3745 crowd

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

results and performances means bums on seats.

guess what the floaters don't feel they have been getting to keep them going?

face up to it,we are a small town on the edge of a few cities,with larger clubs.

thought you'd sussed that out by now.

nothing will change unless we get promoted.

circles..

Oldham is not a small town.

I may be wrong but you seem to be taking great delight from the thought of Leeds outsinging us on Monday. Why not get down to BP and help create an atmosphere to lift the team and who knows.....maybe silence the Leeds fans.

P.S. Great result for the mighty Dale tonight.

Not one bit. Unfortunately. It is a simple fact that it's going to happen regardless of the result.

I wont be at B.P on monday though. Loads of us have opted for our usual pre match pub. I'd much rather sit in our usual haunt with 12 or so mates, have a good craic (even more so if the Leeds fan from work doesnt bottle it - for the fear of being made to sleep in a garden should they win) and a few pints. Rather than sat outside listening to Leeds fans singing, sat with moaners in the main stand or staring from a possible crap vantage point that the Chaddy end can give (depending on where you sit - which according to some, will sell out so you'll not have much choice and be scattered away from everyone you usually sit with at games)

I would tell you the name of the pub, but i'm lead to believe you have a bit of a reputation. :wink:

P.S. Certainly was.

Oldham is not a small town.

its not a large city with a large club either...but we're surrounded by them.

population numbers means nothing...if no one goes,no one goes.

getting to manchester/liverpool/leeds isn't much in cost and time.so why should they change a habit of a lifetime by suddenly going to latics?

can't get a ticket?watch their teams on sky.

just like the floaters next monday..but its not a case of not getting a ticket-its because they don't see value for their money...but a few beers all the same whilst watching it at the local.

Not one bit. Unfortunately. It is a simple fact that it's going to happen regardless of the result.

I wont be at B.P on monday though. Loads of us have opted for our usual pre match pub. I'd much rather sit in our usual haunt with 12 or so mates, have a good craic (even more so if the Leeds fan from work doesnt bottle it - for the fear of being made to sleep in a garden should they win) and a few pints. Rather than sat outside listening to Leeds fans singing, sat with moaners in the main stand or staring from a possible crap vantage point that the Chaddy end can give (depending on where you sit - which according to some, will sell out so you'll not have much choice and be scattered away from everyone you usually sit with at games)

It's your prerogative but a sad state of affairs when you can't be enthusiastic about going to BP to watch a game against dirty Leeds.

IF we get promoted, the BP scenario you describe is likely to be the norm next season, so all those who think like you will probably stay away lomg term, whereas we're told the only hope of Latics fans coming back to BP is if we get promoted. Very confusing!

It's your prerogative but a sad state of affairs when you can't be enthusiastic about going to BP to watch a game against dirty Leeds.

IF we get promoted, the BP scenario you describe is likely to be the norm next season, so all those who think like you will probably stay away lomg term, whereas we're told the only hope of Latics fans coming back to BP is if we get promoted. Very confusing!

Leeds means nothing to me. Diddly squat. I couldnt give a flying and the only reason I take notice of their results is so I can at least talk with the Leeds lad at work without coming across as a numpty who know's c*ck all. I went Leeds away, despite the prices. Saw our great win.

Home games in truth bore me and have done for a couple of years now, simply because it's very (rarely unless you go on 12 hour benders like against stockport) like an away game and quite frankly doesnt have any appeal. That and the amount of mediocre performances we've endured the past few seasons has gone too far.

As for if we went up. We wouldnt get that many more home fans than we do for games against the likes of Hudd's, Leicester, etc. Main reason attendances would be boosted would be the higher on average away followings we'd see.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

only 3700+ there tonight for a team in (was) fourth

whos gonna come back and watch that rubbish

if we still end up in league one AGAIN its only gonna make more

people stay away

Years ago TV were not allowed to screen live games while there was other games going on......last night we had the Scum v Inter on TV.

Big part of the cause of the poor attendance

As for the performance....the front two are just not quick enough...end of

Does this town deserve a promotion challenging team> Does it deserve owners that lose a shed-load of dosh every week? Does it deserve to be largely watching decent flowing football (not including last neet of course!) I really don't think it does and booing young lads and the manager will ensure in the end we get what we deserve!

