Cheltenham Races Today

Well, I've not had a chance to post up my tips so far but have been pretty hit and miss as usual, although yesterday was pretty good thanks to Cooldine, Master Minded and Silk Affair.

I'll be interested to see what people make of tomorrow's Gold Cup. I have a sneaky feeling that Denman will silence his critics but wouldn't be surprised to see either Neptune Collonges or Madison Du Berlais beat the two horses everyone'll be talking about.

Otherwise, I'm going:

13:30 - Starluck or Lethal Weapon

14:05 - Aachen

14:40 - Alpha Ridge or The Midnight Club

16:00 - Juveignuer, plus Always Right as an e/w

16:40 - Little Shilling

17:15 - Lorient Express

I say ....... Barber shop :wink:

Totesport Gold Cup

3m 2f, Cheltenham, Friday 13 March 1520 GMT

Number, form, horse's name, age, weight, trainer, jockey.

Odds are a guide for information purposes only.

By Oliver Brett on the BBC ©

Verdict: This race should have been Kauto Star v Denman, the re-match. But both horses have been below par this term, Denman in particular, and it might be time for another Paul Nicholls horse, NEPTUNE COLLONGES, to win a really big race.

Pinsticker's choice:

1 Neptune Collonges 2 Kauto Star 3 Exotic Dancer

Race preview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 1-225 AIR FORCE ONE 7 11-10

Charlie Mann Noel Fehily

Only good enough for fifth in the RSA Chase here last year, and though he has won twice since then his most recent outing - fifth to Kauto Star in the King George - again showed his limitations.

Rating: 6/10 Odds: 20-1

2 3-4P2 ALBERTAS RUN 8 11-10

Jonjo O'Neill Dominic Elsworth

Justified favouritism when winning the RSA Chase 12 months ago and second to Kauto Star in the King George. But weak in between and needs genuinely good ground to have a real chance.

Rating: 6/10 Odds: 16-1

3 21-21 BARBERS SHOP 7 11-10

Nicky Henderson Barry Geraghty

Has done little wrong, with three wins and three seconds in seven starts over fences. The Queen's first Gold Cup runner will attract patriotic cash but needs a monstrous training performance to figure.

Rating: 6/10 Odds: 12-1

4 50PP- CERIUM 8 11-10

Paul Murphy Keith Mercer

Six poor performances since winning at Ascot in November 2006. Don't waste your cash on this one.

Rating: 3/10 Odds: 1000-1

5 111-2 DENMAN 9 11-10

Paul Nicholls Sam Thomas

The cast-iron form he showed up until crushing his stablemate last year was rudely turned on its head when a heart operation sidelined him for 11 months and left him with just one prep race. Finished 23 lengths behind Madison du Berlais at Kempton but many punters think he can still do it again.

Rating: 8/10 Odds: 6-1

6 3-231 EXOTIC DANCER 9 11-10

Jonjo O'Neill Tony McCoy

The Lexus Chase win in December was an important victory for a horse that usually finds one or two too good for him. Has finished second to Kauto Star three times. Just seems to lack the X factor.

Rating: 7/10 Odds: 10-1

7 2-232 HALCON GENELARDAIS 9 11-10

Alan King Robert Thornton

The feeling pervades that, though consistent, he just lacks the class to win at the Festival. Has never won any race at Cheltenham, for instance, and was pulled up in the 2007 Gold Cup.

Rating: 5/10 Odds: 50-1

8 2-1U1 KAUTO STAR 9 11-10

Paul Nicholls Ruby Walsh

You might have heard of him. Double winner of this before passing the crown onto Denman last year, he was beaten by Our Vic weeks later at Aintree, and unseated Sam Thomas last November. Despite his customary Boxing Day success, enough doubt to oppose.

