how long as a fan?

Ive just read a post where some "LATICS FAN" stated the "happy clappers do what they do best" so it got me thinking

as i understood it we are all oldham fans but there are people with "ambition" or "realism"...see it as you want to see it.

i have a funny feeling the majority of the moaners are fans who have seen league 1 football most of their latics life

and the majority of the "happy clappers" have seen the good times and havent been lumped with utd rammed down their throats all their life.

what i want to know is, how long have you supported latics?

you see......... to me there is no such thing as a happy clapper, theres someone who loves and supports there club no matter what.

p.s i sat with a blackpool fan today at boundary park for the 12th time in 2 seasons, and in his opinion we are are very good side with the worst fans he has ever had the displeasure to sit with......what did we say? ...."its like this every week"

Ive just read a post where some "LATICS FAN" stated the "happy clappers do what they do best" so it got me thinking

as i understood it we are all oldham fans but there are people with "ambition" or "realism"...see it as you want to see it.

i have a funny feeling the majority of the moaners are fans who have seen league 1 football most of their latics life

and the majority of the "happy clappers" have seen the good times and havent been lumped with utd rammed down their throats all their life.

what i want to know is, how long have you supported latics?

you see......... to me there is no such thing as a happy clapper, theres someone who loves and supports there club no matter what.

p.s i sat with a blackpool fan today at boundary park for the 12th time in 2 seasons, and in his opinion we are are very good side with the worst fans he has ever had the displeasure to sit with......what did we say? ...."its like this every week"

I think it's the other way round to be honest. The happy clappers are those that don't know any different and see the chance to get out of this division as relative success. The doom and gloomers are mainly those that have seen the glory days and have seen how far we've fallen.

We all love Latics, and we all want success.

There is no difference other than some of us feel that we are not improving or learning from mistakes and want changes for the good of the club before we lose even more support.

The rest feel that as long as we stick a Latics shirt on we can perform how we like, stagnate and fail to take advantage of the best squad we've had for quite some time yet still deserve adulation.

Funnily enough I've had similar comments whenever I've gone with neutrals to a Latics game. Even when I went with a couple of mates to Leeds away last new years they weren't overly impressed. Their impression was that the only songs sung were anti Leeds/Yorkshire and rarely one backing the team.

We all love Latics, and we all want success.

There is no difference other than some of us feel that we are not improving or learning from mistakes and want changes for the good of the club before we lose even more support.

The rest feel that as long as we stick a Latics shirt on we can perform how we like, stagnate and fail to take advantage of the best squad we've had for quite some time yet still deserve adulation.

Funny thing is, as someone who is probably labelled a "happy clapper" I though the first either/or statement was me. Then you did the 2nd one. Kind of ruined your first line about all loving latics with a snide 2nd category.

Anyway, maybe we aren't learning from mistakes, so we should change the manager AGAIN? Maybe 3 consecutive top 8 places is not enough? Maybe we should do the "make a change" thing - that ALWAYS works. Talbot? Moore? Even the, quickly assuming god-like status, messianic Joe - he never loses, plays better football than clough - Royle.

7,19,14? or 6,8,6(? on the last one - will it drop to 14?)

As for this myth that we're going to lose more and more support (I think it was Cpl Jones who's succesfully petered this into people's heads) - look at the Ritchie years - we went lower and suffered a far more stagnating period. But hey ho, let's get the new success in - it's guaranteed to work!

Funnily enough I've had similar comments whenever I've gone with neutrals to a Latics game. Even when I went with a couple of mates to Leeds away last new years they weren't overly impressed. Their impression was that the only songs sung were anti Leeds/Yorkshire and rarely one backing the team.

You know what I have been thinking about this for ages

What on earth is the point in singing "we all hate leeds scum" or "stand up if you hate man u"

Surely a rendition of zigga zagga or OWTB go marching in would be more encouraging to the team

Funny thing is, as someone who is probably labelled a "happy clapper" I though the first either/or statement was me. Then you did the 2nd one. Kind of ruined your first line about all loving latics with a snide 2nd category.

Anyway, maybe we aren't learning from mistakes, so we should change the manager AGAIN? Maybe 3 consecutive top 8 places is not enough? Maybe we should do the "make a change" thing - that ALWAYS works. Talbot? Moore? Even the, quickly assuming god-like status, messianic Joe - he never loses, plays better football than clough - Royle.

7,19,14? or 6,8,6(? on the last one - will it drop to 14?)

As for this myth that we're going to lose more and more support (I think it was Cpl Jones who's succesfully petered this into people's heads) - look at the Ritchie years - we went lower and suffered a far more stagnating period. But hey ho, let's get the new success in - it's guaranteed to work!

