Assessment of Stockport yesterday

Guile - we have that in abundance with Windass and Hughes up front and Gregan at the back. Someone told me that Stockport's team yesterday had an average age of 22 - and it showed.

Decent passing team but in the end they did not threaten to ever repeat the Edgeley Park performance.

As for Latics - jittery at times but a wholehearted performance which bodes well for the rest of the season. :grin:

Edited by TheBigDog

Guile - we have that in abundance with Windass and Hughes up front and Gregan at the back. Someone told me that Stockport's team yesterday had an average age of 22 - and it showed.

Decent side but in the end they did not threaten to ever repeat the Edgeley Park performance.

As for Latics - jittery at times but a wholehearted performance which bodes well for the rest of the season. :grin:

Agree, said to my dad that I'd be happy watching football of that quality week in week out. A good young energetic side, perhaps just lacking a bit of guile in midfield and a striker. I suppose that's the benefit of the older heads we have and the same sort of problems we had when stitch was in charge - good young players that gave their all but at times lacked direction and leadership on the field.

Agree, said to my dad that I'd be happy watching football of that quality week in week out. A good young energetic side, perhaps just lacking a bit of guile in midfield

Stephen Gleeson returned to Wolves after his third successful loan spell at Edgeley Park.

and a striker

Their successful striker was sat on our bench. Their previous successful striker is sat in Derby's reserves after decent loan spells at Huddersfield and Blackpool. His replacement has hit the net twice all season and has a minor chest problem at the moment!

I suppose that's the benefit of the older heads we have and the same sort of problems we had when stitch was in charge - good young players that gave their all but at times lacked direction and leadership on the field.

I've been screaming out for Alessandra to partner Hughes up front all season. But even I can drop the crusade when Windass is available.

Stockport are a decent side who have held their own in this division against all odds. Their teamwork at Edgeley Park was superb. Yesterday our workrate in the middle of the park (Whitaker and Allott were excellent, and Taylor playing a little deeper helped too). Good win.

Edited by opinions4u

Stephen Gleeson returned to Wolves after his third successful loan spell at Edgeley Park.

Their successful striker was sat on our bench. Their previous successful striker is sat in Derby's reserves after decent loan spells at Huddersfield and Blackpool. His replacement has hit the net twice all season and has a minor chest problem at the moment!

I've been screaming out for Alessandra to partner Hughes up front all season. But even I can drop the crusade when Windass is available.

Stockport are a decent side who have held their own in this division against all odds. Their teamwork at Edgeley Park was superb. Yesterday our workrate in the middle of the park (Whitaker and Allott were excellent, and Taylor playing a little deeper helped too). Good win.

If Lewi wants to improve Deano should be his new best mate, he likes to play in that deeper role, he could learn so much from Windass.

If Lewi wants to improve Deano should be his new best mate, he likes to play in that deeper role, he could learn so much from Windass.

I think that they could all learn from the Windass - he is so aware of everything that is going on around him - plays with his head up and that word again 'guile' :grin:

Edited by TheBigDog

Interesting points...

Starting me thinking about the supposed Smalley loan move, which, I'm not sure will do anyone any favours... he is in too good form and is our only decnt right winger... :wink:

But... Stocky are looking for a striker and someone with a bit of guile... for me, Lewi could do em a few favours, and if we keep ol'Baldy... then I dont really see him getting near the 1st team anytime soon....

How about saying to Stocky, forget Deano, but take Lewi for a couple of months, be good to see him getting a few games, and hopefull returning sharp if we need him at the business end of the season...

i thought latics seemed a hell of a lot more hungrier in midfield.allot MOM for me.

stockport passed it around nicely at the back,put dumped it when hughes started to track down at em and apply pressure.

they seemed intent on passing it around and just waiting for openings ,our midfield just snapped at them and forced them back.

whether that was the latics game plan or purely a reaction from last weekend i'm not sure,but it showed that it can be done.

more of the same i say-back to the yard dogs!

I think the Phrase "Punching above their weight" applies here,they are in trouble financially and Gannon is doing a superb job on a shoestring.Dont want to sound like Noel Gallagher but a lot of their fans ARE City fans who see County as their second team-some of their fans yesterday didnt have a clue who their own players where!

The Centre halves looked very young and inexperienced,Windass saw this and milked it to our advantage.

I think the Phrase "Punching above their weight" applies here

Agreed

They have done really well and exceeded all expectations to get where they are.

However unless they strengthen next season I think they will be 'found out', and will spend the majority of the season at the wrong end of the table.

Hope they dont, i personally like to see local teams do well, and its nice to have a local derby again.

I'm not sure what you'll make of it if I tell you that Saturday was probably our worst performance of the season by some way.

The guile is there alright, we just didn't get the ball in enough dangerous areas for it to show. We have a catalogue of injuries up front and I'll certainly agree that a striker is very much required.

TBH, we couldn't handle your fast start, we've got a hell of a lof of kids in that team (ave age 21 and down further after 26 yr old Baker went off after 20 mins!) and they struggled with that. They were easily rattled, probably for the first time this season, and they never really got their composure back.

Ces't le vie, hopefully they'll learn from it.

I'm not sure what you'll make of it if I tell you that Saturday was probably our worst performance of the season by some way.

The guile is there alright, we just didn't get the ball in enough dangerous areas for it to show. We have a catalogue of injuries up front and I'll certainly agree that a striker is very much required.

TBH, we couldn't handle your fast start, we've got a hell of a lof of kids in that team (ave age 21 and down further after 26 yr old Baker went off after 20 mins!) and they struggled with that. They were easily rattled, probably for the first time this season, and they never really got their composure back.

Ces't le vie, hopefully they'll learn from it.

I had a good look at the stockport players after 30 mins (when a ref would have stopped a boxing match) and they were completely down and out.

But 100% credit to them they lifted themselves back into the game.

They looked what they are , very young and inexperienced and some older heads are needed.

I would sell a few young uns and get some older ones in.

You could be a force next season if you do.

However , if you stick to young then you will eventually struggle.

That famous match of the day line -

You win nowt with kids !!!!!!!!

Edited by losesome

You didn't go to the Gillingham FA Cup game then.

County were well and truly outplayed on Saturday. A reverse of the second half at Edgeley Park.

You didn't go to the Gillingham FA Cup game then.

County were well and truly outplayed on Saturday. A reverse of the second half at Edgeley Park.

I did. We started that game well and created chances but took our foot off the pedal after going a goal up and suffered for it. On saturday we never got going and defended awfully. It was 10 times worse then Gillingham.

I think all that is needed was a bit of experience.

Hence i said if county dont strengthen in the summer they could be in trouble.

Sign a decent old head in defence and another in midfield, you'll be rite

Although on a serious note, Gannon has performed a miracle getting you to where you are on that budget, do you think you will be able to keep hold of him?

I did. We started that game well and created chances but took our foot off the pedal after going a goal up and suffered for it. On saturday we never got going and defended awfully. It was 10 times worse then Gillingham.

Looked second best before Glesson put you 1-0 up v Gillingham.

Not a deserved lead, and not looked after either.