Rating: 8/10 Odds: 15-8

9 UP-10 KNOWHERE 11 11-10

Nigel Twiston-Davies Paddy Brennan

Like many Twiston-Davies horses, he is almost unbeatable early in the season, but tends to fade afterwards. And at 11 everything would tell you he is too old to be a contender for this.

Rating: 4/10 Odds: 100-1

10 F-611 MADISON DU BERLAIS 8 11-10

David Pipe Tom Scudamore

He is no lover of Cheltenham's undulations, and would barely be worth considering were it not for his two recent successes, both of which surprised the punters.

Rating: 6/10 Odds: 9-1

11 2P-0U MIKO DE BEAUCHENE 9 11-10

Robert & Sally Alner Andrew Thornton

Has had his moments in the past, but has been in wretched form this season. One to avoid.

12 23/-5 MY WILL 9 11-10

Paul Nicholls Nick Scholfield

An unknown quantity, who has had just one race since April 2007, when coming fifth in the Hennessy last November at 33-1. Needs to find plenty.

13 131-F NEPTUNE COLLONGES 8 11-10

Paul Nicholls Christian Williams

Popular grey who has won 10 of his 17 chases in all, he is a real Jekyll and Hyde when it comes to jumping. Assuming he gets it right, this can be his year, taking into account the imperfect preparation of his more vaunted stablemates.

Rating: 8/10 Odds: 5-1

14 5-13P ROLL ALONG 9 11-10

Carl Llewellyn Graham Lee

Won an early-season handicap at Ascot, but two poor performances subsequently leave him well exposed here.

Rating: 4/10 Odds: 50-1

15 1320P SNOOPY LOOPY 11 11-10

Peter Bowen Seamus Durack

Enjoying a fine autumn to his career, but his only previous Festival appearance was four years ago when he disappointed.

Rating: 5/10 Odds: 100-1

16 3-024 STAR DE MOHAISON 8 11-10

Paul Nicholls Paul Carberry

So impressive as a novice, he won the RSA Chase in 2006, a year in which he won five straight races. Was then badly disrupted by a tendon injury and will struggle to feature.

Rating: 5/10 Odds: 25-1

Well, I've not had the best of festivals, but here are my thoughts for what its worth.

1.30 Triumph Hurdle. Belting race to start and I do like Walkon. The stats say the winner of this won lto and have won more than two hurdle races. Of the prinicpals, this leaves Walkon and Zaynar, and I think Walkon (who has course form) can avenge its defeat to Zaynar (when giving him weight).

In the 2.05 Dave's Dream goes for a 75k bonus, but I'm not convince he'll be able to do it. I like the look of Sunnyhillboy.

I've no fancy for the 2.40.

The Gold Cup is, as always, intriguing. Will Denman be anywhere near as good as last year? I don't think so. I'm actually quite surprised its running. I'm not totally convinced by Neptune Collenges either.

Which leaves Kauto Star. He holds Exotic Dancer clearly on form and was impressive in the King George. The ground, which was against him last year, has come good for him and the only real negative I can see is that former champs don't regain their crown.

I'm not sure Barber Shop has the class to win and think Star de Mohaison could run into a place at a big price.

The foxhunters is likely to be anarchy, but Juveigneur seems in good form. I'll not be getting involved.

And then its a case of choosing which David Pipe horse to side with in the 4.40 Martin Pipe Hurdle. The market will tell you its between Mamlook and Big Eared Fran. I can't decide.

Best of luck to all having a punt. Let's hope the Gold Cup lives up to expectation.

I think Dave's Dream will take a lot of beating at 2-05 if he is over last Saturday's exertions in the Imperial Cup where he absolutely bolted up, he is due to go up 13lbs in the handicap after today and I think the bonus can be landed.

In the 2-40 I really like Pride of Dulcote who would be unbeaten this season had he not fallen here when cantering at the second last back in December, Cape Tribulation will be no pushover but I think he will have to give best today and Pride of Dulcote is my best bet of the day.

Just the two for today, good luck if you are having a bet.