Try to open your mind up to the possibility that you might be wrong. I did, which is why I gave Sheridan another 12 months.

Nothing changed though, despite more cash being thrown at him (Something only Dowie ever had out of the others).

I do look at the Ritchie years, and the Frizzell years, where I stood on the terraces accepting that this is all we can do with the finances and players we have. I never moaned then - because we didn't under achieve (Although I'd be happy to concede that we DID underachieve in Big Joe's last season).

With regard to league positions, they should be relevant to the squad that has been built - and we could quite conceivably finish 10th despite having the best squad for 5 years. Now surely THAT would be a backward step.

I don't need the Corp to tell me support will dwindle - I see it weekly and hear the reasons from the people who no longer go.

If we finish 7th this season the outcome is the same - a wasted opportunity, and who is to say that Sheridan will not change anything next season and we remain a team of potential promotion candidates that became a bunch of also-rans.

Try to open your mind up to the possibility that you might be wrong. I did, which is why I gave Sheridan another 12 months.

Nothing changed though, despite more cash being thrown at him (Something only Dowie ever had out of the others).

I do look at the Ritchie years, and the Frizzell years, where I stood on the terraces accepting that this is all we can do with the finances and players we have. I never moaned then - because we didn't under achieve (Although I'd be happy to concede that we DID underachieve in Big Joe's last season).

With regard to league positions, they should be relevant to the squad that has been built - and we could quite conceivably finish 10th despite having the best squad for 5 years. Now surely THAT would be a backward step.

I don't need the Corp to tell me support will dwindle - I see it weekly and hear the reasons from the people who no longer go.

If we finish 7th this season the outcome is the same - a wasted opportunity, and who is to say that Sheridan will not change anything next season and we remain a team of potential promotion candidates that became a bunch of also-rans.

Ok, first - the "might be wrong" thing. You gave him 12 months (after 6th and 8th?) blimey that's generous. So, tell me, did you want Colin out, Ritchie out, Wadsworth out, Talbot out, and Moore out? Maybe you're wrong now? Maybe the wonder manager is not out there, maybe it's another Talbot or Moore?

You must've done, 'cos none of them achieved as much as Shez has. As for Shez getting backing comparable to Dowie, well, do you really stand by that? Seriously? You can't do. Simple fact is that Moore got backing (remember the RRE meeting - increased prices, push for promotion) and Dowie got crazy money backing - I would guestimate double the wage bill shez is using. Hill, Killen, Wijnard and many more. Even Talbot got his 5 key signings, but they didn'y play much 'cos he picked 5 bad ones.

As for saying league position is relevant to the squad that's been built, well yes, by the manager. Ritchie had a decent wage bill to play with, Moore had one of the best in recent years, Dowie had silly money - did Dowie's achievment with silly money really get where it should have done? And where were the posts in august acclaiming this wonder squad we now seem to have? I can't recall them, but I'm sure you said we should walk this league with the team we had built, and I'm sure you can point me to that very post?

Crossley, Maher, Windass, Byfield, Ormerod, Kabba...all on absolute peanuts, right? And that's just this season. Hughes? An offer on the table to make him one of the highest earners in the clubs history.

Irrelative how much he's had compared to previous managers. You have to compare what he's got, at this moment in time, with other managers in this division. You know, the here and now. Add that to the absolute dross he gets from his money.

It's damning.

E4e

JSOUT

Crossley, Maher, Windass, Byfield, Ormerod, Kabba...all on absolute peanuts, right? And that's just this season. Hughes? An offer on the table to make him one of the highest earners in the clubs history.

Irrelative how much he's had compared to previous managers. You have to compare what he's got, at this moment in time, with other managers in this division. You know, the here and now. Add that to the absolute dross he gets from his money.

It's damning.

E4e

JSOUT

You said the very same thing about Ritchie. And I'll bet Moore and Talbot too.

Aside from dowie's megabucks who else did you back Nik?

Ok, first - the "might be wrong" thing. You gave him 12 months (after 6th and 8th?) blimey that's generous. So, tell me, did you want Colin out, Ritchie out, Wadsworth out, Talbot out, and Moore out? Maybe you're wrong now? Maybe the wonder manager is not out there, maybe it's another Talbot or Moore?

You must've done, 'cos none of them achieved as much as Shez has. As for Shez getting backing comparable to Dowie, well, do you really stand by that? Seriously? You can't do. Simple fact is that Moore got backing (remember the RRE meeting - increased prices, push for promotion) and Dowie got crazy money backing - I would guestimate double the wage bill shez is using. Hill, Killen, Wijnard and many more. Even Talbot got his 5 key signings, but they didn'y play much 'cos he picked 5 bad ones.

