Cloughie Immortalised.

The late Brian Clough O.B.E. (Old Big 'Ead) was immortalised today in the form of a bronze statue, unveiled by hs wife Barbara.

Video of the unveiling: http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/sitemap/s...loughstatue.htm

statue_unveil15.jpg

Let's hope that ESDC take similar action and erect a statue of Nigel in the market place. Next to the one of Paddy & Shane. :)

He was also an exceptionally unpleasant human being, but that's skipped over because he was a, "character."

Sorry, for a second there I thought you were talking about Roy Keane, who was never a minute's trouble when managed by Cloughie.

By the way, did you ever have dealings with him, to have formed your opinion?

Sounds like Roy (spit) Keane........ :wink:

Yes, because nobody ever slags Keane off, do they?!

Not that there’s anything wrong with sort of behaviour, but a mate of mine grew up very close to Clough. The neighbours kept a sort of unofficial watch for him beneath the local hedges...

Let's hope that ESDC take similar action and erect a statue of Nigel in the market place. Next to the one of Paddy & Shane. :)

Cloughie on Clough:

http://www.brianclough.com/burton.htm

The mighty Brewers go top of the League if they win the next match.

P.S. It's ESBC now, as we bcame a Borough some years ago.

No, Shearer isn't a character either, he's a dull arrogant :censored:.

Lees.....you haven't fallen victim to the old OWTB :whoosh: have you?

I actually really like Shearer. Great player, loyal, down to earth, tough, determind, made the most of his natural ability, got the better of Keane, knocked back United twice and did well for England. As for him being dull he was apparently quite the joker around his clubs. A classic prank of his includes filling Jason Wilcox's BMW convertable up with soil and planting a small tree in it. :lol: It's unfair to judge his character from his media work.

Sorry, for a second there I thought you were talking about Roy Keane, who was never a minute's trouble when managed by Cloughie.

By the way, did you ever have dealings with him, to have formed your opinion?

I never had the pleasure. It’s pretty much a matter of record that he regularly beat up his subordinates at work in bouts of alcoholic rage. But he was a character, so that’s OK.

I never had the pleasure. It’s pretty much a matter of record that he regularly beat up his subordinates at work in bouts of alcoholic rage. But he was a character, so that’s OK.

No doubt you'll be adding your hearsay observation to his Wikipedia page, which seems to have missed that aspect of his alcoholic dark side.

No doubt you'll be adding your hearsay observation to his Wikipedia page, which seems to have missed that aspect of his alcoholic dark side.

Are you serious Snr S? You’ve only mentioned one of his employees in your posts, and it’s on the record that Clough punched him the ground for no reason other than bad luck to be the first one he saw when he came through the door. Just because he came from an era when that sort of thing went on more often doesn’t make it right. And the Wiki site – written by a fan methinks...

if there is life after death and cloughie could see that, he will be laughing at the ':censored:houses'. anyone with a modicum of sense/ memory/ respect for clough knows that he didnt want a statue outside the ground. at least thats what he always claimed anyways, so, small credit for not putting it at trent bridge. BUT head shaking at derby fans.

i tip my hat to thee who mentions the golscoring record, absolutely phenominal.

Are you serious Snr S? You’ve only mentioned one of his employees in your posts, and it’s on the record that Clough punched him the ground for no reason other than bad luck to be the first one he saw when he came through the door. Just because he came from an era when that sort of thing went on more often doesn’t make it right. And the Wiki site – written by a fan methinks..

I would imagine that living and/or working with an alcoholic must be hell. An employer can demand loyalty from employees but has to earn their respect. What amazes me is that, for an alcoholic with so much 'character', his employees (excluding Justin Fashanu) showed so much respect to him both when they were his subordinates and to his name even now.

Regarding the Wiki site, it includes plenty of 'warts' but feel free to add anything to balance the assessment of someone regarded as more of a football genious than even Ronnie Moore :wink: .

if there is life after death and cloughie could see that, he will be laughing at the ':censored:houses'. anyone with a modicum of sense/ memory/ respect for clough knows that he didnt want a statue outside the ground. at least thats what he always claimed anyways, so, small credit for not putting it at trent bridge. BUT head shaking at derby fans.

i tip my hat to thee who mentions the golscoring record, absolutely phenominal.

Of course he would be laughing, just like he probably laughed at the 'daft buggers' who paid respects to him at the Pride Park memorial service. But that's just the point, you don't erect a statue because that's what the recipient wanted - you do it to show current and future generations that the man had the respect of the people of 'Boro, Nottingham and, if people get their way, at the other end of the A52 'Brian Clough Way' in Derby.

Meanwhile he's probably pointing to Ernie as the example to all the others he is managing up there.

bloody legend no characters in football today anywhere near like him, ferguson and the rest of the bloody premiership toss pots dould take s long hard look - please god dont make that :censored:hole any more gruesome to go to if they put a statue of Taggart outside it

Edited by neiladamsheadband

Are you serious Snr S? Youve only mentioned one of his employees in your posts, and its on the record that Clough punched him the ground for no reason other than bad luck to be the first one he saw when he came through the door. Just because he came from an era when that sort of thing went on more often doesnt make it right. And the Wiki site - written by a fan methinks...

I can't get the Clough thing either. I thought I was on my own, but clearly not. He got results by knocking people around; a mouthy git who's drunken bullying has been described as "bringing colour to the game", reckon that's true if the colours were black and blue. Justin Fashanu left Nottingham quick sharp, we can't ask him why now of course, however there is speculation and I think I can guess...

Not everyone can buy into the Legend crap, I suppose people have to understand that.

Shez wasn't at the City Ground long enough to learn a lot from "Old Big 'Ead" as Cloughie sacked him after one game. I don't know whether the reason for the sacking is documented anywhere.

the only thing ive read on it is shez who says it was 'the strangest part of my career'

Edited by daznathe