ticket prices and VAT reduction

Recently buying tickets for Twisted Wheel, the orginal price was listed as 9.00, however since the reduction in VAT these are now 8.81. Quick research shows that a few ticket outlets have made a similar adjustment in the prices.

Should we be seeing a reduction in tickets prices at Latics and other grounds as now we are actually paying more to watch games since the reduction in VAT.

Or are people happy to see the VAT reduction go into he clubs coffers? After all it'll be only about 40pence

The only club I know to have already announced a reduction in tickets is Man u, who have also got permission from the IR to refund ST holders for the remaining games.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently buying tickets for Twisted Wheel, the orginal price was listed as 9.00, however since the reduction in VAT these are now 8.81. Quick research shows that a few ticket outlets have made a similar adjustment in the prices.

Should we be seeing a reduction in tickets prices at Latics and other grounds as now we are actually paying more to watch games since the reduction in VAT.

Or are people happy to see the VAT reduction go into he clubs coffers?

Let the club keep it.

42.5p based on a £20 ticket.

Did wonder if Crewe prices (£18.60) reflected the VAT cut though.

It's not worth the turnstyles having to hold all the change for the same of it, it's not like 42p will make the difference between going or not going.

I suggested somewhere that the club should do a one off ticket reduction for the Leyton Orient game rather than actually reduce ticket prices. A couple of days later hey ho a reduction and 2 4 1 offer.

I believe Everton reduced prices their ticket prices.

Or are people happy to see the VAT reduction go into he clubs coffers? After all it'll be only about 40pence

The only club I know to have already announced a reduction in tickets is Man u, who have also got permission from the IR to refund ST holders for the remaining games.

My opinion is that companies should reduce their prices to reflect the drop in VAT as this is part of a wider plan which the Government has to tackle the wider economical problems.

I fail to see how Latics should be exempt from this opinion.... So yes, Latics should drop their prices in my opinion...

Edited by oafc0000

Guest oa_exile
My opinion is that companies should reduce their prices to reflect the drop in VAT as this is part of a wider plan which the Government has to tackle the wider economical problems.

I fail to see how Latics should be exempt from this opinion.... So yes, Latics should drop their prices in my opinion...

I understand what you say about the big picture with regards to the UK economical problems but I dont have a problem to hand over the "Extra" 42p to the Club :) £0.42 X 14 = *£5.88*

* For my £5.88 I expect nothing less than a massive signing by the club at the end of season :)

Crewe have adjusted their ticket prices but Udders Felt haven't.

surely we should be reducing our season ticket prices for the 2nd half of the season, to get more fans in the ground and that means not just the VAT. 180 quid for 12 games is still 15 quid per game which means a ticket bought before each match is only 3 quid cheaper. sheffield weds are reducing theirs.

surely we should be reducing our season ticket prices for the 2nd half of the season, to get more fans in the ground and that means not just the VAT. 180 quid for 12 games is still 15 quid per game which means a ticket bought before each match is only 3 quid cheaper. sheffield weds are reducing theirs.

sorry should read 3 quid dearer. oops.

A whole 42p?

42p cheaper per game * the 14 games left = £5.88 so with roughly 1500 people paying on the gate (including away fans) that's £8820 for the rest of the season for everyone who pays on the gate. If the club reduce their prices to reflect the decrease in VAT it is not going to boost the economy that much, if every business in the country reduced their prices to reflect the drop in VAT then yes Latics should do the same. However not every club (nevermind every business) is going to reduce their prices. Although the £5.88 would be useful it would cause a lot more hassel to the club, they'd have to change the signs, make sure every turnstile had enough change which would include mountains of copper coins and frankly I don't see the point. If the treasury want to ensure that every business is taking the VAT off to reduce prices to the consumers then why not start at the top and work their way down. Considering that Travelodge, which is a much larger business than Oldham Athletic PLC, haven't taken the VAT off their hotel rooms then I don't see why the taxman is all that worried about Oldham. It will be easier for those companies who use credit cards or the internet to change the prices as that could probably be done with a change of a number on a spread sheet or computer programme, cash companies like Oldham will find it much harder.

To expand my point further...

If the Government reduced fuel tax by 5p and all the fuel companies raised their charges by 5p to cover this decrease then people would be unhappy...and rightly so...

Im not arsed about 42p but if every UK company thought it was ok to pocket this tax saving then this would counter act the Government plans.... Something which I think is pure profiteering....

The fact its the team I love is doing it dosent change my outlook on what is a much bigger issue...

Edited by oafc0000

This is one of the positives of a free market economy. If you feel you are getting a better deal at Sheffield Wednesday, you are completely within your rights to take your money to the other side of the Pennines.

I am not bothered generally about a 2.5% reduction in VAT, afterall it means £2.50 in £100 and we will all have to pay it back in the end

Guest oa_exile
I am not bothered generally about a 2.5% reduction in VAT, afterall it means £2.50 in £100 and we will all have to pay it back in the end

Not according to the OWTB analyist oafc0000 :wink:

42p x 1,500 fans a game (season tickets excluded) = £603 a match extra for Latics.

£8,000 or so between now and the end of the season.

While probably not connected, those fans who are "losing" their £5.88 are gaining £15 with the Orient fixture. So enjoy it chaps.

There is absolutely no point in Latics spending several thousand pounds on changing signs around the ground to display different admission prices, passing the cost of that change on to punters and saying "£20 minus 42p + 25p for the new signs = £19.83 for all game to the end of the season".

The bloody queues at the turnstile while the change is sorted out would send 10% of fans back to the pub and significantly reduce matchday attendances, driving the club in to administration!!!!

Edited by opinions4u

I'd agree, but is it really worth the bother?

On your £18 ticket at 17.5%

117.5 = £18

1 = £0.15.....

115 = £17.62

Thats, 38p less per adult, and the club would have to spend money on changing all the signs etc...

So this could be said of all business who's goods have seen a reduction in VAT. ... sorry but if the government reduces VAT then the price of goods should be reduce accordingly. It's amazing after the budget how quickly some businesses increase prices even though technically the increases are months away.

Goods prices are now 2.5 percent cheaper than they were at the end of November ..... except a many business have choosen to increase the price of their goods by 2.5 percentage by keeping the price of goods the same before the tax decrease.

.........hardly going to kill Latics to stick a price sticker over some signs is it now!

Add up you daily costs .... that 2.5 percent businesses are deciding to increase their goods by soon adds up.

How do you work out I dont do either of them ?? I can all but grantee my last tax bill was massive compared to yours....

I didn't say that you don't work or that you don't pay tax. You seem to take things pretty personally. I earn a reasonable amount and certainly over the national average, but my Dad is harder than your Dad. I can all but grantee it :grin:

This is one of the positives of a free market economy. If you feel you are getting a better deal at Sheffield Wednesday, you are completely within your rights to take your money to the other side of the Pennines.

Ease off Rick. You can't expect a thrusting internet entrepreneur who earns far more than you to understand about things like, "pricing," or, "opportunity cost." :lol:

I didn't say that you don't work or that you don't pay tax. You seem to take things pretty personally. I earn a reasonable amount and certainly over the national average, but my Dad is harder than your Dad. I can all but grantee it :grin:

I can all but guarantee that my dad is bigger than your dad!

EDIT:

*And therefore if sold by the pound as prepared food would cost more in VAT*

*Thread back on track*

Edited by leeslover