ball easily - maybe that is just a temporary thing.

The question is - can we play with two wingers away from home? Would it be better to have that third midfielder and allow the fullback to bomb on? At home the two winger tactic seems to work well - but maybe a time for a rethink on our travels?

Gas versus Latics

6 Goal Attempts 14

3 On Target 7

3 Off Target 7

0 Hit Woodwork 0

4 Offsides 1

6 Corners 11

14 Fouls 15

Two wingers away from home could work if they tracked back and tucked in out of possession which we didnt do last night. But what was the point last night? Taylor had his own pitch but we didnt give him the ball.

Away from home in certain games like bristol and swindon and other teams like this i would play this team.

Crossley

Gregan Hazzell Jones

Eardley Allott Maher Taylor

Davies Whitaker

Hughes

That way we can have Allott and Maher holding the midfield line and protecting the back 3

Eardley bombing back and forward from the right wing position aswell as Taylor on left with Whitaker and Davies Helping Hughes aswell as coming back to defend when needed.

Maybe the time to try Eardley again in midfield, where he did so well at the end of last season.

Can't see that one working :wink:

I don't know how far psychology works in these things - will other sides open up more against us if we sit back, especially away from home? If so it might be worth going conservatively against them. But in general I think we are on the right lines trying to batter everyone. It will lose us games but I feel over the season it's worth gambling for the 3 for a win more than 1 for a draw.

A change in the middle is needed at the moment, thats all. Given Danny W is scoring maybe it's time to give Maher a run (would prefer Lee) in place of Allott.

No Way, Maher is not up to standard yet..seen him for the reserves and he looks average, why mess up a central midfield that working.

----------Crossley----------

Eards--Hazell--Greeg--Jones

----Smalley--Allot---Taylor

-----------Whitaker------------

----Hughes-----Lewi---------

It's always tempting to play players who do well from deep further up the pitch, but sometimes it misses the fact that they did well coming from deep. Jones murdered Hereford from full back, so move him to winger - Whitaker scores loads from CM, so push him up behind the forwards. Some would even see Eardley played in central midfield :wink: Sometimes it's best to leave things where they are working well, and maybe tinker where they aren't

No Way, Maher is not up to standard yet..seen him for the reserves and he looks average, why mess up a central midfield that working.

----------Crossley----------

Eards--Hazell--Greeg--Jones

----Smalley--Allot---Taylor

-----------Whitaker------------

----Hughes-----Lewi---------

One win in six suggests something isn't working, everywhere else has seen changes (apart from the keeper), it really could be as simple as changing the midfield.