Religulous

Ackey

For those who are unaware of this film please see the above trailer and either IDMB (here) or Wiki (here). It's from director Larry Charles and American comedian Bill Maher and is based around the ludicrous (in my opinion) belief that religion has a place in modern society, hence the title.

There is an interview with both on the excellent CBC show The Hour, which you can see below, which explains the basis for the movie and the motivation behind it. It points out the fact that in the United States there is no representation for atheists on the political stage, the fact that if you believe in a talking snake you really shouldn't be in a position of power and that Maher especially is exceptionally unapologetic for his opinions - something I have immeasurable respect for.

Overall the movie lacks a pro-religious voice. This is not to say that this voice has a rational argument to make or any place, in my opinion once more, in modern society - but if you're to make of a movie of this nature you do have to give this aspect a representation of some kind. However that's not to detract from an excellent film on the irrationality of faith in the modern world and the detrimental effect religion has on all peoples.

The people interview make the continued argument of faith, one which I will not even begin to address, and also that 'you don't understand' - one which I find highly offensive coming from a collection of people who will not accept a rational and reasonable argument which is counter to their opinion.

Further to the films point, and my personal object to religion comes in two main parts;

1. That religion is an exclusive ideology. That a Christian (for example) who rapes children has more chance of entering heaven than a non Christian who leads a 'good' life of, for example, honesty and kindness.

2. That creationists (a very vocal and significant portion of religious societies) will argue and highlight with weaknesses of Darwinism whilst refusing to accept even the most obvious of criticisms aimed at their dogmatic beliefs.

I hope that this makes people think, and I encourage you all to see this film and to read anti-religious protagonists such as Dawkins.

am looking forward to seeing that, I find the whole 'God' thing in America more than a little freaky. It's good that people are putting the opposite view out.

I know Dawkins shares most of my views on the matter and he's a very clever chap and all but does anyone else out there, who isnt religious, find him a bit of a cock?

I know Dawkins shares most of my views on the matter and he's a very clever chap and all but does anyone else out there, who isnt religious, find him a bit of a cock?

Exactly how I feel. I love his work, but he's a complete :censored:.

Bill Hicks was saying all this in 1992.

I think anyone thinking of going watching this new film must watch this clip first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHey5g56CIs

Edit: As Carl pointed out. By the way, can a mod embed this purlease?

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

I saw the film last year. It is good but I was surprised at the lack of reaction to it here. It was largely ignored - unless I'm not watching enough Christian right wing propaganda TV... :grin:

Bill Maher is a fantastic comedian/political commentator. I've seen him do his stand-up show about 5 times and when his show is on tv we pay to get the HBO channel is he is now on. Not sure if it's mentioned in this thread but he was fired from his network TV show ("Politically Incorrect") when he said the terrorists were not cowards in the 9/11 attacks.

Here's the wikipedia version

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Maher

Edited by martjs

I saw the film last year. It is good but I was surprised at the lack of reaction to it here. It was largely ignored - unless I'm not watching enough Christian right wing propaganda TV... :grin:

It was the second highest % gross when it came out aparently. But I find that hard to believe without some creative accounting going on.

Also, 16% of Americans now claim to be atheist or agnostic... something I find astonishing. He points it out in the film, but the % of Gay's in America is 3%, Jews less still, and so forth with other well represented (politically, socially etc) minorities whilst to say your an atheist in the US is a stigma and many find they can't admit it in their country club or work place or they will become subjected to subtle prejudices. Crazy.

It was the second highest % gross when it came out aparently. But I find that hard to believe without some creative accounting going on.

Also, 16% of Americans now claim to be atheist or agnostic... something I find astonishing. He points it out in the film, but the % of Gay's in America is 3%, Jews less still, and so forth with other well represented (politically, socially etc) minorities whilst to say your an atheist in the US is a stigma and many find they can't admit it in their country club or work place or they will become subjected to subtle prejudices. Crazy.

