England

bloody rubbish,and boring

Agreed...

New manager has had a positive impact but we are a million miles away from anything decent...

You have to ask why England players where at home on a sick note while Spain had a decent squad...

Edited by oafc0000

Agreed...

New manager has had a positive impact but we are a million miles away from anything decent...

You have to ask why England players where at home on a sick note while Spain had a decent squad...

We just aren't good enough. Expectations are far too high for the standard of players we have. Anybody who think we should be anywhere near the level Spain are are living in a dream world. We are amongst the top 16 in the world but only just. It's the English style of play that let's us down, technical ability is put aside for pure tempo of the game and against European nations and South American nations we get found out. We fail to keep possession by trying to force the tempo by playing more direct, losing the ball frequently and relatively cheaply, then we don't see it again for 5 minutes. Just watch our games against poorer European sides, we rarely control the lionshare of possession and edn up being frsutrated by the other team playing keep ball.

Bloody hell, the team has come on leaps and bounds since Capello took over. Tonight, to put it simply, we were beaten by THE BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD. No disgrace, and it showed what everyone already knew, there is still plenty of room for improvement.

Your massively overstating the improvement... All the same issues exist... We struggle to control the midfield... We dont have any reliable forwards... No one for the left hand position... Midfield unstable... Defence is fine if everyone is fit..if we fall back on Johnson and such like we look poor... Goalkeepers are awful... Right hand midfield we are fine if Beckham is played...wright philips looks good but produces little...

Edited by oafc0000

Bloody hell, the team has come on leaps and bounds since Capello took over. Tonight, to put it simply, we were beaten by THE BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD. No disgrace, and it showed what everyone already knew, there is still plenty of room for improvement.

If you're replying to me I think you've missed the point of what i'm saying and misread me. I want England to do well and see there has been some improvement under Capello, but what i'm saying is that people believe the hype that surrounds our players that they are the best in the world and that we should be able to compete with the likes of Spain. In reality, our whole approach to football just isn't good enough anymore to compete with any of the top teams on the international stage. We have made steps in the right direction, Barry in midfield, Carrick as well is a good option for us in my opinion because it moves us towards a slower tempo and a team that can keep the ball. However, you look at the way the centre backs play and they continue to play as though it were a Premier League game and instead of looking to keep possession and being patient, anything more than 4 passes along the back four is punctuated by a long hopeful ball to our target man whoever that may be at the given time. I'm not the sort of person who sees England win and decides we're going to win the World Cup nor am I the sort who sees us lose and says it's time for a change. If anything needs changing it's the fundamental way our players are coached. I know everyone loves the fast pace of the English game, but if we want to win trophies at international level and look effective on the international stage, something drastic needs to change.

I'm not just talking about our standard English player here either. Even our so called very best are so wasteful in possession when you compare them to their European counterparts. Rooney and Gerrard as much as they can do something brilliant, they are possibly the worst culprits for wasting possession cheaply.

Your massively overstating the improvement... All the same issues exist... We struggle to control the midfield... We dont have any reliable forwards... No one for the left hand position... Midfield unstable... Defence is fine if everyone is fit..if we fall back on Johnson and such like we look poor... Goalkeepers are awful... Right hand midfield we are fine if Beckham is played...wright philips looks good but produces little...

So they haven't come on leaps and bounds under Capello? Did you not watch us under McLaren?

Comprehensive wins in Croatia and Belarus, as well as a very good win in Germany. A team looking a lot more balanced. Lot more pace on the wings with Downing on the left, and Walcott on right (when fit). Plus we look a lot better with Wright-Phillips in there instead of Beckham (he is too slow for international football now). Looking a lot better in central mid now that we have a manager that realises you don't have to pick Gerrard and Lampard every game. Obviously we will look a lot more threatening upfront with Rooney....but like I said tonight "showed what everyone already knew, there is still plenty of room for improvement."

Goalkeepers are awful, but thats hardly Capello's fault.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

If you're replying to me I think you've missed the point of what i'm saying and misread me. I want England to do well and see there has been some improvement under Capello, but what i'm saying is that people believe the hype that surrounds our players that they are the best in the world and that we should be able to compete with the likes of Spain. In reality, our whole approach to football just isn't good enough anymore to compete with any of the top teams on the international stage. We have made steps in the right direction, Barry in midfield, Carrick as well is a good option for us in my opinion because it moves us towards a slower tempo and a team that can keep the ball. However, you look at the way the centre backs play and they continue to play as though it were a Premier League game and instead of looking to keep possession and being patient, anything more than 4 passes along the back four is punctuated by a long hopeful ball to our target man whoever that may be at the given time. I'm not the sort of person who sees England win and decides we're going to win the World Cup nor am I the sort who sees us lose and says it's time for a change. If anything needs changing it's the fundamental way our players are coached. I know everyone loves the fast pace of the English game, but if we want to win trophies at international level and look effective on the international stage, something drastic needs to change.

I'm not just talking about our standard English player here either. Even our so called very best are so wasteful in possession when you compare them to their European counterparts. Rooney and Gerrard as much as they can do something brilliant, they are possibly the worst culprits for wasting possession cheaply.

I wasnt replying to you...tbh I hadn't even read you post! Now that I have, I concur.