As for saying league position is relevant to the squad that's been built, well yes, by the manager. Ritchie had a decent wage bill to play with, Moore had one of the best in recent years, Dowie had silly money - did Dowie's achievment with silly money really get where it should have done? And where were the posts in august acclaiming this wonder squad we now seem to have? I can't recall them, but I'm sure you said we should walk this league with the team we had built, and I'm sure you can point me to that very post?

Simple answers;

Yes. 12 months ago I said we weren't improving and couldn't see it changing - I was right.

Yes. I wanted Moore out. Didn't like what the others were doing but I saw potential with the likes of Croft etc being brought in.

Wasn't keen on Dowie but liked the attitude he instilled in the players (Agree he had money to flash).

I don't remember Ritchie having a decent wage bill to play with - In fact, I played golf with him at the time and he constantly bemoaned the restrictions placed on him.

Sheridan may not have had the same cash injection (Our gates don't bring the revenue) but he's certainly had the same backing.

If you want to search my posts to back up your argument feel free to do so. Don't expect me to do it for you. I've nothing to prove - you clearly have nothing to suggest otherwise, though I will provide you with a post I made 12 months ago which is relevant.

Clicky

If I'm wrong at the end of the season I'll be happy to admit it. Nothings changed for me - clearly you see an improvement.

I'm glad that some people are happy - but I'm harder to please (I'll put my own successes down to that).

i have supported latics since they came into this division in 1974 i think, and many many times i have arrived home and thrown my scarf in the bin in temper. only to get it back out again.

as a latics fan there are more downs than ups. we all realise this surely.

i am 51 now and getting a little tired of it all.

for me its not the budget or anything its shez ability to pick good players,at the start of the season i was happy with the squad and things started well,then when things start going wrong he still uses the same players over and over when they are clearly off the boil and a couple of matches out would do them good,but he doesnt make use of the squad,then he brings in loan players who apart from jones are no better than what we have but they keep our players out of the team/squad. at the end of the day our players care what happens to us loanees just come to play cos they can,t play at there clubs.lastly the old chesnut of no reserves,some of our players re being left to rot and shez doesn,t seem to care less.

I was a Ritchie outer. I can't say I was particularly one way or the other re: Moore and Talbot but they were both on a hiding to nothing here, never going to get a fair crack of the whip. However one things for certain, if Moore and Talbot would've been in charge of the last few months of rubbish I'd bet a lot of money that there'd be pretty vocal chants from the terraces to get em out by now. I've heard none so far with Shez.

But going back to me 'saying the very same thing about Ritchie'? Did I? This thread I've spoken about Shez getting the backing other managers would be envious of yet getting little bang for his bucks in return.

Did I really use the money stick to beat Ritchie? Did I really say he had a substantial budget? Or did I merely hold the view that he wasn't up for the job? Truthful answer please.

I tell you what though, I'd have Stitch back tomorrow in place of this numpty.

E4e

JSOUT

I was a Ritchie outer. I can't say I was particularly one way or the other re: Moore and Talbot but they were both on a hiding to nothing here, never going to get a fair crack of the whip. However one things for certain, if Moore and Talbot would've been in charge of the last few months of rubbish I'd bet a lot of money that there'd be pretty vocal chants from the terraces to get em out by now. I've heard none so far with Shez.

But going back to me 'saying the very same thing about Ritchie'? Did I? This thread I've spoken about Shez getting the backing other managers would be envious of yet getting little bang for his bucks in return.

Did I really use the money stick to beat Ritchie? Did I really say he had a substantial budget? Or did I merely hold the view that he wasn't up for the job? Truthful answer please.

E4e

JSOUT

It was clear after 20 minutes yesterday that we were yet again suffering from our strikers being isolated and our midfield being over run. Smalley was contributing little and although Liddle was putting the odd decent ball in he was far from the answer either. What should Shez have done? It was obvious and has been for weeks at home - the issing link between defence and Midfield is Lewi, the wingers at home are not working due to the fact we are being swamped. after 20 minutes yesterday both Liddell and Smally would have been hauled off for Lewi and Whitaker. Whitaker (ideally Lee but he can't catch) with the instruction to get forward and Lewi to have the free role in a front three. Much harder to pick up and would have pulled Col U all over the place.Instead our glorious leader stuck by his insipid 442 system that sees us as transparent as a whore's see through nighty. We have to try something different at home 433 is worth a try imo, 442 with two mout and out wingers was the answer many of us thought earlier in the season - lets be honest; it's been a disaster - we're too easy to read, especially at home.