Was the 2nd highest % gross for that particular opening weekend? I'm not being funny but they like to use that stat here.

One thing I just thought of though about the US & religion: how come I'm working on Good Friday and Easter Monday? :grin:

"It's the Jews you know - they control everything in America"... Before Bob gets his guns out, that's what I was told a looong time ago when I was living in Oldham.

Was the 2nd highest % gross for that particular opening weekend? I'm not being funny but they like to use that stat here.

One thing I just thought of though about the US & religion: how come I'm working on Good Friday and Easter Monday? :grin:

"It's the Jews you know - they control everything in America"... Before Bob gets his guns out, that's what I was told a looong time ago when I was living in Oldham.

:lol:

I love that fact... Christians, by the letter of their own law, should not eat a whole heap of :censored: including Pork, Shell Fish and loads more... how many are strict when it comes to Homosexuality but will happily go out for a nice lobster dinner? Mentalists.

:lol:

I love that fact... Christians, by the letter of their own law, should not eat a whole heap of :censored: including Pork, Shell Fish and loads more... how many are strict when it comes to Homosexuality but will happily go out for a nice lobster dinner? Mentalists.

There are several instances in the Bible where Jesus breaks a strict reading of Judaic law - this is taken by many Christians to mean that he was replacing said law. More likely he was doing standard Rabbi stuff and debating the proper way to follow it in certain circumstances.

There are several instances in the Bible where Jesus breaks a strict reading of Judaic law - this is taken by many Christians to mean that he was replacing said law. More likely he was doing standard Rabbi stuff and debating the proper way to follow it in certain circumstances.

Or maybe the guy writing the book just forgot the rule when he was making up the next chapter? You see it in films all the time, smashed windows reapear, people killed in first film reappear in the sequal and so on! :wink:

I could've been Jesus according to the bumf Mark gave to Soccer AM about me... who wants to be Moses?

I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't recognise himself from the Bible - he plainly thought he was the Jewish Messiah, and tried to throw the Romans out and become king of Israel, but it didn't quite work out - yet he is painted out as the Messiah despite doing none of the things that go in the job spec. Weird.

I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't recognise himself from the Bible - he plainly thought he was the Jewish Messiah, and tried to throw the Romans out and become king of Israel, but it didn't quite work out - yet he is painted out as the Messiah despite doing none of the things that go in the job spec. Weird.

Not forgetting he's fictitious too.

Not forgetting he's fictitious too.

Jesus existed, I'm pretty sure of that. It's not plausible that such a movement grew up around someone who didn't exist. As for Christianity, you need to look to St Paul for it's origins - he wrote most of the New Testament without a single good thing to say about Judaism, which Jesus was part of, whilst the Jesus movement carried on in Israel under the leadership of Jesus' brother (as you would expect in a movement based on him being the rightfull king as the descendant of David). There are Roman accounts of interviewing his family after they suppressed the uprising in 73 AD, he isn't a made up person, he just wasn't either the Jewish Messiah or the Son of God that the wierdo Paul made him out to be.

I know you're right... but like you say Paul basically made him up. :)

Paul's writings and teachings must have been at least something like in touch with what the Jerusalem church were up to when he started, or they wouldn't have bothered to bring him in for a bollocking and to purify himself according to Jewish law and accept James' authority, which he accepted. No doubt he went a different way later on which is where you got the focus on the mystical heaven/hell stuff which is (as I understand it) not in tune with Judaism, which is at heart about how to live in the world as it is. I stand to be corrected by our Jewish members of course.

Football-free Easter Sunday urged (BBC Article)

Best Quote from the whole article: Dr Sentamu added: "The amazing thing about England is that we are not trying to force religion down people's throats, but there is a culture, a tradition, a way of behaving."

Basically saying we're not trying to force our religion on you, we just don't want you to play on days which we consider holy... but if you don't believe in it you should still respect our tradition and not play... how about you go jump old fella? No one cares!