Years of Latics

Visiting teams and commentators used to moan about the plastic pitch, but if you could play passing football, you loved it. As you say Spurs that day were class on the plastic. In the seasons when Chelsea and Derby were promoted, they came to BP and won on the plastic - Derby did it twice in the season (ZDS Cup).

i remember the chelsea one , they played in a doncaster style red and white strip and the dodger scored after about 5 mins, not bad against top of the table i thought, until they strolled around and put 6 past us. first real pasting i ever saw us take.....seen a few since then though.

2 players spring to mind although i watched every home premiership game, chris waddle came to boundary park and put on a masterclass for bradford.

and kevin francis, he was fantastic the day he played for birmingham, goalscoring machine, standing ovation from oldham fans aswell, what a display :wink:

great performance, two quality finishes....

first game v's leeds 86, 3 years old won 4-1 around easter, cant remember the game but remember the car that used to drive round the pitch, manager big fat joe, cried at school the day he left much to the amusement of "scum" mates....

kanchelskis used to run us ragged eveytime we played them

The "dodge" hat trick at Main Rd in the 80s takes some beating for me in a 4-1 victory for us.

Or another "dodge hat trick ( I think if i rememeber?) at Gay Meadow, Shrewsbury, around a similar early/mid 80s.

Shearer came with Southampton as a young lad a few years ago and looked a real player (no surprises there!)

no Gazza but Ozvaldo Ardiles played, as you said they where class. they escaped with a victory that day! :grin:

Ardiles ran the game from the Centre Circle,absolute Quality.

Hoddle and mickey Hazard played the same day in midfield If I remember rightly?

no Gazza but Ozvaldo Ardiles played, as you said they where class. they escaped with a victory that day! :grin:

My Dad took me in 1978 to see us play Spurs when Ossie and Ricardo Villa had just signed......... I can't remember if they were any good as I was only 6, I guess I was probably hanging around at the bottom of the Chaddy kicking a can around or something :grin:

Simon Stainrod and Rodger Wylde were awsome together when we destroyed Blackburn one easter in the mid to late eighties.

the mind plays funny tricks mate, not sure which game you are referring to there regarding Wylde and Stainrod as both had gone by the very early eighties (bout '83?) The game you MAY be referring to is a game on Good Friday '88 when we beat Bastard Rovers 4-2 Roger Palmer and Andy Ritchie bagging a brace apiece and we did annihilate them that lunch-time!

The game on Easter Monday saw us nick a last minute winner at Villa Park, courtesy of the 'Divine Chin' then we went and battered Stoke 5-1 at Bp the folllowing Saturday. In fact after a horrendous time with injuries during the first part of that year our home results from NYD read as:-

3-1

2-1

1-0

4-2

4-3

2-2

4-2

5-1

3-1

2-0 P10 W9 D1 L0 F30 A13

Thems were the days..........

i remember the chelsea one , they played in a doncaster style red and white strip and the dodger scored after about 5 mins, not bad against top of the table i thought, until they strolled around and put 6 past us. first real pasting i ever saw us take.....seen a few since then though.

Was it six??? Blimey I only remember it being 4 but maybe I just blanked the other two out!! (nothing at all to do with an alcohol consumed since said result!!).

Manager Big Joe ...

My favorite player was Nick Henry ... he always gave 100% and that goal against Arsenal ...... (after not being able to hit the preverbial cows arse with a banjo) ... he never ever gave up.

Visiting players in category

Skill ........ Waddle for Spurs

Hatred ... Irwin .... how dare he celebrate .... :o)

Comedy ...... David Speedie ....and Neville southall for the wives chants

Hero .... Linaker...!!

villan ... Ian Wright