Smaller Budget? No Problem

I'm not much given to optimism but after the amount of money that has been wasted this season I really don't see a smaller budget next year as being a big issue. It's incredible that a club that started the season with arguably seven first team strikers had to sign another four and still ended up with a winger playing centre forward. Add signings such as Kalala and Thompson and if next season's manager has the merest hint of a vague idea of how to build a proper squad then having, say, ten less wages to play with really shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not much given to optimism but after the amount of money that has been wasted this season I really don't see a smaller budget next year as being a big issue. It's incredible that a club that started the season with arguably seven first team strikers had to sign another four and still ended up with a winger playing centre forward. Add signings such as Kalala and Thompson and if next season's manager has the merest hint of a vague idea of how to build a proper squad then having, say, ten less wages to play with really shouldn't be an issue.

You make a good point, particularly regarding our striker folly.

Like most Latics fans I couldn't wait for this season to finish and frankly, wasn't looking forward to next season and it's reduced budget. Talk of John Wardle getting involved raised my spirits briefly until the talk turned to nothing.

However, my Latics dynamo is building up inside me again as I consider that Big Joe might be staying past the end of the season.

I'm firmly of the opinion that Joe's the best manager for Oldham at the moment and although results haven't picked up since his return, I'm confident the slide has been arrested. I'm well aware that TTA have been vocal about reducing next year's budget but that was pre-Royle. Few people know what budget has been offered to Joe but I suspect he wouldn't want to be expected to turn water into wine. That in itself gives me grounds for optimism. Give him a top half of the table budget (something he's never had at Oldham) and I think he'll do well. Very well in fact.

Anyone who doubts his man-management skills should read Paul Rideout's views in this BBC article.

He may be older but that only makes you wiser, right?

You make a good point, particularly regarding our striker folly.

Like most Latics fans I couldn't wait for this season to finish and frankly, wasn't looking forward to next season and it's reduced budget. Talk of John Wardle getting involved raised my spirits briefly until the talk turned to nothing.

However, my Latics dynamo is building up inside me again as I consider that Big Joe might be staying past the end of the season.

I'm firmly of the opinion that Joe's the best manager for Oldham at the moment and although results haven't picked up since his return, I'm confident the slide has been arrested. I'm well aware that TTA have been vocal about reducing next year's budget but that was pre-Royle. Few people know what budget has been offered to Joe but I suspect he wouldn't want to be expected to turn water into wine. That in itself gives me grounds for optimism. Give him a top half of the table budget (something he's never had at Oldham) and I think he'll do well. Very well in fact.

Anyone who doubts his man-management skills should read Paul Rideout's views in this BBC article.

He may be older but that only makes you wiser, right?

I'm bemused by anyone who deosn't think Royle is the best possible option. We either have a vastly experienced manager who has had success in every job he has had and genuinely cares about the club, or a lower league journeyman, or an unproven low profile man who if he's any good will have his eye on the next job. No contest for me

I'm bemused by anyone who deosn't think Royle is the best possible option. We either have a vastly experienced manager who has had success in every job he has had and genuinely cares about the club, or a lower league journeyman, or an unproven low profile man who if he's any good will have his eye on the next job. No contest for me

I think it comes down to how much you know about football to be fair...those saying Joe isn't right for us (either, coz he's not wanted elsewhere or coz of the BS "ya don't go back twice" line) really don't have a clue...especially after them (so-called...coz can't agree on one of them) journeymen managers we've had... I don't want his legendary status tarnished...but hey...what's he to lose? We've thrown everything else possible at it, as you've mentioned, so really...Joe has nothing to lose at all IMO. If he does spend 3yrs here and doesn't do it...then it won't be for the want of knowledge nor trying!

Edited by boundaryblue80

I think it comes down to how much you know about football to be fair...those saying Joe isn't right for us (either, coz he's not wanted elsewhere or coz of the BS "ya don't go back twice" line) really don't have a clue...especially after them (so-called...coz can't agree on one of them) journeymen managers we've had... I don't want his legendary status tarnished...but hey...what's he to lose? We've thrown everything else possible at it, as you've mentioned, so really...Joe has nothing to lose at all IMO. If he does spend 3yrs here and doesn't do it...then it won't be for the want of knowledge nor trying!

I suppose in all fairness tha the two who clould be classed as journeymen, Warnock and Moore, have had plenty of success everywhere else so it probably says more about the club than it does about them! Add Graeme "the club can't match my ambition" (which turned out to be serving the drinks at Goodison) Sharp and all the others and it's a sorry tale.

if there is to be a smaller budget for players then jr wont stick around,

joe royle is ok if he as money to spend!!!! how can anybody say he as done a good job when we have only took 3 points out of a possible 18 he as done no different to j s,

joe royle is ok if he as money to spend!!!! how can anybody say he as done a good job when we have only took 3 points out of a possible 18 he as done no different to j s,

Which if you look at another way, was with more or less the same players minus a few if you include the ones Joe has and should have) offloaded.

So it boils down the players.

Many of whom are seeking contracts at the end of the season.

Other thans tarting from scratch Joe won;t get much more of a clean sweep.

That said, personally I would not expect promotion next season with such an upheaval. I'd be really happy with play offs, and expected mid table.

But a very good initial point. The majority of the extra has been spent on proven, but injured or out of form strikers. Use some of that beter, and we could do OK.