Years of Latics

Since the age of 14 ive been supporting latics and now its been 10years (am i due a testemonial haha only jokin) i also went to a few games when i was younger when we were in the premier league with my dad watching us against newcastle, arsenal, liverpool, southampton and a few other i couldnt remember .

Anyway over the years there as obviously been some cracking players and managers just wondered who was there favourite latics player, manager and favourite visitng player to play at BP???

think most peoples would be BIG JOE as mine is

and player has to be john sheridan not just because of his latics years but from when he was at sheff wednesday and scored that pen which beat manu in the final... and also his 10 years with latics

visiting player has to be matt le tiss (4.3) might aswell of just played him that day instead of plaing the saints... also andy cole had a cracker with newcastle (3.1) to them

anyone got any great memories of players and visiting players who have played at BP and how long have you been supporting latics?? B)

2 players spring to mind although i watched every home premiership game, chris waddle came to boundary park and put on a masterclass for bradford.

and kevin francis, he was fantastic the day he played for birmingham, goalscoring machine, standing ovation from oldham fans aswell, what a display :wink:

2 players spring to mind although i watched every home premiership game, chris waddle came to boundary park and put on a masterclass for bradford.

and kevin francis, he was fantastic the day he played for birmingham, goalscoring machine, standing ovation from oldham fans aswell, what a display :wink:

Aye I remember those 2. Didn't Bradford have a Brazillian, Edinho? Upfront for them that day he caused us problems as well.

That Birmingham game, I remember their fans ripping seats out and throwing them into the small section of the RRE.. unless I've made that up. lol

Big Joe, Matt Le Tiss, Andy Cole... erm... I thought you have only been a fan for ten years ? :lol:

i have. i can still go to games even tho i wasnt a fan then... my dad must of got a bonus pay haha :grin:

cant really remember alot about joe but weve not had a stand out manager since him so thats why i chose him.. but shez is very close

It’s only a few weeks since we had a similar thread:

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=memories

Favourite player Bobby Johnstone.

Favourite visiting manager has to be Brian Clough. Returning to the dugout in advance of his Forest team for the second half, he stood up and showed us a three nil scoreline with his fingers, when Latics fans chanted to ask him for the score. Final score 5-3.

Favourite visiting player has to be Shez for bringing down Andy Barlow to give us that Redfearn penalty, which won the Championship

Favourite manager obviously Big Joe, best player Andy Ritchie and visiting player, well more than one really, but the Tottenham team we played at BP in 1988 (I think) in the FA Cup that included Chris Waddle, Clive Allen and maybe evn Gazza etc and thumped us 2-4 were great to watch.

no Gazza but Ozvaldo Ardiles played, as you said they where class. they escaped with a victory that day! :grin:

Supported Latics on/off from '82 onwards. Starting going regularly in the 86/87 season and finally got a season ticket for the 90/91 season and had one ever since.

Favourite all-time Latics plater - tie between Ritchie and Rick Holden. Recent years - Eyres.

Remeber the Bradford / Waddle game. Lit up an othewise rubbish encouter.

Remember Gary Lineker playing at BP as a highlight. Vialli from Chelsea in the Cup looked impressive upfront as well.

no Gazza but Ozvaldo Ardiles played, as you said they where class. they escaped with a victory that day! :grin:

Visiting teams and commentators used to moan about the plastic pitch, but if you could play passing football, you loved it. As you say Spurs that day were class on the plastic. In the seasons when Chelsea and Derby were promoted, they came to BP and won on the plastic - Derby did it twice in the season (ZDS Cup).

quite a few of the older lot at work have mentioned kevin francis as there favourite player aswell... was he the 1st million pound player (city) ?????

quite a few of the older lot at work have mentioned kevin francis as there favourite player aswell... was he the 1st million pound player (city) ?????

Forest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/content/ar...s_feature.shtml

http://www.sportingo.com/nostalgia/a3697_b...ncis-nottingham

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

7 foot talentless :censored: = no.

Well, what would you give for a striker who could score a goal every 1.72 games at this level?

Despite Saint & Greavsie me thinks the big man had a bit more to his game than being a talentless tw**.

Ironically County sold him to fund the building of the Cheadle End.

Well, what would you give for a striker who could score a goal every 1.72 games at this level?

Despite Saint & Greavsie me thinks the big man had a bit more to his game than being a talentless tw**.

Ironically County sold him to fund the building of the Cheadle End.

He's hardly played at this level though. At Stockport he was in Division Four. With Birmingham he had one season. With Oxford he had three games. That is eight goals in thirty seven games. Under a goal every four and a half games. Not so hot now.

Talentless giant who was exploited by chucking/knocking big balls on top of shorter talentless keepers/defenders.

He's hardly played at this level though. At Stockport he was in Division Four. With Birmingham he had one season. With Oxford he had three games. That is eight goals in thirty seven games. Under a goal every four and a half games. Not so hot now.

Talentless giant who was exploited by chucking/knocking big balls on top of shorter talentless keepers/defenders.

He played 3 months in the 4th Division with Stockport.

From August 1991 to January 1995 he played for them in what is now League One. He also played in 2 play-off finals to escape the league we are currently in.

88 goals in 152 games in the league.

29 goals in 46 cup games.

107 goals in 198 games in 4 seasons, 3 and a half of which are at this level, would do for me.

He played 3 months in the 4th Division with Stockport.

From August 1991 to January 1995 he played for them in what is now League One. He also played in 2 play-off finals to escape the league we are currently in.

88 goals in 152 games in the league.

29 goals in 46 cup games.

107 goals in 198 games in 4 seasons, 3 and a half of which are at this level, would do for me.

Fair do's. I was looking on Soccerbase but the thing (like everything else) crashes at work every thirty seconds and must have looked at Hartlepool in the same division and drawn my own conclusions, as he always (before Birmingham) seemed at complete fodder level.

Having said that - it doesn't change my view that he was talentless and could have easily have been replaced by any fit person of that height. Then again, I'm no admirer of football which involves hitting/throwing the ball as high as you possibly can.

anyone got any great memories of players and visiting players who have played at BP and how long have you been supporting latics?? B)

Bobby Moore in the 70s and what a goal he scored , for us !!!!!!!

Been regular since 1961 , reckon i have seen approaching 1500 games home and away since then.

At one stage in the 90s i had been to all 92 league grounds.

Would think with new grounds and teams in the league it is probably down to about 70 + now.

Fair do's. I was looking on Soccerbase but the thing (like everything else) crashes at work every thirty seconds and must have looked at Hartlepool in the same division and drawn my own conclusions, as he always (before Birmingham) seemed at complete fodder level.

Having said that - it doesn't change my view that he was talentless and could have easily have been replaced by any fit person of that height. Then again, I'm no admirer of football which involves hitting/throwing the ball as high as you possibly can.

Or playing the ball out wide to overlapping full backs who put over a high cross?

His 100th goal for County was a rather special overhead kick.

His goal against QPR (Premiership) in the FA Cup was a low hard shot.

On the few occaisons I saw him there was a lot more to his game than height benefiting from long balls. Pace, strength and finishing were what he was all about. Very under-rated lower league player who had the best goals/game ratio of any striker in any division at the time.