Plus we look a lot better with Wright-Phillips in there instead of Beckham (he is too slow for international football now).

Goalkeepers are awful, but thats hardly Capello's fault.

1st point - maybe if we went less for pace and energy and more for quality, we might be able to hold onto the ball more. Beckham played some excellent balls around the field, just a pity the recipients can't take it on. We will never be successful playing the "English" game at high tempo.

2nd point - where are the goalkeeper to challenge James.

3rd point - Drop Terry. Great defender in the English game but poor, in my opinion, in the international game.

So they haven't come on leaps and bounds under Capello? Did you not watch us under McLaren?

I have seen a marked in improvement... Basically from a manager who knows what the hell he is doing... Similar to when Errikson first took over. But we are a million miles from from a team thats ready to compete with the best in the world. Look at the two goals last name. Dam right amature mistakes...

You say we looked better with wright -philips... Dont get how you work that out.. You must of been watching a different game to me...

Stuff it... I am so dislusioned about England.. So boring to watch... Not going to waste any more time on them...

Edited by oafc0000

I have seen a marked in improvement... Basically from a manager who knows what the hell he is doing... Similar to when Errikson first took over. But we are a million miles from from a team thats ready to compete with the best in the world. Look at the two goals last name. Dam right amature mistakes...

You say we looked better with wright -philips... Dont get how you work that out.. You must of been watching a different game to me...

Stuff it... I am so dislusioned about England.. So boring to watch... Not going to waste any more time on them...

I stopped watching international football in 2000, remember Romania? Pfft. That was it....

What did you expect? It's a friendly where rule number one is don't get injured.

Alright we play a different game than the Spanish (and most of continental Europe), but it doesn't make us incapable of winning. But to go on about a friendly like it really matters in any way whatsoever is odd. I don't think we got a single thing out of last nights friendly at all.

Thought SWP played alright, except for that awful foul when he smashed his shins against that Spanish defenders foot. He should have gone for that one.

I'm not saying we are going to win much or anything, but we certainly aren't going to win anything playing in the Spanish style. Our players are too far gone for that. They have been brought up to think that passing is an added bonus on running around alot. It has to be changed at (primary) school level. Teach them to pass then - put it right into the makeup of all players at the first instance. But that is a million miles from even being thought of.

If you are bored of watching England, I guess you are bored of watching football. Alright it's ups and downs but very rarely boring (discounting useless friendlies).

NB. In a proper game with decent officials we would have been against ten men for most of the game, but friendly = offside.

So you stopped because we weren't winning?

Not sure, can't say I need to answer really, probably frustrated with it all, although following that logic through I'd have stopped watching Latics a long time ago. When we did have a team that could do something we did nowt, now England don't really have a team worthy of competing for the top prizes and the fans are too demanding, I suppose they have a right to with the inflated wages and the superstar lifestyle. TBH I'm really not one to idolise over-priced primadonnas so I may not be the best person to analyse International games. Just my take on it like...

Englands reserves got beat by the best team in the world's full strength side in a friendly...

Wowzers. And I thought we were OTT when it came to latics.... last time I checked England are unbeaten in the world cup qualifying campain, and from my reckoning, 8 of that team last night that started wont play against Ukraine.

You are right, more improvement is needed. However that improvement has until south Africa to reach its peak.

Oh - and most international football is to a large extent - Boring. All about results - when not playing friendlies... obviously.

Englands reserves got beat by the best team in the world's full strength side in a friendly...

8 of that team last night that started wont play against Ukraine.

You are right, more improvement is needed.

To many players at home on a sick note (for whatever reason)... How do we improve... ?

What did you expect? It's a friendly where rule number one is don't get injured.

Really ? Well I am shocked to hear that you think that. Maybe the rest of the squad should of taken the line of other players and just stayed at home then. Im sure we will improve just by turning up for the "important" games.

Edited by oafc0000

1st point - maybe if we went less for pace and energy and more for quality, we might be able to hold onto the ball more.

Exactly.. Wright-Philips looks good...he is explosive...but the bang at the end results in f**k all of use... Beckham's first contribution was a 50 yard cross field pass that was pin point... England dosent need that though do they :unsure:

Edited by oafc0000

Really? Well I am shocked to hear that you think that. Maybe the rest of the squad should have taken the line of other players and just stayed at home then? I'm sure we will improve just by turning up for the "important" games.

I can't really give all the answers (and not because I'll lose my consultancy fee), but meaningless friendlies with the reserve side (see Germany also) is uttery pointless.

I'd be more willing to go with the training camp idea that seems to float around all the time.

I was talking about in general and not just last night. We look even better with Walcott. Fabio Capello must agree with me too, because he keeps picking Wright-Phillips above Beckham, and Capello seems to know what he is doing.

I was talking about in general and not just last night. We look even better with Walcott. Fabio Capello must agree with me too, because he keeps picking Wright-Phillips above Beckham, and Capello seems to know what he is doing.

Wright-Philips cant cross for toffee...

Neither can Walcott.... Lot of use having wingers that cant cross...

Copello is selecting them because he has to!! Beckham isnt getting younger... But these guys are good enough as wingers....

Edited by oafc0000