Manager Situation

Hello there all!

I'm new on here, season ticket holder in the RRE and fellow Latic of course.

I was as delighted as anyone with the appointment of King Royle but disappointed to an extent with it only being until the end of the season, as we can't expect too much from him in such a short space of time. I do apologise if this has already been discussed elsewhere or if there is another topic, I didn't have time to check.

I just wondered what people's opinions were on who they would like to see in charge next season, of course I would like to see Royle to continue but its whether he will want to. I also wondered if anybody thought that Jim Gannon - from our neighbours and fierce rivals Stockport - would be a good man to place in charge and hopefully take our club forward.

Hope I don't get slaughtered for suggesting such a rival for our club but I'm sure you're all friendly enough! Hope to hear back from plenty of you!

If Joe doesn't stay on I'd expect the board to approach Gannon (possibly done already?) but I think my preference would be Kieth Hill at Dale.

I suspect whoever is in charge come August will bring in quite a few new faces and start building a squad, most probably on a reduced budget.

Yeah good suggestion of Keith Hill, I hadn't thought of him. I think no matter who is in charge will make sure we see plenty of faces passing through the doors, coming or going that is. They will certainly want to make a mark on the squad and the only way they will be able to do that is thinning the squad first.

I certainly wouldn't have an objection with Gannon and I think it would be a good choice and very possible with his current contract problems and the clubs very bad money troubles.

Hi,

An excellent topic for conversation created here. From reading the posts so far it seems that its a competition between Jim Gannon and Keith Hill due to the uncertainty surrounding Joe Royle.

Seeing as this is the case I see that there really isn't an argument, and Jim Gannon is the better choice. He has already proven he is better tactically after out witting Keith Hill in last year League 2 play-off final.

To many people, Jim Gannon is the best young manager around and from the budget he has had a Stockport County you cannot deny his achievements last season and this season must rank alongside David Moyes of Everton if we are looking for a relevant comparison.

If Jim Gannon is in the dugout in August then I for one will be a very happy Latics fan looking forward to a prosperous season, and my brother (being a Stockport Fan) will be on suicide risk as his club contemplate there very existence.

Anthony

If Jim Gannon is in the dugout in August then I for one will be a very happy Latics fan looking forward to a prosperous season, and my brother (being a Stockport Fan) will be on suicide risk as his club contemplate there very existence.

From what I know / heard he's the last person I'd like to have as my teams manager. Nope I'm not going to expand on this at present.

Gannon built a good young side on a shoe string budget and also got the best out of players such as a certain Craig Davies where Shez failed. As bad as Davies' attitude could seem to be, when he returned from Stockport he was like a new player and I for one was disappointed to see him go. Most Stockport fans I imagine would have been preparing themselves for a season of existing in this league at best, but were it not for the financial difficulties arising in January that now threaten the club they would still be pushing for a play-off place. Oldham would be a very good step up for Gannon and no doubt the backroom staff that would follow him and would benefit both Gannon and Latics.

But Keith Hill would also be a more than adequate man should Royle either not be offered or not want the job next season. He has again showed this season that Rochdale are no longer the relegation fighting side of the past.

But in a sport now run as a business primarily and us having no real financial clout, Gannon would undoubtedly be the cheaper option as I'm sure his contract is due to expire.

This may all be irrelevant should Royle continue past May.

Alan Knill is the Bury manager. I think he did a reasonable job at Rotherham too.

If Big Joe didn't stay (and like a previous poster said, we don't know what's going to happen this season yet!!) then I think Paul Ince could be the one they might go for. He has proved himself in the lower leagues and would demand respect from the players. He didn't get enough time at Blackburn. Having said all that, I doubt he would agree to come. He's probably holding out for a club at a higher level.

Whilst Gannon, Hill and Knill are doing decent work at local clubs, there are plenty of other managers around the leagues doing good jobs from further afield, Paul Simpson at Shrewsbury for example. I'll throw in Mark Robins as a wildcard too!

But in a sport now run as a business primarily and us having no real financial clout, Gannon would undoubtedly be the cheaper option as I'm sure his contract is due to expire.

I believe he has a one year rolling contract.

Whether or not it has fixed review periods where either side can opt out I don't know.

I would guess waiting for County to go in to administration would mean his contract could be bought out at a reduced price.

I have also heard that he hasn't been paid. This could put County in breach of contract which would enable him to walk away.

How accurate is all this info? No idea.

I think Oldham Athletic would be a natural progression for him as a manager. He may consider himself above us.

Edited by opinions4u

I have also heard that he hasn't been paid. This could put County in breach of contract which would enable him to walk away.

I heard Stockport have taken a loan off the PFA or something to pay wages and because of this have been stopped from signing anyone else.

Joe has already said he would not have taken the job if it wasn't for the possibility of a trip to Wembley. Therefore I assume he would not want to carry on next season if we had not been promoted.

There will be lots of managers available at the end of the season.

I think Joe will decide to stay no matter what happens this season.

I think Joe will decide to stay no matter what happens this season.

I'm not so sure, if that was the case why would they come out and say its only till the end of the season. As I see it - which is only my opinion and a wild guess - is that Joe was an experienced and available coach who would come in at short notice, cost nothing in terms of compensation and still give us a chance of the play-off's while the board decide on a new manager and let Joe go on his way in May. But as I say, I could be very wrong and couldn't be further from the truth. Only time will tell.