Allesandra..........

In my opinion tonight Allesandra put in the best performance by a centre forward in years at BP. He was truely awesome today! From the first minute his control and link up play was first class!! Keep it up fella!!

That second goal was premiership standard!!

Could have been a different game tonight had they scored that header that hit the bar, but well done we kept at them played at our pace dictated the game from the off and in the end 3-0 flattered them it could and should have been at least 5!!!

Thought Gregan played like a true captain tonight aswell!!!

Lets back the hard work up with a win on Saturday!

KEEP THE FAITH

In my opinion tonight Allesandra put in the best performance by a centre forward in years at BP. He was truely awesome today! From the first minute his control and link up play was first class!! Keep it up fella!!

That second goal was premiership standard!!

Could have been a different game tonight had they scored that header that hit the bar, but well done we kept at them played at our pace dictated the game from the off and in the end 3-0 flattered them it could and should have been at least 5!!!

Thought Gregan played like a true captain tonight aswell!!!

Lets back the hard work up with a win on Saturday!

KEEP THE FAITH

Agree with most of that bar the Gregan bit...he was terrible in the 1st half. Out of position constantly, heading the ball directly up into the air a number of times and if he did get direction on it, it went straight to a Claret shirt. Only once we got the 2nd goal and they looked beaten did Gregan command. But sorry, you watched a different player tonight if you think that was a good performance from him. We were very lucky not to concede...but sometimes you need that bit of luck to become winners. Including Gregan who will get his form back, I'm certain of it. Tonight though, wasn't anywhere near his best though.

Agree with most of that bar the Gregan bit...he was terrible in the 1st half. Out of position constantly, heading the ball directly up into the air a number of times and if he did get direction on it, it went straight to a Claret shirt. Only once we got the 2nd goal and they looked beaten did Gregan command. But sorry, you watched a different player tonight if you think that was a good performance from him. We were very lucky not to concede...but sometimes you need that bit of luck to become winners. Including Gregan who will get his form back, I'm certain of it. Tonight though, wasn't anywhere near his best though.

Like you say, he only looked commanding once the 2nd goal went in but it was bloody nice to see!

strong skillfull brilliant player!!!

just a quick thing about gregan... what was he doing when the 2nd goal went in seemed to do something towards the rre like one of those bad a**e walks with a smug face maybe he was looking at the crowd or was he geting stick and just giving it back because rrruuubbbeeessss had a word in his ear???

anyone know i didnt hear anything tho!!!!!!

strong skillfull brilliant player!!!

just a quick thing about gregan... what was he doing when the 2nd goal went in seemed to do something towards the rre like one of those bad a**e walks with a smug face maybe he was looking at the crowd or was he geting stick and just giving it back because rrruuubbbeeessss had a word in his ear???

anyone know i didnt hear anything tho!!!!!!

Lewis third was world class! such an amazing pass from Eardley.........

I need exitement oh i need it bad

And its the best, i've ever had

Tonight's rarely wrong Chron sings his praises:

Teenage kicks

Reporter: by MICHAEL YARWOOD at Boundary Park

Date online: 29/10/2008

Oldham Athletic 3, Scunthorpe 0

WAY back in the mists of time — actually it was just under two years ago, but you can’t beat a bit of theatre — Lewis Alessandra scored a memorable hat-trick for Athletic’s youth team.

It was a stunning and high-class affair in the FA Youth Cup, involving three superb finishes which highlighted the quality in his game.

The potential has always been obvious and, before last night, Alessandra had shown glimpses of carrying that talent through to senior level.

Now he has made the king of all breakthroughs, with his treble against League One leaders Scunthorpe crowning a remarkable performance from an Athletic team about whom questions were being asked.

John Sheridan’s men were sensational and would not have been remotely flattered by double the scoreline against a Scunthorpe side who rolled into town with nine wins and two draws from their last 11 matches.

Scunthorpe played some very good stuff in the first half, but they were blown away once Alessandra — 19 years old and back in the team after being dropped altogether for Saturday’s big let-down at Swindon — had opened up a 2-0 lead.

What a response Athletic found to consecutive away defeats, and what a home record they have been building throughout this season.

It’s now 17 points from seven games, with 19 goals scored and only five conceded. The latter figure could have been pushed much higher last night, but Lee Hughes did everything except score, Chris Taylor hit the post and ’keeper Joe Murphy was Scunthorpe’s best performer.

Alessandra, however, stole the show, taking his tally to four this term and also displaying impressive technique with his link-up and hold-up play.

Athletic manager Sheridan said: “Lewi will get the limelight, and so he should because his all-round game was excellent.

“I thought both he and Lee Hughes caused Scunthorpe massive problems, and I’m really pleased for Lewi because strikers are judged on goals.

“Of the strikers we’ve got he’s the best at dealing with the ball into his feet. He’s a young lad who frustrates me at times, but he can do things like a Premier League player.

“I’ve left him out once or twice because he was short of goals, but I hope he can get that consistency into his game.

“He was a bit fortunate to get a deflection for his first, but it was good to see him having a shot from that sort of distance.

“He scored his second with excellent movement and the third was a brilliant strike — that’s the sort of performance he can give you.”

Athletic’s belief was in no way affected by their run of one victory in seven outings. They were a menace all night and Scunthorpe just couldn’t handle the pressure.

Hughes even had the ball in the net in the first 10 minutes, only to get his first taste of frustration when he was pulled back by a dubious offside flag.

Danny Whitaker then fired wide, while Hughes produced a sharp turn and a goalbound shot which ricocheted behind.