Shez Out, Pissed Up Clown!

By the way seeing as we have to justify ourselves, 23 years a fan. ST for 10 of those 23 - average 35 games a season.

Royle - Felt he stayed a season too long at BP - would love to see him back.

Sharp - Felt a bit sorry for him, Stott's cheap fall guy

Warnock - Football was :censored:, but the board failed to back him. Was indifferent whether he stayed or not.

Ritchie - Wasn't sorry to see him go, in hindsight the guy worked miracles.

Wadsworth - A fookwit!

Dowie - Thought he was a true leader, then :censored: on us. wouldn't be gutted to see him back here.

Talbot - Went at it like a bull in a china shop, paid the price for not bringing in HIS staff. He had to go...

Ronnie - I renewed my season ticket before he was sacked. I would have given him another year, stabilised us and got us back into the top 10 - the main stand/JK Latics mafia got him sacked.

Shez - He's got to go, the guy like Tinnion at Bristol City is just not up to the job of promotion. yes we're top 10 but with our budget that's the bare minimum given the level of backing he's enjoyed. any fan on here could get this squad into the top 10 - true management skill gets us to take the next step - Shez hasn't the nouse to do so!

Edited by oafcprozac

It was clear after 20 minutes yesterday that we were yet again suffering from our strikers being isolated and our midfield being over run. Smalley was contributing little and although Liddle was putting the odd decent ball in he was far from the answer either. What should Shez have done? It was obvious and has been for weeks at home - the issing link between defence and Midfield is Lewi, the wingers at home are not working due to the fact we are being swamped. after 20 minutes yesterday both Liddell and Smally would have been hauled off for Lewi and Whitaker. Whitaker (ideally Lee but he can't catch) with the instruction to get forward and Lewi to have the free role in a front three. Much harder to pick up and would have pulled Col U all over the place.Instead our glorious leader stuck by his insipid 442 system that sees us as transparent as a whore's see through nighty. We have to try something different at home 433 is worth a try imo, 442 with two mout and out wingers was the answer many of us thought earlier in the season - lets be honest; it's been a disaster - we're too easy to read, especially at home.

Shez Out, Pissed Up Clown!

i agree wholeheartedly with changing the formation..but just what that formation is imnot sure...

4-3-3...midfield gets over run with a 4-4-2 so one less means two of the front have to help out,although hughes does do a lot of defensive work i cant see the other doing it.

4-5-1 would combat being over run in midfield,but would mean players getting forward in support of a lone striker,again we cant get support forward playing a 4-4-2,so would that work..

3-5-2...may work,though it means a lot of helping out in defence...a midfield of maybe taylor,maher,whitts(or lee) allott,smalley could work as you would still have 2 holding and break up players in there with giving clear instructions to the other to get forward,drag people out of position,link between the front 2...

i doubt any of these would be tried,which means its the good old 4-4-2 and obscurity.

teams have worked us out now,we are consistant at being predictable,especially at home,we desperately need some inspiration from someone and somewhere.

I've been standing/sitting in the chaddy since 1980 ish and although i want my team to gain promotions and be successful it's more about being entertained and seeing 100% effort from those wearing the shirt. So some of the managers mentioned in this thread i would have wanted out ie - Talbot, Moore and Warnock because there style of football was :censored:e, don't get me wrong it may well have served a purpose but it wasn't entertaining. Shez claims to want to play the game the right way and sometimes we try to but more often than not this season i've walked out of the chaddy thinking what a pile of :censored:e that was and your never sure what performance your going to get each week ! So we might be in the top six but can you really say we've been entertained consistently ? No it's been mostly dire !

Agree with prozac and ed.

The signs have been there since Stocky away where our central midfield duo were overrun by younger and more spriteful players, dare I say it in the Lee and Stephens mould?

Maher, Allott and Whitts all have their pro's, all have their con's, but they are far too similar. And whichever two play they seem to get overrun more often than they dominate.

They rarely pick it up from our centre halves, nor are they the link between the midfield and the front two.

One of our main tactics of late...and only tactic when we're chasing games at home...is Hughes and Kabba (or AN Other) wheeling off the last man and heading for the corners as Gregan/Hazell prepare to launch one forward. That's it.

Our midfield need to grab games by the scruff of the neck, dominate and dictate. Why can't Shez, one of the greatest exports of this, instil this into his team?

E4e

JSOUT

E4e

JSOUT

No Nik you used the "awwwww we're only top of the table its not good enough" stick to beat Ritchie with, if I recall :wink:

Anyway that looks distinctly like an admission that you were wrong to want Stitch out all them arguments ago!!

Heck hang on, if you were wrong back then.................. :lol: