Is Latics a product or something much close to the heart ?

oafc0000

Is Latics a product or is it more than that ?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Is Latics a product or is it more than that ?

• Its a product
    • Its more than a product

It seems to me that people now view football purely as a product. We use terms like value for money and we compare are prices against higher leagues.

My personal view point is. I have hated the way this sport as turned more into a business. I refuse to let myself view Latics as a product (although this is getting harder I will admit). Its a sport and the club is in my heart. It represents where I was born and who I am. Diet Coke isnt, even though it enjoy it. I would pay to go to Latics over many other things.

This is about what you think not what the guy next door thinks. I want to know what REAL football fans think.

If its more than a product I think people need to stop dealing with issues of ticket pricing the as they would if a tin of beans went up in price.

Edited by oafc0000

It seems to me that people now view football purely as a product. We use terms like value for money and we compare are prices against higher leagues.

My personal view point is. I have hated the way this sport as turned more into a business. I refuse to let myself view Latics as a product (although this is getting harder I will admit). Its a sport and the club is in my heart. It represents where I was born and who I am. Diet Coke isnt, even though it enjoy it. I would pay to go to Latics over many other things.

This is about what you think not what the guy next door thinks. I want to know what REAL football fans think.

If its more than a product I think people need to stop dealing with issues of ticket pricing the as they would if a tin of beans went up in price.

Latics IS a product, no matter which way you look.

However, the problem is that it's also much more than a product. Your are right in what you say about the way you can't view it in the same way as a tin of beans increasing in price, but there comes a point at which even the most ardent fan will walk away.

As painful as it may bem you/we can't continue to pay increasing prices when some are strugling to put food on the table.

Latics IS a product, no matter which way you look.

However, the problem is that it's also much more than a product.

I not saying its not something of a product. The question is if it is in fact MORE than just a product.

Keep voting people. I really want to know if I am just supporting a corporation or not.

For the real latics supporters, our club is part of our lives and we follow them irrespective of success or failure (though a little success every now and then helps :wink: ).

There is also the other side of this whereby the club is also a 'brand' - and that is where we do move away from sport in it's purest form and towards business - I don't see why each cannot live alongside the other - but it must be a healthy coexistence that does not lose sight of the original ideals, the very reasons why clubs survive for over a hundred years.

It's in the blood ya see! :grin:

I not saying its not something of a product. The question is if it is in fact MORE than just a product.

Keep voting people. I really want to know if I am just supporting a corporation or not.

Of course it's more that justa product, otherwise we'd all be supporting the scum.

For me personally, I'll pay it as long as I can afford it, but if there comes a point at which paying to watch my club means I can't provide for my family, I'll cut it loose in the sam eway I'll cut Sky, broadband, gym memberships etc.

I don't see why each cannot live alongside the other - but it must be a healthy coexistence that does not lose sight of the original ideals, the very reasons why clubs survive for over a hundred years.

Very good post! and I very much agree!

I just get the feeling that its becoming more about the business than the sport/love for the club with some people. If us fans start losing what its all about then I think that's when its becoming unhealthy.

Of course it's more that justa product, otherwise we'd all be supporting the scum.

That's what I am getting at as well...

For me personally, I'll pay it as long as I can afford it, but if there comes a point at which paying to watch my club means I can't provide for my family, I'll cut it loose in the sam eway I'll cut Sky, broadband, gym memberships etc.

I am not asking people to screw over there family for the sake of the club. Everything is second to that.

I agree with you to a certain extent. For me, I'm not concerned with the relatively small price increases, for me, it makes no problem if a ticket is £25 or £19... I dont see the effect, and I want to go to every match i can for the reasons you state above...

However, Luckily I am not in a position for £5 to matter that much, and from what you have said in past posts neither are you... however that amount of money can mean a lot to some, especially if times are hard and there are other family priorities.

I think you need to split your point. I think some people moan for the sake of moaning, and there is this magical price-point of £20 for a game that people cant see past - below it (£19) - fine, above it (£21) - its the biggest rip off in the world... that for me is trivial... however there are genuine instances of people being priced out of football no matter how much they love the team, and that is totally seperate...

However, I do know what you mean, a couple of quid extra to see the team I love survive... I aint gonna whinge about that, and to turn it into pricing decision to watch latics for a couple of quid - nah, not gonna buy it - there are other motives fueling you (ie. you are bored, and think latics are now crap etc...)

As for turning it into a product. We will never see it. But I can almost see a whole new generation of fans looking at it like that. If the 'product' is crap - they will go and watch someone else better. Simple as...

But I can almost see a whole new generation of fans looking at it like that. If the 'product' is crap - they will go and watch someone else better. Simple as...

Thats my greatest fear for the lower leagues... If the fans start doing this...the fight is lost...

from a sensible standpoint, then latics is a product as is the whole of football and wii become more so as time goes on.

thinking with my heart latics is far more than a product to me and im sure to many more.

many football supporters around the country will think the same (even some red scummers)

does anybody love another "product" as much as they love their local football (sports) team?

does anybody love another "product" as much as they love their local football (sports) team?

I bought a Garmin GPS unit for my bike as I was sick of reading maps every five mins. Its changed my life and its the greatest thing I have ever bought. If I couldnt afford to go to latics it would be on ebay in second :D

Edited by oafc0000

Daft question - it's something in your life that irrationally means so much, no other "product" has given me anywhere near to the buzzes and the lows I've had watching this club, You also wouldn't spend money on anything else that wasn't up to scratch - as with many latics teams, you wouldn't travel 250 miles for anything else that had the possinility of being soul destroying - even when your away the tics are with you :wub:

I bought a Garmin GPS unit for my bike as I was sick of reading maps every five mins. Its changed my life and its the greatest thing I have ever bought. If I couldnt afford to go to latics it would be on ebay in second :D

I love my car and my A-Z. I'd part with neither for Latics, the sweetheart would be first to go.

i wouldn't say complaining about ticket prices is treating latics as a product, its like people will always complain their wives/girlfriends cost them more than enough money.

we have reason enough to complain about ticket prices as they are a product, regardless of how you view latics. after all you dont have to buy tickets to be a latics fan and still treat them as 'more than a product'

For the real latics supporters, our club is part of our lives and we follow them irrespective of success or failure (though a little success every now and then helps :wink: ).

There is also the other side of this whereby the club is also a 'brand' - and that is where we do move away from sport in it's purest form and towards business - I don't see why each cannot live alongside the other - but it must be a healthy coexistence that does not lose sight of the original ideals, the very reasons why clubs survive for over a hundred years.

It's in the blood ya see! :grin:

Clubs have survived for hundreds of years because it has been relatively inexpensive to watch football. It was always the working mans game, and priced accordingly. Now however with the introduction of the greedy league and £150,000 per week salaries, the whole sport has had to crank up the financials to be anywhere close to competing (or even to avoid being relegated out of existence.

Sadly that's meant that the experience of watching Latics has increased in cost and we've struggled to put any kind of sustained form together over a 15 year period. Even clubs who are now in the conference and below have sizeable budgets and have to charge proprtionally over the odds.

Latics is a passion, something that will always be there, new players come and go, times are hard, depressing and frustrating, there will be good times, times of exitement, but we will always lose and draw to poor sides and beat the best teams. Most importantly latics is one of the only things that will be with you for life, i literally wear the clubs name on my arm and have no other tattoos e.g. girlfriends name.

i wouldn't say complaining about ticket prices is treating latics as a product, its like people will always complain their wives/girlfriends cost them more than enough money.

we have reason enough to complain about ticket prices as they are a product, regardless of how you view latics. after all you dont have to buy tickets to be a latics fan and still treat them as 'more than a product'

Good thinking....spot on.

Latic isn't a product but match tickets are. :)

Oh my god, I think I am agreeing with you 100%. First for everything. :wink:

We seem to have a steady 90/10 split...

Interesting to see that 10% have declared us nothing more than a product... I wonder what the split was 10 / 20 / 30 years ago... I wonder what it will be in another 10 / 20 /30 years... The more of a product we come the more our viability will go down... I would suggest we wouldnt need much more of a swing before its good night viena... This is the trend we have to change...

We need to make people look at the club as more than a product... Only way is the children... Make them care... But how the hell do we do that with nothing but champions league and premiership football rammed down their throats....

Things like the the Boundary Blue membership helps but I really think we need to start letting them in for free or something. If that dosent destroy the bottom line...

Edited by oafc0000