Scunthorpe, however, aren’t top without good reason, and the hugely accomplished Gary Hooper rounded Mark Crossley before shooting off target from a difficult angle.

Mark Allott then had to block from Martyn Woolford, but Athletic made their pressure count — a welcome bonus after the previous two games — when Whitaker found Alessandra five yards outside the box.

Alessandra showed the confidence to chance his arm and, with the aid of a heavy deflection, his drive left Murphy totally wrong-footed.

The hosts continued to press, with Hughes spearheading their attack as he cracked one shot inches over and glanced an awkward header wide.

Scunthorpe were nearly level at the break as Hooper was denied by Crossley’s smart save, but Athletic’s flair and commitment made them worth the lead.

There was another narrow escape after 50 minutes, a left-wing corner being met by Krystian Pearce, whose header struck the bar.

But within 30 seconds Athletic had doubled their money thanks to a sweet move which showed the football they are capable of playing at speed.

Full-back Neal Eardley charged down the right before his cross picked out Alessandra for a neat first-time finish.

And Athletic could have so easily added a quick third when Taylor had two shots blocked and Murphy dived full length to save from Hughes.

Never mind, not long to wait, and Alessandra completed his hat-trick with the pick of the bunch.

Eardley moved forward to provide another assist — a somewhat lucky one as he slipped while passing, but frankly no-one cared — and Alessandra took over by blasting a spectacular shot inside the far post.

Hughes, desperate to score, then missed two great chances and Taylor hit the inside of the post as shellshocked Scunthorpe disintegrated into chaos.

As a unit Athletic were terrific, but hats off to one young striker for the way he pinched the glory from his mates.

Also from tonight's rarely wrong Chron:

Mean streak is key for Lewis

Reporter: Latics Latest by MICHAEL YARWOOD

Date online: 29/10/2008

LEWIS ALESSANDRA has revealed that a new-found selfish streak helped him to become Athletic’s match-winning hero last night.

The striker exploded back into first-team action with his first senior hat-trick as Athletic stunned league leaders Scunthorpe 3-0.

Alessandra (19) was making his first start for six games, and he said: “Everyone has been telling me to shoot, shoot and be more selfish, so that’s what I did.

“Three points was the most important thing, but I’m really happy to get three goals because I probably needed them.

“It’s a crazy game – I wasn’t even on the bench at Swindon on Saturday, but the manager changed things and I could have scored more in the end.

“The first goal was a weight off my shoulders because I hadn’t scored for a while (since the opening day of the season) and it gave me and the team some momentum.

“Confidence helps massively, especially for a young player, so I was pleased to set us on our way.

“For the second goal Neal Eardley’s cross was inch-perfect and for the third I caught it sweetly – it was a great feeling, especially in front of the Chaddy End, and I just wanted to go mad.

“The manager left me out on Saturday, so it was on my mind that I wanted to get back in the team and show him that I don’t want to be the 17th man in the squad.

“I want to be in there playing and scoring goals, so I suppose scoring a hat-trick was the best response I could give.

“I’ve done myself no harm and playing up front with Lee Hughes really helps because he has traits which every striker can copy.

“Hughesy was one of the people telling me to be more selfish, and I feel I’m learning from him. I probably could have scored five in the end.”

Well i was in rocky road end so didnt see gregan that much in the first half. But in the second half he mopped everything up, Hooper and Hayes were getting frustrated cos he was winning everything, aerial and on the ground.

Every player gave 110% last night!! Well done lets keep it up!!!

I just hope we can dictate games in the first 10 minutes in every game we play whether it be home or away!

Teams cannot live with us if we play that way.

KEEP THE FAITH.

I just hope we can dictate games in the first 10 minutes in every game we play whether it be home or away!

Teams cannot live with us if we play that way.

KEEP THE FAITH.

We outplayed Bristol Rovers and Swindon in the first twenty minutes, but it was a nightmare thereafter! At Bristol, incrdeibly we had 38 crosses, and nothing to show for them.

All too often this season we've played only for about 45 minutes. Let's make the Leeds, Tranmere and Scunny performances the norm (nothing to do with temples!).

Well i was in rocky road end so didnt see gregan that much in the first half. But in the second half he mopped everything up, Hooper and Hayes were getting frustrated cos he was winning everything, aerial and on the ground.

The pace and movement of Scunny players left him dazed and confused in the first half, and his colleagues got him out of jail several times. His swagger returned after the second goal and he can be happy in the knowledge that he won't be up against that sort of first half onslaught very often this season.

We outplayed Bristol Rovers and Swindon in the first twenty minutes, but it was a nightmare thereafter! At Bristol, incrdeibly we had 38 crosses, and nothing to show for them.

All too often this season we've played only for about 45 minutes. Let's make the Leeds, Tranmere and Scunny performances the norm (nothing to do with temples!).

It's just a matter of getting that first goal. I'm sure D_S will vouch for me, at Swindon I said when we murdered them at the start that if we get one, we'll get three or four. Said the same thing last night...was worried when Hughes had his goal disallowed that we would pay for it, but fortunately we didn't, and sure enough, we go and put three past the league leaders and could/should have had more...

It's just a matter of getting that first goal. I'm sure D_S will vouch for me, at Swindon I said when we murdered them at the start that if we get one, we'll get three or four. Said the same thing last night...was worried when Hughes had his goal disallowed that we would pay for it, but fortunately we didn't, and sure enough, we go and put three past the league leaders and could/should have had more...

Agree re the need to score first, but last night the second was really crucial, and the third killed them. Even at 2-0 I was not confident that Scunny would fail to get back into the game, but after the third goal, it could have been a cricket score!