Leeds means nothing to me. Diddly squat. I couldnt give a flying and the only reason I take notice of their results is so I can at least talk with the Leeds lad at work without coming across as a numpty who know's c*ck all. I went Leeds away, despite the prices. Saw our great win.

Home games in truth bore me and have done for a couple of years now, simply because it's very (rarely unless you go on 12 hour benders like against stockport) like an away game and quite frankly doesnt have any appeal. That and the amount of mediocre performances we've endured the past few seasons has gone too far.

As for if we went up. We wouldnt get that many more home fans than we do for games against the likes of Hudd's, Leicester, etc. Main reason attendances would be boosted would be the higher on average away followings we'd see.

Would you go to BP to watch dirty Leeds in the play-off?

Does this town deserve a promotion challenging team> Does it deserve owners that lose a shed-load of dosh every week? Does it deserve to be largely watching decent flowing football (not including last neet of course!) I really don't think it does and booing young lads and the manager will ensure in the end we get what we deserve!

Good point well made.

Years ago TV were not allowed to screen live games while there was other games going on......last night we had the Scum v Inter on TV.

Big part of the cause of the poor attendance.

I can't understand why those who want to watch European football don't watch the highlights after going to BP to get behind the local team, in 4th place in the League and only beaten once at home in eleven months. That way they can watch in 90 minutes the cream of the night's action, instead of watching one match live on TV.

Only one thing will get the crowds back short term and instill some confidence in the players -

GET BIG JOE BACK.

Short term contract until end of season will see crowds back upto 6000 and probably just nick second place.

But we have to do it now not next week.

Only one thing will get the crowds back short term and instill some confidence in the players -

GET BIG JOE BACK.

Short term contract until end of season will see crowds back upto 6000 and probably just nick second place.

But we have to do it now not next week.

The bulk of those who stay away were there in Big Joe's days, but they felt he stayed on too long in the end. Would Shez have fallen out with Redfearn, played Warhurst out of position, upset Marshall, etc? We'll never know, but the only thing that's certain is that every manager gets criticised when things go wrong........even Taggart!

I can't understand why those who want to watch European football don't watch the highlights after going to BP to get behind the local team, in 4th place in the League and only beaten once at home in eleven months. That way they can watch in 90 minutes the cream of the night's action, instead of watching one match live on TV.

i keep saying it.

good football+results=bums on seats.

get the first 2 right,the answer comes accordingy.

the types you have pointed out above arn't latics fans-they are just floaters.

if there's football on tv ,that'll be their want..not latics.

obviously these types don't think they are getting value for money.

Everybody is making good valid points here on both sides of the argument but there's something missing from the experience at BP these days.

I think if we are honest the thing that got us all hooked on watching football in the first place was the whole matchday experience. Lets face it Latics were and never will be world beaters, and largely we all accept that, so the thing that capture our imaginantion was the thrill of the live experience. The smell of stale beer and pies, and the Deep Heat coming out of the changing rooms, the 'roar' of the crowd etc. But I just don't feel the sameway about all this now as I walk to the ground.

I can't put my finger on exactly what has changed, but as somebody has said my attendance is largely due to force of habit these days, I can almost count on the fingers of one hand the times I have left BP feeling really entertained and happy in the last 5 years or so. If I'm honest, going to Latics is more of a social thing for me now, and more and more people feel that way I think. People seem to forget the bit where they leave the pub and walk to the ground and just stay in the pub! And this is the reason a lot will stay in the pub for the Leeds game, the best of both worlds if you will, a better atmosphere and you get to see the game as well.

I haven't really got any answers as such I'm afraid as to what's changed for me and in general. Maybe it is these over-paid journeymen players who are not arsed that has done it? Maybe it was the day the Chaddy "died" when seats were installed? Maybe it is the Premier Greed and Sky? Maybe I've just grown up and got other interests?

All I know is I'm sad to say I'm losing the faith slowly, bit by bit and season by season, and I know a lot of others are too. I really fear for the future of our beloved club.

Would you go to BP to watch dirty Leeds in the play-off?

I dont know about you, but I dont go football to watch the opposition team. If I did, I wouldn't of gone the likes of Hereford and Southend away amongst others.

Would we be shafted into sitting in two stands. Neither of which i've been fond of watching football from?

Edited by Rocky_Latic

I sound like I'm repeating myself but if you want a good match-day experience go to Germany, I noticed certainly when we watched SV Wehen Wisebaden (who were a club you could say at a similar level to Latics) that there was something there for everyone. For a kick-off transport to the ground was top notch almost every ground in Germany has a railway station, the tickets were cheap it cost me €11 (about £9.50), you walk in the ground the beer is affordable and not watered down, you are allowed to drink in the stands, hence there is not a massive congregation around the concourse like we get in England, also it's another reason why the death of terracing has contributed to the death of football in Germany if your not someone who is prepared to get on your feet sing your heart out then you sat in seats the sides of the pitch rather than moan at people who want to make an effort supporting their team. There was something there for every social group unlike at Oldham where it seems that they are too focused on selling it'self to the same sort of fans and quite frankly at times it makes people like me who want to have a day out with your mates, have a drink, have a laugh and get vocal and behind their team feel alientated. It's a scientific fact that fans make more noise when they are stood but we're not allowed to do that in any area of the ground because the authorities feel we'll kick someones head in (they did have a hooligan problem in Germany in the past aswell you know) also we'll upset the families and grumpy old men, just my opinion but I feel thats a lot of people stay in the pubs on a Saturday afternoon because they dont feel welcome at the football anymore.

Edited by Tommy_Fent

I dont know about you, but I dont go football to watch the opposition team. If I did, I wouldn't of gone the likes of Hereford and Southend away amongst others.

Would we be shafted into sitting in two stands. Neither of which i've been fond of watching football from?

of course we would,as the club would look to cash in on away support again....and you cant really blame them can you.....

if that was the case i would charge them the same as they charge us £27.and make the most of it....

the full allocation of away support will always outsing the home end,simple fact of life,the only time you hear the oldham roar is when your inside the chaddy and its full....

its a bit embarrasing these days when mr zigga zagga starts up....the chaddy roar.....not roared properly since the day we got promoted.

TWO things have ruined Latics.

Players wages.(and i know its not just latics affected).

taking thr standing areas away.(and i know thats not just latics).

And the one major other issue,there is a recession on and a lot of people simply dont have 20 to 30 quid spare it costs to go.

In short its all well and good if you havent been affected by this recession but you know what,a lot of good people HAVE been affected and i for one am not going to explain why i dont go to BP very much in recent times.

Oh i forgot to add,the manager hasn't got a clue either.

Biggest thing thats ruined it is..........Being Sh*T on the pitch and losing!

We could have the best ground etc and if we didnt win games and play good football nobody would come.

Win Games and do well on the pitch = Doing well in the stands! Simple.

Biggest thing thats ruined it is..........Being Sh*T on the pitch and losing!

We could have the best ground etc and if we didnt win games and play good football nobody would come.

Win Games and do well on the pitch = Doing well in the stands! Simple.

Erm we are in the playoff spot,so i think the doing well on the pitch anology is utter tosh,sorry to be blunt. :grin:

Erm we are in the playoff spot,so i think the doing well on the pitch anology is utter tosh,sorry to be blunt. :grin:

Eh we have won something like 9 out of 17 home games so far this season in the League thats hardly promotion form or going to attract fans to Boundary park is it?

There's only 6 home games left this season thank Christ!

Unless by a freak of fortune we do get promotion or we sack frank my ST wont be renewed next year for sure!

Find it hard to believe we'd give away the RRE again, surely we'd easily sell out for the play-offs generating cash.

why do you find it hard to believe....sticking 1800 home fans in there or filling it with away fans paying what they see fit,giving the club much needed income and revenue...they would do it every single time.

we wouldnt sell out for the playoffs,thats the point....the only time we sell out is if we reach the final then all the local city n united fans who want a day out hop on board the waggon.

why do you find it hard to believe....sticking 1800 home fans in there or filling it with away fans paying what they see fit,giving the club much needed income and revenue...they would do it every single time.

we wouldnt sell out for the playoffs,thats the point....the only time we sell out is if we reach the final then all the local city n united fans who want a day out hop on board the waggon.

Good point well made.